Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

In Training posted:

There's a minute of souls III footage in here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkQhP6JVbZA

Looks great. Seems like a quicker pace than souls but not quite bloodborne, still rolling but the roll zips quite fast. Also there was some peeks of cool rear end weapons in there, like a branding iron

drat some of those bosses look quick, this is definitely gonna be better than 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SM64Guy posted:

drat some of those bosses look quick, this is definitely gonna be better than 2

Big fan of the uppercut then being slammed into the ground

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
all of the bosses they showed seemed to have fairly different movement styles and body types, which is also an improvement over 2. i'm getting excited.

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

In Training posted:

There's a minute of souls III footage in here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkQhP6JVbZA

Looks great. Seems like a quicker pace than souls but not quite bloodborne, still rolling but the roll zips quite fast. Also there was some peeks of cool rear end weapons in there, like a branding iron

Yeah, I've been trying to play Dark Souls 1 and I miss the responsiveness of Bloodborne. This DS3 stuff looks awesome, though. Looks like they really have sped things up, like they claimed, and the world design looks like they've bumped things up to Bloodborne levels of awesome. From Software is just incredible.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Exactly ...went from fairly tentative to excited in 60 seconds. Showing off all the right stuff, unique weapons, bosses that aren't large Knights and some cool environments and a creepy procession. Gonna pwn

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Think dark souls III will have chalice dungeons?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Demons souls feels a little faster than Dark Souls, imo. I noticed it then, but I'm sure it would feel slow compared to bloodborne. That trailer looked closer to that.

I'm....in love with bloodborne. I wish upgrade materials were more common but eh, that complaint will forever persist in every from game. The levels are brilliantly interconnected and confusing. Ludwigs greatsword mode kind of feels like cheating though, and it's a bummer that I can't parry if I have it out. I feel like I'm screwing myself by not really learning to do that. (I also wish chalice dungeons were unlocked for all characters but that's understandably hard to do.)

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm going to play mgs5 over the fall, play fallout 4 from november to the new year, and then play dark souls 3 after that. holy mother of win.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Think dark souls III will have chalice dungeons?

i loving hope so. i also hope doing coop for them is way easier

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Idk if Demons is actually faster but it's just much erm. Floatier I guess is the word, especially in soul form because you dont make any noise and you feel like you're gliding over everything. It's noticeable in demon's copious platforming too, there's lots of secrets they pepper around which require you to do jumps that don't even seem like they should work and feel like breaking a physics engine or something, like getting the thief's ring or some of the jumps in 2-2.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

i'm going to play mgs5 over the fall, play fallout 4 from november to the new year, and then play dark souls 3 after that. holy mother of win.

Swap fallout 4 for persona 5 and this is me

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i want to fight it

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

In Training posted:

Idk if Demons is actually faster but it's just much erm. Floatier I guess is the word, especially in soul form because you dont make any noise and you feel like you're gliding over everything. It's noticeable in demon's copious platforming too, there's lots of secrets they pepper around which require you to do jumps that don't even seem like they should work and feel like breaking a physics engine or something, like getting the thief's ring or some of the jumps in 2-2.

I'm a fan of "push forward on a small wall to hop over it, you will use this one time in the entire game to get an extremely important item in the first level." It definitely is bizarre that you don't make noise. Combat still feels faster to me, though I guess I also generally used faster weapons in demons souls.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

the controls in DeS were so lovely walking across a narrow beam was p much one of the hardest things to do in the game. dark souls improved this a shitload

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

the controls in DeS were so lovely walking across a narrow beam was p much one of the hardest things to do in the game. dark souls improved this a shitload

This too. Compounded by DS3's crappy analog sticks

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

drat. im excited now

Dec 26, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Demons souls feels a little faster than Dark Souls, imo. I noticed it then, but I'm sure it would feel slow compared to bloodborne. That trailer looked closer to that.

I'm....in love with bloodborne. I wish upgrade materials were more common but eh, that complaint will forever persist in every from game. The levels are brilliantly interconnected and confusing. Ludwigs greatsword mode kind of feels like cheating though, and it's a bummer that I can't parry if I have it out. I feel like I'm screwing myself by not really learning to do that. (I also wish chalice dungeons were unlocked for all characters but that's understandably hard to do.)

i feel like they've never really known what to do with weapon upgrades. it's a weird thing in every souls game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

01011001 posted:

i feel like they've never really known what to do with weapon upgrades. it's a weird thing in every souls game

I think they nailed it in DSII, especially once they moved the ember in SotFS to be an earlier location

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I don't think weapon upgrades are a great mechanic anyway - they're always in a weird place because it makes the game two-phased. In phase 1 I don't want to burn any, and use unupgraded or maybe +2-3 weapons. I switch it up and play around with different weapons and its a lot of fun. But then it's time to commit to 1, and all of a sudden I'm dependent on using a single weapon because it's what I chose to upgrade. I would have more fun if I could just keep using any weapon at any time without feeling like I had to grind or spend limited resources on it.

