Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Most if not all of the games I like are a mixture of good theme and rules. Never just settle for one, this isn't the 2000s. Hybrid games are the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

Most if not all of the games I like are a mixture of good theme and rules. Never just settle for one, this isn't the 2000s. Hybrid games Wargames are the future.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

"Ugh, another wargame? We just played a wargame you guys how about something euro?"

- my idiot retard friend when we proposed following up Merchants and Marauders with Kemet

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
At least Splendor doesn't make you shuffle a tiny deck of cards every minute :smug:

I was really supportive of Splendor until I realized it's pretty much a knock off of 7-Wonder's engine-building with poker chips and market rows instead of card-drafting.

EDIT:

Chomp8645 posted:

"Ugh, another wargame? We just played a wargame you guys how about something euro?"

- my idiot retard friend when we proposed following up Merchants and Marauders with Kemet

:negative:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm just kidding he's not an idiot retard he's actually a cool dude. He's just funny because "war game" to him is literally any game that features direct combat between the players.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Poopy Palpy posted:

My win ratio in Androminion was worst against the AI that basically amounted to a Big Money bot.

It may be worth noting that there's at least one bot in Androminion that cheats - it stacks its deck for the most favourable shuffle result, and i think it's the big money one.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

Chomp8645 posted:

next week bring a real wargame

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

4outof5 posted:

next week bring a real wargame

Yet again the conversation returns to Campaign for North Africa.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
One of my friends is a big eurogame fan (Caverna and Terra Mystica are two of his all-time favorites) and he really dislikes wargames or aggression-heavy games. From Origins, he got a game called Triassic Terror, a light-medium territory control game where people pick actions from a rearranging pool (6 actions placed in a random order that determines turn order, unused actions sink to the bottom but get bonuses) to grow their dino herds, move dino herds, spawn new dino herds, and/or move aggressive pieces (T-Rex, Pterodactyl, Raptors) that kill/chase away other players' dinosaurs), There's four environments, each divided into three sections. You get points for having the most in a section, and having presence in all four environments at the every-few-rounds scoring phases.

Whenever he plays it, he somehow manages to be aggressive as hell while also maintaining presence everywhere to rake in piles of points. Comes back from Gencon yesterday with Evolution (and expansion), and, again, plays extremely aggressive (Heavy carnivore strategy).

Since he seems to enjoy prehistoric-themed games, and said games also bring out his inner combatant, I plan on buying Dominant Species next time I have the cash and completing the cycle :kheldragar: (Also saying "No, shut up, we're playing Kemet")

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.
I was at a game store yesterday, and I saw Twilight Struggle on the shelf. I remember hearing it is a well reviewed two player board game, so I bought it. However, it looks like the game might not be time friendly to two new people playing it. My questions are, if two people are playing Twilight Struggle, and neither has played before, should they both read the rules before the game, or should I be able to just explain it well enough to my friend after reading the rules myself. Second, how long would this first game take? I can't find an estimated play time on the box, and even if I found one, the time to play listed on a box usually assumes the players are not new to the game. My last question is, I got the 2014 printing of the game, and it was sixty dollars. I almost didn't buy it since that seemed like a lot for such a small box, I was able to buy Forbidden Stars for that much, and the internet usually has better prices. However, I checked Amazon on my phone at the store, and the game is $100 there. What is with the pricing on this game?

I have similar questions about Tragedy Looper. Should I be able to explain the rules to other players, having never played myself, or should we all read the rules before we play? How long will this first game take, with the same stipulation that no one has played it before.

If anyone has advice on how to teach either of these games, having never played myself, and how long explaining the rules would take, I would appreciate it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

thespaceinvader posted:

It may be worth noting that there's at least one bot in Androminion that cheats - it stacks its deck for the most favourable shuffle result, and i think it's the big money one.

