Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Citizen Tayne posted:

They aren't making any money. They're hemorrhaging cash at twice the rate they're making it, and those are the "good" numbers they're showing investors.

they must be making money or else the free market wouldn't have valued them so highly :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Citizen Tayne posted:

They aren't making any money. They're hemorrhaging cash at twice the rate they're making it, and those are the "good" numbers they're showing investors.

my dad posted:

they must be making money or else the free market wouldn't have valued them so highly :smuggo:

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i don't really see how Uber is losing money.

they pay their drivers a fraction of the fare [less than minimum wage], and they wrote the app 4 years ago, their overhead can't be that huge unless they have ball pits full of money or something they burn on a daily basis.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

oh duh i mixed up git and github :doh:

i don't know what you mean by "hitting the sha1" but why not use a guid for author identification?

i just mean it's covered by the sha1 for commit id purposes

yeah i could see some kind of guid in commits that could be automatically joined against a separate user table. even if youre cis scum and arent dealing with a name change itd be nice to update the email addy on your old contributions every so often.

downside is youd deffo end up juggling multiple guids across repos or mebbe even within the same repo at some point even if youre careful to reuse the same guid because when you email someone a first commit either youd need to religiously include your preferred guid in the commit along with your preferred name/email, or theyd need to generate a new guid for your entry in their table. given the system was written to handle the case of commits flying between thousands of arbitrary people over email, fitting a per-repo user db into that adds a lot of complexity

so i could see why git authors may have decided to skip that feature

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

olds who still have faith in the financial system own

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

i just mean it's covered by the sha1 for commit id purposes

yeah i could see some kind of guid in commits that could be automatically joined against a separate user table. even if youre cis scum and arent dealing with a name change itd be nice to update the email addy on your old contributions every so often.

downside is youd deffo end up juggling multiple guids across repos or mebbe even within the same repo at some point even if youre careful to reuse the same guid because when you email someone a first commit either youd need to religiously include your preferred guid in the commit along with your preferred name/email, or theyd need to generate a new guid for your entry in their table. given the system was written to handle the case of commits flying between thousands of arbitrary people over email, fitting a per-repo user db into that adds a lot of complexity

so i could see why git authors may have decided to skip that feature

hmm, i think i sort of understand, thank you for explaining :tipshat:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

they pay their drivers a fraction of the fare [less than minimum wage], and they wrote the app 4 years ago, their overhead can't be that huge unless they have ball pits full of money or something they burn on a daily basis.

all that effort to attack and discredit journalists cant be cheap

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Beast of Bourbon posted:

they have a lot of "free rides" promotions

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i actually got a couple recruiter emails from uber a week or two ago

tbh i was thinking id reply and badmouth them but i bet the recruiter gets enough poo poo from their employerbusiness partner as it is

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

computer parts posted:

they have a lot of "free rides" promotions
much like your mom

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Beast of Bourbon posted:

there're a couple of client bases for taxis: locals, regional travellers and international travellers. the third market is potentially the most lucrative, but to effectively capture it you need offices and drivers worldwide. problem is, it's also the lowest volume, so to support those offices and drivers you need the regional and local travellers as well. but you only get those if you get in before the locally-developed ridesharing apps do.

hence uber's ridiculous expansion rate and ridiculous expansion costs and ridiculous marketing and ridiculous marketing costs.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Kitchens are expensive and dirty. This home manufacturing center has been by far the most liberating to eliminate. They are the greediest consumers of power, water, and labor and produce the most noise and garbage of any room. Moreover, they can be made totally unnecessary with a few practical life hacks.

First, I never cook. I am all for self reliance but repeating the same labor over and over for the sake of existence is the realm of robots. I utilize soylent only at home and go out to eat when craving company or flavor. This eliminates a panoply of expensive tools and rotting ingredients I would need to spend an unconscionable amount of time sourcing, preparing, and cleaning.

Next, I switched from beer to red wine. I buy with Saucey so I don’t have to use awful retail stores. Decent red wine is surprisingly cheap, pleasurable, and does not require refrigeration. I also end up drinking less liquid overall, meaning fewer bottles to throw away (I average about one trashbag / month) and fewer trips to the bathroom, meaning for a comparable amount of alcohol, when wine is consumed instead of beer there is less electrolyte loss and less after effects.

With no fridge, no dishes, no microwave, no oven, no range, no dishwasher, no utensils, no pests, no cleaning products nor dirty rags, my life is considerably simpler, lighter and cleaner than before. I think it was a bit presumptuous for the architect to assume I wanted a kitchen with my apartment and make me pay for it. My home is a place of peace. I don’t want to live with red hot heating elements and razor sharp knives. That sounds like a torture chamber. However, it’s not a total loss. I was able to use the cabinets to store part of my book collection.

I have not done laundry in years. I get my clothing custom made in China for prices you would not believe and have new ones regularly shipped to me.

