Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

"...look no furthur that the best..."

Ok.

There's also an hilariously small amount of actual HTML5 markup on their site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Edit: to hell with this, I'm trying to make things too complicated

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 27, 2015

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm looking at migrating a website from their existing hosting, as it seems they bought it in the early 2000s and it's never been reviewed since then so they're paying way above what seems like a fair price ($50/m) and they'll need to pay more to slap on the MySQL database their intended conversion to Wordpress will consume. It's a local business, so three-quarters of their traffic is within New Zealand and their host probably should be as well.

Since I don't expect anybody here to have some really good leads on business hosting in NZ, what are some good guidelines for choosing a host? I've basically just googled local hosting and grabbed a dozen options based on price and features, what are the key things I should keep in mind while whittling these down to a shortlist for proposal?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm totally out of my element when it comes to web design but I'm sadly the most experienced person in my company and now I'm responsible for making sure a website works like it needs to. We're having a vendor do the work, but I don't trust they know what they're doing.

Basically, I'm curious as to what peoples opinions are on the best method to collect customers billing information and personal information within a Wordpress website.

The way it works right now is that customer sign up for our service through a page on our site which then passes all the information to Stripe. Their additional non-billing information is stored in "meta" fields within Stripe. This information is then copied over to our wordpress database somehow where all subscribers are setup as members within Wordpress. When customers log into the member portal, they're really just logging into Wordpress but they can only see a special member page that was created for them.

I feel like this is totally wrong and I know it looks like rear end from an end user perspective, but I have no idea what the proper way to do it is.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I don't see an issue with that. Their confidential data is going to stripe so you're not storing credit card numbers locally.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The big thing that concerns me is that nobody else we can find using Stripe is using it to store non-billing data. It's not mentioned in the API documentation much either. We're also limited to something like 24 Meta data fields in Stripe, so I suspect that's not what they're supposed to be used for. This is data like demographics and such.

It feels like other people must be storing the non-billing data on their own MySQL server with the customers Stripe unique ID to tie it all together. Additionally, using Wordpress' user login as the members only portal looks like poo poo. As seen below. I would think there's a better way that doesn't require a huge development team.

edit: https://www.meh.com uses Stripe for their processing and obviously their poo poo is better looking. I wrote to one of their developers who said they use MongoDB with Stripe to store their data for reporting, but he didn't have an answer about the website part of it.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 28, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It's almost certainly not best practice to store non-billing data in Stripe, but as long as it's not confidential information then I don't think you're going to run into any regulatory or data security issues.

quote:

Their additional non-billing information is stored in "meta" fields within Stripe. This information is then copied over to our wordpress database somehow

If you're storing a copy of all this data locally already, then why not just get them to stop sending Stripe the data if it really bothers you? If it's being stored locally then it's totally redundant to send it on to Stripe as well. All you need to correlate the customer between Stripe and your local database is a unique customer identifier.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

So I have this table (I do email design, leave me alone).

The table is 600px wide and is divided into three equal width cells which contain a nested table and some text. The text is not uniform in length, so everything ends up balanced to the left (see jsFiddle below).

Is there a good way to even out the spacing on these so everything looks truly balanced?

Here's a link to a jsFiddle with my markup: https://jsfiddle.net/zo6k5j15/6/

Rules: No use of floats, no use of margins.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

me your dad posted:

So I have this table (I do email design, leave me alone).

The table is 600px wide and is divided into three equal width cells which contain a nested table and some text. The text is not uniform in length, so everything ends up balanced to the left (see jsFiddle below).

Is there a good way to even out the spacing on these so everything looks truly balanced?

Here's a link to a jsFiddle with my markup: https://jsfiddle.net/zo6k5j15/6/

Rules: No use of floats, no use of margins.

You could give those container <td>s a slightly different width each so that their width is related to their text (ie. twitter would be the narrowest), then align "PD EXPRESS BLOG" to the left, and "TWITTER" to the right. Or in short: eyeball it and gently caress with the widths.

