Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
Help the goalposts moved again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Slavvy posted:

How can you be racist against white people?
You just gave us a clear-cut example in your first sentence, lad. You tell me.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Everybody has racism down to a fine art my friend.

Ain't the human race grand?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

You just gave us a clear-cut example in your first sentence, lad. You tell me.

Maybe I'm missing something here? How is that racism? Dutch isn't a race (yes, I know 'race' isn't actually a thing, shut the gently caress up), it's a nationality. I realise that racism is fundamentally illogical and retarded but I always thought it was about some vaguely defined idea of biology as opposed to national origin; a way of justifying why you hate someone for their looks, as opposed to their flag.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Maybe I'm missing something here? How is that racism? Dutch isn't a race, it's a nationality. I realise that racism is fundamentally illogical and retarded but I always thought it was about some vaguely defined idea of biology as opposed to national origin; a way of justifying why you hate someone for their looks, as opposed to their flag.
You're right in some sense — it is about (illusory) classes of biology rather than national origin. But what passes for White isn't consistent. Jews weren't white, Irish weren't white, Italians weren't white, sometimes Catholics weren't white, the Spanish weren't white... The lines of demarcation shift over time with who exactly has hegemonic power (Just WASPs? Just the English? Just the British Empire? Just Europeans against barbarous Natives?), and who exactly it's politically useful to label as Other.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

All the Japanese newspapers are blaming NZ for shutting down the TPP talks with "unrealistic" demands over dairy, and the sentiment is pretty much the same in Canada. It's weird to see the difference between this and the general feeling in NZ, which seems to be concern the govt is going to roll over and sell the country down the river. I'm told the Japanese economy minister and Tim Groser basically had a shouting match in the negotiations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Tim Groser is a vain idiot & a former Trotskyite.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Race merely meant a national origin/identity until capital W Whites started arguing that people from other nations were inferior and used it to establish a Science of the Inferior Races; those marked with the Murderous Hook Nose, Untrustworthy Brows, Night Skins and the Barely Human Irish. Granted, that change was hundreds of years ago, but it's been in use informally in that original sense by people down to today simply for lack of a better word.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Maybe I'm missing something here? How is that racism? Dutch isn't a race (yes, I know 'race' isn't actually a thing, shut the gently caress up), it's a nationality. I realise that racism is fundamentally illogical and retarded but I always thought it was about some vaguely defined idea of biology as opposed to national origin; a way of justifying why you hate someone for their looks, as opposed to their flag.

Even most neonazis don't talk about biological race anymore, they're all about how different 'cultures' can't coexist.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Discrimination doesn't count if they look like this! They are literally undeserving of rights through the basis of their birth!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

fong posted:

All the Japanese newspapers are blaming NZ for shutting down the TPP talks with "unrealistic" demands over dairy, and the sentiment is pretty much the same in Canada. It's weird to see the difference between this and the general feeling in NZ, which seems to be concern the govt is going to roll over and sell the country down the river. I'm told the Japanese economy minister and Tim Groser basically had a shouting match in the negotiations.
It's not really that different, it's just a matter of perspective.

Our demands are unreasonable to those countries because we are not a big player and have nothing to offer in return for those demands being met except remaining at the table. We're worried the government will cede on those demands because greater access for dairy is literally the only carrot in the deal for us - everything else is stick that we might end up suffering simply because the government has so much ideological capital invested in free trade at all costs.

That "negotiation" has progressed to shouting is a pretty good sign for both sides.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Maybe, just maybe, there's a basic problem with trying to have a single overarching international agreement on trade that covers many totally different industries?

Weird I know!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

:monocle:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

fong posted:

Please keep in mind that the ruling LDP has basically clamped down on the press there, and they're being pressured into repeating the party line. In all likelihood, the newspapers there are being told to write the poo poo that they're writing.

