Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

he1ixx posted:

Been playing Arcanist for a while and just unlocked Summoner/Scholar. I was wondering how much pet handling should I do? At this point, that amount is "zero pet handling" unless I need to do something special in a leve and tell my pet to heel or something. They seem to handle themselves pretty autonomously but based on some other posts, I feel like I might be missing something that I should be getting used to now.

I personally play with pets under my full control. Being able to pick when you heal means you can override their default gambit like mentality so you can force them to cast a heal when they normally wouldn't. They'll still do things by themselves, just not their cooldown abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
If you're not in a static, why does it matter if you get your weapon first? This is a rhetorical question. A few people seem upset about other people buying non-weapons first. If they're not in your static, who the gently caress cares?

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?

Sade posted:

I'm leveling duo with somebody and we just got to the point in the story where you pick a grand company. A couple of cursory reddit searches suggest your choice of GC doesn't matter much, and I know you can switch between them, but my question specifically concerns the leveling experience. Do different GCs have different story quests? Are my leveling partner and I going to be separated if we pick different GCs?

The hunting logs differ slightly, but they send you to the same general areas. A couple of the rank up quests require dungeons, but they send you to the same ones. The only major differences between the Grand Companies is PvP and armor sets for glamour.

he1ixx posted:

Been playing Arcanist for a while and just unlocked Summoner/Scholar. I was wondering how much pet handling should I do? At this point, that amount is "zero pet handling" unless I need to do something special in a leve and tell my pet to heel or something. They seem to handle themselves pretty autonomously but based on some other posts, I feel like I might be missing something that I should be getting used to now.

Get in the habit of keeping your pets on Obey. You don't need to command them to do their basic attack or heal move, but you will want to be in control of their other moves.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Sade posted:

I'm leveling duo with somebody and we just got to the point in the story where you pick a grand company. A couple of cursory reddit searches suggest your choice of GC doesn't matter much, and I know you can switch between them, but my question specifically concerns the leveling experience. Do different GCs have different story quests? Are my leveling partner and I going to be separated if we pick different GCs?

I think just the first quest when you join the free company is different.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Sade posted:

Choice of GC matters very little unless you do Frontlines PvP, in which case you'll be grouped with other members of your GC.

Otherwise it's just cosmetic gear. Look up photos of each, and choose whichever one you like the best Maelstrom.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Sade posted:

GC only matters for glamors and PVP. The most it affects the story is when you're working with a GC as part of the plot they'll call you by your title, like "Private BonerGoku". Once you max rank it at about lv50 you can change to another GC. It costs 50k though except the first time and it has a two week cooldown but it remembers your seals and rank so you can always go back.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nipponophile posted:

If only DPS queues worked the same way...

More importantly, red scrips for fishing collectables have gone up to 12, or 16 if starred, from 10 or 12 if starred. That makes things a little easier, but won't really be a huge jump. You're still going to have to be prepared to sink some time into it. Of course, if you're not, I don't know how you made it this far with fishing in the first place.

I'm still on track to be slinging a fancy new rod by this weekend. Depending on what collectable windows I can hit tonight, I may stock up so I have some ready to turn in right after the reset.

Despite the fact that I'm going all in for fishing scrip gear, I found that chysahl / adamantite is just more reliable for farming red scrips. If my time window is limited and overlaps anyway I may as well go for the guaranteed items. It's s cool bonus for anybody who only has Fisher at 60 though.

That said, my blue scrip farming for folklore books is all fishing. Thank you, Illuminati Perch.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bland posted:

Well I was after my final spring and I just got mediocre roll after mediocre roll. People seemed to be rolling on cranks and springs quite a lot, most of the lens' went straight in the garbage though. Every party I was in would end up with me being the last person to need loot and everyone peaceing out, even the one I made myself with the description "Please stick around until everyone has their loot". The one time I got a strong roll on a spring I was beaten by a guy wearing Gordian pants already rolling a 99. :smithicide:

Guess I'll try again tomorrow or something.

If you're the party leader, use master looter.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

If you're not in a static, why does it matter if you get your weapon first? This is a rhetorical question. A few people seem upset about other people buying non-weapons first. If they're not in your static, who the gently caress cares?

Because Weapon Damage is the most important stat by far. In increases damage a TON more per point than your main stat does, which means that the weapon does far more to make you an effective party member than any other piece. ALSO the party's total weapon damage directly correlates to limit break damage.

It IS less important if you're not raiding, however not saving for the weapon objectively makes you less effective than you could be. In a group environment, this means you will be holding the group back to at least some degree.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I personally play with pets under my full control. Being able to pick when you heal means you can override their default gambit like mentality so you can force them to cast a heal when they normally wouldn't. They'll still do things by themselves, just not their cooldown abilities.

:psyduck:

Wasn't aware they'd keep casting their heal. Probably should have tested that.