No, it's Patrick who has the luck of the Irish. BM is Earl. Patrick's fairly easily nobbled by attacks, though, particularly ones that force discards or can kill Gold.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Took advantage of the Amazon sale to pick up Dominion: Adventures, and now I have everything. All in one monumentally heavy box.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

jivjov posted:

Took advantage of the Amazon sale to pick up Dominion: Adventures, and now I have everything. All in one monumentally heavy box.

I really need to make dividers for my cards. I just have piles in penny sleeves in one of these, sorted by set.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

MC2552John posted:

I have similar questions about Tragedy Looper. Should I be able to explain the rules to other players, having never played myself, or should we all read the rules before we play? How long will this first game take, with the same stipulation that no one has played it before.

Generally speaking you should always read the rules first, especially for Tragedy Looper: the Mastermind book has a recommended 'script' for the first tragedy to walk you and the players through common tactics and scenarios, and getting the hang of the game is always helpful.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

unpronounceable posted:

I really need to make dividers for my cards. I just have piles in penny sleeves in one of these, sorted by set.

These are the ones I use This is a $50 solution...but its an effective one.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

jivjov posted:

These are the ones I use This is a $50 solution...but its an effective one.

Unfortunately I'm in Canada, so with the shipping and the lovely exchange rate, it's ~$92 canuck bux :( The cards just fit in the box sideways, so I don't think those would work for me anyhow. Thanks though.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Are there any good team board games? I'm specifically looking for 2v2 or a similar XvX with public predetermined teams, rather than a 1vAll game or a hidden teams game like BSG. The only one I can think of is Tash-Kalar.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Are there any good team board games? I'm specifically looking for 2v2 or a similar XvX with public predetermined teams, rather than a 1vAll game or a hidden teams game like BSG. The only one I can think of is Tash-Kalar.

Ladies and Gentlemen is multiple teams of 2?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Codenames
Ladies and Gentlemen
Space Cadets: Dice Duel

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Codenames works too, if you want to continue the Vlaada theme. Theseus does teams but I don't know how well it plays since I've never played it 2v2, because 4p games are not scarce.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

MC2552John posted:

I was at a game store yesterday, and I saw Twilight Struggle on the shelf. I remember hearing it is a well reviewed two player board game, so I bought it. However, it looks like the game might not be time friendly to two new people playing it. My questions are, if two people are playing Twilight Struggle, and neither has played before, should they both read the rules before the game, or should I be able to just explain it well enough to my friend after reading the rules myself. Second, how long would this first game take? I can't find an estimated play time on the box, and even if I found one, the time to play listed on a box usually assumes the players are not new to the game. My last question is, I got the 2014 printing of the game, and it was sixty dollars. I almost didn't buy it since that seemed like a lot for such a small box, I was able to buy Forbidden Stars for that much, and the internet usually has better prices. However, I checked Amazon on my phone at the store, and the game is $100 there. What is with the pricing on this game?

Ok, so first: you should both read the rules, or you should read the rules and watch a short video before trying to teach the game. There's also a ton of useful resources available including a whole ebook on strategy. That site has a ton of useful stuff. Luckily, you are going to read one of the best written technical manuals rule books ever written. It's pretty easy to get through, and the second half is all a simulated game and card listings (with historical blurbs! squee!) that you don't need to know before playing.

Your first game will probably take two hours, though it may go up to three, considering you guys haven't had experience with the cards and may need to reference the rule books. There's a handy breakdown sheet on how all the actions work in the box though, and basically all the meat of the game is written on those.

You paid a fair price. The $100 you see quoted is because the game is currently out of print, is super popular, and people love to scalp OOP board games (sidebar: loving Cuba Libre). The average market price is usually $45-60 online, so you paid MSRP and supported your game store. Don't feel bad about that. Also, regarding the amount of game in the box, don't be fooled. There is a ton of depth to the game (like I said, loving ebook) and it really outclasses a bunch of poo poo in bigger boxes.

