Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

tijag posted:

Buying multiple cores is something that's a given for competitive players. If you are a wanting to play in competitive way, or if you want to play consistently performing decks then you will want to buy 3x core sets. If you're casual and just want a 'board game experience' with some friends or casual gamers, then you should be happy with this situation as well.

As a competitive player you'll be happy that they have maximized the number of unique cards so that the card pool at the start of the game is as large as possible. The alternatively could have made a HUGE box with 3x all the cards and 6x or 9x certain neutral cards, but of course the cost would be 3x the core set. But that would hurt the casual player, or someone who might be curious and 'just wants to try it' before getting in all the way.

Buying 3x core isn't the worst thing, but I'm skeptical of this argument. Maybe GoT2 will be different, but for LotR, a complete playset is just 64 more cards (or 72 if you want 12x Gandalfs). The core set is 226 cards, so that's about a 25% increase in the number of cards. If you assume mrsp increases by the same amount, that's just $50 for a complete core (ten more bucks). But they certainly wouldn't need to increase the box size or put in many extra counters or rules, so it would probably only increase the cost of the core by a few dollars. Compare that to buying 3x core and then having hundreds of unwanted cards that just sit around...

Like I said, might be different for GoT, but it's certainly not best for the customer, especially when it would be super easy to produce a core completion booster.

E: I'll still buy them, but I don't feel guilty about being slightly bitter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Most of the cards in the core set, minus neutrals, are 1 of. The card per expansion value is awesome.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

omnibobb posted:

Is anyone else stoked for Vs coming back?

Yeah, I'm pretty excited, I played the ever loving poo poo out of the digital version of the old game. However, it sounds like they are changing a lot of things about the new game and so I'm anxious to see how that turns out. I used to really like reading the design and development articles for that game and it felt like despite some of the broken cards* it seemed like they were pretty wise when it came to these things.

*i didn't play any of the DC sets which seemed to have the most issues iirc

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Stickman posted:

Buying 3x core isn't the worst thing, but I'm skeptical of this argument. Maybe GoT2 will be different, but for LotR, a complete playset is just 64 more cards (or 72 if you want 12x Gandalfs). The core set is 226 cards, so that's about a 25% increase in the number of cards. If you assume mrsp increases by the same amount, that's just $50 for a complete core (ten more bucks). But they certainly wouldn't need to increase the box size or put in many extra counters or rules, so it would probably only increase the cost of the core by a few dollars. Compare that to buying 3x core and then having hundreds of unwanted cards that just sit around...

Like I said, might be different for GoT, but it's certainly not best for the customer, especially when it would be super easy to produce a core completion booster.

E: I'll still buy them, but I don't feel guilty about being slightly bitter!

The core completion booster thing would be neat, but I think you might be surprised.

All the house faction cards are singletons. So right there you've got 8 factions x 20 cards where 1 core only gets you 1 card. Most of the plots are all singletons, with just 2 or 3 exceptions, most of the neutrals are singletons, except for economy cards [which you typically need a lot more of anyways unless you only ever build one deck at a time]]

This isn't going to be like Netrunner, where the 3rd core hardly gets you anything. 3 cores here is going to be really great.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tyranids! http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27382-the-great-devourer-spoilers/ What a dull rear end lictor unit.

Looking for Game of Throne spoilers. Stay tuned.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Double posting but eh.

Game of Thrones spoilers here, but I can't see them because I forgot my CGDB login. http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27339-details-on-purchasing-20-at-gen-con/

http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/uploads/monthly_07_2015/post-27673-0-84023200-1438265111.jpg
http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/uploads/monthly_07_2015/post-27673-0-73872800-1438264904.jpg
http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/uploads/monthly_07_2015/post-27673-0-10672500-1438264417.jpg

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 30, 2015

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

tijag posted:

The core completion booster thing would be neat, but I think you might be surprised.

All the house faction cards are singletons. So right there you've got 8 factions x 20 cards where 1 core only gets you 1 card. Most of the plots are all singletons, with just 2 or 3 exceptions, most of the neutrals are singletons, except for economy cards [which you typically need a lot more of anyways unless you only ever build one deck at a time]]

This isn't going to be like Netrunner, where the 3rd core hardly gets you anything. 3 cores here is going to be really great.

That does sound like much better value - looking forward to it!

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Stickman posted:

That does sound like much better value - looking forward to it!

I think its 19 unique faction cards btw. The in faction limited 'reducer' is 2x in the core set.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Tyranids! http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27382-the-great-devourer-spoilers/ What a dull rear end lictor unit.

Looking for Game of Throne spoilers. Stay tuned.

Being able to easily snipe command may be boring but consistent denial of enemy cards and resources in the early game is eerily exactly what lictors do and highly useful. I think most people will ignore lictors at first due to the lack of funny rules but seriously, a 2 command unit you get to redeploy every round is really good for choke

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

omnibobb posted:

Is anyone else stoked for Vs coming back?