...I still might leave mine to her own devices in most cases.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's probably better to get used to controlling your pet now as opposed to later. If you wait until, say, 60, you'll have gotten so used to going autopilot it'll be harder to adjust to controlling the pet.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TooManyUzukis posted:

It's probably better to get used to controlling your pet now as opposed to later. If you wait until, say, 60, you'll have gotten so used to going autopilot it'll be harder to adjust to controlling the pet.

It's possible I just hit 60 and have been leaving it on autopilot since I started two weeks before HW Early Access. :ohdear:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

TooManyUzukis posted:

Because Weapon Damage is the most important stat by far. In increases damage a TON more per point than your main stat does, which means that the weapon does far more to make you an effective party member than any other piece. ALSO the party's total weapon damage directly correlates to limit break damage.

It IS less important if you're not raiding, however not saving for the weapon objectively makes you less effective than you could be. In a group environment, this means you will be holding the group back to at least some degree.

Literally all content outside of Savage Alex is easy to do without Esoterics gear. So if someone isn't in your static, who the gently caress cares how they spend their tomes?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Pretty much every pet, for Summoner or Scholar, has at least one ability that you really want to control when it happens, rather than letting it go off on cooldown. You want to time your Contagions, Radiant Shields, Whispering Dawns, and probably Fey Winds.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Just curious, for tanks, do weapons generally give a bigger vitality boost than chest or pants for the same ilvl jump? I'd check xivdb myself but it doesn't want to load at work (not even proxied, just... doesn't work :()

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's possible I just hit 60 and have been leaving it on autopilot since I started two weeks before HW Early Access. :ohdear:

I have a horrible admission to make: I did the same thing.

Mordiceius posted:

Literally all content outside of Savage Alex is easy to do without Esoterics gear. So if someone isn't in your static, who the gently caress cares how they spend their tomes?

Group content uses a GROUP, meaning the degree of success of the group is directly correlated to the effectiveness of it's members. Of course I care if someone's bad decision is going to cause the run of whatever I'm doing to take longer. Actively making decisions that make you less effective in group content is the same as saying "I do not care enough about these other 3 or 7 people to make sure I am doing my best in the content I run with them."

TooManyUzukis fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 4, 2015

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You don't actually lose very much out of just letting Selene/Ifrit do their thing on Sic (which isn't to say they aren't slightly better using the proper commands with Obey), but Garuda and Eos benefit a lot from manual commands.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

TooManyUzukis posted:

Pre-HW, it was perfectly fine to leave Selene on autopilot. If you were managing a pet manually, it was Eos. Selene would occasionally try and silence something that she can't interrupt, but the tradeoff for not having to manage her buffs was worth it.

Post HW, now, Selene is very quick on the draw to remove negative statuses but she will also try and remove statuses that she can't cure, in addition to trying to Silence things, and she only has one buff to manage now, so there's more benefit to be gained by micromanaging Selene.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mordiceius posted:

Out of my own curiosity I smacked a target dummy around a bit with my hive spear and the esoteric one. The esoteric spear is a straight upgrade with the same substats just increased. It was around 100 dps difference. It's a big deal for everything you do in the game to have the better weapon.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

You don't actually lose very much out of just letting Selene/Ifrit do their thing on Sic (which isn't to say they aren't slightly better using the proper commands with Obey), but Garuda and Eos benefit a lot from manual commands.

For Garuda if you're not manually controlling contagions to abuse the dot "snapshot" mechanic (ie, extending dots cast under dreadwyrm+raging strikes) then just use ifrit.

Also Garuda's (non enkindle) aoe is less damage than the normal attack on a single target. Under sic it'll be cast on cool down which is bad.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Olesh posted:

Post HW, now, Selene is very quick on the draw to remove negative statuses but she will also try and remove statuses that she can't cure, in addition to trying to Silence things, and she only has one buff to manage now, so there's more benefit to be gained by micromanaging Selene.

What finally got me just suck it up and start learning to control my pet was watching Selene try and cleanse a Vuln Up debuff for the umpteenth time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Olesh posted:

Pre-HW, it was perfectly fine to leave Selene on autopilot. If you were managing a pet manually, it was Eos. Selene would occasionally try and silence something that she can't interrupt, but the tradeoff for not having to manage her buffs was worth it.

This is true.

However, if you're in a full party with 2 scholars and you're in content without aoe curable conditions (most content, really), you should let the other SCH have his selene on sic, and when she casts fey wind for the first time put yours on sic too.

100% fey wind uptime with zero intervention needed after the first couple seconds. :v:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

TooManyUzukis posted:

Group content uses a GROUP, meaning the degree of success of the group is directly correlated to the effectiveness of it's members. Of course I care if someone's bad decision is going to cause the run of whatever I'm doing to take longer. Actively making decisions that make you less effective in group content is the same as saying "I do not care enough about these other 3 or 7 people to make sure I am doing my best in the content I run with them."

Mordiceius posted:

Literally all content outside of Savage Alex is easy to do without Esoterics gear.

Mordiceius posted:

someone isn't in your static

Mordiceius posted:

who the gently caress cares

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
You guys are blowing my mind right now.

