Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Thanks for the replies about Baseball Highlights guys. Going to have to try before I buy that one.

Poopy Palpy posted:

I think there's something wrong with me: I need to add $31.01 to my Coolstuff order to get free shipping and nothing is calling out to me. This has never happened before, I swear.

I legit can't make a CSI order right now. I think I'm broken.
Also :argh: what is up with the new Mage Knight expansion?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Unfortunately the first thread was pre-fun war so a baseline is difficult to create, although I guess it would have a high fun quotient due to the pre-war nature of the thread. The second thread was the battleground of the fun wars so the fun quotient was extremely low as the two sides fought each other to a standstill: as befits my italian heritage, I switched sides from Fun to Anti-Fun midway through. The third thread had a negative fun quotient since the Anti-Fun troops had taken over, while now we are around zero fun quotient (slightly positive) as the situation has finally stabilized and concessions have been made on both sides.

Please recount the story of the funwars for us newbies! I mean, I get that "it's just fun" is a meme in the thread, and I'm very much anti-fun myself, but I'd still love to hear more. Also, I agree that we've probably mellowed out on people enjoying Munchkin, except we still try to get people to break the bad habit, sometimes a bit more condescending than needed.

Poopy Palpy posted:

If I pay for shipping my the efficiency of my money-to-games engine goes down and I play to win.

This. It's not like you aren't going to buy more games later, so why not get free shipping every time? Also get Colt Express, since it's fun as hell in a Roborally light sort of way

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It's not really as exciting as it sounds: we basically had a period in the second thread where every two weeks like clockwork people would argue about crap like objectivity/subjectivity and the usage of fun and what constituted what a good/bad game was to the extent that the thread was mostly endless meta discussions rather than, you know, actually discussing the game themselves, which lead to the mod of TG at the time (Winson) to come in and tell us to cut the poo poo out, which happened more than once. There was a gradual culture change during that time as well thanks to a few Anti-Fun loudmouths but now the thread has chilled out somewhat although flare-ups are unavoidable.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 4, 2015

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Tekopo posted:

although flare-ups are unavoidable.

Much like herpes, fun will find a way to ruin your day.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So last night we tried a new(?) idea with Galaxy Trucker where we only played round 3 to save time, since round 1 is usually pretty boring at this point and playing all 3 rounds takes the game into hour+ territory. We tend to get together on weekends for 3-4 hours so a single game taking up a third of the time and then debating whether to play a second game (and thus dominating half the night) or clean up all the poo poo we just dumped on the table was getting annoying.

Does this seem like a good idea? Do the early rounds help balance the game by favoring the methodical players over the reckless ones? Should we just move on to expansions if we are getting bored with early rounds instead? Is there any other tips for keeping a single game on the short side (not including setup, the ideal is that we can crack out two or three games so the long setup isn't just for a single playthrough)?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I recall most of the "fun wars" were just the thread getting trolled by Rutibex.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Gimnbo posted:

I recall most of the "fun wars" were just the thread getting trolled by Rutibex.
Nah, this was all pre-rutibex.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Deathlove posted:

I couldn't find anyone with it at GenCon, but I did play Bottom of the Ninth and that was a good time.

YOU FUCKER!

I went by their booth & room 10+ times. They only have one person who knows how to play the drat game and he was very unpunctual/always at break/lunch.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ChiTownEddie posted:

Also :argh: what is up with the new Mage Knight expansion?!?!

Not sure about the gameplay quality, but apparently the card stock is noticeably different colored and cheaper and the tokens are smaller than the base/legion tokens. This is according to BGG posters, at least.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I draw my mage knight stuff off the bottom of the stacks because everything from my 1 edition base set (:smug:) and Lost Legion don't match for poo poo

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Guy A. Person posted:

So last night we tried a new(?) idea with Galaxy Trucker where we only played round 3 to save time, since round 1 is usually pretty boring at this point and playing all 3 rounds takes the game into hour+ territory. We tend to get together on weekends for 3-4 hours so a single game taking up a third of the time and then debating whether to play a second game (and thus dominating half the night) or clean up all the poo poo we just dumped on the table was getting annoying.