I was until I saw that a) it is still made by upper deck and b) the templating looks like pure, hot garbage.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

MisterShine posted:

Being able to easily snipe command may be boring but consistent denial of enemy cards and resources in the early game is eerily exactly what lictors do and highly useful. I think most people will ignore lictors at first due to the lack of funny rules but seriously, a 2 command unit you get to redeploy every round is really good for choke

I'm half debating whether the Zoanthrope is worth it over the Lictor, since while the Lictor would theoretically give you more resources, since he would win over pirates and stuff, the Zoanthrope make them a non-issue in future rounds, unless they want to burn a shield on them. Half the reason why I like Ork Kannon so much is to snipe out pirates and traders and whatnot (the fact it synergizes extremely well with Nazdreg and Brutal is a nice bonus). But looking at the synapse units, Tyranids essentially getting a 3-4 drop unit that roams for free is pretty major. Does anyone know if Tyranids can use neutrals yet?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Ask Me For Warez posted:

I was until I saw that a) it is still made by upper deck and b) the templating looks like pure, hot garbage.

Yes, gently caress Upper Deck with a giant rusty spike. That company deserves no money, and the IP would be better off in the hands of FFG(which makes sense given the Disney connection) or, god help me, Wizkids. I have no faith in UD making a decent product and I have no faith in their company not to be run by fuckwits.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Yes, gently caress Upper Deck with a giant rusty spike. That company deserves no money, and the IP would be better off in the hands of FFG(which makes sense given the Disney connection) or, god help me, Wizkids. I have no faith in UD making a decent product and I have no faith in their company not to be run by fuckwits.

You mean like how at last GenCon they threw together a hasty, no fanfare rerelease of Vs as a LCG, causing FFG to say "yeah we haven't licensed LCG to anyone."

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So, the Call of Cthulhu LCG. What's wrong with it? Why does no one ever talk about it?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So, the Call of Cthulhu LCG. What's wrong with it? Why does no one ever talk about it?

It's old, has a lot of legacy mechanics dating way back to when it was a ccg, no player base to speak of, and the barrier to entry is enormous.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

PJOmega posted:

It's old, has a lot of legacy mechanics dating way back to when it was a ccg, no player base to speak of, and the barrier to entry is enormous.

Yet Warhammer Invasion got cancelled and Cthulhu didn't. :(

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

PJOmega posted:

As someone who never plays with anyone outside of my friends, is it still worth playing, or has it been definitively usurped by the newer LCGs and their fancy newer mechanics and systems?
Edit: I only ask because I love Lord of the Rings, and I love the Lord of the Rings LCG, and the same with Warhammer 40k and Conquest, and I like Lovecraft, so I want to know if it is the new fancy bells and whistles or the love of the franchise which drives my love of these games.

Hiro Protagonist fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 2, 2015

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Hiro Protagonist posted:

As someone who never plays with anyone outside of my friends, is it still worth playing, or has it been definitively usurped by the newer LCGs and their fancy newer mechanics and systems?
Edit: I only ask because I love Lord of the Rings, and I love the Lord of the Rings LCG, and the same with Warhammer 40k and Conquest, and I like Lovecraft, so I want to know if it is the new fancy bells and whistles or the love of the franchise which drives my love of these games.

It'll inevitably get a GoT style reboot, so I'd just hold off until then.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Spoilers if you haven't been keeping up with the word on the street from GenCon

AGoT 2nd Ed LCG is REALLY loving good.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Carteret posted:

Does anyone have an article on the breakdown of factions played during Kingslayer? The more I think of it, the more it's hard to resist that Tyrell splash.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm half debating whether the Zoanthrope is worth it over the Lictor, since while the Lictor would theoretically give you more resources, since he would win over pirates and stuff, the Zoanthrope make them a non-issue in future rounds, unless they want to burn a shield on them. Half the reason why I like Ork Kannon so much is to snipe out pirates and traders and whatnot (the fact it synergizes extremely well with Nazdreg and Brutal is a nice bonus). But looking at the synapse units, Tyranids essentially getting a 3-4 drop unit that roams for free is pretty major. Does anyone know if Tyranids can use neutrals yet?

I'm at GenCon and have the box. Tyranids can play neutral non-unit cards (so Promotion, Fall Back!, etc.) but cannot play neutral units (so no Pirate/Trader). IMO the Lictor's command-snipe like ability is very effective, but all the Synapse units are valid in different ways. All except the Warrior Prime can be sent to win tied commands, and the Venomthrope and Tervigon can snipe losing commands with the right setup. Further, the Warrior Prime and Zoanthrope have the ability to kill enemy capping units, making future commands easier.