I'll take some forays into controlling my pet and see how it goes but I clearly have a lot to learn about this game in general. :staredog:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's funny getting the eso weapon and soul eater now normal hitting for how much it used to crit for. This scaling is crazy yo.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Oh, well, I guess you're just an idiot then. Condolences.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Cause you're not being 100% efficient uuuuggghhhh

I'll buy my AST pants first, you nerds can froth at the mouth about minmaxing but bitches, I'm stylin with those pants. I'm winning the REAL end game here.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Mordiceius posted:

Please tell us more about how all the content you haven't done because you don't have a level 60 DoW/DoM is easy. Nearly everything is easy if you have a static, whereas pub groups spend hours wiping to Ravana Hard, much less EX. By your logic people in statics are really the only people who should be allowed to buy things other than weapons, since that weapon damage is more likely to prevent a wipe with a bunch of mouth breathing pubbies doing 300 dps on whale-ex, than with a coordinated group of players.

Your weapon first is a courtesy not only to yourself but to everyone you queue into DF with.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Just finished the story.

- The Flagship dungeon's last boss is a real fucker to heal.

I found that the trick to this is just to tank his orbs in the final phase. If you try to avoid them, everybody will die while you're finding a spot to cast. Just have >50% HP and take the orb straight the face.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Weapon damage is a pretty big deal, but if a pub pops into my Ravana party tonight with his Eso body I'm not gonna flip out on him.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So when does the FF14 Gamescom stuff happen?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So when does the FF14 Gamescom stuff happen?

I think SE in general is tomorrow.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Gamescom is inconveniently three weeks before the two year anniversary, expect little to no announcements since they're having a 14-hour stream on the 22nd for the two year anniversary

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Moldy Taxes posted:

Weapon damage is a pretty big deal, but if a pub pops into my Ravana party tonight with his Eso body I'm not gonna flip out on him.

Pretty much this. If people keep wiping in any content other than savage Alex chances are it isn't because of any one person's gear choices. If I end up having to yell at somebody it'll be because they are heinously bad at pushing buttons or dodging AoEs.

I don't expect pubs to be good at the game or spend time reading up on what The Best Gear Path is for them, and I go into roulettes with the understanding that I will probably not be done in 20 minutes as a result. I just look at it as a pleasant surprise when I encounter people who actually know how to play and optimize well.

With that said, I need to go punch something with these ridiculous Rising Suns now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Moldy Taxes posted:

I will. Die pubbie scum.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Mordiceius posted:

Because unless you do all of your content solo (spoilers: you can't), your subpar gear choices affect other people? And this choice is literally a no-brainer that doesn't require extensive work to figure out the best option? Jesus Christ, people used to bitch about Belzac posting, but there is not enough bitching about you vomiting garbage onto this forum. I don't think you've had one halfway decent post in this thread.

You're trash, we get it, no one cares. Go be terrible somewhere else.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Vahalla posted:

Please tell us more about how all the content you haven't done because you don't have a level 60 DoW/DoM is easy. Nearly everything is easy if you have a static, whereas pub groups spend hours wiping to Ravana Hard, much less EX. By your logic people in statics are really the only people who should be allowed to buy things other than weapons, since that weapon damage is more likely to prevent a wipe with a bunch of mouth breathing pubbies doing 300 dps on whale-ex, than with a coordinated group of players.

Your weapon first is a courtesy not only to yourself but to everyone you queue into DF with.

Source your quotes.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Many people like to upgrade, and upgrade in order of best bang for the buck, because they like to be effective, and take pride and pleasure in that. Even if it's not a binary yes/no question of "can you clear at all", there's still such things as clearing content cleanly and/or quickly. Sometimes people take more pride and pleasure in their glamours than their performance, and will take an upgrade with less bang for the buck because they're a bigger fan of how it looks. That's subjective. I'd still expect "reasonably good" objective performance from them, even so.

Outside of Savage Alex, you can meet the bar of "reasonably good enough that random strangers won't rage at you for your incompetence" with infinitely available 170-180 gear (plus 190 weapons), so if you prefer to put your weekly limited gear towards looking pretty rather than being really effective, my reaction for encountering you doing that as a stranger in casual content is "eh, whatever". For all I know you might be on an alt job of yours that wouldn't be getting the weekly limited gear anyway.

Now if your gear is utter garbage for the content you're attempting, or your accessories are totally the wrong stats, or (generally the biggest offender) your gear is fine but you can't actually push the right buttons at the right times when aimed at the right targets... then yes, there'll be reactions. And they'll be justified.

But if you've got good infinitely available gear, with appropriate stats, and you're pushing your buttons more or less right? You'll probably be fine. You might not be as awesome a random person as your group might have hoped you would be, but you won't be That Exceptionally Memorably Bad Pubbie either.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I got lucky and managed to get a green weapon from my first Nevereap run, so my first Eso purchase was for the shield (the Eso sword is next, of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I'm going to buy my eso belt first just to piss off the weapons first and glamours first crowds.
:dealwithit:

• Locked thread