Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Basically you out range every other T8 cruiser, and fire and HE don't care about angle.

I really liked the 203s, and I was constantly doing like 70k damage with them. I haven't really played since HE got buffed, but I was pretty poo poo in the Cleveland in closed beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
The thing with trying to score citadels in the Cleveland is the shell trajectory. You want to hit on the waterline at a slight downwards trajectory to punch into the sections below the waterline after penetrating. With guns that have a high trajectory like those of the Cleveland you have to get really close to get that angle while 8-inch guns (especially the later IJN ones) can do that from like 12+km out between their flatter trajector and higher base penetration. It's pretty much how IJN CAs get over the DPM difference when played well - they score citadel hits agianst other cruisers like it ain't no thing. I've had single salvoes on he Myoko wiping out over three quartes of the healthbar of a Pensacola or Atlanta (who were dumb enough to show broadside) through tripple- or quadruple-citadels.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Turning around an island and seeing an Atlanta is about the worst thing while in a DD, goddamn those suck to play against. Plus they are quick enough to dodge torps.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Just got home after a long day of work :[ I got my Atlanta though! What kind of upgrades do people run in the slots?

e: first game 2.4k exp and 190k credits holy poo poo this ship is fun

Razzled fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 4, 2015

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

wdarkk posted:

The best is when Atlantas want to trade HE.
Ya two volleys in and they realize they are doing 3k a volley and you are doing 6k, but its too late to run away haha.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

cheese posted:

Ya two volleys in and they realize they are doing 3k a volley and you are doing 6k, but its too late to run away haha.

That and your HE will destroy his guns and shred his AA, so even if he somehow survives the engagement he's going to be a lot worse for wear.

Win rate was 55%, played the Langley for 10 or so games, back up to 56% :getin:
CVs have just clicked and now I'm getting 3 kills a game with them. What the gently caress. Even got 3 kills in a game where the enemy had a double fighter bogue trolling me.

still doesn't make me want them gone any less

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Between closed beta and now I forgot just how bad the Furutaka is. It is worse than an ARL V39.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Flippycunt posted:

Can someone post a tutorial for divebombers? I'm stuck in the Bogue and I cant get them to hit poo poo.

The trick is to not use the fighter loadout... EVER! It's unfun for every other carrier. It's not even that great at clearing the skies if the other dudes play conservative. I just got out of a match in my bogue vs an aa bogue and a Langley where I still walked away with three kills because I just kept drawing the 3 fighters away and sneaking out my bombers. If you do clear the skies you've only just evened the odds for your team since your DB's are pretty awful, you're basically a waste.

To actually be constructive, I'll do manual drops and just lead where you think they'll turn. If they're really maneuverable and I need them dead I'll let it auto drop, but that's very rare. You really do have to hope for a good roll to do much with them.

I've been playing with my American and Japanese carriers some more and holy poo poo the Japanese carriers are waaay better. Yeah the U.S. Fighters are a pita, but you can bomber swarm so hard that he really can't stop you if you play smart and spread out a bit.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Razzled posted:

Just got home after a long day of work :[ I got my Atlanta though! What kind of upgrades do people run in the slots?

e: first game 2.4k exp and 190k credits holy poo poo this ship is fun

The one that makes your turrets more likely to survive a hit is an absolute must. It is accurate enough anyway so I guess the AA range upgrade is decent as well. Other than that the emergency module with less chance for fire is decent.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Psychosis 01 posted:

Can a Cleveland citadel another Cleveland? I haven't had any luck with that yet.
You can, like others have said, but you need to be relatively close and have either really good aim or luck. An important thing to remember is that, unlike most cruisers, the Cleveland does not have one big citadel. It has two smaller ones that are not directly under the funnels as might be expected.

Forgive my crappy paint skills and the image quality. It is surprisingly hard to find a good diagram of the Cleveland. Most are from model ships. I think this one was from a ship recognition manual. The size and placement of my black boxes is off, but they are in the general area of the parts that count as the citadel.

Edit: This video is a good general guide to citadels. He has a better blueprint of the Cleveland and then shows hitting its citadels in a test battle in-game. Also shows why the St. Louis is so hard to citadel with equal tier ships.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgLsvV-Dfv4

grrarg fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 4, 2015

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

JacksLibido posted:

The trick is to not use the fighter loadout... EVER! It's unfun for every other carrier. It's not even that great at clearing the skies if the other dudes play conservative. I just got out of a match in my bogue vs an aa bogue and a Langley where I still walked away with three kills because I just kept drawing the 3 fighters away and sneaking out my bombers. If you do clear the skies you've only just evened the odds for your team since your DB's are pretty awful, you're basically a waste.