I know there's an elegant, old hack that allowed you to justify inline-block items somehow to achieve this, but I'm pretty sure it used floats and the fact that it's a hack means it probably won't stand up well in email clients.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

kedo posted:

You could give those container <td>s a slightly different width each so that their width is related to their text (ie. twitter would be the narrowest), then align "PD EXPRESS BLOG" to the left, and "TWITTER" to the right. Or in short: eyeball it and gently caress with the widths.

I know there's an elegant, old hack that allowed you to justify inline-block items somehow to achieve this, but I'm pretty sure it used floats and the fact that it's a hack means it probably won't stand up well in email clients.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had previously tried varying the cell widths and changing alignment but it still looked off.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
This is a really long shot, but has anybody run into issues with Mapbox/Leaflet where it renders in a 2x2 checkerboard pattern, overflows the container div, and then acts wildly unpredictable on zoom? I use it elsewhere on this site and haven't seen these issues, so it's pretty clearly a conflict somewhere. All I've been able to discern so far is that it's not caused by CSS (I disabled all site CSS to test). I've been stuck on this issue for a couple days now.

EDIT:

quote:

I've been stuck on this issue for a couple days now.

Jesus christ, it helps if you include the stylesheet. I am an idiot.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 30, 2015

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Hahah yeah, that sounded like a stylesheet problem.

If you're messing with mapbox I highly recommend using mapbox.standalone.js and including your own leaflet.js. It makes debugging / extending leaflet so much easier.

(not a huge fan of mapbox)

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

so I've been reading the past couple pages and noticed a lot of $scope bashing in angular, and I was wondering what some good pieces of literature might be to back that up (or if someone wants to explain)? Not that I'm in love with $scope or anything, but I'm on a team developing a conversion from a legacy app and no one is really that great at Angular so there is A TON of $scope usage (mostly for forms) at the moment. I'm starting to read the style guide from John Papa, and I saw the Motto $scope soup article, but I still must be missing something obvious as to why $scope is so bad. I'm not that learned in proper Angular formatting either, but I'd like to learn how to do things the right way for myself at the very least. More importantly, I'd like to know how to back up my suggestions to our team of why to not use it, along with other code style conventions for Angular.

If you're wondering, one of the controllers we just, "finished" working on has about 15 $scope declarations right at the start.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Tweak posted:

so I've been reading the past couple pages and noticed a lot of $scope bashing in angular, and I was wondering what some good pieces of literature might be to back that up (or if someone wants to explain)? Not that I'm in love with $scope or anything, but I'm on a team developing a conversion from a legacy app and no one is really that great at Angular so there is A TON of $scope usage (mostly for forms) at the moment. I'm starting to read the style guide from John Papa, and I saw the Motto $scope soup article, but I still must be missing something obvious as to why $scope is so bad. I'm not that learned in proper Angular formatting either, but I'd like to learn how to do things the right way for myself at the very least. More importantly, I'd like to know how to back up my suggestions to our team of why to not use it, along with other code style conventions for Angular.

If you're wondering, one of the controllers we just, "finished" working on has about 15 $scope declarations right at the start.

Check the last few pages of the modern front end thread in this very forum. Someone posted a big thing on just that. Maybe it was the JavaScript thread... The three are getting all tangled up both here and in my brain. Or it could have been in the "what the hell is going on in webdev land" thread. That sort of turned into an angular thread as of late.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

thanks & I agree, I might have actually meant to post in that thread when i was phone browsing and just picked one of the 4 similar threads when I made it to my desktop

edit: yea i'm almost certain i did mean for that, whoops

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Tres Burritos posted:

Hahah yeah, that sounded like a stylesheet problem.

If you're messing with mapbox I highly recommend using mapbox.standalone.js and including your own leaflet.js. It makes debugging / extending leaflet so much easier.

(not a huge fan of mapbox)

Interesting, I'd not heard of that. I've been pretty happy with Mapbox, for the most part it just works. I'm plotting 5000+ dots on a map and rarely run into performance issues, so it's good enough for me.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Domain question. I'm using Heroku and Google Domains.

Per Heroku's instructions, I added the google domain to the app's list of domains. Now I need to "Configure [my] app’s DNS provider to point to the Heroku-supplied DNS Target." Is that what Google calls forwarding, or is it something else?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
How does one go about finding a web designer? I did a quick google search but I don't even know where to start.

