Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I wrote a BG/BG2 guide on just the essential rules to know for people who have never played D&D: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=489416794&

I didn't want to cover things like the calculations for attack rolls or THAC0, thief skill rolls, saves, magical combat, class building, min-maxing, story elements, or anything else that would add needless complexity. I know some of it is kind of general advice that's not completely "true" (like party making and weapon proficiencies), but it's supposed to be written for someone who knows absolutely nothing about D&D to be able to manage their first game on their own.

Maybe someone will find it useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I thought of the worst thing. I tried to do an all 100% arcane spellcaster run through BGEE but gave up because it was hard and boring, but someone should try playing a pure class thief and use nothing but other pure thieves in the party, there are a ton so it should be pretty easy.

Imoen
Alora
Safana
Skie

Hmm only 4 but there are a couple fighter thieves, I suppose that would not break things too bad to allow those.

Montaron
Coran

That would allow a pretty good selection.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Just imagine having Imoen, Alora and Skie in the party at the same time. poo poo would make your ears bleed.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I wrote a BG/BG2 guide on just the essential rules to know for people who have never played D&D: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=489416794&

I didn't want to cover things like the calculations for attack rolls or THAC0, thief skill rolls, saves, magical combat, class building, min-maxing, story elements, or anything else that would add needless complexity. I know some of it is kind of general advice that's not completely "true" (like party making and weapon proficiencies), but it's supposed to be written for someone who knows absolutely nothing about D&D to be able to manage their first game on their own.

Maybe someone will find it useful.
That looks good, good to see some actual examples in there.

But some advice about stat allocation is...wrong, to be honest.
Like:

quote:

Secondary stats should be 14-16, and tertiary stats should be 12-14
Why? 12-14 doesn't even give a bonus in most cases. Edit: Also, what makes a stat tertiary or secondary?
I'd rework that section to basically say "get max Dex, 16 or max Con depending on whether or not you're a warrior class of some sort, max your primary stat". I guess Strength could do with some more detailed advice due to carrying capacity and armor requirements, also because everyone who wants to melee wants high Strength but the stat is easily raised by spells/potions/items.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Wizard Styles posted:

Just imagine having Imoen, Alora and Skie in the party at the same time. poo poo would make your ears bleed.

That looks good, good to see some actual examples in there.

But some advice about stat allocation is...wrong, to be honest.
Like:

Why? 12-14 doesn't even give a bonus in most cases. Edit: Also, what makes a stat tertiary or secondary?
I'd rework that section to basically say "get max Dex, 16 or max Con depending on whether or not you're a warrior class of some sort, max your primary stat". I guess Strength could do with some more detailed advice due to carrying capacity and armor requirements, also because everyone who wants to melee wants high Strength but the stat is easily raised by spells/potions/items.

15 seems to be the key where most get something, but there's a few, like 13 for a reaction adjustment and 0% spell failure. I'll modify it upward a bit, to just note 15 on anything important, and won't worry about the lower bounds.

The thing is that each of the six stats has a falloff at a different level, and I don't want to go in to the exact calculations of every single stat for every possible class (which may or may not even be relevant), it will make it needlessly complicated and min-maxy.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 3, 2015

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

I think the enhanced edition includes most of the basic quality of life stuff you'd want to begin with, but the main QOL mod is BG tweak pack here http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg2tweaks/ the biggest changes in that for game play are probably loving around with spell progression and druid leveling, or removing of racial restrictions on classes, dual classing and multi classing. Definitely check out the readme before running it.

There's also the fixpack http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg2fixpack/ but I don't know if that's necessary for the enhanced edition, since I don't own it.

Wizard Styles posted:

The fixpack is integrated.

I don't know if there's a list of mods that have become part of the Enhanced Edition somewhere. I'd just check for each mod if there's an EE-compatible version and go from there.

Thanks to both of you, seems like the tweakpack had pretty much everything I wanted aside from faster walking speed but EE-Keeper fixed that. For some reason I thought that I'd need to find EE versions of each mod, didn't know you could just apply the old ones :goleft:

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

I hope he realizes the same will undoubtedly be true of his romance, and it will be all his fault.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

PRADA SLUT posted:

The thing is that each of the six stats has a falloff at a different level, and I don't want to go in to the exact calculations of every single stat for every possible class (which may or may not even be relevant), it will make it needlessly complicated and min-maxy.
Yeah, I noticed that this would be problematic to keep both somewhat comprehensive and short even when I wrote my reply earlier.