The first space colonies will have no coal power plants. I am ready. For now though, as I am driven through the gleaming city, my hunger peacefully at bay, I have visions of the parking lots and grocery stores replaced by parks and community centers, power plants retrofitted as museums and galleries. Traffic and trash and pollution will evaporate, if only we are willing to adapt some routines.

Forums Terrorist posted:

the japanese are a race of shiftless bastards and the best thing would be to let the germans carve their government and institutions up like a turkey

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

hmm, i think i sort of understand, thank you for explaining :tipshat:

A git repository is a chronicle of the entire history of the project. When you "clone" a git repo, you copy the entire project history to your computer. You then append some work to that local copy and then you "push" to automatically reconcile the central repository with your local repository. Most of the time it's just a case of copying your changes to the central repository, but if somebody else has performed some changes to the central repository after you took a copy of it then it is a little bit more complicated (but usually still automatic).

The important thing is, after you've pushed your changes, your project history and the central project history are identical. In fact, the only reason that the repository on the server (and not, say, your copy, or Bob's copy) is the "central" copy is that everybody agrees that it is. The other important fact is, the reconciliation process assumes that history is set in stone. Otherwise, whose view of history is "right"? So if you share changes with other people and then change your mind and rewrite history then Git gets confused and it's a pain in the rear end for everybody involved to fix it.

The name attached to each change recorded in Git is part of this development history, it's literally just a string like "Anita Jones <anita.jones@example.com>". This is just a consequence of Git's mechanisms to detect malicious tampering (say, to insert backdoors into the development history without anybody noticing). If Anita gets a divorce later and changes her author string to "Anita Smith <anita.smith@example.com>" then all of her future changes will be tagged Anita Smith, but her name was still Anita Jones at the time when her previous changes were made. And you can't change the past in Git without having to manually repair every single developer's local repository clones so that they all agree on what happened in the past. Sometimes though somebody checks in an NDAed document or a private key or a production server password though, and you have no choice but to go back and manually scathe that out of the record on the server and on every developer's machine, but again, it's a huge pain in the rear end.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

A git repository is a chronicle of the entire history of the project. When you "clone" a git repo, you copy the entire project history to your computer. You then append some work to that local copy and then you "push" to automatically reconcile the central repository with your local repository. Most of the time it's just a case of copying your changes to the central repository, but if somebody else has performed some changes to the central repository after you took a copy of it then it is a little bit more complicated (but usually still automatic).

The important thing is, after you've pushed your changes, your project history and the central project history are identical. In fact, the only reason that the repository on the server (and not, say, your copy, or Bob's copy) is the "central" copy is that everybody agrees that it is. The other important fact is, the reconciliation process assumes that history is set in stone. Otherwise, whose view of history is "right"? So if you share changes with other people and then change your mind and rewrite history then Git gets confused and it's a pain in the rear end for everybody involved to fix it.

The name attached to each change recorded in Git is part of this development history, it's literally just a string like "Anita Jones <anita.jones@example.com>". This is just a consequence of Git's mechanisms to detect malicious tampering (say, to insert backdoors into the development history without anybody noticing). If Anita gets a divorce later and changes her author string to "Anita Smith <anita.smith@example.com>" then all of her future changes will be tagged Anita Smith, but her name was still Anita Jones at the time when her previous changes were made. And you can't change the past in Git without having to manually repair every single developer's local repository clones so that they all agree on what happened in the past. Sometimes though somebody checks in an NDAed document or a private key or a production server password though, and you have no choice but to go back and manually scathe that out of the record on the server and on every developer's machine, but again, it's a huge pain in the rear end.

this is a great explanation :golfclap:

i think the detail i was unaware of is that git communications happened over email, i thought they defined their own thing so when you do git push or whatever it was it's own protocol (?) communicating with the server, which would make guids really easy to use as user-ids

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i thought that rob rhinehart thing was satire but then i looked him up and realized he invented soylent

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

this is a great explanation :golfclap:

i think the detail i was unaware of is that git communications happened over email, i thought they defined their own thing so when you do git push or whatever it was it's own protocol (?) communicating with the server, which would make guids really easy to use as user-ids

The scenarios I was describing do in fact use Git's own protocol to connect to remote repositories directly.

but you can also mail "patch files" to a reviewer who will then personally approve/reject your changes and commit them to the repo. The Linux kernel's development works this way, most small-scale Git development works the first way (i.e. everybody is trusted to check stuff into the central repo directly without loving it up and the review process, if any, is informal).

It doesn't have any bearing on what I just described though. The author name and author email are just dumb text, they don't affect the delivery of changes to a central repository in any way. I could tag my commits "Barack Obama <president@whitehouse.gov>" for all the difference that would make.

Of course, in a year's time Barry's email is probably going to be different...