Does this seem like a good idea? Do the early rounds help balance the game by favoring the methodical players over the reckless ones? Should we just move on to expansions if we are getting bored with early rounds instead? Is there any other tips for keeping a single game on the short side (not including setup, the ideal is that we can crack out two or three games so the long setup isn't just for a single playthrough)?

You're not going to make the game take up less of your game night time by playing only the longest round if you're then going to play that round 2-3 times.

I'd move on to expansions if you're finding the early rounds boring. If nothing else it sounds like you might prefer to play a II-III-IV game.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
2-3-4 is pretty fun, 1 is a toss out when the only purpose for it is baby's first lovely ship. Maybe toss everyone a few credits to signify they are vastly experienced by being able to construct a single crappy sewer pipe ship, which puts them above rank and file pencil pushers.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Durendal posted:

Some changes in the new Through the Ages edition have been posted. Seems like they are still playtesting it so nothing is final.

Wow. Those are actually huge. Not sure how I feel about removing the sacrificing of military units. It was a clunky as hell rule and half the people I play with still struggle to calculate their potential military strength at times, but it was key for making military a real threat, making defense credible and most importantly of all it ensured military leaders would regularly lose their lead based on how much they wanted specific colonies or successful aggressions. It was a very key part of the way the game keeps people cycling through ups and downs. It also lead to fun mind games where you could bluff people into and out of sacrificing units they didn't need to. The new set up sounds much more static and I don't see much of a mechanism for allowing military catch up.

Glad they tossed Holy War though. The only time that card was ever played successfully we looked at what it would do to the victim and house-ruled it on the spot (tracked the victim's culture as if they had been holy warred into oblivion but didn't remove any of their pieces and kept a second score count going so that they could keep playing and see what their score would have been otherwise).

Copying tactics though is genius.

The wonder and leader balance is interesting. They've buffed some wonders I thought were fine and in particular gave some leaders a massive boost. Things will doubtless be pretty different with the military changes though so it's really hard to judge.

Cool to see that the new edition is going to be a very different game though. I'll be happy to own both.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Any word if the rulebook will be less garbage?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
My (and silvergoose's) friend Joe Huber put together a collection of games that were common in the 45 "50 games I would keep" geeklists. The first 25 of these represent a solid start to a board gamer's collection--

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/194067/50-keeper-project-collective-keepers-updated-729/page/1

Not as much for party gamers, thematic gamers, or wargamers but if you are just getting into the hobby, you could do a lot worse than those 25 games.

It's also far better than just buying the top 25 BGG rated games....there are some games in that list which would be pretty daunting for someone just starting out.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lorini posted:

It's also far better than just buying the top 25 BGG rated games....there are some games in that list which would be pretty daunting for someone just starting out.

Buying the top 25 BGG rated games also means the newbie would now own Dead of Winter, which they would certainly enjoy, but... They'd also own Dominion: Intrigue without the base!

I'm actually kinda surprised For Sale came up as often as it did in that common list. I mean, it's a fine filler game, but I'd rather have Love Letter or something instead. Also surprisingly a lot of older games, like Taj Mahal, which is something I haven't thought of in forever.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lorini posted:

My (and silvergoose's) friend Joe Huber put together a collection of games that were common in the 45 "50 games I would keep" geeklists. The first 25 of these represent a solid start to a board gamer's collection--

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/194067/50-keeper-project-collective-keepers-updated-729/page/1

Not as much for party gamers, thematic gamers, or wargamers but if you are just getting into the hobby, you could do a lot worse than those 25 games.

Pretty swank. Joe's a cool dude.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So later today I'll be heading to Tuesday boardgaming for round two of Argent, this time for a 4 or possibly 5 player game if things line up that way. For those of you who've played more games than I have, what's some good advice as far as board layouts go? Obviously the rulebook gives you some default layouts based on player count but you're also supposed to be able to make your own if you like and I'm wondering if there are any not-so-obvious pitfalls to avoid in doing so. Any interesting B-side tiles to consider, stuff like that.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It was really hard for me not to buy Ticket to Ride and base Dominion but they are asking for outrageous prices for those two and Dixit - basically $100 or so each, to which they add shipping and handling costs.