I think it would be okay for that section to be a bit more in depth than the rest, though. After all, people are going to spend 40+ hours with a character.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I hope he realizes the same will undoubtedly be true of his romance, and it will be all his fault.

What happens between them eventually?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Aerie breaks it off because he's too pessimistic and Haer'dalis is like oh well it was doomed to end anyway, and that's pretty much it.

Before release, he was planned to be a romance for female characters and his little fling with Aerie would have been a love triangle where he ultimately chooses your character.

Suspicious fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 3, 2015

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
They hook up in SoA but Aerie ends it in ToB when she realizes how serious Haer'Dalis is about his philosophy, that this extends to their relationship, and that he's not going to change.

It's easily the best romance in the game.

^^^^ Might want to spoiler that before Head Hit Keyboard reads it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It's worth it to start the Aerie-PC romance with Haer'dalis in the party. Trust.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's worth it to start the Aerie-PC romance with Haer'dalis in the party. Trust.

Alas I am a Half-Orc and thus Aerie has no interest in plowing me.

I think Edwin's short a few memos. :fedora: :allears:

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Just set AerieMatch = 1 with the CLUAConsole

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I'm trying to solo the BG series as a Stalker and it's my first time soloing without being a Thief multiclass of some sort. Is there any way to improve my ability to bash locks open other than buffing strength? Some locks just don't seem to want to open even with cloud giant strength. Also any tips for not dying to traps?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mountaineer posted:

I'm trying to solo the BG series as a Stalker and it's my first time soloing without being a Thief multiclass of some sort. Is there any way to improve my ability to bash locks open other than buffing strength? Some locks just don't seem to want to open even with cloud giant strength. Also any tips for not dying to traps?

Traps: quickload :v:

Re: the locks:

On the left is strength. On the right is the equivalent lockpicking skill when bashing. Strength is the only determinant of bash chance for a given lock.

3 3
4 4
5 5
6 6
7 7
8 8
9 9
10 10
11 11
12 12
13 13
14 14
15 15
16 16
17 18
18 20
18/01-50 25
18/51-75 30
18/76-90 35
18/91-99 40
18/00 45
19 50
20 55
21 60
22 65
23 70
24 75
25 80

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Mountaineer posted:

When you get to level 12, you get Minor Spell Deflection as a level 3 Priest Spell. This will absorb the spells thrown by many traps. Excluded are traps that throw arrows and poison. Keep in mind that it will only protect you from 2 lightning hits, so be careful if those start to bounce.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

18 20
18/01-50 25
18/51-75 30
18/76-90 35
18/91-99 40
18/00 45

Can someone remind me why this exists. Its so absurd and one of the dumbest things about the ruleset in Baldurs Gate / Dnd. No other attribute has this system, just strength. It's never properly explained and just sort of sits there, being strange.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.
I think it bogs down to dick measurement contests, p&p-style.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
As it was related to me, they had stated that it was a hard rule that 19 in any stat represented a superhuman level that was only attainable by magic or by being something that wasn't human, but then they decided that they wanted a higher degree of resolution between characters' strengths for the purposes of contested strength rolls. When you have two guys shoving on a boulder from opposite ends, and they both have 18 strength, which way does it roll? One guy pushing a door open, one guy pushing it shut? Arm wrestling? You can see how that sort of situation could come pretty often in a fantasy PnP game. They wanted to increase the number of possible strength scores a creature could have, so that there would be fewer unsatisfying stalemates, but they already had sold all these books and written all these stat blocks that had stronger-than-any-human ogres with 19 strength, so they decided to introduce a % spread between 18 and 19.

It's harder to imagine what a contested intelligence or wisdom or constitution check or whatever would look like, and apparently such situations didn't come up in games as often, so other stats didn't get the % treatment.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Someone asking Gygax a question posted:

...And the 'old': regarding AD&D ability scores, and my passion for strength training that you're well aware of... :D

18 should logically represent 1 in 216 people in general, being the odds on a straight 3D6 roll. (Adventurers, using one of the 5 generation methods in the DMG and UA, will have better odds than that.) An 18/00 strength would therefore represent the genetic potential, at least, of one person in 21,600 (21,645 to be precise).

