Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I seem to have started eyeing cars in parking lots and noting how suitable they would be in Mad Max (after upgrades).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think I like all the Mad Max movies sans the first one.

Tell me you at least think Toecutter and Bubba Zanetti were awesome.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Like, I really want models of the War Rig, Doof Wagon, Gigahorse, Big Foot and the V8 Interceptor. The cars were characters in and of themselves.

Models? gently caress that, I want to drive Nux's car on my commute. Or maybe that big Buzzard rig for getting through traffic jams.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Well, viewing #3 was still amazing.
Theatre was pretty busy for a matinee showing of a movie that's been out for this long.

I saw no less than 3 other guys rocking out whenever the Doof Warrior was doing his thing.

:perfect:

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I foresee this movie being the next midnight movie classic, complete with cosplay and acting it out as it plays

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Retardog posted:

I foresee this movie being the next midnight movie classic, complete with cosplay and acting it out as it plays

You say that like it hasn't already...

This was the band MISSILE that was one of the performers at the Texas Theatre showing of Fury Road. They even introduced the movie with the War Boys chant and the whole event encouraged the audience to be in costume.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

:perfect:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Young Freud posted:

You say that like it hasn't already...

This was the band MISSILE that was one of the performers at the Texas Theatre showing of Fury Road. They even introduced the movie with the War Boys chant and the whole event encouraged the audience to be in costume.

Oh my god that is loving amazing :magical:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The thing with the Texas Theatre is that they have a bar, so whenever they have a repertory showing, they will do themed drinks. So, Fury Road had Mother's Milk, which was Kahula with something else, and Furiosa, which was Vodka, Grenadine, Lime and Fire. Not Fireball or some other liquor, FIRE, as they lit the loving thing on fire.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Young Freud posted:

The thing with the Texas Theatre is that they have a bar, so whenever they have a repertory showing, they will do themed drinks. So, Fury Road had Mother's Milk, which was Kahula with something else, and Furiosa, which was Vodka, Grenadine, Lime and Fire. Not Fireball or some other liquor, FIRE, as they lit the loving thing on fire.

They should have had that silver aerosol food colour spray for anybody who wanted to ride shiny and chrome.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

The Zombie Guy posted:

They should have had that silver aerosol food colour spray for anybody who wanted to ride shiny and chrome.

I'll bet the company that makes that are loving ecstatic right now.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

VideoTapir posted:

I'll bet the company that makes that are loving ecstatic right now.

I went to order some on Amazon and "users also bought" shows some motorcycle googles as an add-on item. I also got it in my recommendations because I bought the art book (thanks to folks who praised it here, it's phenomenal). I've seen it sold out on shelves at local craft shops, too.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I had to go look it up to see what you guys were talking about ... the reviews and customer questions on Amazon are as amazing as you'd hope.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-710-5521-Silver-Color-Mist/dp/B005KTVG86

quote:

Will this product ensure my path to Valhalla? Do I need to be witnessed as well?

quote:

May you ride eternal, shiny and chrome.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Chamale posted:

Models? gently caress that, I want to drive Nux's car on my commute. Or maybe that big Buzzard rig for getting through traffic jams.

gently caress yeah, I'd even take that rad spiky dune buggy and just tear rear end around, barreling into people and screaming like a loving maniac :black101:

CaptainViolence posted:

I had to go look it up to see what you guys were talking about ... the reviews and customer questions on Amazon are as amazing as you'd hope.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-710-5521-Silver-Color-Mist/dp/B005KTVG86
[/b]

:laffo:

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 4, 2015

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
Just want to point out that I looked for a bunch of little details the last time I saw the movie and Splendid's uninjured left foot is definitely the one that slips.

I agree that Max blames himself for it but she doesn't slip because of the blood.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Regulus74 posted:

Just want to point out that I looked for a bunch of little details the last time I saw the movie and Splendid's uninjured left foot is definitely the one that slips.

I agree that Max blames himself for it but she doesn't slip because of the blood.

I thought this too, and it wasn't until my 4th viewing that I noticed her right foot slip off the bloody fender first. It's a much more subtle movement and the fender is hard to see, so it's easy to miss.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Regulus74 posted:

This poo poo cannot come out on bluray soon enough. The first two times I clearly saw her bloody foot slip, the third time I saw her other foot slip, but my roomate saw her bloody foot slip.

I think that Fury Road is so awesome that it's causing a quantum rift in space-time.

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
I know I saw her right foot dangling off the rig and it makes sense that it slipped off of something curved like a fender.

And now all I want to do is see this in theaters for a third time but it's not showing anywhere near me. Goddamn it I love this movie.

Regulus74 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 4, 2015

Pickpocket
Dec 16, 2005
Once you get past how cool everything looks you realize it's just mindless, repetitive action that has no semblance of a story. The characters are horrifically one dimensional and incredibly cliched. The scene where Furiosa realizes her home is destroyed and she rips her fake arm off and screams at the sky is a strong candidate for the top 5 worst scenes of all time. So much cringe. It's hard to imagine that anything will be more overrated in 2015, don't believe the hype.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Pickpocket posted:

Once you get past how cool everything looks you realize it's just mindless, repetitive action that has no semblance of a story. The characters are horrifically one dimensional and incredibly cliched. The scene where Furiosa realizes her home is destroyed and she rips her fake arm off and screams at the sky is a strong candidate for the top 5 worst scenes of all time. So much cringe. It's hard to imagine that anything will be more overrated in 2015, don't believe the hype.