I run a website site called http://thesavvybackpacker.com and I think it could use a redesign. My site is a little busy right now, so I'm looking to simplify and make my site a little more user friendly. I really like how http://www.ricksteves.com/ looks and functions. Of course, I don't want to do a straight copy but I do like the functionality/organization (especially the side menu).

I'd also like to stick to Wordpress.

Furthermore, any idea of a rough ballpark of how much this could cost (or, what are better questions I should be asking to help determine the potential cost)?

Omits-Bagels fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 2, 2015

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Omits-Bagels posted:

How does one go about finding a web designer? I did a quick google search but I don't even know where to start.

I run a website site called http://thesavvybackpacker.com and I think it could use a redesign. My site is a little busy right now, so I'm looking to simplify and make my site a little more user friendly. I really like how http://www.ricksteves.com/ looks and functions. Of course, I don't want to do a straight copy but I do like the functionality/organization (especially the side menu).

I'd also like to stick to Wordpress.

Furthermore, any idea of a rough ballpark of how much this could cost (or, what are better questions I should be asking to help determine the potential cost)?

You could always ask your webhost for a referral, we do that sort of thing ;)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whatever you might like about the side menu on Rick Steves' site, for the love of God don't do that thing where hovering over text makes it bold (and causes it to reflow and turn a single line of text into two lines of text, asdasguyagyukgqw).

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
What are people's thoughts on the ol' www?

I've been vaguely pushing for http://website.com over http://www.website.com just because the www seems redundant, but are there any other considerations I should be aware of? Maybe some users actually prefer a www?

Google webmaster tools for instance asks you to set a preference between www and non-www and I'm never really sure what impact that decision has.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

fuf posted:

I've been vaguely pushing for http://website.com over http://www.website.com just because the www seems redundant, but are there any other considerations I should be aware of? Maybe some users actually prefer a www?

Google webmaster tools for instance asks you to set a preference between www and non-www and I'm never really sure what impact that decision has.

Accept both, but only use one. So if you don't like using www, redirect www traffic to your preferred url. Iirc that ensures only that url gets indexed. I don't think using or not using www has any major impact these days... the only thing I can think of is that if you hope to someday use a bunch of subdomains, not using www will make your dns setup a little more difficult, but not terribly so.

kedo fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 3, 2015

ufarn
May 30, 2009
www is dumb. We used to say and write them out loud back in the day, but that ship sailed a long time ago. Collapse it into the naked domain.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Just make sure not using www works.

:argh: websites where the site comes up blank without the www

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
The best part is when a site won't load without 'www.' in front of the address. Oh Japan, when will you learn? :suicide:

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Karthe posted:

The best part is when a site won't load without 'www.' in front of the address. Oh Japan, when will you learn? :suicide:

Whoever registered the domain for my school's computer science department website made this mistake, which is pretty much the saddest thing ever.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
So, short version: I suck at this.

Longer version: I'm a designer and suck at this.

I'm running/customizing a Wordpress theme for my own site (http://joewehrman.com), but whenever I try to set the portfolio container at the bottom to be full width, something messes with the media queries and it generates a percentage that adds a bunch of white space to the side. Right now I'm running this:

quote:

[nectar_slider full_width="true" parallax="true" fullscreen="true" location="HOME" slider_transition="slide" slider_button_styling="Standard With Slide Count On Hover" button_sizing="regular" slider_height="" autorotate=""]

[nectar_portfolio masonry_style="true" enable_sortable="true" horizontal_filters="true" enable_pagination="true" starting_category="default" project_style="2" pagination_type="default" category="all" layout="3" projects_per_page=""]

It's when "layout" in the last line is set from 3 to fullwidth that the problem occurs. I can see it in the CSS that it's set to 39.92% for some reason, but I'm unsure how to fix it; it also creates a row of two rather than three. I'd prefer a row of three projects full width of the browser with no padding in between them so there's just a constant rollover when someone is browsing.

Any ideas?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I would investigate but your site scrolljacks and therefore I hope it dies in a fire.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

The Dave posted:

I would investigate but your site scrolljacks and therefore I hope it dies in a fire.

Same.