However, relatively few folks with the genetic potential are able to put in the training to fully develop that strength -- which is why only the professional fighting classes have exceptional strength in AD&D. Did you ever think of a seat-of-the-pants figure regarding what percentage of people with a natural 18 go on to develop exceptional strength? 10%? 5%? 1%? I'm at a bit of a loss to estimate, but I'm thinking of 5% based on that figure being a common population estimate for service in medieval armed forces. 5% would place that 18/00 at 1 person in 432,900 -- pretty darned heroic.

What do you think?

Gygax posted:

As for Strength in OAD&D, I did indeed use reasoning along the lines you suggest, and exceptional strength was reserved to the fighter class for exactly the reason you note--training.

Because the PCs are assumed to be superior, the maximum strength being had by 1 in 216 is more like 1 in 21,600. Then apply the percentages, but assume that about 90% of those with 18 strength will be Fighters.

Gygax posted:

At first blush I decided that 18 was the maximum for a human, but then to make fighters more viable, and because the concept of degrees of strength in the 18 cap followed logically, I used the percentile measurement. As for strength over 18, any such ability is superhuman and must be magically endowed in my view. The 18/% did give the fighter a real boost.

To the best of my recollection, I have never suggested percentile breakdown for stats other than strength.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

mitochondritom posted:

Can someone remind me why this exists. Its so absurd and one of the dumbest things about the ruleset in Baldurs Gate / Dnd. No other attribute has this system, just strength. It's never properly explained and just sort of sits there, being strange.
Reminder that this breakdown only applies to fighters. Constitution also works differently for fighters than anyone else. It's really dumb but so is the concept of trying to capture all human potential on a 3-18 (16-point) scale in the first place in a misguided attempt at applying a bell curve to making characters that would be fun to play in a pretend game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Fun is a secondary component, the real point of D&D is to steal agency from your rival players in any way possible to make sure you get all the gold and experience and they get killed so often they are either constantly behind in experience and net worth from rerolling one tier below you, or forever in your debt for covering raise fees in a high magic enough setting.

All this feel good teamwork and have fun stuff is a corruption of the true spirit of the game which of course has a winner, being a game.

Most of the silly stuff, even through parts of 3 and 3.5e, can be explained by the developer intent being a PvE ruleset, with an adversarial element among PCs about being the best in the party through luck or just being a dick.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's just one of the many weird idiosyncrasies that made 2.5 the special and wonderful thing it was.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah… but like a lot of weird unnecessary things requiring their own special tables and dice, that was in since version 1. Gygax was all about that poo poo.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

mitochondritom posted:

It was a carryover from 1st edition AD&D. I never saw an explanation of why Gygax added it; perhaps he just felt that +1/+2 was just too little bonus damage for fighters.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
It was to make warriors better. He felt that they weren't much better at melee combat than clerics when it was supposed to be their specialty.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Which is a little odd, when you think about it, as the 'official' way to roll stats in 1E was 3d6 six times, assigned to stats in order, then pick the class that was the best fit. 4d6k3 was an optional rule for 'powergamers', and point buy was unheard-of. So not only did you have to get an 18 on 3d6 (which is a 1 in 216 chance, or a bit under 0.5%), but you had to do it on the first roll.

Using the RAW, fighters would normally have 14-16 strength and no to-hit bonus, and usually no damage bonus. Using the first alternate option, which let you assign your scores to stats as you saw fit, at least allowed you more ability to play the class you wanted, but didn't really help you get that 18 and thus the exceptional strength roll.

If you've read the Dragonlance books, you may recall how much was written about Caramon being a veritable giant of a man, and being one of the strongest men alive. He had a 17 strength, giving him a whopping +1 to hit and +1 to damage.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah 19 strength was like pick up a small car kind of strength, the 25 strength that you get from crom faeyr is like tear down the castle walls with your hands kind of strength. It doesn't translate very well to combat really, like at 25 there'd be no need for a weapon, you'd just be able to tear enemies in half

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

How does this work for other stats? Can you walk through fire with 25 Constitution? Does 25 Wisdom give you precognitive powers? Do you turn into The Rock with 25 Charisma?