:mediocre:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Pickpocket posted:

Someone has a short attention span.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

I'll never get past how cool everything looks.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Snak posted:

This poo poo cannot come out on bluray soon enough. The first two times I clearly saw her bloody foot slip, the third time I saw her other foot slip, but my roomate saw her bloody foot slip.

I think that Fury Road is so awesome that it's causing a quantum rift in space-time.

If you want to spoil the mystery (50 seconds in if you're in a hurry):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X_y9HP4uUw

Bloody foot slips, then she looses footing with the uninjured foot.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Except your spoiler is wrong. her bloody foot is already hanging in space, at rest, when the camera cuts back to her feet, then her dry foot slips. huh, could have sworn I saw it differently before.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Snak posted:

Except your spoiler is wrong. her bloody foot is already hanging in space, at rest, when the camera cuts back to her feet, then her dry foot slips. huh, could have sworn I saw it differently before.

At this point I just have to consider that you might have a vision problem.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Lurdiak posted:

You were just scanning the horizon.

Not shiny, not chrome.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Snak posted:

That's what threw me, the fender is edge on so it's easy to miss and think her foot is dangling.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Snak posted:

Notice the blood trail on the fender?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

At this point I just have to consider that you might have a vision problem.

I rewound it a bunch of times. My youtube is dropping frames. One time I saw her foot on the fender before it slipped. All the other times, those frames were literally not there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snak posted:

I rewound it a bunch of times. My youtube is dropping frames. One time I saw her foot on the fender before it slipped. All the other times, those frames were literally not there.

Sounds like your browser is lovely and Chrome.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Sounds like your browser is lovely and Chrome.

That would be accurate. But yes I can now clearly what's happening, and why there's so much confusion. The motion and composition in the shot kind of draws the eye away from her back foot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snak posted:

That would be accurate. But yes I can now clearly what's happening, and why there's so much confusion. The motion and composition in the shot kind of draws the eye away from her back foot.

Plus the shot is sped up aside from being hella short. Kind of a weird choice, really, looks a bit 300-ish.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pickpocket posted:

poo poo this totally changed my mind and explained everything to me.

No wait, never mind.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Once you get past how edgy every criticism looks you realize it's just mindless, repetitive begging the question. The criticisms are horribly vague and assume some kind of quantifiable objectivity. The example they use to illustrate their point is an assertion of hyperbole, one of the foulest fallacies. So much cringe. It's hard to imagine that anything will be less thought out in 2015, but I'm sure someone will pull it off.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I have found that the people who hated Fury Road also hated Gravity for roughly the same reasons. Some people just can't appreciate a visual spectacle and the enormous amount of work and ingenuity that goes behind it. There has to be something more or it's supposedly an insult to their intelligence. I don't know why they watch movies, but they do.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

fspades posted:

I have found that the people who hated Fury Road also hated Gravity for roughly the same reasons. Some people just can't appreciate a visual spectacle and the enormous amount of work and ingenuity that goes behind it. There has to be something more or it's supposedly an insult to their intelligence. I don't know why they watch movies, but they do.

I hated Gravity and loved Fury Road.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The worst part is that Fury Road's not even "just a visual spectacle". That would be something like the Fast & Furious or Transformers films, which are almost exclusively made so the creators have an excuse to set off explosives and crash cars in HD. Fury Road has a ton of epic spectacle that's almost unmatched in the skill behind it, but it also has very strong and well-written characters (including a majority female cast for the heroes and not a single example of women being used as nothing but useless damsels or living props/eye candy), engages in large amounts of world building through subtle hints and detail rather than exposition, and tells its story so effectively that the world and plot could be easily understood with no dialogue whatsoever.

There seems to be an unfortunate thing where people believe that the key to a good story is complexity, rather than skill at telling it. There's an expectation that you'll see unexpected twists, everyone with their own plots building up, and secrets being unveiled that all create an interconnected web. The problem is that so many works do this badly, like Lost after a few seasons. On the other hand, Fury Road's story is relatively simple but told well and with excellent characters. It even manages to maintain tension (despite everyone knowing that yes, Max and Furiosa will succeed in their quest in the end and save the girls) by establishing that literally any of the heroes, no matter their beauty or apparent importance, has the risk of dying before it's over.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Lots of people seem to lack imagination and miss anything that isn't explicitly spelled out for them.

I blame anime.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Whiz Palace posted:

Lots of people seem to lack imagination and miss anything that isn't explicitly spelled out for them.

I blame Jojo.

FTFTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Yeah, his dumb bait post wasn't specific enough to get a rise out of anyone. Yours was though, good job!

fspades posted:

chitoryu12 posted:

There seems to be an unfortunate thing where people believe that the key to a good story is complexity, rather than skill at telling it.

Fury Road's good for what it has to say; strong execution supports that. It universalizes the blame for the apocalypse instead of singling out some individual elite or outsider, a good half the movie is about establishing trust when both parties could destroy the other, and the visuals either reinforce those ideas directly or suggest related ones (like the article earlier about how the wives were lit and shot.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 5, 2015

• Locked thread