Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

VideoTapir posted:

"Lone wolf" means the killer didn't have any help or direction from others. It doesn't mean they aren't part of a movement. Or, IT USED TO.

Nah pretty sure you have no idea what you're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gravel Gravy posted:

I count one, Crossfire.
Which doesn't even count since they brought it back last year.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Which doesn't even count since they brought it back last year.
It still counts, dammit (Wesley!)

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Lol Levin an Hannity today was a trip. "WHY IS IT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ONLY CARE ABOUT LEFTIST ISSUES. PROBABLY BECAUSE THEY OWN THE MEDIA. ALSO MY GUN IS COOLER THAN YOUR GUN." ALso did you guys know that she. Obama says 'necon' that is a secret liberal code word for jew?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The neocon=Jew thing has been around forever. It's a really weird, creepy, 'so there' that only ever means 'oh so your'e saying the neocons have taken over the party JUST LIKE THE JEWS DID WITH EVERYTHING ELSE YOU BIGOT?!'

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

AcidRonin posted:

Lol Levin an Hannity today was a trip. "WHY IS IT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ONLY CARE ABOUT LEFTIST ISSUES. PROBABLY BECAUSE THEY OWN THE MEDIA. ALSO MY GUN IS COOLER THAN YOUR GUN." ALso did you guys know that she. Obama says 'necon' that is a secret liberal code word for jew?

That's the guy that sounds like Master Shake, right? That must have been hilarious.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The neocon=Jew thing has been around forever. It's a really weird, creepy, 'so there' that only ever means 'oh so your'e saying the neocons have taken over the party JUST LIKE THE JEWS DID WITH EVERYTHING ELSE YOU BIGOT?!'

Well also the fact they had a dude named Wolfowitz.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Ahahahhahaha oh my god, did anyone else hear Levin shrieking about Obama calling for reduced carbon emissions today, and said:

"Carbon dioxide happens to start off a process called photosynthesis, Mr. President. It's what gives us oxygen and gives plants food! If we produce less carbon, we'll have fewer plants."

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

So many people are losing their loving minds and it's being normalized by the mainstream news media. Sometimes I just want to go live in a cave because the shameless stupidity is so distressing. The water is really starting to boil, my fellow frogs.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'M REALLY DRUNK RIGHT NOW AND I CAN'T PARSE THIS SENTENCE DOES THAT MEAN RWM IS WORKING OH GOD :tinsley:

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

ITS REVERSE, REVERSE RACISM??? :vomarine:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

beatlegs posted:

So many people are losing their loving minds and it's being normalized by the mainstream news media. Sometimes I just want to go live in a cave because the shameless stupidity is so distressing. The water is really starting to boil, my fellow frogs.

Well said. The sad thing is that there doesn't seem to be an end to it in the foreseeable future, except perhaps a bit of a drop after election season.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Hazo posted:

Ahahahhahaha oh my god, did anyone else hear Levin shrieking about Obama calling for reduced carbon emissions today, and said:

"Carbon dioxide happens to start off a process called photosynthesis, Mr. President. It's what gives us oxygen and gives plants food! If we produce less carbon, we'll have fewer plants."

He's not the first.
It seems like the "I'm not a scientist but this is just common sense" thing is the center of every global warming denial argument now.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hazo posted:

A UKIP MEP said the exact same thing in the EU parliament.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1iN6gqOsak

"This is madness, absolute madness what you are suggesting."

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

It was especially good because not sixty seconds prior he was whining about Obama using "junk science."

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I know a guy who thinks Reagan was a great president, who hates people that take anti science views like against GMOs and Anti Vaxers, yet insits that global warming isn't a problem and it's natural since we're coming out of an ice age or going into one or something. I just can't understand it how he can say that and yet think he knows better than the scientific community

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

beatlegs posted:

If point out that this doesn't work because the frog experiment involved removing part of the frog's brain before starting, but honestly that probably just makes it a better comparison.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
What's this frog experiment?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rexicon1 posted:

What's this frog experiment?

