Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Now JV has to dissolve the team...

(not seeing great odds of that happening)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Well its not like there were even worth funding anymore.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
This is also Danielson's second offense so his career is over. Couldn't happen to a bigger cocksucker.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I see he's already going down the 'tainted supplements' defence.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

https://twitter.com/kalan_beisel/status/502560055737466880

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I'm stuck in bed with a flu and even the Tour of Poland is boring the poo poo out of me.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

What a fantastic Tour of Utah finish.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Phinney got 3rd, not bad

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

don't worry Team Budget Forklifts good stage good stage, we got em right where we want em

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I don't know how interested you all are in track cycling, but I have to share this with someone who might enjoy it. I grew up hearing about how Danny Clark won my home-town's annual marquee event from scratch after being half a lap behind at the bell. I always presumed it was exaggerated and have looked for the footage for years and it has recently been put on youtube. Also in the race is Bradley Wiggins' father, Gary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnPp31peaYU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

gabensraum posted:

I don't know how interested you all are in track cycling, but I have to share this with someone who might enjoy it. I grew up hearing about how Danny Clark won my home-town's annual marquee event from scratch after being half a lap behind at the bell. I always presumed it was exaggerated and have looked for the footage for years and it has recently been put on youtube. Also in the race is Bradley Wiggins' father, Gary.

Wow he was flying

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really, really, like the Omnium.

Especially the events that are like children's games, like that one where "last person over the line is eliminated"

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

gabensraum posted:

jesus winged christ that's some secretariat poo poo

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

gabensraum posted:

I think I probably got interested in track cycling first because of the Olympics, I mean things like the sprint or the team pursuit are pretty fun to watch.

They also had a sports carnival like Burnie's in my town, so you had cycling on the outside of the cricket oval, running in the middle, with straight sprint track as well as the long distance on the perimeter, AND they also had woodchopping. They later removed the cycle track and put in a proper velodrome next to the oval but it just wasn't the same after that.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
That's awesome.

I watch a bit of track cycling, usually only the Olympics. I like the more chaotic events the best, Madison and Keirin in particular but also the points race and the scratch race.

The Danny Clark comeback reminded me of this from the Keirin at track Worlds a few years, not quite the same distance recovered but an astonishing last-minute overtake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_keqBnfKY7I

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Jamsque posted:

That's awesome.

I watch a bit of track cycling, usually only the Olympics. I like the more chaotic events the best, Madison and Keirin in particular but also the points race and the scratch race.

The Danny Clark comeback reminded me of this from the Keirin at track Worlds a few years, not quite the same distance recovered but an astonishing last-minute overtake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_keqBnfKY7I

Under the new rules there's a good chance that might have been a foul. Depending on how the ref was feeling that day. They made a rule change in the last couple years to cut down on barging and crashes.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Yeah kierin has been super sanitised of late

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Yeah kierin has been super sanitised of late

Which I completely agree with. Most of the time the one that causes the massive crash isn't the one that ends up not being able to compete because of it.

I'm not as much of a fan of the sprint rule changes.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

The Deadly Hume posted:

I think I probably got interested in track cycling first because of the Olympics, I mean things like the sprint or the team pursuit are pretty fun to watch.

They also had a sports carnival like Burnie's in my town, so you had cycling on the outside of the cricket oval, running in the middle, with straight sprint track as well as the long distance on the perimeter, AND they also had woodchopping. They later removed the cycle track and put in a proper velodrome next to the oval but it just wasn't the same after that.

The ground and track is still the same, I saw a lot of football there. This was the New Years carnival, which is still a major part of the state's cycling and athletics season and has chopping etc. as well. When I was a teenager I saw David Foster start a minute after the field and split a log in ten seconds.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Gibbo posted:

Which I completely agree with. Most of the time the one that causes the massive crash isn't the one that ends up not being able to compete because of it.

I'm not as much of a fan of the sprint rule changes.

