Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Dregs posted:

This is write-up some guy did pointing out some problems with Frostgrave. I really like some of the ideas de-emphasizing kill XP for wizards so they don't snowball away from the more peaceful casters. http://www.bad-karma.net/frostgrave-campaign-change-recommendations/

These seem pretty great since some of the issues he lists are big problems I had with Mordheim (snowballing and such). Additionally I REALLY like their attempts to make wizards that aren't just all in on attack spells usable. I also appreciate having characters with fun stories they've gained through injuries and such rather than just a cloning vat popping out replacements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Yeah, I was really digging Illusionist until I read it. Hopefully my group institutes some of these changes.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Has the designer responded to any of these criticisms? Of any of them it feels like having certain schools of magic just be totally better because of the way the XP system is set up should be something that he'd want to fix.

EDIT: Cool thanks!

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 29, 2015

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

Radish posted:

Has the designer responded to any of these criticisms? Of any of them it feels like having certain schools of magic just be totally better because of the way the XP system is set up should be something that he'd want to fix.

There's a thread with errata and clarifications on http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=80477.0

I haven't had time to read all the replies but that should be the place to look for "official" Frostgrave communication.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

The Dregs posted:

Yeah, I was really digging Illusionist until I read it. Hopefully my group institutes some of these changes.

I'm thinking an Illusionist with no damage spells (or any other wizard for that matter) and should probably just get XP if his warband killed a soldier, apprentice or wizard, not him personally. If he used Glow on someone up in the tower so his archers could hit him that really is a team effort. Probably would have to tweak the amount somewhat so people don't go for just brawls but treasure stays important. Maybe 10/25/50, but I'm afraid it would paint too big a target on wizards. Then again, they already are the ones everyone should be after.

I really like the idea of this game, but the more I read the FAQ and look at issues addressed here the more I feel that it is a sloppy product. Unclear rules, balancing issues, the writer agreeing that he would love to rewrite parts of it now that he is getting feedback, etc.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I interpreted the rules as if you Wizard secures a kill. So if a solider you buffed gets a kill or uses a potion you brewed for them to get a kill or an enemy solider you debuffed is then killed that's a kill for your Wizard. I don't like changing it to a system where you get EXP just for casting a spell for a couple of reasons. It gives an advantage to Wizards who use general sera of effect spells then those who use spells that require line of sight in enemies. A bigger reason is that is destroys the risk and reward system I feel is a big part of the Wizards. The Wizards are the most powerful part of a war band but also it's entire backbone. Someone who wants a front line battle caster wizard has to be careful to not put themselves in a spot where they could get permanent damage or outright killed. If you make it so EXP is just tied to if a spell was successful or not a Wizard who's putting themselves at risk and a Wizard parked in the corner of the map casting general AoE spells will get the same EXP even though one is clearly more dangerous then the other. It also destroys trying to cast risky, higher chance of failure spells. Why put levels into new spells or try a spell with a higher roll when I can just get really easy spells and get the same EXP for it?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I finally got to try this out earlier.

Due to some hilariously bad rolling on the random encounters table, the match basically turned into a coop game.

On one flank an ice troll came onto the board and proceeded to flatten an infantryman from each side, plus a hapless animal companion and was frighteningly close to my wizard, while my opponent's barely avoided being eaten by a vampire on the other flank.

At which point we figured that maybe it was best if we cut our losses and just try to escape.

It was pretty fun.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Cross-posting from the Oath thread!

I decided to go with lineoleum tile for my table surface, because in my heart I am both cheap and lazy.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Just looking for opinion, what school of magic do you think this guy would fit most?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Illusionist maybe?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
That dude is full on soothsayer

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Can someone tell me if this looks like a decent starting warband? I am seriously considering dropping the Knight for an apothecary, but I want at least one dude with a shield because I bought a box of Hail Caesar! Celts and they have awesome shield decals.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Dregs posted:

Can someone tell me if this looks like a decent starting warband? I am seriously considering dropping the Knight for an apothecary, but I want at least one dude with a shield because I bought a box of Hail Caesar! Celts and they have awesome shield decals.