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
I really loved PS:T's descriptive text along with the stats changing with the numbers

edit: at 24 or so of charisma, TNO is described as charismatic enough to lead all the planes to war

kujeger fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 5, 2015

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

How does this work for other stats? Can you walk through fire with 25 Constitution? Does 25 Wisdom give you precognitive powers? Do you turn into The Rock with 25 Charisma?
25 Strength makes you the Juggernaut. 99% Bend bars/lift gates and can force basically any door fairly easily, carrying up to 1535 pounds like it's loving nothing at all. You can easily bench press 1750 pounds (i.e. a 1993 Geo Metro). Of course there's the +7 to hit, and +14 to damage in a setting where impaling a dude on a heavy horse lance (or swinging a claymore) does 3-18.

25 Dexterity makes you Hawkeye. +5 Reaction adjustment (i.e. initiative), +5 to missile attacks, and -6 to armor class.

25 Constitution makes you Wolverine. Regeneration of 1 hp/turn, 100% system shock and resurrection, +4 to poison save.

25 Intelligence makes you a polyglot (20 languages) immune to all illusion spells, capable of learning any (wizard) spell at 100% certainty, and possibly a really potent psion to boot. I don't really know a superhero comparison for this or the remaining attributes.

25 Wisdom makes you a magical bulwark: gives you +4 to magical defense, immunity to cause fear, charm person, command, friends, hypnotism, forget, hold person, ray of enfeeblement, scare, fear, charm monster, confusion, emotion, fumble, suggestion, chaos, feeblemind, hold monster, magic jar, quest, geas, mass suggestion, rod of rulership, antipathy/sympathy, death spell, and mass charm.

25 Charisma gives you a Rock-the-Dwayne-Johnson-like fanbase: 50 henchmen, with perfect loyalty, and +14 Reaction adjustment meaning everyone thinks you're totally awesome all the time.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 5, 2015

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Real time follow-up for fans of the OD&D Deities and Demigods: there were only a half-dozen or so out of the all the gods in that book that had 25 in every stat. As expected, they are the heads of the pantheons: Zeus, Quetzalcoatl, Indra, Amaterasu Omikami, Odin, and of course the stupid Elric pantheon's, which was called Donblas. Many of the pantheons had gods without a 25 in anything, and some pantheons had no gods at all with a 25 in anything.

Long story short, the old-school stat system was not really well planned out and it's amazing it persisted until 3rd edition.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Wow, that would be the ORIGINAL, pulled-from-the-shelves Deities and Demigods. The printing I had (from 1983-ish?) was after they yanked the Moorcock and Fahfrd(?) pantheons.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Taliesyn posted:

Wow, that would be the ORIGINAL, pulled-from-the-shelves Deities and Demigods. The printing I had (from 1983-ish?) was after they yanked the Moorcock and Fahfrd(?) pantheons.
The latter is Fritz Leiber's Nehwon mythos (which rules). I started my tabletop career with putting hands to an original printing of the original Deities and Demigods and must have spent hours poring over everything. I found out much later that it's became fairly rare even back in the 90s but I always took it for granted.

Nowadays, you can literally Google "AD&D deities and demigods pdf" and it's the first result.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

So I've been through Renal Bloodscalp's stuff and killed Mae/var, or should I say, he got dominated by Jaheira's Nymph and told to commit suicide by his own guild. :haw:

Since then I've stopped a waste of time holy war between churches in the streets, (mostly) solved a serial murder case in the bridge district, freed a bunch of slaves from the Copper Coronet, and went to see Keldorn's family and dealt with his family issues. Oh and saved Viconia from lynchers, again. I think at this point I've seen most of what there is in Athkatla, so it's time to go see the big wide world. I've got a quest in to find this Valygar person from when I was trying to figure out how to get the Cowled Wizards to stop harassing me while I defend myself from Harper morons, a quest to investigate deaths in Umar Hills, animal attacks in Trademeet, and something in Windspear Hills. The Windspear quest already promises me 10k gold so that sounds like a nice place to start. Let's go there and kill some Ogres-oh god they're turning into people what's goi-

:stonk:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I never feel that bad about it because you can legit try and talk to them and be like "hey there's obviously something weird going on here, lets talk about it" and he doesn't even pause to cast detect evil. His own dumb fault imo, lovely paladin-ing

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Ajantis was never very smart, asking random strangers if they're friends or foes as his opening line.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

This is all true. He was dumb but for a dumb person this was a dumb way to go. Was caught off guard a bit by it.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
How often in gaming does something happen that truly evokes a wtf kind of reaction, like hey holy poo poo I've been BETRAYED!!! BG2 so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Sorry but the canon death of Ajantis is being killed like a chump after being called a walking garbage can by the Bhaalspawn in BG1.