Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Remember the fan nut is reverse threaded

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

rscott posted:

Remember the fan nut is reverse threaded

That would also be a good hint :v:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

so looks like im bringing home a clean e46 330i so i google around for prices on headers and all these posts come up about "$100 ebay headers!" and im like :stare:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
They aren't going to make the power of some of the $$$ solutions but they are better than stock.

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
I was robbed last night. Smash and grab, took my tools from the back of my wagon. The hosed up part is they smashed the hatch glass, which is basically impossible to track down. I called a dealer and they said it will cost $1000.

I've got another company saying they can get one from a salvage yard installed for $350. I also need to find a place to put my car because currently I'm traveling and don't have a garage I can put it in. I'm looking for ideas for both of these problems. Any info on replacing the hatch glass, which is basically impossible to find, would be great too. Thanks.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

^^^^e39 525i wagon?

I would think car-part.com?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

There's http://www.bmwpnpc.com/ too.

Ended up saving something like ~$300 on a big loving maintenance purchase recently using a spergy spreadsheet and these things. BMWPNPC also lets you shift-right click on highlighted parts numbers in other programs and start a search automatically. It's a great tool.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 2, 2015

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Couldn't get the screwdriver trick to work. Ended up making a tool out of a piece of 20ga mild steel, a grinder, and a drill press.

It was a single-use tool.

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...

angryrobots posted:

^^^^e39 525i wagon?

I would think car-part.com?

Yep. Looking on carpart right now, looks like the nearest thing is 90 miles away. Bummer.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Couldn't get the screwdriver trick to work. Ended up making a tool out of a piece of 20ga mild steel, a grinder, and a drill press.

It was a single-use tool.

That's what I did too. :)

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

How long have BMWs had secret 12V outlets under the glovebox? If I had this in my E46 M and didn't know I'm going to feel very silly for having to deal with my V1's cord flopping all over the center console for 4 years.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

How long have BMWs had secret 12V outlets under the glovebox? If I had this in my E46 M and didn't know I'm going to feel very silly for having to deal with my V1's cord flopping all over the center console for 4 years.

There's an easy-to-access plug under my glovebox that's used to recharge the included courtesy fuse flashlight, and I've got a 2000, with that feature introduced in 1998. So a while.

I'm still doing this timing chain guide thing because the guy who owns the lift had a family emergency and had to go. I'll be back at it Tuesday morning. I left the car with a 36" breaker bar on the crankshaft pulley bolt. I've got the TDC pin in the flywheel. Is that pin sufficient to stop motor rotation while pulling off this bolt? The "this kit includes everything" kit didn't come with the fan wrench, so is there another special holding tool for the crankshaft hub that I should try to track down?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Is the car auto or manual?
If manual, put it in 5th gear and lower it back on the ground.

If auto, I have no idea on the strength of the holding pin or parking pall, and would be afraid of testing either.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

mafoose posted:

Is the car auto or manual?
If manual, put it in 5th gear and lower it back on the ground.

If auto, I have no idea on the strength of the holding pin or parking pall, and would be afraid of testing either.

Auto. It's chocked on a lift in park with the e-brake on. It's also got both of the camshaft positioners in place. If something moves, it's going to lunch a bunch of parts.

I got a piece of 2" angle iron and am going to make a holding tool. I've got a grinder and a welder available. Nothing is impossible.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I don't know if I should admit this, dunno if it was smart or stupid, but this was my redneck solution to your problem on my 2uz Toyota.

I cut up an old serpentine belt to go in between the chain vice grip, to protect the pulley. Vice grip is resting on jack stand.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy
in case anyone's wondering about real-world current gen 328i mileage, I just averaged 36mpg over a 6-hour round trip to Boston with a heavy passenger & doing between 75-85mph. With less speed, less weight and less traffic I bet you could get 40mpg easy.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
No inline six, no care :colbert:

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

BraveUlysses posted:

No inline six, no care :colbert:

I scoffed too until I had to drive them a bunch. The 6 makes all the right noises but the 4's certainly not a boat anchor.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
The e46 328i is a 4 cylinder?
Mind blown!

Respectable mileage though. I'm at 22 highway with the ac going on the e28. The m3 pretty much sits at 17 but I drive it like a jerk, and the e24 has a busted odometer.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Pierced Bronson posted:

in case anyone's wondering about real-world current gen 328i mileage, I just averaged 36mpg over a 6-hour round trip to Boston with a heavy passenger & doing between 75-85mph. With less speed, less weight and less traffic I bet you could get 40mpg easy.

That engine is literally the only redeeming quality in the F3x cars.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

mafoose posted:

Mind blown!

Most definitely not. He's talking about the F30 with the (actually quite good) MURDERING THE LEGENDARY NA STRAIGHT SIX RARRGHH N20 engine

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

mafoose posted:

F30, not E46.

E: beaten

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MrChips posted:

I get that the interior bits are lacking but it's the Fx 3-Series that bad?

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

MrChips posted:

I've actually grown to kind of like them. I'll concede they're a bit more of an appliance than ultimate driving machine, but they're very easy to drive, the latest iteration of iDrive/nav is fluid and very decent, and they have a good stereo. At least, they're perfect for a trip to Boston and back.

also they don't complain at all when you want to see 120mph :v:

Pierced Bronson fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 4, 2015

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Tab8715 posted:

I've borrowed a couple from my dealer, I had no complaints. Though my 540i is quicker, they were no slouch and had some cool tech. I don't think I'd want to own one outside of warranty though.

Vessel From Denny
Nov 20, 2007
I've been looking for a good e30 for months and recently a 1992 325ic with 43k miles showed up in my area. Car looks pretty mint in the pictures and they are asking $6500. Is there anything I should be wary of when going to check it out? I figure it will at least need a new suspension after sitting so long and the timing belt change is just around the corner. Should I go for it?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

You specifically looking for a convertible?