Where is that Warband builder? Cuz that'd be rad.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

QuasiQuack posted:

I was thinking about waiting until after release to hear more about it, but this sealed the deal for me! Hoping it'll be decently popular here in Norway.
Do we know which schools of magic are aligned yet? Illusionist looks fun.

This is way back, but you don't live near Bergen by any chance?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Where is that Warband builder? Cuz that'd be rad.

http://www.battletortoise.com/frostgrave/roster.html

My son and I played our first battle today, while reading the rules out of the book at the same time. Mistakes were made. But we did learn a lot of things.

I used the illusionist list I posted a few above. He was a necro. The illusionist was cool, but his aligned schools are sigilist, soothsayer, and thaumaturgy. Which means illusionists basically have no damage spells. Once my son figured that out, he parked his necro and apprentice in the middle of the board and starting loving my dudes up. He had a hard time hurting my wiz+apprentice because of Beauty (awesome spell!), but he was safe and he knew it. My Transposes and Teleports and Mind Controls weren't enough to win. They just pissed him off.

Also, Summons are awesome. Even lovely zombies and imps are great spells.

We had two rules questions that are basically the same. One. He had an illusionary warrior. It got into combat with my guy and managed to win for three rounds, but it couldn't do damage. Were we right in playing it that my guy couldn't walk away even though he wasn't being hurt? Also, the illusion had no armor stat. Does that mean I only have to win the combat by 1 in order to kill it? Or, do I assume it has an armor of 10 like everything else not wearing armor? We had the same question about the Bones of the Earth spell. You have to attack and damage it to get free, but it has no armor stat.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 1, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Got my Frostgrave book in the mail. I love the way the book looks and feels, especially for the price. The layout is very clean and the art is very good.

If I can get anyone on board with this I'm going to go on a shopping spree for minis. I want to use Reaper's Scribe as a Sigilist.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I wonder if anyone is gonna get pissy because the only dude in the book who isn't pasty white is the witch doctor looking dude. He black.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Not a viking posted:

This is way back, but you don't live near Bergen by any chance?

Sadly not. I live near Oslo :shobon:

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

The Dregs posted:

I wonder if anyone is gonna get pissy because the only dude in the book who isn't pasty white is the witch doctor looking dude. He black.

That's not even true. There are Arab-looking wizards in the book and official miniature range, and you can use whatever models you want for the game anyway.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
You're right! I missed the Arab dudes! Good we have browns too, I am using a scantily clad Egyptian looking girl from Bones for my wiz, as she seems to fit most archetypes.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Now that people have had this for a while and hopefully played some games, how long does a usual game tend to take? I know there is no built in limit to turns but I would probably implement one - so in that case, how long to play out to five or six turns?

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

The Dregs posted:

You're right! I missed the Arab dudes! Good we have browns too, I am using a scantily clad Egyptian looking girl from Bones for my wiz, as she seems to fit most archetypes.

You (and others) should check out http://thedicebaglady.net/frostgrave-miniatures/ She's selling some great stuff for alternative Frostgrave warbands. Including badass female warrior heads which fits the normal Frostgrave soldiers. Also tons of female miniatures that fit well in the Frostgrave universe.

Or play with your Blood Bowl team like my buddy did the other day. Frostgrave owns.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Baron FU posted:

You (and others) should check out http://thedicebaglady.net/frostgrave-miniatures/ She's selling some great stuff for alternative Frostgrave warbands. Including badass female warrior heads which fits the normal Frostgrave soldiers. Also tons of female miniatures that fit well in the Frostgrave universe.

I need this model. I don't know about ordering from Europe though. Never done it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

The Dregs posted:

I need this model. I don't know about ordering from Europe though. Never done it.

