Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Gologle posted:

Nobody in this thread is going to play FFXV

lol what? I get the point you are trying to make but this is a silly generalization.

I am pretty pumped for XV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

The Tidus ending isn't that bad, and I don't think it undermines the message.

For one thing, Tidus says himself that he doesn't know how long he has. He might vanish again, he might not.

For another, their relationship is a lot different from FFX. She can tease Tidus, joke with him - she isn't crying at the thought of losing him or losing herself, like she was in FFX.

Also he isn't Tidus, he is a horrifying fake Tidus who doesn't really exist and Yuna realized that, broke up with him and started a death cult.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
If those assholes at Square don't add in a new Hildy questline for Heavensward I swear I'll be very upset

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Calaveron posted:

If those assholes at Square don't add in a new Hildy questline for Heavensward I swear I'll be very upset

Hell I'll :toxx: myself right now, ban me from the forums if they don't do something with him before the next expansion

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FFX-2 music post with no 1000 Words...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Calaveron posted:

Hildy is coming back for 3.1

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

In Training posted:

everyone loves 1000 words, i don't need to post it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I will though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA4lfktT9BQ

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I just can't tell if the LR love is ironic or not. I can only assume the love is based entirely on the combat system and the fans just ignore everything else. Well, maybe they factor in the soundtrack.

I guess I'll find out later this week.

I hated XIII-2 and thought LR was great. Can't wait to play it again on PC

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
1000 Words is actually legit, one of the best Final Fantasy themes ever.

But words could never fool me, Beef Waifu, not so easily.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qh0pD_udJk

Seriously though most of the music in this game is awesome and it does a good job of distinguishing itself from the rest of the series.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In Training posted:

X-2 has some good music, as to be expected of an FF soundtrack, but I thought on the whole it was lacking compared to other games in the series. 1000 Words however, as well as Eternity - Memories of Lightwaves, are some of the best songs in the franchise.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The theme of FFXIV is that gods are okay when they're vaguely inspirational notions but if you start acting like they're real and let them tell you what to do then the difference between a god and a demon becomes very small.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Rand Brittain posted:

The theme of FFXIV is that gods are okay when they're vaguely inspirational notions but if you start acting like they're real and let them tell you what to do then the difference between a god and a demon becomes very small.

no the theme of ffxiv is that you must become a god yourself so that you can dictate/save the fate of the world

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

CottonWolf posted:

I definitely think X2 has the best gameplay of the series, but the music? Literally the only tracks I can think of from it are the song from the start and Memory of Lightwaves.

I have PTSD about the horrible chocobo music. Also, I couldn't stand the music on the airship, which is like your main base of operations. My priority #1 was always to get off the ship as quickly as possible. I guess some of the music was OK, but maaan, I despised the stuff I didn't like more than I liked the rest.

X-2 had some fun gameplay, but it had a lot of issues. You actually did relatively little actual fighting because 90% of the gameplay was weird terrible minigames, or world-spanning quests to talk to everyone and completely guess at which of 3 options you should pick because gently caress You, Buy Our Guide. Punishing you for skipping cutscenes is dumb. Hell, the whole completion percentage requirements are dumb in general. Subjectively, I found the "kooky" Charlie's Angels angle to feel really forced and fall totally flat, rather than being "fun and zany." The pacing is awful. Absolutely nothing happens for like the first 3 chapters of a 5-chapter game, then they remembered "oh yeah, we need a plot." There's a chapter devoted entirely to watching CCTV monitors, most of which contain almost nothing of interest.

But I agree the messages of the game were all great. Like how you can solve all disagreements in the world by going to a j-pop concert (held in the most dangerous place on the planet, for some reason!). Way to take a serious look at political and religious differences, people's desperation to cling to social structures they know rather than forging a new path, zealotry, and similar issues. Fuckin' pop-concert, problem solved.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Schwartzcough posted:

But I agree the messages of the game were all great. Like how you can solve all disagreements in the world by going to a j-pop concert (held in the most dangerous place on the planet, for some reason!). Way to take a serious look at political and religious differences, people's desperation to cling to social structures they know rather than forging a new path, zealotry, and similar issues. Fuckin' pop-concert, problem solved.

It's a pop concert put on by the world's savior that's meant to inform everyone that there's something much worse than either of them lurking right under their noses and they need to quit fighting and work together to stop it, a message communicated by way of terrifying images of the thing being activated.

Like, I get it, "war ended via pop song" sounds stupid when you say it like that, but there's a lot more going on there. Like I disagree with most of what you said in your post so it shouldn't come as a surprise, but it's important to recognize the context of the situation.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The plot actually gets established as early as the first airship ride and the crimson spheres.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a j-pop song is more likely to solve serious political issues than punching someone completely unrelated

how did the war in FF9 end? 'uh, i guess we'll all just go home now.'