To actually be constructive, I'll do manual drops and just lead where you think they'll turn. If they're really maneuverable and I need them dead I'll let it auto drop, but that's very rare. You really do have to hope for a good roll to do much with them.

I've been playing with my American and Japanese carriers some more and holy poo poo the Japanese carriers are waaay better. Yeah the U.S. Fighters are a pita, but you can bomber swarm so hard that he really can't stop you if you play smart and spread out a bit.

Yeah I think I'm just gonna go full strike loadout as soon as I unlock it because you're right, its just not much fun.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

grrarg posted:

You can, like others have said, but you need to be relatively close and have either really good aim or luck. An important thing to remember is that, unlike most cruisers, the Cleveland does not have one big citadel. It has two smaller ones that are not directly under the funnels as might be expected.

Forgive my crappy paint skills and the image quality. It is surprisingly hard to find a good diagram of the Cleveland. Most are from model ships. I think this one was from a ship recognition manual. The size and placement of my black boxes is off, but they are in the general area of the parts that count as the citadel.

Edit: This video is a good general guide to citadels. He has a better blueprint of the Cleveland and then shows hitting its citadels in a test battle in-game. Also shows why the St. Louis is so hard to citadel with equal tier ships.
You're not off by much :

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:

grrarg posted:

Oh snap, I was in the start of that video! /efame here i come :dance: It was always funny when grinding the New Mexico against cocky Cleve players right up until their ship vaporized to mid- long range cits. /edit, now that i think about it Atagos as well.

Actually sad to say my vacation time is over so back to slow working up the trees with only an hour or two to play! Trying to decide on what I wanted to do next while finishing to the Montana.

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 4, 2015

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Thanks for the DD tips, guys. I got the type 89 torps on the Minekaze with 10 km range and have had some success spamming them into places where the enemy may or may not show up. Nothing better then firing a volley into the unknown and getting a destruction message one minute later :ese:

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Lord Koth posted:

If you can get through the Mutsuki, the rest of the line is decent. That said, the Mutsuki isn't horrible the way a Furutaka or Colorado is, it's just underperforming. One issue is it starts with 6km torpedoes base, which is really bad considering it's an IJN destroyer. Get the IJN cruiser line up to Aoba first to unlock its better torpedoes without actually grinding to them.

Theres really no reason to grind to a level 6 cruiser just to unlock a 1200xp torpedo upgrade. Thats only 4 games even if you are terrible.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Washout posted:

Theres really no reason to grind to a level 6 cruiser just to unlock a 1200xp torpedo upgrade. Thats only 4 games even if you are terrible.

It's 9500xp. Not a good choice if you're not already going down the cruiser tree but might be worth getting the Aoba first if you're going to get it soon anyway. (And you should because the Aoba rocks.)

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Tier 9 Essex has 56,300 HP on Hull B. Tier 8 Fubuki has 3 triple torpedo tubes for a total of 9 torpedoes in a broadside spread. Each torpedo has a damage of 17,233.

Now, young sailors, how many torpedoes does a Fubuki need to land on the Essex to sink it? What percentage of the Fubuki's salvo would need to hit to achieve this devastating strike?

If you guessed 4, you're wrong. 6 loving torps, 66% of my salvo, because higher tier ships gain damage reduction from torpedoes due to magic bullshit. At least 5 torpedo hits will leave it with 1-3k HP left, making it easy cleanup if you are still alive enough to shoot it. CVs have way too much HP. Just fyi, I consider myself a passable DD captain, and I have a 10% hit rate with torpedoes.

Pay no mind to the grumpy nerd complaining about CVs again. I bought a Langley and I'm on a winning streak with it to prove a point to myself. Maybe I'll learn anti-CV countermeasures playing this rear end in a top hat.

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

Krogort posted:

You're not off by much :

What function do those long shafts serve that go down from the Rangefinder things into seemingly random rooms?

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Jesus gently caress..... I truly don't understand what's going through pubby's heads. It's like they're actively trying to lose sometimes.

