Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

ayn rand hand job posted:

also its really stupid because one mitm attack later and the system has failed miserably

much like bitcoin :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
the only benefit to "reinventing" Facebook is if you think the original reason that Facebook was college only was because of anything other than technical reasons

with modern privacy controls you can segregate all of your posts as much as you want.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
http://www.clickhole.com/article/lets-do-internet-were-launching-gofundme-campaign--2877
https://www.gofundme.com/2jc4yga2s

clickhole (the onion) has launched a campaign to buy bob dylan a nice bed

$500/$1360 so far after 8 hours

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

theflyingexecutive posted:

all of those ideas exist already

I want all the products in a list delivered from you as fast as you can gingerbread man.

Ian McLean fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 4, 2015

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

ian get help

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
mido get help

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
Mido will you help me with project?

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
A truly innovative app could pinpoint the geolocation of a table in a restaurant for things to work seamless.

To do it without does not need a device on the table... There are always "specials" menus on tables. Put the QR code sticker on the side of the table or attach it to the salt shaker.

""Restaurant accepts geolocation payment processing"'

What is the club status on this one?

Scan my app phone code for my bill tonight.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
is there a website out that i could use to store statistics about how many great ideas our friend ian has described in this trhead

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

bobbilljim posted:

is there a website out that i could use to store statistics about how many great ideas our friend ian has described in this trhead
yeah https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

bobbilljim posted:

Pretty sure you could make a page on encyclopaedia dramatica. they love trainwrecks

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ian McLean posted:

mixed signals are in the ethos ether plus bonus status

Ok. I wrote down a list of ideas. And since I can only express my inner thoughts with this worthless kickstarter group, here they are:

underground image detection site for any dating site profile ( look up what kind of ratings this image detection person has)

restaurant app pain point - wanting to pay fast enough ( small logo scanner on menu/restaurant_special_list/table_sticker with tip suggestions on app for payment processing)

reinventing facebook - same concept as facebook originally had with college students (only approved colleges are allowed on this network)

niche marketplace app - tell us your market and we will give you your platform

hotel data app - our hotel partners know your needs

craigslist global app - we are the distributes of craigslist things

healthcare brokerage app - how far can healthcare take you?

gassoline price geolocation app - find the best gasoline price in the nearest location

hunger logistics app - marketplace for good food

rateme - an app to put yourself as whatever you are and obtain a rating from the world

nametag
currentc (by walmart no less)
hotelkey, fcscs
campustap, unii
structureddomains
searchtempest, a dozen others. if you mean where can you find stuff resold from craigslist: loving ebay
ihc
loving lol if you dont think this wasnt the very first app developed for ios 2.0, im going to list nine because gently caress you: gas buddy, fuel finder, smart fuel, car pal plus, gas mileage calc, gas cubby, exxon fuel finder, cheap gas, yp gas prices
even worse, you're not even trying
hotornot debuted in the 20th century sorry buddy

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 4, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Ian McLean posted:

A truly innovative app could pinpoint the geolocation of a table in a restaurant for things to work seamless.

To do it without does not need a device on the table... There are always "specials" menus on tables. Put the QR code sticker on the side of the table or attach it to the salt shaker.

no one uses qr codes

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

walmart et al are sure gonna try and they're willing to boycott Apple pay for it

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the best part about currentc is how much information they need about everything:
- bank account
- drivers license
- social security number
- email
- precise location data
- health data, including protected information
- Transactional data for marketing purposes
- OS info

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it's like everything that's good about chip except bad

like they invented a tech that shares as little information as possible with the terminal, and then currentc wants you to fork it over for nothing. retailers have proven they can't be trusted with financial information, so you should definitely give them even more information this time around

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Wild EEPROM posted:

- health data, including protected information

this is a joke right

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
nope

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ian McLean posted:

id point out the issues with accuracy to the degree that you're talking about or how plenty of places already use the secret menu thing with qr codes or url

but you're not going to listen

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
the whole table-is-a-live-interactive-menu thing has been around since the days of

1) sushi boat places
2) the original microsoft surface table

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

kickstarter bad

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Beast of Bourbon posted:

the whole table-is-a-live-interactive-menu thing has been around since the days of

1) sushi boat places
2) the original microsoft surface table

3) tron

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
just what i want -- a computer menu that totally didn't jack up the price of everything on super busy nights

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

only one that did it right tbh

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

just what i want -- a computer menu that totally didn't jack up the price of everything on super busy nights

better bring an android phone running a 4 year old OS so the food is cheaper

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

walmart et al are sure gonna try and they're willing to boycott Apple pay for it

Yeah, Walmart's CFO really, really hates Visa to an unhealthy degree. He's gone so far as to say that he doesn't care if Walmart goes out of business, so long as it hurts Visa.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

he hates visa because they do the exact poo poo to walmart that walmart does to their suppliers

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Mulva posted:

Yeah, Walmart's CFO really, really hates Visa to an unhealthy degree. He's gone so far as to say that he doesn't care if Walmart goes out of business, so long as it hurts Visa.
I think he was talking about currentc/mcx failing, not walmart

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

he hates visa because they do the exact poo poo to walmart that walmart does to their suppliers

:newlol:

stop making me cheer for credit card companies

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Captain Cool posted:

I think he was talking about currentc/mcx failing, not walmart

You are right, I misread the quote. Still kind of crazy

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Suspicious Dish posted:

its used in a lot of lovely nintendo games from the one company that provides all the lovely nintendo game fonts

it's the super paper mario font so it earns its poo poo game pedigree

:sbahj:

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 4, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

bucketmouse posted:

nah that's the closely related cousin PopJoy

https://webfont.fontplus.jp/service/fontdetail/Hi09iJl3A2s%3D

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

bucketmouse posted:

THAT GAME IS FINE

but it's a whole lot worse than thousand year door and getting rid of the RPG battles entirely was silly

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

since they're partnered with pharmacies im guessing the personal medical info is stuff like prescriptions, which i believe is covered by hipaa, etc. so either currentc is very limited in what it can do with that data, or they're gunna get sued into oblivion

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

since they're partnered with pharmacies im guessing the personal medical info is stuff like prescriptions, which i believe is covered by hipaa, etc. so either currentc is very limited in what it can do with that data, or they're gunna get sued into oblivion

it's Walmart, I'm sure their lawyers are shaking in their boots.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i thought this was a payment app, why does it need to know any details beyond the fact that you paid $X to company Y?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Soricidus posted:

i thought this was a payment app, why does it need to know any details beyond the fact that you paid $X to company Y?

considering it's closely partnered with a bunch of convenience/discount stores, im guessing its also trying to be a "loyalty card" ie tracks your purchases and offers coupons and "discounts" on items that whose prices were jacked up in order to make the card prices seem cheap. why this should include protected medical data, which they are legally barred from using for advertising purposes, is anybody's guess

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
some places like CVS and Walgreens have a buy 5 prescriptions get 1 free kind of deal set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

they shouldn't be pulling that info from your phone though, it should be coming from the pharmacy's secure servers

• Locked thread