I might get Love Letter though. And maybe Eminent Domain + expansion towards the end of the year

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Anyone have suggestions for good (and cheap) board game storage shelves? I'm currently thinking of this (the one without the bins) but other suggestions are welcome. I don't really want anything wider or much taller, though there's definitely more leeway on height than width, but obviously the depth is about where it needs to be considering the average board game box size. This won't be for my full collection or anything, just looking to move some stuff out of the hallway linen closet.

Amazon Prime eligible things are vastly preferred because gently caress shipping and waiting

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Rise of the Rutibex was like a fun insurgency.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
He even has his own Ho Chi Minh trail, stockpiling all sorts of fun in his Talisman box.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If nothing else it sounds like you might prefer to play a II-III-IV game.

This actually sounds like a pretty cool solution, I might try this next time.

To clarify a little, it's not about saving overall time. The ideal is when we set up a game - especially one with a significant amount of setup - we want to be able to crack out 2-3 games at least in order to get our worth out of it. I feel like we can get out 2 games with just a single round 3 in roughly the time it takes us to play a single full game, and get in a third in well under the time it would take for a second full game. And when one of those rounds is entirely perfunctory at this point, we figured we could just play the most challenging and fun round.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Lorini posted:

It's pretty interesting how high up Taj Mahal is, given that it never seems to be talked about much from what I can tell. I have a used copy in the mail, pretty interested since I freaking love Ra

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

GrandpaPants posted:

Buying the top 25 BGG rated games also means the newbie would now own Dead of Winter, which they would certainly enjoy, but... They'd also own Dominion: Intrigue without the base!

I'm actually kinda surprised For Sale came up as often as it did in that common list. I mean, it's a fine filler game, but I'd rather have Love Letter or something instead. Also surprisingly a lot of older games, like Taj Mahal, which is something I haven't thought of in forever.

Remember Intrigue comes with the base cards. I was surprised about For Sale as well. Dominant Species is holding on at 25 in the BGG list, that would be quite daunting to someone just starting out.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Picked up the new Mage Knight expansion yesterday; hopefully will get a chance to play it tonight.

The box + insert, on the other hand, is absolutely terrible.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kai Tave posted:

So later today I'll be heading to Tuesday boardgaming for round two of Argent, this time for a 4 or possibly 5 player game if things line up that way. For those of you who've played more games than I have, what's some good advice as far as board layouts go? Obviously the rulebook gives you some default layouts based on player count but you're also supposed to be able to make your own if you like and I'm wondering if there are any not-so-obvious pitfalls to avoid in doing so. Any interesting B-side tiles to consider, stuff like that.

Choose a layout beforehand, and one that is non-random. Pay attention to which things are available in what quantities, and make sure that you tell the players how available the resources are before the game starts.

It's also a great opportunity, if your group likes spells, for instance, to set up the board with more of a specific type of resource. Make int/wis/research/mana common, and people will sling spells like hotcakes. Make them rare, and that won't happen as much.

I really like the B side supporter recruiting room. You get a lot more competition that way.

Edit: if you make spells a main focus, consider adding in the room that lets you place all of your mages as one action on the side that gives gold or mana (you can get IP regardless, and it makes for a very flexible way to dump all your workers as one action). Also consider B side mysticism and sorcery mages, since they synergize well with spells.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 4, 2015

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

OmegaGoo posted:

The box + insert, on the other hand, is absolutely terrible.

If you keep expansion boxes and inserts you are a bad person.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The first thing happens in pretty much any game for me, expansion or otherwise, is that all the cardboard (that isn't part of the game) gets tossed and everything bagged up. Any expansions are consolidated within the main box so there is only box that makes "the game".

My Twilight Imperium box could used as a bench pressing weight.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Guy A. Person posted:

The ideal is when we set up a game - especially one with a significant amount of setup - we want to be able to crack out 2-3 games at least in order to get our worth out of it.