Me and a New York took A and I killed 4 of their ships in the process. After the New York died, I managed to kill one of their carriers right before fire from a dive bomber killed me. At that point the other team still held B and C and had about 800 cap points. We had a Myogi and a Cleveland within a km of B but instead they turned north and tried to kill the last carrier. The Myogi got torp bombed to death and the Cleveland never found it. In the south, our 2 carriers, a New Mexico, another Cleveland and Furutaka all decided that instead of trying to cap B or C they would try to chase down the enemy's last remaining DD. They unsuccessfully did that for 2 minutes until the enemy capped and we lost. I tried to tell them to just loving take B or C but they were intent on getting that Mutsuki.

:suicide:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

johnsonrod posted:

Jesus gently caress..... I truly don't understand what's going through pubby's heads. It's like they're actively trying to lose sometimes.

NO CAP KILL ALL!

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Michi88 posted:

Actually sad to say my vacation time is over so back to slow working up the trees with only an hour or two to play! Trying to decide on what I wanted to do next while finishing to the Montana.

I'm in a similar situation and I actually find it kinda nice not being able to play the game obsessively for four-five hours a day. I can log in, do my dailies in around forty-five minutes and check out, then go do something else for a bit before having to go to university for the rest of the day. It's like I'm not an online videogame addict!

Never mind that I do game design at uni, but hey :v:

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Vivick posted:

What function do those long shafts serve that go down from the Rangefinder things into seemingly random rooms?

I'm not sure but I think they might store some optical gimmicks ?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Vivick posted:

Those are basically smokestacks for the interior of the ship. They are connected to the kitchen, the mess quarters or other parts of a ship where there could be a lot of smells, need fresh air and stuff. You know, back then there was no "No Smoking" in mess halls on ships.

Not sure if there is one today?

Anyway, the bow one is connected to a fan room which basically just keeps fresh air inside all the parts of the ship.

You can read up a bit more on it here http://www.nstcenter.biz/writeup.aspx?title=Fan%20Room&page=NavyCommunityAppIntShipFanRooms.html

Furthmore, those things on top of the ship are far more than just rangefinders. Those are part of the fire control system - which has been centralized basically since the beginning of WW2 - and serve a lot of different functions from rangefinging, radar acquiring and other stuff. They work together with the analog rangefinger you see on some turrets (Those little extension on the side) to gather all information required for the turret operator to get a good firing solution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_gun_fire-control_system

Also, if you look at for example the Iowa you will notice that not all turrets have rangefingers included. That is partly to save weight since those "grouped" guns are not designed to fire on their own.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 4, 2015

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

Those are basically smokestacks for the interior of the ship. They are connected to the kitchen, the mess quarters or other parts of a ship where there could be a lot of smells, need fresh air and stuff. You know, back then there was no "No Smoking" in mess halls on ships.

Not sure if there is one today?

Anyway, the bow one is connected to a fan room which basically just keeps fresh air inside all the parts of the ship.

You can read up a bit more on it here http://www.nstcenter.biz/writeup.aspx?title=Fan%20Room&page=NavyCommunityAppIntShipFanRooms.html

Furthmore, those things on top of the ship are far more than just rangefinders. Those are part of the fire control system - which has been centralized basically since the beginning of WW2 - and serve a lot of different functions from rangefinging, radar acquiring and other stuff. They work together with the analog rangefinger you see on some turrets (Those little extension on the side) to gather all information required for the turret operator to get a good firing solution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_gun_fire-control_system

Also, if you look at for example the Iowa you will notice that not all turrets have rangefingers included. That is partly to save weight since those "grouped" guns are not designed to fire on their own.

Ah ok, thanks!

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Got the Aoba and dropped the furutaka like a hot rock. Even stock, with no upgrades and even with a lovely half-trained commander it is miles better.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Flippycunt posted:

Can someone post a tutorial for divebombers? I'm stuck in the Bogue and I cant get them to hit poo poo.

The trick with dive bombers is to attack ships at a 30 degree angle. The planes always drop their bombs in a fixed pattern, which looks something like this

•::• Direction of planes ->

The front and back bomb are centered. But note the 4 in the middle. If you line up perfectly, often those 4 will miss completely, dropping on either side of your target. But if you approach at a slight angle, you can get many more to hit. I can now reliably get 4+ bomb hits on Cruiser sized targets or larger. Manual bombing tightens up the distance between the bombs, and panicked bombers drop them further apart from each other.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

El Disco posted:

NO CAP KILL ALL!

I had that exactly yesterday. We were within probably 5 seconds of winning by capping the enemy base when two of them run out of it because "KILL THE ENEMY CV!!!", never mind the enemy had started capping our base too. They would have too and were within pixels of winning when a lucky shot knocked them back down.

