Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
Why did everyone think Cameron didn't sell out because corporatism? It's pretty obvious that she just didn't want to do anything with Joe involved and just threw out the sellout line for populism with her workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Eskaton posted:

Why did everyone think Cameron didn't sell out because corporatism? It's pretty obvious that she just didn't want to do anything with Joe involved and just threw out the sellout line for populism with her workers.

Because her entire philosophy is "gently caress the system and the suits and ties"

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
loving DVR cut out when Donna went in the bathroom on the plane. What did I miss?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

nate fisher posted:

loving DVR cut out when Donna went in the bathroom on the plane. What did I miss?

Joe is buying a prime piece of real estate in SF, going to start the first big IT security company.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This show is great at having interesting season finales. Too bad this probably won't be renewed. The little bit of Luckenback, Texas Gordon played was appreciated.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 3, 2015

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

pentyne posted:

Because her entire philosophy is "gently caress the system and the suits and ties"

She pretty drat unlikable, but she has a little more depth than that.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

So the big payoff is that it inadvertantly took the gang accidentally working together to take down Westcorp who was only really the badguy for like two episodes? And then maybe a possible season 3 will have more Boz?

Did they ever actually show Joe caressing the chip before? I can't think of any big standout moments from season two, at all.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Capntastic posted:

So the big payoff is that it inadvertantly took the gang accidentally working together to take down Westcorp who was only really the badguy for like two episodes? And then maybe a possible season 3 will have more Boz?

Did they ever actually show Joe caressing the chip before? I can't think of any big standout moments from season two, at all.

Joe was the kind of guy to keep tokens as symbols of what he's done. I'm pretty sure the bat he used to smash his apt was the same one he used to smash the IBM datacenter. He's just not likely to talk about/mention it because its a weird creepy thing in most circumstances.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Brand new 'Random Roles' with Toby Huss. Interesting, but his gut feeling about an S3 renewal isn't good http://www.avclub.com/article/toby-huss-king-hill-reno-911-and-his-time-pete-and-223174

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
this show will not get renewed unless some high level AMC exec goes "Wait, the guy from Guardians of the Galaxy is doing this show? loving greenlight it!"

The ratings are loving terrible by QVC standards. Odds are Netflix will score the rights or maybe amazon/yahoo.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

pentyne posted:

this show will not get renewed unless some high level AMC exec goes "Wait, the guy from Guardians of the Galaxy is doing this show? loving greenlight it!"

The ratings are loving terrible by QVC standards. Odds are Netflix will score the rights or maybe amazon/yahoo.

Netfflix is currently streaming the first season, so that seems likely.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
In this week's episode Mutiny develops The Sierra On-Line ImagiNation Network.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQDCptBzR64

Some scans of that Fortune cover article

I kind of hope it does get renewed for another season, which seems to allude to focusing on the gaming industry resurgence of the late 80's.
Also it's August 1985 (or somewhere around that time) so Windows is juuuust on the horizon and the start of the OS wars.

The main downside is the characters are in a bubble where internal and external factors don't really meet or cause any friction or push the characters beyond a one episode barney.
The show really shone when it setup a problem and they had to solve it, it gave a driving force to events. The personal dramas just didn't have much to grab onto despite the stakes being there they never really got going.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 8, 2015

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ufarn posted:

Just save us all and do a spin-off with Donna, after Gordon dies, and the kids move in with with Dexter's kids' grandparents.
Or, she can be a sobbing mess, whichever works for the writers.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Does anybody else get the sense that Donna's parents are just waiting for Gordon to drop dead? It's kind of gross.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Does anybody else get the sense that Donna's parents are just waiting for Gordon to drop dead? It's kind of gross.
There's something very patronizing about the way the mother interacted with Gordon, as if he were some kind of thick child.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
MacMillan, McAfee, it all makes sense.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Eau de MacGowan posted:

MacMillan, McAfee, it all makes sense.

I can't wait for the future storyline of Joe moving to El Salvador and "allegedly" murdering someone.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

So Joe got 10 million for his anti-virus company to get started but has no facility, engineers, or product other than one single cure to one single small issue? I thought there was only 1 company that copied Mutiny's data and that was effectively wiped out when Joe infected Westgroup's computers.

Even at the worst of the dot com bubble, startups had at least something to work with. Most of them weren't profitable but they at least had a product that they could hopefully monetize in the future.

I feel disappointed with the finale, there were so many things that just felt wrong. Joe of course. Donna blackmailing Gordon to stay together (marriage is doomed). Boz leaving a guaranteed income to go back to Mutiny, which is about to throw their hands in the air and start fresh on the other side of the country, when he left originally because he was close to retirement and wanted to guarantee his family would be ok. At least Tom didn't show up at the last minute on the plane and rush into Cameron's arms, although I assume if there is a 3rd season he'll have caught the next plane or something.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Brand new 'Random Roles' with Toby Huss. Interesting, but his gut feeling about an S3 renewal isn't good http://www.avclub.com/article/toby-huss-king-hill-reno-911-and-his-time-pete-and-223174

I had no idea that Toby Huss was Artie, this seriously blows my mind as Pete & Pete was huge for me growing up :stare:

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
It's weird reading all these articles about how much of a revolution this season has been since, looking back now I think I prefer the first. They both suffer from extended-boring section where the pacing is too slow, it just happens that Season One started with theirs while Season Two finished with it. Any criticisms one has about those initial episodes could easily be levelled at the last few and I for one find a good culmination more important than a good beginning.