The Lictor is currently my favorite, but I suspect that as more sophisticated strategies and deck shapes begin to emerge it may become clear that similar effects can be achieved with one of the other Synapse unitsm and with more upside to boot.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Carteret posted:

Indeed it is. Had a blast playing it and i'll definitely be picking up another box.

Also, I cannot stress this enough: Blood Bowl TM is loving awesome too. I played with my friends who typically aren't really into card games and they couldn't get enough. I guess it plays a little like Conquest but has that hilarious Blood Bowl flavor and faster mechanics. I know it's not a new product or anything but if you've ever been on the fence...

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 2, 2015

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Played Greyjoy/Tyrell at GenCon and had a good time except for the last round (which I think would have put me in top 16 on breakers).

The guy I was playing flubbed his deploy - accidentally dropping the wrong pile of cards which left a single high cost dude in play. This probably would have been game if I didn't let him take it back since I would have marched him to the wall and negated his entire deployment and then Theon would have probably stopped him from ever stabilizing. So, I let him take it back. Then, later in the game, I make what is very obviously a misplay (the sort of I play this - oh wait poo poo I didn't mean that!) and he didn't let me take it back. It was a total scumbag move and cost me the game. I don't care that much about the playmat itself -I likely wouldn't have even used it. But it was a lovely note to end the day on and the guy was the biggest piece of poo poo (he was a weirdo during the match too) that I've ever encountered playing a FFG LCG.

With those gripes aside, the game looks promising. It's hard to tell how it will shake out once you actually have enough cards to construct a deck and you can start dropping dupes for protection. It's a shame I'm going to have to wait a couple months to actually play. The cores sold out while I was playing Conquest nationals so I only have a single core, which is sort of insufficient for 2 players.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Karnegal posted:

Played Greyjoy/Tyrell at GenCon and had a good time except for the last round (which I think would have put me in top 16 on breakers).

That is both unfortunate and weirdly thematic to the game you're playing.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Karnegal posted:

The guy I was playing flubbed his deploy - accidentally dropping the wrong pile of cards which left a single high cost dude in play. This probably would have been game if I didn't let him take it back since I would have marched him to the wall and negated his entire deployment and then Theon would have probably stopped him from ever stabilizing. So, I let him take it back. Then, later in the game, I make what is very obviously a misplay (the sort of I play this - oh wait poo poo I didn't mean that!) and he didn't let me take it back. It was a total scumbag move and cost me the game. I don't care that much about the playmat itself -I likely wouldn't have even used it. But it was a lovely note to end the day on and the guy was the biggest piece of poo poo (he was a weirdo during the match too) that I've ever encountered playing a FFG LCG.

With those gripes aside, the game looks promising. It's hard to tell how it will shake out once you actually have enough cards to construct a deck and you can start dropping dupes for protection. It's a shame I'm going to have to wait a couple months to actually play. The cores sold out while I was playing Conquest nationals so I only have a single core, which is sort of insufficient for 2 players.

I would have called him on it, if he is the type of player you are making out he would have totally crumbed if you confronted him on the turn. You wouldn't have even needed to have been aggressive.

So psyched for the game hitting UK shores though!

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
I'm a little worried about Thrones 2, actually. It seems extremely hard to come back if your opponent gets into a dominant position, with games frequently being decided on the first few turns.

Several of the cards also seem kind of wonky balance-wise (Heads on Spikes, for instance). I'm hoping it turns out the game is deeper than it seems at first, but right now I'm not sure that it stands up to Netrunner or Conquest, at least for 1v1 play.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Is it any worse than conquest for that though?

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Source: Never played Thrones1 and have limited experience with Thrones2, play Conquest and NR at a tryhard level.

Conquest seems a lot more snowbally to me with how command works and resources being accumulative and uncapped.

The soft comeback/catchup mechanics in Thrones2 seems to be plots like Wildfire Assault, hand size caps, gold draining at the end of every turn as well as the nature of challenges. It's actually prohibitively difficult to win all 3 challenges and still be able to defend all 3 challenges so if you're actually in the position to do that I believe you should win anyway.

There are also other soft elements of the game that are good for the losing end like power challenges being voided if you don't have any.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Phrosphor posted:

I would have called him on it, if he is the type of player you are making out he would have totally crumbed if you confronted him on the turn. You wouldn't have even needed to have been aggressive.

So psyched for the game hitting UK shores though!

The guy was really weird and a bit older (mid to late 40's I'd guess), so I'm not sure he would have just folded. I mean, I was like "hey man, I gave you one at the beginning of the game" and that didn't get me anywhere, so I'm not sure how I would have accomplished anything without escalating things.