Luckily two of our BBs had the sense to get in the cap and stay, all the while the two morons were screaming KILLS > CAP!!!

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Enemy BB crawled into the thunderdome in the north of the ice map, within 3km of my Atago, and didn't change course or speed. He ate torps and died, and raged the gently caress out.

[I missed the bit where he told me to come "make dumbass statements" to his face and see what happens]

His stats. He's just about as bad as the other guy who flipped out at me the other day. Between these ragey motherfuckers and the shipfucking deviants, I think this game might just have a more toxic community than WoT does. I'm impressed.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
"Standard battle" can go gently caress itself with razor wire

Either your team collapses on one flank and a single destroyer back caps you because your teammates are too stupid to turn or the enemy carrier prevents you from capping with eighty thousand dive bombers and then the timer runs out because it's set to like five loving minutes for a match

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Hazdoc posted:

That and your HE will destroy his guns and shred his AA, so even if he somehow survives the engagement he's going to be a lot worse for wear.

Win rate was 55%, played the Langley for 10 or so games, back up to 56% :getin:
CVs have just clicked and now I'm getting 3 kills a game with them. What the gently caress. Even got 3 kills in a game where the enemy had a double fighter bogue trolling me.

still doesn't make me want them gone any less

They really need to increase the amount of AA on lower tier ships. You don't even get AA worth a drat until T6 for Cruisers.

Also you should be able to see Torp drops from bombers the second they release from the plane. Right now it is way too easy to fake a drop and get someone to swing their rudder then use your 0 turn radius bombers to drop from a different angle.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

How the hell do people manage less than a 50% winrate at this game? It's way brain-deader than WoT.

You can literally fire HE only and still get good results, it's that easy. I mean, come on.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
What really blows my mind away is the average damage. I don't know how anyone could be that bad.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

rossmum posted:

What really blows my mind away is the average damage. I don't know how anyone could be that bad.

He has higher damage per round than me. But my play is about 50% destroyers and 50% not trying to kill myself while playing the Furu.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

OSad posted:

How the hell do people manage less than a 50% winrate at this game? It's way brain-deader than WoT.

You can literally fire HE only and still get good results, it's that easy. I mean, come on.

To be fair, there are a lot more ties in this game than in World of Tanks. Last I checked I was sitting at around 4% tie where I was around 1% in WoT, so assuming that's average the average player would be 48/48/4 w/l/t.

Basically what I'm saying is he's still bad but gently caress ties forever.

ranbo das fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 4, 2015

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
Think i just had one of my best games ever in an Atlanta post beta and wanted to share.

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 4, 2015

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

ranbo das posted:

To be fair, there are a lot more ties in this game than in World of Tanks. Last I checked I was sitting at around 4% tie where I was around 1% in WoT, so assuming that's average the average player would be 48/48/4 w/l/t.

Basically what I'm saying is he's still bad but gently caress ties forever.

It is harder to carry a match in Boats, or at least it seems that way to me. I'll have a great game where I'll Rambo my way through a flank and murder their carriers and I'll look at the match and I have three ships left on my side and the only ones the enemy lost were the four I killed.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Servicio en Espanol posted:

It is harder to carry a match in Boats, or at least it seems that way to me. I'll have a great game where I'll Rambo my way through a flank and murder their carriers and I'll look at the match and I have three ships left on my side and the only ones the enemy lost were the four I killed.

Yeah I'm astonished at the people who have a 60% or higher win rate because of how much I get smacked by the pubby random factor.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Xae posted:

He has higher damage per round than me. But my play is about 50% destroyers and 50% not trying to kill myself while playing the Furu.

Same. My winrate overall is at ~45% because I lost a fuckton of games when I was starting out(up from 40% lol). I actually have a positive winrate/KDR in the Furutaka!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I'm at 46%,but I'm just now learning stuff like how to spread torpedoes, hit citadel, and to aim for the top of the ship with HE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Servicio en Espanol posted:

It is harder to carry a match in Boats, or at least it seems that way to me.

It is harder than tanks, because in tonks you can platoon a trio of overpowered, top tier vehicles with almost invulnerable front armour, find yourself a good spot, and destroy all the pubbies one at a time while bouncing everything fired at you.

Botes has no capacity to 'tank' damage outside of a dps and hp race, because there's practically no bouncing, and in the few instances there is botes HE is orders of magnitude more effective thanks tonks HE.