This was done more or less under cover (how can the press bring people's attention to it, if they're not able to report on it?) until Shigeaki Koga, a veteran pundit, basically took advantage of the nature of a day-time talk show being broadcast live to tell Abe and the network he was on to go gently caress themselves on his last day on the job after the TV network had caved to government pressure to fire him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/27/world/asia/in-japan-bid-to-stifle-media-is-working.html?_r=1

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Exclamation Marx posted:

Tim Groser is a vain idiot & a former Trotskyite.

Actually I think you'll find that it's spelt Troskey and they're available for gigs.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
#nofilter

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Please keep in mind that the ruling LDP has basically clamped down on the press there, and they're being pressured into repeating the party line. In all likelihood, the newspapers there are being told to write the poo poo that they're writing.

This was done more or less under cover (how can the press bring people's attention to it, if they're not able to report on it?) until Shigeaki Koga, a veteran pundit, basically took advantage of the nature of a day-time talk show being broadcast live to tell Abe and the network he was on to go gently caress themselves on his last day on the job after the TV network had caved to government pressure to fire him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/27/world/asia/in-japan-bid-to-stifle-media-is-working.html?_r=1

oh I fully realise how the japanese media works. It's less that the govt is clamped down on them and more that reporters are attached to specific politicians, so they have a vested interest in maintaining a relationship with that politician, and also in seeing them succeed. They function more as mouthpieces than as critical or expositional writers

Its obvious that NZ are being scapegoated for the failure, the media here in Japan are suggesting that NZ's demands on dairy were "last minute" which is bs. In fact when Japan joined they agreed to the principles of the agreement which included total removal of agricultural tariffs, and they've pushed that way back since.

just find it interesting to see an outsider perspective

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

it's beautiful

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Ok, I'll concede that at some point some people were racist against white people. But I don't believe that's an issue in NZ today that even approaches the scale and breadth of racism against non-whites, which was my original point in saying that people crywanking about culture being forced on them are just raging racists.

On a purely objective rational logical level, racism happens towards everyone. It's just that it largely (probably 90-95% of the time) happens from Whites to Non-Whites, and a lot of the racism towards Whites is fairly minor stuff like namecalling, vs the systemic socio-economic problems facing the "lower income earners" who are disproportionately Maori or Polynesian.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Binkenstein posted:

It's just that it largely (probably 90-95% of the time) happens from Whites to Non-Whites

Most of Asia would disagree with you

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

A beer to whomever redtexted you.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight posted:

A beer to whomever redtexted you.

Better than my old avatar lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wear that poo poo in your face with pride

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

poo poo wrong thread

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Ah screw it.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:( I sorry

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
ohh, we got colin's pamphlet in the mail today. exciting!

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Cumslut1895 posted:

Most of Asia would disagree with you

Hes clearly talking about in NZ

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

focal ischemia posted:

Same, I was lucky I spotted it stuffed in the middle of the Warehouse Stationery booklet.

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

focal ischemia posted:

It must be weird af getting this pamphlet - if you are like the broad masses who pay little attention to 'nuzilland politics' or the Herald at least - and all you really takeaway from it is that this guy is really vigorously saying he didn't sext a lady and that these jerks are smearing him and you think well maybe they are jerks but all Ive got put into in my head is you and sexting from now on

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I got it today too. My first thought was like, poo poo, this guy cares about what I think about him, so fuckin much

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

All I can think of is my mum calling his office building in Albany that she drives by every day "that gaudy loving love hotel."

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Let's not forget this gem:

"MP's 'Wogistan' rant a mistake - Peters"

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/8293008/MPs-Wogistan-rant-a-mistake-Peters

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

focal ischemia posted:

I got one yesterday, and I clearly have a "No Junk Mail" sign on my letterbox.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Binkenstein posted:

I got one yesterday, and I clearly have a "No Junk Mail" sign on my letterbox.

Careful, calling Colin's pamphlet junk mail is likely cause for a libel case being brought against you.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Can we all mail it back to him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emminou
May 25, 2006

• Locked thread