Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

moana posted:

gently caress everything about buying a house, I quit. Sunday open house wasn't open, couples wandering around like lost sheep through the neighborhood. We go there today with our realtor, check it out, and prepare an offer, and then the owner says whoops, we know we said we were looking at offers on Tuesday but we sold it already.

GAHHSAHFKJSG

You can do it, don't give up! Just remember, one day you will look back on poo poo like this and laugh.

Because you're underwater on your mortgage, your roof is collapsing, your pool is caving in, your pergola is on fire, the town government is embezzling money, your neighbor is human garbage, your

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

uwaeve posted:

Because you're underwater on your mortgage, your roof is collapsing, your pool is caving in, your pergola is on fire, the town government is embezzling money, your neighbor is human garbage, your

Don't stop I'm almost there

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Effexxor posted:

I could get a credit card, but apparently I'd need two other lines of credit to get anything good in the next 3 months, at the earliest. And as for me being on one of his cards, I think it would be the same, except I'd only have to get two more lines of credit and possibly hurt his card. Which we can do, but. drat, I just don't want to have to if I don't need to.

No dice

Someone else posted:

Put your name on your spouses card

No dice

Effexxor posted:

And yeah... ngl, I'm considering the family member option. It does get awkward since my half brother didn't have that option offered, though he didn't need it, and the fact that the family member is technically only related to me and not the half brother. So. That could cause friction.

Who cares? That's basically your only option. Or take your trust fund and but a cheaper house so you're putting more cash down and don't go through FHA. You need three established lines of credit, not to mention a credit score, and that's not even the bare minimum.

When I purchased my house, my first lender pre approved (not pre qualified mind you) me, then gave me a call after I went into contract on a house, to inform me that the investor could not approve my loan because I only had two trade lines. I only ever took out a single credit card, and paid cash for all my (admittedly very cheap) vehicles because I thought I was being financially prudent, but lenders have a different opinion of what financially prudent constitutes. This was through a credit union mind you, which is supposed to exist to loan money to its members. I tried asking about all the above (adding myself to spouses card, opening a new loan, etc), but that was a no-go. So I shacked up with a much better lender who was more straightforward with fewer fees and a better rate, and was approved because the 20% down I brought to the table made up for the third trade line. Money talks, bullshit walks.

If you want a mortgage, you're probably going to have to open a card, get an installment loan, and wait a year. You also need to be working at your current job for two years as well, so that'll give you time to build up your credit. Lenders are more prudent about not making exceptions to much of anything after the mortgage crisis, and tightening up requirements.

TL;DR--You've probably only got the cash option.

Edit: Also, you shouldn't even be looking at houses until you've got how you're going to pay for it squared away. That's the last step in the process.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 4, 2015

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

TL;DR--You've probably only got the cash option.

Ugh. I'd kind of figured. Damnit, I'd thought I'd been responsible. The rough thing is that I understand these financial facts out of most in the family, so trying to explain that the other options just wont work will be difficult. There's the option of trying to get a mortgage through the organization that manages our mutual funds (The initials are U B and S), because they actually will be able to see my financial security and leverage it against my trust fund, but. It's a rough going.

Edit: And to be fair, we've been looking at houses that have been under 10% of our gmi, and our realtor didn't think we'd have a problem. :/

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If some old person dies in a home and the estate sells the home, are they supposed to do anything extra considering there was a dead body in there? Specifically like cleanup before they can sell it? Blood, bodily fluids, etc? Not talking about a bloody murder suicide, just grandpa dying of old age or whatever that means.

edit: oh its called 'unattended death cleanup'. Fun.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 4, 2015

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Depending on your state's rules you may have to include the death in the disclosures

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Progressive JPEG posted:

Depending on your state's rules you may have to include the death in the disclosures

Right but I'm not sure if they -have- to do a certified 'death' cleanup or....nothing. CA by the way.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Progressive JPEG posted:

New York had all sorts of fun required disclosures, for example, if:
  • any previous occupant has/had HIV or AIDS
  • there was a murder, suicide, or death on the property
  • there was a felony crime committed on the property (Wild West brothel, anyone?)
  • widespread belief that the property is haunted
Nowadays, not so much. There's a fight going on for disclosing previous felony crime in the form of a crack den due to lingering health effects that they can have, seeping into the groundwater or whatnot. I can see the benefits from that information... drugs are serious business, yo.