As much as I love the middle stretch of episodes 5-15 it's pretty clear that these guys don't know how to arc a season, the treatment of Mutiny in particular was a mess. I hope that they get a chance to really evolve the show into something great, which it could be, but if this is it I'll sort of be a bit relieved at no longer having to watch it.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Agree with the thoughts above.

Can someone explain Bos' decision to go back? The scene with him talking to the men, was the black coffee joke really so bad he decided to leave? I had the volume down real low so maybe I missed something...

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

I guess he wanted to continue being a pirate than sail with the Navy.
That scene pretty much laid out that he was in a job position where he wouldn't really get far up the ladder vs his son who looked set on the path to outrank his dad.
Mutiny going to California looked prime to give him something new instead of more of the same.

However it does come off as a bit of a "surprise, Bos is still around!" scene while Cameron was freaking out about Tom not showing up.

I'm agreeing with the story's arcing - it feels like they're trying a bit too hard to emulate Mad Men's slow burn style and any actual consequence of anyone's actions ended up being crammed into the last episode as a bit of a cheap cliffhanger.

The same thing happened in Season 1's finale.

I kind of hope Season 3 has the old guard turning out to be sort of useful other than a sounding board and stressed out account managers who are rapidly going obsolete.

Joe is sort of the exception as he's canny enough to see an opportunity. Bos trails behind as the wise old mentor. Donna seems woefully underdeveloped as you know she has the chops and Gordon's turned out to be completely useless on account of brain damage.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
There was no reason this should have gotten a second season and I'll be mildly shocked if it gets a third. You have to deliver something to the viewers besides unlikable characters who are constantly self destructing. That said, the story arc going into any potential S3 is the most interesting yet.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Season 3 will do a 1 year time skip, everybody is back in Texas, Cameron is mad, everybody is fighting at the company.

BUT HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?

Ugh

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

The problem with season two, after I have thought about it, is that no one used their "special powers". Cameron never did some amazing programming, Gordon or his wife never did any sneaky hardware gimmicks, Joe never did hyperbusinessman schemes.

The only person to be amazing was Boz, and that was just background levels of Boz-radiation.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Capntastic posted:

The problem with season two, after I have thought about it, is that no one used their "special powers". Cameron never did some amazing programming, Gordon or his wife never did any sneaky hardware gimmicks, Joe never did hyperbusinessman schemes.

The only person to be amazing was Boz, and that was just background levels of Boz-radiation.

The point seemed to be their "special-powers" were useless given their positions in life/career. Cameron can't be writing code 24/7 because she's trying to poorly run a business and have 24/7 fun time. Donna did try to con Joe with the fabricated PC, Gordon did try to start a micro-computing business but the reality is both of them aren't in a position to make something innovative or unique because they have much larger problems in their life. Joe is running away from the person he was in hopes of having a happy life with his new wife and sliding back will ruin him.

Season 2 started out really strong but failed to move past its initial promise and achieve anything new for the main cast. Gordon's plot line was pretty terrible all around, I don't know what the writers thought they were doing with him but it all seemed like wasted potential. Cameron was just as much of a petulant child as before whenever she was challenged on her vision and Mutiny would've fallen apart in 6 weeks without Donna keeping it running, much to Cameron's complete ignorance.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Hed posted:

Agree with the thoughts above.

Can someone explain Bos' decision to go back? The scene with him talking to the men, was the black coffee joke really so bad he decided to leave? I had the volume down real low so maybe I missed something...

He's totally fed up with hanging around bullshitting with executives and all the nepotism and poo poo. Working for Mutiny is like his retirement.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

yeah it was pretty clear in the scene with the good ol boy businessmen that he was regretting his decision to leave. tbh though I'm not sure why they had him leave in the first place if they were just going to have him return an episode later.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

kdrudy posted:

I can't wait for the future storyline of Joe moving to El Salvador and "allegedly" murdering someone.

This would unironically be incredible

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

You know I can potentially see a warped plotline of Joe hiring Cameron to attack systems so he can provide the cure.
Or Gordon in a coke coding frenzy accidentally creates Gorton Utilities where he discovers how to un-erase files and speed up disk access and change the colour of DOS.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I wish this show was better. It has so much promise.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

so loving future posted:

I wish this show was better. It has so much promise.

That and Lee Pace, so I'm basically stuck watching this and hoping the next time he returns to television he isn't wasted.

Man does what he can with what he's given and this season was certainly much better for Joe, but goddamn.

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe
I finally got around to watching the last 2 episodes on the DVR. The concept (80's tech) has so much potential, but the series plays out like a dramatization of post-Hot Tub Time Machine shenanigans with Joe being substituted for Lou. "Broadband, it's going to be huge! Online communities, it's going to be huge! Anti-virus software, it's going to be huge!" The actors are great, the cinematography is great, the writing is so drat disappointing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It was nice to see the return of rear end in a top hat Joe this episode.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/halt-and-catch-fire-season-two-ratings-37011/

RIP you crazy dream. It was a good run while it lasted.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Not so fast, hacky gimmick website!!

http://www.avclub.com/article/amc-ignores-ratings-renews-halt-and-catch-fire-sea-226515

What a huge, unexpected relief. Massive props to AMC for going out on a limb like this, what spectacular, unlikely news.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/hail-mutiny-amc-renews-halt-and-catch-fire-for-season-3 And a way better source with interview!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh nice!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

After Toby's comments (and the ratings themselves) last season I didn't even allow myself to consider this a possibility. Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Well that's surprising news.

• Locked thread