This is a really weird metric for deciding "worth". If you're going to be spending ninety minutes building three ships either way, why is it only worthwhile if you call it three games instead of one?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Argent Rooms

I just let everyone pick 2 rooms [and sides!] each, and that left me 3 or so to pick myself. You might wanna look at how many rooms there should be per players, but there's no like pitfalls you'll end up running into.
One time we had a setup with about 1 way to get gold, so that just changed people's priorities and made certain supporters/items more valuable and whatever.
It was pretty neat.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

djfooboo posted:

If you keep expansion boxes and inserts you are a bad person.

Same, except for 7 Wonders. I threw out the core game box, kept the Cities box for the wonders and extra bits, and put the cards in a card box.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

This is a really weird metric for deciding "worth". If you're going to be spending ninety minutes building three ships either way, why is it only worthwhile if you call it three games instead of one?

Depends on what the "atom" of the game is. I think they talked about this on Ludology once. For Galaxy Trucker, that atom to me is the ship building. So I'd rather do three rounds of ship building than one long ship building and long resolution, time spent being equal. edit: I guess for this specific example, the later rounds of ship building in an individual game of GT are the interesting atoms, for Guy

Like wise, if I have two equally "fun" (:xd:) games but the first takes 1 hour and the other takes 2, one might just consider that as 2 hours of fun gaming either way, but I generally prefer the smaller atom just because I might be more willing to experiment in the shorter game and try something wildly different the second time around. Like Dominion for example, I'd much rather play two 30 minute games than 1 hour long game.

vvvv e: yeah it never even occurred to me to play Baseball Highlights 2045 more than 2 player

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 4, 2015

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ChiTownEddie posted:

Has anyone played Baseball Highlights 2045?? I am a baseball fiend so the theme is incredibly appealing.....if the game isn't trash haha.

To add a bit to what others have said: the game is essentially two player only. There's a weird 3/5 player variant, but the 4 player variant is literally just two 2-player games going beside each other. It seems completely designed around being two players, with all player setups beyond that being an afterthought.

Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but something to keep in mind.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I just let everyone pick 2 rooms [and sides!] each, and that left me 3 or so to pick myself. You might wanna look at how many rooms there should be per players, but there's no like pitfalls you'll end up running into.
One time we had a setup with about 1 way to get gold, so that just changed people's priorities and made certain supporters/items more valuable and whatever.
It was pretty neat.

I might try this but only after people get much more familiar with the game, otherwise this sounds like a good way to introduce a healthy dose of pre-game analysis paralysis.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I might try this but only after people get much more familiar with the game, otherwise this sounds like a good way to introduce a healthy dose of pre-game analysis paralysis.

Oh yeah, it's worth pointing out we'd been playing it pretty regularly at this point.
I just used the reccomended ones for the first bunch of games, they seem pretty balanced?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I can cop to that. It is mostly a perception thing.

Part of it is also that at the end of a good game there's this feeling like you could do better and maybe win if you just played one more game; you see the mistakes you made or the cool things you did and you want to correct/repeat that and see if you can do even better. You want to rechallenge your opponents and see what happens. I don't feel like you get that as much playing the early rounds. The tradeoff is that there is more of a race and opportunity to come from behind and redeem yourself, but it lacks the finality.

I'm maybe just talking out of my rear end here, but I got the II-III-IV suggestion so I don't regret asking.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Oh yeah, it's worth pointing out we'd been playing it pretty regularly at this point.
I just used the reccomended ones for the first bunch of games, they seem pretty balanced?

I'll probably do that to start with but I know that if Argent becomes an even semi-regular occurrence that people are going to want to start playing around with things and I wanted to make sure that there weren't any disastrous combinations to avoid or anything.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
You'll be fine, it's the expansion rooms that are more complex anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Lorini posted:

Another thing that's interesting is how many of these are out of print, or were for years until just recently:
T&E just reprinted
El Grande oop for a while, reprinting soon
Keyflower in the middle of a reprint
Ra oop
Taj Mahal oop
Twilight Struggle oop
Goa oop
18XX? Dunno
Samurai
Antiquity
Indonesia
Jambo
Troyes

I think Hansa Teutonica was reprinted recently?

People taunt the cult of the new, but the problem is kind of perpetuated when a third of the old hotness is oop..