When I was shopping for houses, my realtor took pains to find out if a house had previous deaths in them because of her own personal beliefs that a home should be a happy, peaceful place. I didn't give a rat's rear end if the house was haunted or whatnot, but I was mostly amused by her research. Everyone's gotta have a hobby, I guess.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well my main concern is that if someone died unattended for months because they have no family or friends to find out and their cats/dogs started eating their corpse. In that case I want to know if anyone cared to clean up the mess properly instead of just a superficial scrub down and air freshener.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I assure you that if someone left a corpse out in a house for months, a "superficial scrub down and air freshener" would make absolutely no impact whatsoever on the intolerable, ungodly stench.

Track down and watch the early Mythbusters episode about the dead pig and the car.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I don't do purchase loans, but I am an underwriter and there is an exception to every credit policy. Particularly with portfolio loans. G too a local bank or credit union (or even a big bank) and see if they will underwrite you before you freak out about it. Low dti and good cash reserves with a decent down payment puts you in a better position than a lot of applicants. If the numbers work and you have alternate credit, then they may accept that.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Progressive JPEG posted:

Is there some limit to that? I'm in Canada and we don't get much in the way of information about a house here. Though my own digging I found out a guy likely died in his sleep in my place back in the early 1960. But who really gives a poo poo, beyond it being some interesting trivia?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
While looking into the history of my house, I discovered that it used to belong to the town's mortician.

I'm really hoping that the drains in the basement floor aren't related to that nugget of information :gonk:

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

OSU_Matthew posted:

While looking into the history of my house, I discovered that it used to belong to the town's mortician.

I'm really hoping that the drains in the basement floor aren't related to that nugget of information :gonk:

"Welp, looks like your drainage problem is limbs."

"Hm, the Fix It Fast thread thought something like this could eventually happen. Aren't they called roots when they're underground?"

"Not when they came off of people, no. Pretty sure they're still called limbs."

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Well my main concern is that if someone died unattended for months because they have no family or friends to find out and their cats/dogs started eating their corpse. In that case I want to know if anyone cared to clean up the mess properly instead of just a superficial scrub down and air freshener.

Rotten corpses will like ruin the floors and walls, trust me you will know if there's been an amateur cleanup job. Many states/localities require biohazard cleanup if there's been a messy death of some kind involving body fluids or decomposition.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

You should watch Sunshine Cleaning, it's a movie all about this.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Anyone know anything about buying multi-family homes? We keep find a lot of small 2-flats in our price range, and we'd probably buy them with the intent of immediately occupying one, and terminating the other's lease at the end of its term and converting it back into a SFH. I'm in Chicago.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Typically it is not much of an issue in the Greater Chicago area because they are very common to find like you point out.

You may run into some issues down the line if you tried to sell or refi the home as a SFH if it legally zoned or meets a highest and best unit as a multi unit, but that wouldn't impact the purchase. Generally you just need more in reserves and the pricing might not be quite as good.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Okay, so I just realized something. Can healthcare insurance premiums count as on time payment sources for alternative credit? Because I've paid that straight through my paycheck for 3 years.

Captain Windex
Apr 10, 2005
It'll clean anything.
Pillbug

Effexxor posted:

Okay, so I just realized something. Can healthcare insurance premiums count as on time payment sources for alternative credit? Because I've paid that straight through my paycheck for 3 years.

I believe the FHA handbook prohibits that if it is a payroll deduction, but can double check that when I get home.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Captain Windex posted:

I believe the FHA handbook prohibits that if it is a payroll deduction, but can double check that when I get home.

Ugh. If you could, that would be amazing.

(and gently caress, I just got a credit card, I feel like someone bad with money even if that's totally illogical)

Captain Windex
Apr 10, 2005
It'll clean anything.
Pillbug
Tried to clean it up a bit since the formatting didn't carry over well, but this is what the FHA handbook has to say regarding acceptable trade lines for building a non-traditional credit profile:

FHA Handbook Section II.A.5.ii.B.3, published 06/24/15, effective 09/14/2015 posted:

To be sufficient to establish the Borrower’s credit, the credit history must include three credit references, including at least one of the following:
- rental housing payments (subject to independent verification if the Borrower is a renter);
- telephone service; or
- utility company reference (if not included in the rental housing payment), including: 1) gas; 2) electricity; 3) water; 4) television service; or 5) Internet service.