If you throw a frog in boiling water, it jumps out. If you put a frog in warm water and turn it up until it boils, it will sit there and die.

It's the metaphor used by every political ideology that believes itself more well educated than the common pleb for the past century or two.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc

Hazo posted:

It's what plants crave!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

KomradeX posted:

I know a guy who thinks Reagan was a great president, who hates people that take anti science views like against GMOs and Anti Vaxers, yet insits that global warming isn't a problem and it's natural since we're coming out of an ice age or going into one or something. I just can't understand it how he can say that and yet think he knows better than the scientific community

Because he has an ideological belief in the benevolence of the unrestricted free market, but environmental sciences directly refute that and show that indeed externalities exist and companies have an incentive to profit by dumping the costs of their pollution on other people even to such an extent that it threatens our civilization. Thus, the science must be wrong. It's the same for any ideology more concerned with arbitrary principles than finding out what's true.

I used to be pretty much the same way. I was raised in a conservative religious home, and although being gay helped me reject all the stupid poisonous evangelical fundy stuff, I was Libertarian for a while because I still accepted all the stupid poisonous free market bootstrapper stuff. It took me a while to gradually realize that while I was shaking my head in disbelief at young-earth creationists who just reject centuries of scientific inquiry because they don't like it, I was essentially doing the same thing with climate scientists and ignoring experts in the field and decades of research because I didn't like the conclusion.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Mercury_Storm posted:

Well said. The sad thing is that there doesn't seem to be an end to it in the foreseeable future, except perhaps a bit of a drop after election season.

I thought after Bush there would be a period of self-shame and sobriety on the part of Republicans, but lol was I naive.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

computer parts posted:

If you throw a frog in boiling water, it jumps out. If you put a frog in warm water and turn it up until it boils, it will sit there and die.

It's the metaphor used by every political ideology that believes itself more well educated than the common pleb for the past century or two.

It's made better by the fact it doesn't actually happen. A frog jumps out when the water gets hot, just like a human will get out of the shower if you continually turn up the heat.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

KomradeX posted:

I know a guy who thinks Reagan was a great president... I just can't understand it how he can say that and yet think he knows better than the scientific community

Looks to me like you answered your own question.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Hazo posted:

My Dad, who's a loving clinical microbiologist, did a rant like this today too.

People who say this poo poo choose to be stupid, because otherwise they'd be agreeing with the Kenyan Antrichrist.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

big mean giraffe posted:

Nah pretty sure you have no idea what you're talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_wolf_%28terrorism%29

quote:

A lone wolf or lone-wolf terrorist (also called a "stray dog")[1] is someone who commits violent acts in support of some group, movement, or ideology, but who does so alone, outside of any command structure and without material assistance from any group. Although the lone wolf prepares and acts alone, he/she may be influenced or motivated by the ideology and beliefs of an external group.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Because he has an ideological belief in the benevolence of the unrestricted free market, but environmental sciences directly refute that and show that indeed externalities exist and companies have an incentive to profit by dumping the costs of their pollution on other people even to such an extent that it threatens our civilization. Thus, the science must be wrong. It's the same for any ideology more concerned with arbitrary principles than finding out what's true.

I used to be pretty much the same way. I was raised in a conservative religious home, and although being gay helped me reject all the stupid poisonous evangelical fundy stuff, I was Libertarian for a while because I still accepted all the stupid poisonous free market bootstrapper stuff. It took me a while to gradually realize that while I was shaking my head in disbelief at young-earth creationists who just reject centuries of scientific inquiry because they don't like it, I was essentially doing the same thing with climate scientists and ignoring experts in the field and decades of research because I didn't like the conclusion.

Don't forget about the quasi-spiritual libertarian belief that technology will always advance exactly as fast as it needs to do in order to prevent catastrophe so self-evidently superior ways of generating energy, farming, etc. will always manifest themselves right when we need them the most. See also "we didn't stop burning wood for fuel because we ran out of wood, so why would it be the same way with oil".