Anyway, it's a great game, and probably my current #1. Enjoy that poo poo.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So I finally played Sushi Go and Ave Cesar with a group of four friends.

Sushi Go trip report: loving amazing. Everyone had a lot of fun and they learned how to play the game in two minutes - I ended up losing both games to a Maki heavy strat.

Ave Cesar is an Argentinian game of hand management and asymmetrical player powers that has a little bit of Citadels and a little bit of San Juan, according to Board Game Geek. Every turn you pick one of 8 different characters (Assassin, Spy, Philosopher, Centurion, Architect, Prosecutor, Senator, Farmer) and that determines how you will interact with the deck, your hand, other players and your city cards. It also defines WHEN you will play.
The game ends when you build 8 city cards - these are built by discarding cards from your hand equal to the cost of the city card, and they provide different benefits. There's no way to remove other players' city cards so role denial/selection is pretty crucial. We enjoyed it a lot - we finished one round earlier because two of us had to leave, but they absolutely loved it. It's also kind of nightmarish for people with action paralysis who aren't used to the idea of having to discard their stuff to get other stuff. The art was nice, nothing amazing and the gameplay felt pretty smooth - the only problem is that the rules aren't clear and they had some gaping holes. "Can you reduce the cost of a 1-cost card down to 0 if you have a -1 cost effect?", "What happens when the central city card deck runs out?" and "why the hell are you using 'draw' unclearly?" (Draw in Spanish means both to draw a card and to steal something"

Still, pretty fun - I sent an email to the devs to find out the answers to my questions, but I can see where they were coming from so we just house-ruled that the discard piles gets reshuffled and it worked out okay (it's a 3-7 player game and with 4 players we ran out of cards :lol:). Nice to see well-designed Argentinian games at last, in a market dominated by Risk and Monopoly.

The words "gently caress Monopoly forever" were uttered after the game night.

I also returned Carcassone when I noticed it was a local copy of it, handcrafted but still - I kinda of want to buy the actual game, not a copy of it. I realized this when I noticed the tiles didn't have the "C" on the back side.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Lord Frisk posted:

Your first game will probably take two hours, though it may go up to three, considering you guys haven't had experience with the cards and may need to reference the rule books. There's a handy breakdown sheet on how all the actions work in the box though, and basically all the meat of the game is written on those.

I'll be honest I'd set aside a solid 5 hours or so, and if you get done early then great, play something else. I'm sure I'll take some poo poo for saying that, and maybe it's just because the two people I have played against are pretty prone to AP, but even then it didn't seem like they were taking a long time to execute their turn. Or maybe the gameplay is so compelling that I just didn't notice.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Tichu

I don't have experience playing the team variants of these, but
Ingenious
Innovation
7 Wonders
Puzzle Strike

I guess most of these aren't technically "board games", though

paging stashaugstine with the COIN recommendation

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Azran posted:

The words "gently caress Monopoly forever" were uttered after the game night.

Success!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
General consensus on Spyfall vs. Fake Artist, at all?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Stronghold is kinda cool.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Trynant posted:

I was really supportive of Splendor until I realized it's pretty much a knock off of 7-Wonder's engine-building with poker chips and market rows instead of card-drafting.

Wait what these are not the same thing at all?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Splendor is a fine filler game

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Any partnership card game (Tichu, Bridge, etc). Hilariously, Napoleon's Triumph is pretty great 2v2 or 3v3. There are probably some other wargames like that.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
Archipelago coin upgrade complete! The Bahamas is an archipelago after all. Yes, I know the colors are reversed, but they do have 1 and 5 on them and they are much different in size. Besides, gold plating is much too expensive. I checked.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Sounds like Codenames and BLOOD RAGE were pretty big hits at GenCon. Watching the Joel Eddy recap and he mentioned people were going crazy over those two. He also really likes Codenames. When that poo poo going on pre-order