Vessel From Denny
Nov 20, 2007
Not necessarily but its the nicest one ive seen in awhile. Ad says they just put a new top on it as well.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Tab8715 posted:

Just a matter of personal opinion, but I don't like the way they look, I don't like the way they ride, I don't like the steering feel (or lack thereof to be precise), I don't like the interior very much and while I like the performance of the engine lineup I don't like the way they sound.

I also don't like how (at least in Canada) the price went up a lot too.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
The E9x 3 series was kind of the Simpsons Season 9 of the 3 series. Still great, but you can see the cracks definitely forming.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Tie rods, suggest a brand to me for an e46

Febi , Delphi, lemforder, meyle?

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

MrChips posted:

Just a matter of personal opinion, but I don't like the way they look, I don't like the way they ride, I don't like the steering feel (or lack thereof to be precise), I don't like the interior very much and while I like the performance of the engine lineup I don't like the way they sound.

I also don't like how (at least in Canada) the price went up a lot too.

I had one as a loaner last year (I have an E90 328xi) and I hated it. Enough I had to rant to my brother about it.

quote:

They also had a clusterfuck with their in-house Enterprise rentals, so I ended up with a 2013 328Xi with the eco-drive or whatever option as a loaner. It sucked. It rode like poo poo because it was on 18" or 19" rims, the turbo was uninspiring, and the 8-speed automatic was never in the right gear. "Sport" mode helped a little, but not a ton, and the "shiftable automatic" mode was just as terrible as it was 10+ years ago. I tried it for a total of about 5 shifts and then just dumped it back into D. Steering was even worse than mine - big on-center dead spot and no feel, just friction to add weight. It also annoyed the gently caress out of me when coming to a stop because it was impossible to do smoothly with the transmission randomly downshifting.

Also, amazingly annoying... I was trying to back into my spot at work, and since it was a new car and the mirrors weren't quite right I tried to back it up with the driver's door open so I could just watch the parking line on my side. Car won't move that way. You can open the door and put it in reverse, but the minute you take your foot off the brake it shifts back into park.

Overall, having driven that I am loving amazed at the number of BMWs I see on the road. People must be really loving stupid.

They might be better with a manual, but chances are that this is the last BMW I'm going to own (except for bikes).

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
E60 will be the newest 5 I will ever own.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Finally got the whole front of the motor off on this (now multi-day) timing chain guide thing. I had a guy hold the flywheel with a prybar wedged against the subframe, then used a 70" cheater bar from under the car to take the crank bolt off. That was a great time. The lower chain case is held in by bolts coming up through the bottom, so the oil pan comes off, too! I love it. Thankfully, I ordered that gasket.

The gaskets that didn't show up were: lower chain case and alternator o-ring. No biggie. The big deal was that the oil separator broke :( . We called the dealer, and the old version is crappy and falls apart at one of the elbows (yup). There's a "new kit" that requires replacment of a half-dozen hoses and the dipstick that they'll sell to me for $200 (dipstick included). Amm, no. Guy calls his wholesale parts people as I'm using realoem.com to find part numbers. All three parts delivered by tomorrow morning for <$100. Worth it. Once that stupid stupid oil separator is here, I'm ready to put everything together. I'm only 8.5 hours into a 24-hour(book) job, and halfway done!

I also found timing chain guide bits in the lower oil pan when I took it out. My timing was good.

note: it's absolutely terrifying taking off the timing chain. There are pins and blocks and tons of stuff preventing the timing from skipping, but STILL. I marked the chain in three spots with white-out so it goes back on tooth-for-tooth.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Sinestro posted:

The E9x 3 series was kind of the Simpsons Season 9 of the 3 series. Still great, but you can see the cracks definitely forming.

Am I crazy or do E9x interiors seem kind of cheap compared to E46 interiors (which aren't exactly bastions of quality themselves)? I was cross shopping with '09-10ish E92s when I bought my ZHP and even the friend I had with me for a couple of test drives was kind of taken aback at the difference in interior feel. Still liked the cars a lot, though.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Paradoxish posted:

Am I crazy or do E9x interiors seem kind of cheap compared to E46 interiors (which aren't exactly bastions of quality themselves)? I was cross shopping with '09-10ish E92s when I bought my ZHP and even the friend I had with me for a couple of test drives was kind of taken aback at the difference in interior feel. Still liked the cars a lot, though.

The e36 interior may actually be constructed the most poorly of any BMW but goddamn if it still doesn't look the best.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Tie rods, suggest a brand to me for an e46

Febi , Delphi, lemforder, meyle?

Lemforder are fine I think they might even be the oem supplier

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

Am I crazy or do E9x interiors seem kind of cheap compared to E46 interiors (which aren't exactly bastions of quality themselves)?

Not crazy at all, I think my LCI E46 coupe interior looks and feels much nicer than anything E90 or later.

Seems like all new cars except for the highest of high end luxury cars use cheap lovely materials on everything nowadays, especially for dashes and doors. Even going and sitting in a brand new 50k+ 5 series feels cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Vessel From Denny posted:

I've been looking for a good e30 for months and recently a 1992 325ic with 43k miles showed up in my area. Car looks pretty mint in the pictures and they are asking $6500. Is there anything I should be wary of when going to check it out? I figure it will at least need a new suspension after sitting so long and the timing belt change is just around the corner. Should I go for it?
Strange question but is this in the South East, red and come with a factory hard top? About 10 minutes before you posted I got a call from a friend with a lead on a 325ic 40-something thousand miles on it and was going to get more info on it.

Either way timing belt, rear subframe bushings then check all the bushings and replace what looks dry rotted. Either way would be a pretty nice little car.