If the Mortgagee cannot obtain all three credit references from the list above, the Mortgagee may use the following sources of unreported recurring debt:
- insurance premiums not payroll deducted (for example, medical, auto, life, renter’s insurance);
- payment to child care providers made to businesses that provide such services;
- school tuition;
- retail store credit cards (for example, from department, furniture, appliance stores, or specialty stores);
- rent-to-own (for example, furniture, appliances);
- payment of that part of medical bills not covered by insurance;
- a documented 12-month history of savings evidenced by regular deposits resulting in an increased balance to the account that: 1) were made at least quarterly; 2) were not payroll deducted, and; 3) caused no insufficient funds (NSF) checks;
- an automobile lease;
- a personal loan from an individual with repayment terms in writing and supported by cancelled checks to document the payments; or
- a documented 12-month history of payment by the Borrower on an account for which the Borrower is an authorized user.

So it looks like you can't use your health insurance payment because it's a payroll deduction, but maybe one of the other sources will work (renters/auto insurance possibly?). From your earlier post you indicated you were covering rent and cable so you only need 1 covering 12 months from the 2nd part of the list to meet FHA minimum requirements (though specific lenders can of course be stricter so you might need to shop around). The 12 month history of savings sounds feasible given your stated low DTI, though I'm not entirely sure what they're getting at in the 2nd bullet point for that one (I don't underwrite FHA so I'm not up on details of their stuff).

Captain Windex fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 5, 2015

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

gtkor posted:

Typically it is not much of an issue in the Greater Chicago area because they are very common to find like you point out.

You may run into some issues down the line if you tried to sell or refi the home as a SFH if it legally zoned or meets a highest and best unit as a multi unit, but that wouldn't impact the purchase. Generally you just need more in reserves and the pricing might not be quite as good.

I'm guessing if we're planning on staying for at least 20 years, we won't have a problem convincing the city to re-zone the property?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

When's the right time to shop around for lenders? I had a pretty good quote from Navy Federal that I got pre-approval through,(3.5%) but worth checking out other rates I suppose. Looking at VA 30 year fixed if that makes a difference. We found a place we liked and submitted an offer already.

edit: Lender's fees is 1% origination, with a 2.15% VA funding fee rolled into the loan, though I'm hoping to get the 3.25% with 1 point/1% origination also advertised.

HarmB fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 5, 2015

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Harmburger posted:

When's the right time to shop around for lenders? I had a pretty good quote from Navy Federal that I got pre-approval through,(3.5%) but worth checking out other rates I suppose. Looking at VA 30 year fixed if that makes a difference. We found a place we liked and submitted an offer already.

Ideally you should be pre-qualified for a loan before you submit an offer, that piece should only come after you've got the financial part straightened out.

Edit: Also, 3.5% is excellent, depending of course on lenders fees. The rate will probably shoot up a percentage point or two in the next couple of months when the fed increases rates.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 5, 2015

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

minivanmegafun posted:

I'm guessing if we're planning on staying for at least 20 years, we won't have a problem convincing the city to re-zone the property?

http://www.cityofchicago.org/content/dam/city/depts/bldgs/general/Rules_Regs/Certificate_of_Occupancy_Rules_Regs.pdf

If it is actually set up as 2, based on my bad reading you are probably actually safe being zoned as A-1. Quick googling didn't seem to suggest you would have many issues. I guess as a point of interest when you are shopping see if the home is zoned A-1 or A-2.

If it is A-2 you might need to get an inspector out there at some point if you do something major for a certificate of occupancy. Honestly it doesn't really seem super complicated, but obviously this is a super quick read through. You will be able to see how the home is zoned on the first page of an appraisal, should you get that far in your house hunt.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Obviously consult with a real estate attorney and I'm not one, but if you buy something zoned for multiple units, keep it that way if you can, even if you plan on occupying the place as one unit. It's often way harder to get re-zoned for multiple units later, and the property will generally be more valuable with that zoning in place.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Harmburger posted:

edit: Lender's fees is 1% origination, with a 2.15% VA funding fee rolled into the loan, though I'm hoping to get the 3.25% with 1 point/1% origination also advertised.

Whenever. VA loans are going to get better rates than normal loans. The funding fee sucks rear end, but whatever, no PMI, I guess. And you can negotiate the 1% origination down. I don't think I paid one for either of my VA loans.

e: Even if you "lock the rate" with the lender, you still don't have to use them. Don't sign one of their slimeball "we'll drop the rate once" contracts, because that generally actually legally locks you in for like a grand if you want to change lenders. Again, you can negotiate away that fee, but I'd be shopping around now. When do you plan on closing? If it's within 45-60 days, then I'd be shopping TODAY.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

Whenever. VA loans are going to get better rates than normal loans. The funding fee sucks rear end, but whatever, no PMI, I guess. And you can negotiate the 1% origination down. I don't think I paid one for either of my VA loans.

e: Even if you "lock the rate" with the lender, you still don't have to use them. Don't sign one of their slimeball "we'll drop the rate once" contracts, because that generally actually legally locks you in for like a grand if you want to change lenders. Again, you can negotiate away that fee, but I'd be shopping around now. When do you plan on closing? If it's within 45-60 days, then I'd be shopping TODAY.