Man if you don't order from Europe you're closing yourself off to many of the best minis/bits out there.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Played my second game with my son today. I was schooling him so bad that I felt guilty. I couldn't roll below 15 and he couldn't roll above 9. It was amazing. Didn't last though. We were playing the Keep scenario, where there are little teleporting discs all over the place. A snow troll walked straight towards my man-at-arms, clipped a disc, and teleported in front of my Soothsayer. Then he critted her. I conceded shortly after that.

Here is a rules question. If someone walks into combat with a model that has beauty up, and fails the roll, what happens? Does he stay in contact? Do they take a swing at him? Are they just considered to have won combat? If they try to walk away, can he force combat even though he failed to attack because she is too pretty?

We need more scenery.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Dregs posted:

Oh my god, a goddamn banjo witch :allears:

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

The Dregs posted:

Here's a US source, though I do want to support the awesome UK lady looking to have more realistic female minis.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You can buy the female head sprues (typing that is weird) straight from the source if you want, shipping to the US is a flat rate: http://www.statuesqueminiatures.co.uk/

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!

The Dregs posted:

Hey, you finally pushed me into signing up!

Annie here from The Dice Bag Lady/Bad Squiddo Games!

Thanks to the guy who mentioned my site! I post worldwide, every day. It's a flat rate which only changes if you order really heavy things overseas (mostly the bigger 4ground buildings and some of the metal SAGA boxes as they really pack in the kilos!) or request an upgraded courier, so it's £2.95 UK, £3.95 overseas. Until I get around to upgrading the cart (lack of time, one woman business!) you just need to click the button on the product page that adds the extra £1 (as it can't be done at the cart).

We're all groovy here in Europe! The cart goes through Paypal so all secure. Customers in America keep telling me that my parcels get there quicker than when they order from... America. So that's cool.

The Statuesque heads are absolutely stunning. I set up a conversion page for all the heads, as I received four different packs from Crooked Dice on Friday which would also fit in nicely, if you want longer hair on them, or even a sweet 'fro. http://thedicebaglady.net/female-miniatures-conversion-parts/ There's the main Frostgrave page here too with more FG goodness. http://thedicebaglady.net/frostgrave/ I'll be ordering in all the metal packs tomorrow as well as some alternative warhounds. The alt minis page will be growing as I'm actively looking for more wizards now!

----

I haven't played Frostgrave yet myself, though I have read the book. I've picked a warband out of my shop of various female minis which I've sent off for a guy to paint. This is the first time I've ever paid someone to paint my own models (not including for trade show display, I mean my own, personal stuff), which is a bit of a weird feeling, but every surface in my living room is crammed with a sad, unfinished project of assembled/undercoated minis which means I end up losing enthusiasm, so seen as it's only a handful of models (although detailed ones!), I can justify getting someone else to do it. Then they can at least travel around the shows with me and hopefully earning the painting cost back at least by making people buy the unpainted ones! I just glanced around, yeah there's Freebooters, SAGA, Perry (for Lion Rampant), Wrath of Kings & Age of Sigmar all sat here judging me.

The appeal for me is the simplicity, low model count, and general aesthetic. I don't play any roleplay because of not having the time to commit, but also always needing "that guy", the one who's been GMing for 20 years and understands the tomes! I don't have a "that guy" in my current social circle, and not the time (this is a theme) to become "that guy" either. This has the same feel but without that heaviness. The campaign ad in the back of the book looks like there will be lots coming as well to keep it alive and fresh. It looks like the perfect evening beer and hangout game, as opposed to banging your head on a desk while two people make flapping noises rifling through rulebooks for an hour to clarify whether you can climb the ruined wall or not. Also, it's just a good excuse to use some models you really like. And so easy to theme a warband too. (all goblins perhaps, or even pig faced orcs)

---

Hope that was useful, always happy to answer any other questions regarding the shop, there's a contact page on the site too so it doesn't end up overtaking this thread.