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Endorph posted:

a j-pop song is more likely to solve serious political issues than punching someone completely unrelated

Alexandria got decimated.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I never got all the Crimson Spheres. What was the point with those

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

All political issues can be solved with three minutes clapping.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

fronz posted:

I never got all the Crimson Spheres. What was the point with those

They unlock the Den of Woe, which gives you some important story background and a string of boss fights.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That isn't actually just three straight minutes of just clapping.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

The people behind the war all died.

Which is how most FF games are resolved, and it's also how X-2 was resolved as well. Because people need their exciting finish.

It reminds me how the original ending for Rocky V was going to be where Rocky actually talks Tommy Gunn down. He helps him realize he's being played and the two re-establish their relationship. But that's boring so in the actual ending Rocky just beat the poo poo out of him. Problem solved. Except not.

That's more or less the FF series in a nutshell I think. Which is part of why I like X-2. Killing Sin didn't magically make everything okay. Taking down a theocracy that has ruled for a thousand years is probably going to cause some problems and, look, it did. Good on you, X-2.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 4, 2015

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Truga posted:

Hildy is coming back for 3.1

Then if a treaty blade flying mount isn't the end reward I'll be super upset

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

All of the characters in FFX get a lot more talkative during battle once you get the airship. They have something to say almost every battle now.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

n/m

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well

Armitage posted:

still think the chocobo racing one is pretty dang stupid and should have been adjusted in the remaster

How is there not a cheat for this stuff? I just wanna bash Dark Aeons. Not waste hours of my life giving myself carpal tunnel in my thumbs.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

pretend to care posted:

How is there not a cheat for this stuff? I just wanna bash Dark Aeons. Not waste hours of my life giving myself carpal tunnel in my thumbs.

Between having to hope for proper balloon placement and hoping the chocobo itself wouldn't screw with you near the end, I'd rather do the lightning dodging minigame blindfolded.

I actually would not be surprised if someone pulled it off.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Armitage posted:

Between having to hope for proper balloon placement and hoping the chocobo itself wouldn't screw with you near the end, I'd rather do the lightning dodging minigame blindfolded.

I actually would not be surprised if someone pulled it off.

Man...not me. Lightning dodging is far more annoying than the chocobo race. The real key to the race is figuring out how to accurately control the chocobo which is dumb and hard to figure out but once you do it gets a lot easier. Beyond that, it is understanding that you have to stay in front during that first downhill ramp. The only other tip I can offer is that during the bird phase they will switch between targeting you and targeting your opponent (I think this happens every 2 sets of birds?). Not only does that help you avoid the birds that target your opponent but you can sometimes force the birds that target you to hit him instead.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
With the lightning dodging you can cheese it by running in that spot that always causes lightning, it is actually really easy to do.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the problem with the x2 story/ending is merely that it's predicated upon the ffx1 story and thus the idea that we're supposed to think cool rear end-kicking noble hero yuna would fall for snarky yelly dorkhog tidus which they never manage to convince us of and indeed barely even try. it's just like, cool bittersweet vibes, wow sacrifice themes, ok tidus is a fukken nerd but I guess it's nice enough he doesn't actively want yuna to die. oh ok now she like is in love with him I guess??????? fial

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yuna wasn't a cool rear end-kicking noble hero in ffx

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Terper posted:

All political issues can be solved with three minutes clapping.

I know you're talking about TWEWY, but I now want The New Day as the next FF party.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
the worst mini game in FFX was the butterfly one.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

I dunno sacrificing yourself to save the world is p noble and she was my strongest character by far so that is cool in my book

anyway they spend way more time on like wakka's arc with rikku and the al bhed than they do trying to get tidus+yuna over. or at least the time spent is considerably more effective

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

epitasis posted:

I dunno sacrificing yourself to save the world is p noble and she was my strongest character by far so that is cool in my book

anyway they spend way more time on like wakka's arc with rikku and the al bhed than they do trying to get tidus+yuna over. or at least the time spent is considerably more effective

Really? I think they do a good job of setting up two teens that care for each other over the course of a journey. There aren't any bold (almost melodramatic) declarations of love a la FFVIII/IX, but I think the development was just fine.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Endorph posted:

She was plenty noble. She just wasn't Charlie's Angels style of kick rear end with a bucket of cheese like she was in X-2. I like X-2 but I like X more.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

Really? I think they do a good job of setting up two teens that care for each other over the course of a journey. There aren't any bold (almost melodramatic) declarations of love a la FFVIII/IX, but I think the development was just fine.

I mean. they have scenes together. the one looking out at the broken arch thing, the terrible laughing scene, the one in the water. so those things happen. they are in close physical proximity to one another, this is much is true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

mostly I think the game is actually really good except fuckin Tidus