I guess it's time to start shopping then! Thanks!

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I'm in the middle of closing a short sale and instead of venting a litany of total fuckups by my lending bank, I'll just say that this year my mother passed away, her boyfriend is squatting in her house and I'm trying to evict him, my wife and I had a daughter, and then she decided to poop some blood at one point, and somehow buying a house is more stressful than any of that. I honestly don't know what the gently caress. How do banks even do business?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Do never buy

Termite damage, house is under contract but they were getting in undetected due to a cement walkway on the side of the house that came up level with the slab and flush with the stucco. Been in the house for a year and a half, the infestation is at least 5 years old.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I was watching some guy talk about termites in Chicago. Apparently infestation is more common on new construction than old - the discarded wood from the torn down structure below a new house attracts them, and then they work their way up into the new building.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Bozart posted:

How do banks even do business?

They're the motherfuckers with the money.

Congratulations on your kid, sorry about the blood and death.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Harmburger posted:

3.5% + 2 pts could be great or just average depending on your situation. Check Zillow for comparison purposes. Also, paying 4.15 total points to close on top of all the other closing costs is pretty steep.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

We have never used Navy Federal for a loan, but my employer usually has a kickback deal with other vendors which sweetens the pot for us.

I would at least shop around.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Effexxor posted:

Okay. So. I'm in a weird position.

My husband and I have a joint monthly income of $6500. We have a total debt of $800 (his student loans). I have $40k in cash for a down payment, with $65k in mutual funds from a generous and well invested trust fund. My spouse has an 800~ FICO score. But me? I have no FICO score.

He has only graduated in May, and got his job as an RN in May of 2015. I have worked for over 4 years at the same company with steady increases in pay. We decided that it would be easier, while he was in school, for me to pay our rent and for him to pay the utilities, as they were much less. I have steady and on time payments in the rent and the cable, but in nothing else. And so, we are screwed for a loan, FHA or not, and I am lost.

Our DtI ratio is about 12% at the moment, and we want to get, at the max, a $150k house. And yet, we can't get approved because my lack of a FICO score is the gigantic elephant in the room. There's a family member who could possibly front us the money (yes, I am crazy lucky), but I don't really want to take it because it feels.... wrong. We're still in the process of running through local banks, but I can't see an FHA underwriter looking past our FICO and alternate credit long enough to be able to use our incredible Debt to Income ratio. Is it even the barest hope to be able to get a no credit FHA loan? What do I do? I hate the idea of having to go open 3 lines on credit. I don't buy poo poo unless I need it, and if I need it, I save for it until I can get it. I have ADHD and fear the idea of having a credit card when my impulse strikes me, it's always been safer/better to pay with a debit/credit card. But now that's biting me in the rear end.

Edit: Oh, and we found a baggie of crystal meth in one of the houses we were looking at. Fun times!
Can you just put the house and mortgage in his name?

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Dik Hz posted:

Can you just put the house and mortgage in his name?

Apparently he could only qualify for 60k, which I don't really think is right and will check with some other lenders about that. The other issue is that he graduated in May from nursing school and started working as an RN in May, and before that, was working an almost minimum wage part time job as a security guard while in school. Soooo, there's not a good, long term record of employment at his much better income.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Harmburger posted:

I just changed lenders after having an offer accepted but it would be easiest if you can get preapproval and use the same company for the offer and the closing. Some sellers do not like to change lenders especially if you are tight on the closing time. I would get a quote from merchants home lending or some other companies in your area.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

swenblack posted:

3.5% + 2 pts could be great or just average depending on your situation. Check Zillow for comparison purposes. Also, paying 4.15 total points to close on top of all the other closing costs is pretty steep.

It'd be 3.25 + 2 pts or 3.5 + 1 pt. The 4.15 total points is kind of offset by the 0% down though, which is nice. Zillow doesn't come up with anything even when I select the VA option, but conventional loans at 20% down(which I don't have) were ~4.2% APR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

VA loans should be pretty aggressively beating most conventional stuff you will find on the 30 year right now. The funding fee obviously offsets some of that, but rate wise the VA will be better. You could compare the APR's (which is obviously what someone should do) but if you are looking at 0% down, that kind of takes most of the VA vs Conventional debate out of the question.