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Don't forget about the quasi-spiritual libertarian belief that technology will always advance exactly as fast as it needs to do in order to prevent catastrophe so self-evidently superior ways of generating energy, farming, etc. will always manifest themselves right when we need them the most. See also "we didn't stop burning wood for fuel because we ran out of wood, so why would it be the same way with oil".

If you gather enough libertarian rich people together, food, water, and other necessary resources will appear out of thin air! Poor people -- Takers -- are merely parasites, and they keep the rich people -- Makers -- from conjuring the necessities out of the primal firmament of wealth and rationality.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

If you gather enough libertarian rich people together, food, water, and other necessary resources will appear out of thin air! Poor people -- Takers -- are merely parasites, and they keep the rich people -- Makers -- from conjuring the necessities out of the primal firmament of wealth and rationality.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

That's the comic I was thinking of! Thank you, you're one of the good ones.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Screaming Idiot posted:

libertarians don't actually want the poor people to go away, they want them to be a quasi-feudal slave underclass dependent on them and their inalienable property for survival

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

libertarians don't actually want the poor people to go away, they want them to be a quasi-feudal slave underclass dependent on them and their inalienable property for survival

That was the most hilarious part of Atlas Shrugged's Libertopia, aside from the perpetual motion machine the author added in to try and make it work.

"Yep, I run this entire farm and harvest the wheat and thresh it and grind it all by myself, I don't need any employees to work the fields nor family members to keep up the house. Actually there's only two children in the entire place, and our m:f sex ratio is 20:1."

Gee Ayn, why didn't your book make the oil executives and hedge fund managers go Galt and take you away to their idyllic valley like you expected?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

icantfindaname posted:

Impossible! That's not rational at all!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

some of my conservative friends are blowing up on Facebook over this new planned parenthood "SELLING BABY PARTS" thing, why is this news?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Hazo posted:

I recall a US Association of Manufacturers ad last night that said natural resource parks in the US wouldn't pass the new carbon fp laws . I wonder if it was based on this logic.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

some of my conservative friends are blowing up on Facebook over this new planned parenthood "SELLING BABY PARTS" thing, why is this news?

Conservatives are stupid and hateful and think that the only reason a woman might not want/be able to have a baby is because she's a filthy whore cackling at the thought of dismembering her own child or being dragged against her will to a butcher's table and cut open to fund an avaricious Jew doctor's new Lamborghini from the proceeds of selling the organs of the Christian children he slaughters.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

VitalSigns posted:

Conservatives are stupid and hateful and think that the only reason a woman might not want/be able to have a baby is because she's a filthy whore cackling at the thought of dismembering her own child or being dragged against her will to a butcher's table and cut open to fund an avaricious Jew doctor's new Lamborghini from the proceeds of selling the organs of the Christian children he slaughters.

Holy poo poo this is nauseating on so many levels. What the hell does Obama have to do with abortions? Oh right, he's a black president while Things are Happening, therefore he's responsible.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

VitalSigns posted:

What an astute description of the album art of Butchered at Birth by Cannibal Corpse.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hazo posted:

Holy poo poo this is nauseating on so many levels. What the hell does Obama have to do with abortions? Oh right, he's a black president while Things are Happening, therefore he's responsible.

That's not even the worst one McCoy (Glenn or Gary, doesn't matter since they're both horrible people) has done. Come to the Polititoon thread, we have such sights to show you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hazo posted:

Manuel Calavera posted:

That's not even the worst one McCoy (Glenn or Gary, doesn't matter since they're both horrible people) has done. Come to the Polititoon thread, we have such sights to show you.

Let's post one more, just because it's such a perfect storm of everything terrible:

Part of the narrative is basically that anything pro-choice is a literal death cult whose only motivation is a love of death and money.