Cheers!
Annie

ParsleyTroll
Nov 26, 2007
Those conversion heads are awesome, I've been wishing for something just like that! Will be sure to get some of those.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Impressive! I love your sculpts, I will definitely be ordering some soon. Does anyone know if Hail Caesar! is heroic scale? I honestly can't tell by looking at my models, but I doubt it. I ended up using their Celts for my warband because the Frostgrave stuff got held up in customs and I got impatient.

That banjo witch will be in my warband either way, no doubt about it.
(edit) never mind. Half the Celts are shirtless.

(double edit)

Oh poo poo y'all Arya Stark!

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 3, 2015

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!
Cheers! I don't think Hail Caesar is particularly heroic scale but I have learnt through stocking from so many manufacturers that one guys 28mm is another guys 32mm heroic, so as long as your guys all fit together then it doesn't really matter. It's like using Perry for Warhammer, they don't fit too great with Empire troops, but if you do it well, it doesn't matter. In terms of scale of the heads I stock, the standard Statuesque ones are the smallest, Crooked Dice in the middle and Statuesque Heroic for the biggest. I think the last two will fit on pretty much anything, but I wouldn't use the small Statuesque for Warhammer or anything too bulky.

The bald conversion heads arrived this morning, I might have a crack at sculpting some hairdos on them!

Arya Stark is ace, I'm using her a thief.

I listed my warband in the link below, but I might tweak it a bit, I want a hound!

http://thedicebaglady.net/annies-frostgrave-warband/

Anniiiie

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

TheDiceBagLady posted:

Cheers! I don't think Hail Caesar is particularly heroic scale but I have learnt through stocking from so many manufacturers that one guys 28mm is another guys 32mm heroic, so as long as your guys all fit together then it doesn't really matter. It's like using Perry for Warhammer, they don't fit too great with Empire troops, but if you do it well, it doesn't matter. In terms of scale of the heads I stock, the standard Statuesque ones are the smallest, Crooked Dice in the middle and Statuesque Heroic for the biggest. I think the last two will fit on pretty much anything, but I wouldn't use the small Statuesque for Warhammer or anything too bulky.

The bald conversion heads arrived this morning, I might have a crack at sculpting some hairdos on them!

Arya Stark is ace, I'm using her a thief.

I listed my warband in the link below, but I might tweak it a bit, I want a hound!

http://thedicebaglady.net/annies-frostgrave-warband/

Anniiiie

Not to be a pain, but protocol on Something Awful is to leave posts unsigned. It is technically a probateable offense, as we want to discourage posters from having a two inch tall signature of irrelevant information like you see on Dakka-dakka.

Again, this is mentioned to let you know the local rules and keep our account unprobated and unbanned, not just give you grief for sake of giving you grief.

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Thanks chap, I thought I did good at reading it all last night, alas, must have missed that!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Dregs posted:

(edit) never mind. Half the Celts are shirtless.

Warlord's Celt range actually includes a really great selection of completely dressed women fighters in badass poses. I'm eventually going to pick some up to fill out my SAGA Irish, since Dark Ages women apparently did as much fighting as men.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Osprey did not have any of the plastic Frostgrave soldiers at Gencon, so I was thinking about ordering some. Are there any American distributors or sites that carry them?

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

The Malthusian posted:

Osprey did not have any of the plastic Frostgrave soldiers at Gencon, so I was thinking about ordering some. Are there any American distributors or sites that carry them?

Brigade Games are the US stockists - they seem to have stock at $35 a box.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Finally got a chance to do more than skim this and maybe it's the lack of an index or maybe my poor reading comprehension... but where is the equipment list for mundane armor and shields?

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Otisburg posted:

Finally got a chance to do more than skim this and maybe it's the lack of an index or maybe my poor reading comprehension... but where is the equipment list for mundane armor and shields?

Wizards and apprentices can't get it, and soldiers can't take magical versions of things they don't have the mundane version of, so they just rolled the stats for those into the unit profiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hm, yes, turns out I can't make a muscle wizard in heavy armor. How terribly conventional.

Frostgrave, you have failed me.