I dunno nowadays it's a 5 lap procession followed by a straight sprint. There doesn't seem to be nearly as much tactical stuff going on.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i still know very little about track racing but this video is one of my favorite things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkkTSVVrPYk

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Watching two people creep around the ring and then go balls out is both confusing and counterintuitive. Not a good combination if you want the general public to appreciate your sport.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Xir posted:

Watching two people creep around the ring and then go balls out is both confusing and counterintuitive. Not a good combination if you want the general public to appreciate your sport.
Eh, I like it, it's like a poker game on wheels.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I think the announcer does a great job of explaining why they don't go balls out from the start, and the importance of positioning. It's definitely interesting to watch, I wonder if that still happens in velodrome races in some places.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

It's one of the most popular track events.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah, I meant the cat-and-mouse game part of it - I asked ages ago in this thread after someone posted a similar video, and was told that it's not as common these days to have that sort of action. I live near Derby in the UK, they just opened a new velodrome, I might go check out the racing sometime.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Oh I misunderstood. Long track stands not so much but it's still a valid tactic, the whole thing is a mix of mind games and power to get across the line first. Get to the velodrome and do a taster session, it's a lot of fun and beats riding outside in the winter.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Xir posted:

Not a good combination if you want the general public to appreciate your sport.
Lookit how wrong you are

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Pocket posted:

Oh I misunderstood. Long track stands not so much but it's still a valid tactic, the whole thing is a mix of mind games and power to get across the line first. Get to the velodrome and do a taster session, it's a lot of fun and beats riding outside in the winter.

Except if you live in North America where velodromes are few and far between, and covered velodromes even more so. There are two covered velo in Canada (three actually but I'm not sure if the new one from the pan am games is open to public yet and it's close enough to the old one that they may as well count as one), and not too many in the states.

Track season here is July august pretty much.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

evil_bunnY posted:

Lookit how wrong you are

This thread does not count as the general public.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Match sprinting is awesome. The cat and mouse stuff is the best bit and its amazing live where a huge amount of tension builds up in the crowd.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Xir posted:

This thread does not count as the general public.

It's true, few people follow cycling even fewer will follow track. I'm sure people (especially the Brits at the 08 & 12 Games) enjoy watching the antics on the velodrome every 4 years at the Olympics but as far most will go.

Gibbo posted:

Track season here is July august pretty much.

You guys forgot to build roofs?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

During the Olympics or anything else that gets popular coverage its always the 2 man sprints that have to be explained over and over.

Most people can get behind first person wins, or quickest time for the pursuits, but explaining why they are wobbling about that slow always seems to be a struggle

To be fair they usually just don't even bother for crazy stuff like the madison

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Pocket posted:

It's true, few people follow cycling even fewer will follow track. I'm sure people (especially the Brits at the 08 & 12 Games) enjoy watching the antics on the velodrome every 4 years at the Olympics but as far most will go.

You guys forgot to build roofs?

The fact that any cities have a velodrome at all in North America can be entirely tied to either a) That city hosting the PanAM (for the one in Toronto) or the commonwealth games (for the one here. Which is outdoor.) or b) a rich donor who probably originally come from europe and liked bikes. I am not sure why the Burnaby (Vancouver) Velodrome exists, but it is also built incorrectly (excessively steep and the track is 1m too narrow, making keirin loving psychotic)

Even some of the ones in the US built for events, like the 87 Pan AM games, are outdoor. Having a city find the money or a rich enough sponsor for a covered facility in NA is virtually impossible. I'm shocked the new facility in toronto actually happened.c

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 5, 2015

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Did that new indoor velodrome in Pennsylvania ever come to pass?

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Meanwhile in the world of real cycling. Tom Danielson waved to me last week in lefthand canyon. Also, Fabs will ride the vuelta. :zoro:

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Withnail posted:

Also, Fabs will ride the vuelta. :zoro:

I really hope he gets to finish a race this year without getting crashed out.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Gibbo posted:

I really hope he gets to finish a race this year without getting crashed out.

I think lately he never finishes the vuelta he just rides it as worlds prep

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

African AIDS cum posted:

I think lately he never finishes the vuelta he just rides it as worlds prep

The old Cipollini approach

"Welp, I ain't climbing no dam hills, later suckers"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

King Hong Kong posted:

Did that new indoor velodrome in Pennsylvania ever come to pass?

There's this one but it is pretty far for us to drive to currently:
http://thevelodrome.com