I still think Chaos in the Old World is the poo poo and hope Blood Rage is a good spiritual successor, I'll be in heavenvalhalla. I'll also probably have better luck getting people to play a game that doesn't feature a map made out of human flesh!

edit: Oh, I didn't know that Danny Mandel from the original VS System design team worked on Legendary Encounters: Alien. He worked on the WoW card game, too. That probably helps explain why it's better than the others. He's working on the new Marvel VS system LCG2PCG and I'm pretty stoked to see how that turns out.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 4, 2015

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

medchem posted:

Also, it sounds like CGE is working on digital versions of Dungeon Lords and possibly Codenames as well: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/44509/app-news-gen-con-short-takes

The digital version of Dungeon Lords is probably the stretch goal from the Anniversary Edition. It is not the full game. It is a series of combat puzzles that you need to optimise.

Also, Codenames looks great, and is extremely PBFable for those that do such things. Hint.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Countblanc posted:

Stronghold is kinda cool.

Stronghold is pretty neat although the two defenders are gonna have some trouble as they have to essentially share actions and can't build things or take the same action at the same time which can lead to alot of tripping over each others feet. I haven't been part of 2 invader team but it seems like it'd be pretty cool.

How are the expansions to that by the way? The Undead/Necromancer one in particular sounds really cool as it turns into an actual survival game and not one of "you pretty much win after 6 turns"

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
My friend got back from Gencon and spent about half of the two hundred I gave him. Sadly things like Codenames and Mysterium were in too short a supply, but he did pick up Ryu, Mottanai, and Code of Nine. Hopefully I'll have a trip report for all of them within a week.

Just from going over two of the rulebooks, both Ryu and CoN scare me, but for different reasons. Ryu has decent artwork, though a bit cheesecake-ish at times, but I'm not sold on the mechanics of the game. Code of Nine is by Bakafire, and it looks like fairly basic concepts baked into a weird anime pie, much like Tragedy Looper. Thankfully the art is similar to TL, so no Tanto Cuore crap. It's more of a worker placement, and each player has two scoring modifier cards that are hidden but apply to everyone. What worries me is that there are a few cards that can simply prevent someone from winning outright. That doesn't sound like a mechanic that I would want hidden till the end of the game.

Sorry if these thoughts seem a bit on the rambling side, I've been trying to piece together these two rulebooks over the past few hours or so. The rulebooks are in English, but I have a feeling it's not the best of translations. As a result, my head is a bit swimmy.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Most (all?) of the "you can't win" cards in CoN are in the Expert game exclusively, and both Normal and Expert have ample ways of looking at the other players' cards. I haven't actually played my copy yet so I can't say how it works in practice, but it seems pretty easy to divine by examining cards and noticing everyone else's play.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Azran posted:

Ave Cesar is an Argentinian game of hand management and asymmetrical player powers that has a little bit of Citadels and a little bit of San Juan, according to Board Game Geek. Every turn you pick one of 8 different characters (Assassin, Spy, Philosopher, Centurion, Architect, Prosecutor, Senator, Farmer) and that determines how you will interact with the deck, your hand, other players and your city cards. It also defines WHEN you will play.
The game ends when you build 8 city cards - these are built by discarding cards from your hand equal to the cost of the city card, and they provide different benefits. There's no way to remove other players' city cards so role denial/selection is pretty crucial.

This sounds like extremely my jam, I'm assuming there's no way to get this in English?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Countblanc posted:

Most (all?) of the "you can't win" cards in CoN are in the Expert game exclusively, and both Normal and Expert have ample ways of looking at the other players' cards. I haven't actually played my copy yet so I can't say how it works in practice, but it seems pretty easy to divine by examining cards and noticing everyone else's play.

I think I saw two in the normal game.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Taught my son how to play Kemet tonight.

He was a total dick and went heavy on attacking. He was able to get just about anywhere in a single turn, mopping up any less-than-full-strength troop I had on the map.

I've never been so proud. He won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Quartermaster General.