At least in bloodborne I'm almost at the point where I've +3'd everything due to how many shards drop.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

That branding iron is the thing that sticks out of bonfires. I'm pretty sure that was the ritual mechanic that was talked about earlier for creating bonfires

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

01011001 posted:

i thought the ds1 system was cool, especially how they hid the boss weapons behind +10 regular ones . but i think they made the upgrades available too early . for example u can get a +5 zweihander 2h without going out of your way just by not spending your souls on extra levels and buying 9 shards at andre and then put gold pine resin on it and kill the gargoyles in 3 hits ... 2 for the first one and 1 for the second

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
like, literally. go and try it. upgrade a weapon to +5 and put resin on it. i played it the other day and killed the gargoyles in 15 seconds with a regular halberd. maybe that wouldnt be a problem if the bosses had bloodborne sized hp bars though..

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

like, literally. go and try it. upgrade a weapon to +5 and put resin on it. i played it the other day and killed the gargoyles in 15 seconds with a regular halberd

Yeah, I did this in my 2h naked Zweihander run. I don't mind if stuff like that is in there bc it's optimal path options that you're either a) unlikely to stumble across as a newbie or b) played a lot of other souls games and good at them regardless.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'm not sure that upgrading weapons or levelling up are good features - I would dig a from game where you choose your weapon based on moveset and went out and did stuff, and progressed by getting better at the game rather than having upgrades or anything.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm not sure that upgrading weapons or levelling up are good features - I would dig a from game where you choose your weapon based on moveset and went out and did stuff, and progressed by getting better at the game rather than having upgrades or anything.

A good game like this is Super Mario Bros. for the NES.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

In Training posted:

A good game like this is Super Mario Bros. for the NES.

I have to say - I'm a fan.

e: though the fire flower is a little OP

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

well, i dont agree, since being allowed to customise the way u play has a lot of pros. and itsj ust fun to do. its probably a chore for people who have some kind of decision anxiety but i dont think removing it is good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

seriously though, I think the cool thing about souls games is that they manage to mix both progressions really seamlessly. The upgrade and leveling serves kind of a dual purpose of giving poorer players a crutch or cushion, and enabling the existence of their bizarre online PVP scene at a variety of locations. If you learn to play the game well you never really have to worry about stats after a few levels (basically once you find a weapon you like). It's kinda unique and it still allows for low soul level runs because the games are still beatable with any combination of equipment , which is cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

well, i dont agree, since being allowed to customise the way u play has a lot of pros. and itsj ust fun to do. its probably a chore for people who have some kind of decision anxiety but i dont think removing it is good

I have started lots of characters in souls games just because I see a cool weapon on one char that I don't want to use or can't use, and then make a guy built around just using that for the heck of it. The huge variety of weapons is probably the #1 reason I've played the games so much

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I think we can all agree upgrading armor is lame

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

In Training posted:

I have started lots of characters in souls games just because I see a cool weapon on one char that I don't want to use or can't use, and then make a guy built around just using that for the heck of it. The huge variety of weapons is probably the #1 reason I've played the games so much

I want to do this without making a new guy - I guess I stay pretty attached to the first guy who crosses the finish line. Ascetics(a good idea) just resetting bosses/shortcuts instead of making the area new game+ would be good too. I could probably type a bunch of big dumb words about what I want in Jeffreys' Souls, but I won't.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I would definitely love someway to reset an area, especially if they keep multiplayer summons keyed to bosses

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A boss rush mode would be cool

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

theres supposed to be one in bloodborne root chalices but nobodys found it yet QQ

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

apparently there is one, locked away in some root cfhalice that noones found yet

e: beaten :eng99:

Mr. Sophistication fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 4, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

theres supposed to be one in bloodborne root chalices but nobodys found it yet QQ

Badass

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I.N.R.I posted:

good troll

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

its in the official guide

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i like to think there's a guy somewhere who doesn't post online who spawned one root chalice and got the boss rush dungeon and got pissed because it was really hard at his low level and then never touched the chalice stuff again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

upgrading armor was lame and im glad they got rid of it in bloodborne

i hope the bloodgem system or something similar comes back because that little random loot element is great