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Anyway the original article reads like some sort of strawman parody of radical feminism, sorry. If Git's central data structures are "patriarchal" then so is the entire concept of published work.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hrrrm it's almost as if a lot of things we take for granted are partriarchal

hrrrrm

hrrrrrrrmery

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm sure somebody could make an argument that the observed phenomenon of mass-energy conservation is an instrument of the patriarchy if you tried hard enough

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
u dont have 2 change ur name when u marry, folks

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr Dog posted:

I'm sure somebody could make an argument that the observed phenomenon of mass-energy conservation is an instrument of the patriarchy if you tried hard enough

possibly but it's a lot easier to demonize feminism when it challenges things we accept as "normal" or, even more likely, benefit us directly

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

Whatever you say, Mr Dog.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

new published study says target temperature for office buildings should be 75F because the current 70 deg. standard was set for men wearing wool suits

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Beast of Bourbon posted:

quote:

Uber Technologies Inc. is telling prospective investors that it generates $470 million in operating losses on $415 million in revenue, according to a document provided to prospective investors.

The term sheet viewed by Bloomberg News, which is being used to sell $1 billion to $1.2 billion in convertible bonds, doesn’t make clear the time period for those results. The document also touts 300 percent year-over-year growth.

The figures show the heavy losses that Uber is accruing as it expands its global car-booking operation amid fierce local competition. Uber is already operating in more than 300 cities worldwide and is raising money at a $50 billion valuation, a person familiar with the situation said last month. Uber is spending aggressively especially in China and as it experiments with its carpooling service uberPOOL.

“These are substantially old numbers that do not reflect business activities today,” Uber spokeswoman Nairi Hourdajian said in an e-mail. Hourdajian declined to say why the numbers are being used to promote a current funding round.

sign up incentives for drivers ("make an extra 5000$ after three months if you fulfill X condition"), coupons for customers, lobbyists, driver recruitment efforts (they'll do things like hail a lyft and try to talk the driver into switching to uber), eating the cost of fines in cities that are cracking down

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

i don't know anything about git but why is changing the author name a problem? shouldn't everyone have a numeric id or something and then a display name that can be changed at will? did the author(s) of git really think that no one would ever want to change their name?

just about the only thing i know about git is that it's a decentralized source control system made by the linux developers specially for open source projects to free developers from the tyranny of centralized databases and linear workflows and having to pay for source control systems but that should be enough to get the alarm bells ringing

Beast of Bourbon posted:

they pay any fines or penalties that drivers accrue for driving in places where uber is illegal, and they also hand out tons of free ride deals, fare cuts, and other marketing things. they spend all their money on bringing in more users so investors will give them more money. they could probably be profitable if they wanted, but constantly pumping usage numbers for investor storytime is way more lucrative than just being profitable normally

Apr 7, 2003

"those numbers you read that were bad? yeah, those were just really old numbers that we're using to beg for money from investors. pay no heed."

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Main Paineframe posted:

they pay any fines or penalties that drivers accrue for driving in places where uber is illegal, and they also hand out tons of free ride deals, fare cuts, and other marketing things. they spend all their money on bringing in more users so investors will give them more money. they could probably be profitable if they wanted, but constantly pumping usage numbers for investor storytime is way more lucrative than just being profitable normally

Works for Amazon :shrug:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mr Dog posted:

Anyway the original article reads like some sort of strawman parody of radical feminism, sorry. If Git's central data structures are "patriarchal" then so is the entire concept of published work.

what about the checkout cards at the back of library books

Apr 7, 2003

ayn rand hand job posted:

what about the checkout cards at the back of library books

🍑↔️👈

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-thrown-at-her/

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...c1f7_story.html

uber is basically a PAC for their employment model. lobbyists and lawyers cant be cheap.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
bein triggered by all these non engineers calling themselves engineered

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i guess three of them are actually engineers?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah there needs to be a pretty sharp backlash against programmers calling themselves engineers

engineers actually make things

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its kind of a lost battle for licensed engineers though

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Stymie posted:

possibly but it's a lot easier to demonize feminism when it challenges things we accept as "normal" or, even more likely, benefit us directly

#giveyourmoneytowomen

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hobbesmaster posted:

its kind of a lost battle for licensed engineers though

closest i could see is banning the "engineer" title for any field that doesn't have a PE exam

but that wouldn't exclude software engineers

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

depends on the breadth of the term software engineer

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

hobbesmaster posted:

depends on the breadth of the software engineer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

depends on the breadth of the term software engineer

It all started when a “self-taught engineer, extreme introvert, science-nerd, anime-lover, college dropout” wrote that she was tired of stereotypes.

Isis Wenger, a platform engineer in San Francisco, got talked into being one of a handful of colleagues featured in a hastily organized recruiting campaign for her company OneLogin, she wrote on Medium.

lmao @ everything in here

• Locked thread