RE: snowballing - I think Conquest is more snowbally for sure.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
Mercy never got anyone anywhere in Westeros.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Karnegal posted:

Never let anyone take something back in a tournament. I've often wished I could take something back, but I don't even ask. It's not fair to have take backs. You shouldn't have let him take back up front. Unfortunately that was your biggest mistake.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

MisterShine posted:

Is it any worse than conquest for that though?

Yeah, a lot worse IMO. Conquest seems snowbally but isn't particularly at a high level of play. It's possible Thrones will be the same and that more sophisticated strategies/decks/future cards will prevent this, but if anything the plots seem to promote snowballing as it stands.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Fetterkey posted:

Yeah, a lot worse IMO. Conquest seems snowbally but isn't particularly at a high level of play. It's possible Thrones will be the same and that more sophisticated strategies/decks/future cards will prevent this, but if anything the plots seem to promote snowballing as it stands.

There's only a core set of cards out and 1e doesn't really have that problem.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Fetterkey posted:

Are you only speaking from the perspective of the Kingslayer decks? Those could be incredibly snowbally due to the terrible nature of those decks.

I saw several games where someone had a good setup, then played Queen of Thorns Turn 1, got her ability to go off, and then put a 5 cost dude into play and then on turn 2 played Euron. With the way those decks are, if your opponent gets both their 7 costers on the board in that short amount of time its very hard to come back. Even wildfire doesn't help that much because they get to keep their OP cards.

Once we start playing with 3x core set decks I think the game will be less swingy, although to start with I think aggro will be pretty strong.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Aren't there a lot of plot cards that give you some time to breathe? A Game of Thrones and Calm Over Westeros come to mind. Wildfire Assault is sorta a catchup card. But I think the important question is, if you get blown out, whose fault is it? Is it yours for keeping a hand that had poo poo for military so Greyjoy can easily win military challenges and then play Put to the Sword to add insult to injury? I think ultimately, a card like Valar Morghulis, while I understand the possible desire for it, isn't really a good design since it seems to provide a safety net against bad plays or a bad draw. You SHOULD be losing if you're playing lovely or, in a more positive way, being outplayed. I don't think the game should have a reset button like that.

In Conquest, I can generally almost always tell when I made a critical error that caused me to lose control of the game, so I'm not particularly hung up over it. I mean yes, I'd love it if turn 1 I had like 2 void pirates, 2 rogue traders and like a snakebite thug and shoota boyz or something, so a good or bad draw can account for a lot, but that's just the nature of a deck-based card game. Assuming I was smart enough to keep a good hand or didn't mull into a bad one, most of the time it is on me, and I accept that.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Every time people mention void pirates and rogue traders wrt Conquest it bugs the hell out of me that these cards are auto-include (at least one set of 3-of) and demand a 3x core and gently caress you if you're trying to ensure a good/fair selection of cards for 2 players to play against each other because even then 3x core isn't enough :(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Thirsty Dog posted:

Every time people mention void pirates and rogue traders wrt Conquest it bugs the hell out of me that these cards are auto-include (at least one set of 3-of) and demand a 3x core and gently caress you if you're trying to ensure a good/fair selection of cards for 2 players to play against each other because even then 3x core isn't enough :(

The easy solution is to have one person have X Cores and the other just plays Tyranids :v:

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

The easy solution is to have one person have X Cores and the other just plays Tyranids :v:

Unironically already decided to do this!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I just proxy like mad when I play lcgs casually and make decks for other people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

tijag posted:

Are you only speaking from the perspective of the Kingslayer decks? Those could be incredibly snowbally due to the terrible nature of those decks.

I saw several games where someone had a good setup, then played Queen of Thorns Turn 1, got her ability to go off, and then put a 5 cost dude into play and then on turn 2 played Euron. With the way those decks are, if your opponent gets both their 7 costers on the board in that short amount of time its very hard to come back. Even wildfire doesn't help that much because they get to keep their OP cards.

Once we start playing with 3x core set decks I think the game will be less swingy, although to start with I think aggro will be pretty strong.

No, I'm talking normal decks unfortunately. I've been playing Targaryen Fealty on OCTGN, which is pretty killy, but I often find myself in situations where it's turn two or three, I've killed all or almost all enemy units, and if my opponent tries to come back I can blow them out with Marched to the Wall. Wildfire doesn't really do anything because I can still keep my heavy hitters, and Varys has to survive for a turn and then doesn't hit through dupes.

Overall Marched to the Wall seems like it really promotes snowballing (if I'm killing your guys I can sacrifice some random Targaryen Loyalist or whatever in exchange for a considerably more powerful unit), and Wildfire Assault doesn't really do that much to prevent it. I think Valar is kind of a dumb/heavy-handed design but it might be necessary for this game.

Thirsty Dog posted:

Neutrals are two to a core, so three cores means you can have two decks built that both have 3x Void Pirate/Rogue Trader/Promotion.

Fetterkey fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 4, 2015