URL forwarded to Syrian Electronic Army

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

fuf posted:

I personally think www is archaic. But I don't think it really matters too much, as long as you're consistent when you link to your site, and as long as one will redirect to the other. I recently ditched the www from my site, and I'm still finding places every now and then were I linked to it using www . That's one extra unnecessary redirect.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Abner Assington posted:

So, short version: I suck at this.

Longer version: I'm a designer and suck at this.

I'm running/customizing a Wordpress theme for my own site (http://joewehrman.com), but whenever I try to set the portfolio container at the bottom to be full width, something messes with the media queries and it generates a percentage that adds a bunch of white space to the side. Right now I'm running this:

It's when "layout" in the last line is set from 3 to fullwidth that the problem occurs. I can see it in the CSS that it's set to 39.92% for some reason, but I'm unsure how to fix it; it also creates a row of two rather than three. I'd prefer a row of three projects full width of the browser with no padding in between them so there's just a constant rollover when someone is browsing.

Any ideas?

It has a max width set on it. e: That is your .container.main-content. The number of columns is probably being set by the theme and that weird shortcode you're using, because each of the image containers is taking up a set number of columns (4, which means your grid system has a total of 12 columns which is pretty standard). If you don't know how to edit CSS you might be up a creek here.

And agreed w/ everyone re: scrolljacking. I'd say stop it, but I know this is a template and you probably can't.

kedo fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 3, 2015

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

kedo posted:

It has a max width set on it. e: That is your .container.main-content. The number of columns is probably being set by the theme and that weird shortcode you're using, because each of the image containers is taking up a set number of columns (4, which means your grid system has a total of 12 columns which is pretty standard). If you don't know how to edit CSS you might be up a creek here.

And agreed w/ everyone re: scrolljacking. I'd say stop it, but I know this is a template and you probably can't.
Ah, thanks! I'll take a look at it--I'm fairly comfortable editing the CSS, but if not I have developer friends I can pass it along to.

And re: scrolljacking, just be thankful I'm not applying for any UX design jobs :v:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You also should optimize your images a little more. You're page is almost 7mb, your main background image is 1.8mb alone. Photoshop's Save for Web at high quality is 450kb.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Favorite off the shelf ecommerce platforms that are pleasant to style/develop with and that a non-technical user won't hate to administrate? I have a client shopping around at the moment and the only one they know of is Shopify. I've only tinkered with it (seemed fine, the template language is super easy) and haven't used it on a project.

e: I'm super familiar with WordPress, so... WooCommerce? Any opinions on it?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I always thought that www was redundant because the protocol part of the address basically says what kind of resource you want, but having said that even using HTTP doesn't necessarily mean "give website" so I don't really know what to think anymore..... still looks bad though

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

kedo posted:

Favorite off the shelf ecommerce platforms that are pleasant to style/develop with and that a non-technical user won't hate to administrate? I have a client shopping around at the moment and the only one they know of is Shopify. I've only tinkered with it (seemed fine, the template language is super easy) and haven't used it on a project.

e: I'm super familiar with WordPress, so... WooCommerce? Any opinions on it?

WooCommerce is fine, but I don't really have anything to compare it to. It's so popular that it's hard to go wrong because every conceivable problem has been encountered and blogged about by endless people before you.

I'm glad most people share my anti-www sentiment.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

fuf posted:

WooCommerce is fine, but I don't really have anything to compare it to. It's so popular that it's hard to go wrong because every conceivable problem has been encountered and blogged about by endless people before you.

I'm going to start a new thing: the.website.at.somedomain.com It will become all the rage, just you wait and see.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

mywebsite://the.website.at.somedomain.com

fuf posted:

Thanks, I sort of figured that would be the case but I've never used it myself so what do I know!

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

fuf posted:

As kedo said, accept both but make one your canonical address.

One thing to know is that if you want to use a CNAME record (perhaps you're hosting a website on amazon s3, or using a load balancer, or whatever), you should not use a CNAME record for the root domain. In that case, either you use a subdomain like 'www' or a service like cloudflare / amazon route53 which can provide a CNAME-like effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Time to see if a vendor software update will break their forms on our site!

Their forms are in a table styled with inline styles, nested in three other tables, in an iframe.

:smithicide: