Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Meowenstein posted:

Not really. It's just MGP rye. If you want something similar for less money then maybe try George Dickel Rye or Bulleit Rye.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Also it just plain isn't that good.
I had heard about the whole marketing fiasco but these responses are where the rubber hits the road for me. I do also like Bulleit rye quite a bit so I won't bother trying Templeton just for it's own sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Kenny Logins posted:

Is Templeton Rye worth trying at what amounts to $41 USD if I'm pretty content with Rittenhouse at roughly $32 USD?

Templeton isn't horrible, but IMHO Rittenhouse is just the best value for money rye there is. Worth trying? Meh...I guess if you want to see why everyone prefers Rittenhouse.

2DCAT fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 4, 2015

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
So I just completed the entire bourbon trail (plus Buffalo Trace, which isn't on the trail anymore). Overall, despite a lot of it feeling like a big marketing ploy and tourist-trap stuff, it was really fun. Oddly enough, I think my favorite stop on the whole trip was Copper and Kings - a fairly new American Brandy distillery. We ended up buying two of their bottles.

Highlights: Four Roses Warehouse and Bottling Tour, Buffalo Trace, Gorgeous Woodford Reserve Distillery\Campus

Lowlights: 2 hour long (boring) Bulliet tour

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
[double post]

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

NightConqueror posted:

Lowlights: 2 hour long (boring) Bulliet tour

Wow, what the hell could they say for 2 hours? "Our bourbon comes from Four Roses and we add stuff to it, our rye comes from MGP. We bottle it. Please sit quietly for the next hour and fifty nine minutes."

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Nth Doctor posted:

My favorite weekend of the year.

Trip report: three of the whiskies were great. The Jameson 18 and Redbreast both seemed hot (it was a hot day) and oily. It was pretty off-putting.

Also the woman presenting the tasting was some rep from the local distributor and was abjectly horrible. She seemed to be reading the first sentence of each paragraph of the wikipedia page on Irish whiskey or some drat thing. In previous years, we've had actual master distillers giving the talk. I had technical questions and everything all ready to go.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Has anyone tried Yellow Spot? My local shop just got some in and though I love Green Spot it's a little too expensive to blind buy. Can anyone describe it?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Booyah- posted:

Has anyone tried Yellow Spot? My local shop just got some in and though I love Green Spot it's a little too expensive to blind buy. Can anyone describe it?

It's good but I don't think it's worth the price hike and actually prefer the Green over the Yellow.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

spankmeister posted:

It's good but I don't think it's worth the price hike and actually prefer the Green over the Yellow.

I actually had some this weekend and I agree with this. It's very nice but if you're a fan of the Green spot already I don't know that it's worth the price. I liked it but if I was buying more expensive Irish Whisky I'd stick to Red Breast 12.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

2DCAT posted:

Templeton isn't horrible, but IMHO Rittenhouse is just the best value for money rye there is. Worth trying? Meh...I guess if you want to see why everyone prefers Rittenhouse.

Where do people generally rank Dickel rye against Rittenhouse? I wanted to try Rittenhouse since it's recommended a lot but my local liquor store didn't have it so I grabbed the Dickel instead, which I found to be pretty tasty, so no regrets.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

dphi posted:

Where do people generally rank Dickel rye against Rittenhouse? I wanted to try Rittenhouse since it's recommended a lot but my local liquor store didn't have it so I grabbed the Dickel instead, which I found to be pretty tasty, so no regrets.

Dickel rye is also from MGP. So it's good. MGP whiskey is generally decent to very, very good. For anyone who doesn't know, MGP is a distillery in Indiana that doesn't sell any of their product directly. Other companies buy from them, and bottle it, with varying degrees of honesty about where their whiskey comes from, and if they age it further or add anything to it. High West and Smooth Ambler are probably the most honest, and Templeton is shady all around.

Here's a fairly current list of what comes out of MGP, from the bourbonr blog.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

dphi posted:

IMHO Rittenhouse > Dickel by a long shot

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Big Bidness posted:

Dickel rye is also from MGP. So it's good. MGP whiskey is generally decent to very, very good. For anyone who doesn't know, MGP is a distillery in Indiana that doesn't sell any of their product directly. Other companies buy from them, and bottle it, with varying degrees of honesty about where their whiskey comes from, and if they age it further or add anything to it. High West and Smooth Ambler are probably the most honest, and Templeton is shady all around.

The only ones of those I've had were the Templeton and Bulleit and neither one impressed me.

Rittenhouse is definitely my go-to rye (Old Overholt when I'm on a tight budget).

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Sorry for skipping most of the thread, but I'm asking for a recommendation/advice. I'm picking up a bottle of Whistlepig Boss Hog for a friend, is this a good choice or is there a better rye for the same price out there?

For those in New England, anyone here tried Sons of Liberty whiskey? I came across it while searching whiskies.

Also can someone give me a brief run down on Pappy Van Winkle and why it's so vaunted? My coworker recommended it and looking it up is like wading through molasses. Thanks in advance!

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Big Grunty Secret posted:

For those in New England, anyone here tried Sons of Liberty whiskey? I came across it while searching whiskies.

I've visited the distillery and had a few bottles of their whiskey and vodka as well. I like it, it is very different than your typical scotch or bourbon, being an American single malt. Their gimmick is they distill their spirit from dark beer (stout and trippel I believe). I prefer the Uprising which I think is the stout version.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Also can someone give me a brief run down on Pappy Van Winkle and why it's so vaunted? My coworker recommended it and looking it up is like wading through molasses. Thanks in advance!

it's 23 years old, which makes it smoother and allows for more of the wood character to make it's way into the spirit, and the mouthfeel is distinctive and chewier than it's younger cousins. Basically, it was always kind of hard to find cause age, and some people who get paid to drink bourbon said it tastes good and that made it harder to find.

If you want to know what it's "like" try another wheated bourbon like WL Weller 12, Old Weller Antique 107, (same mashbill as pappy) and the mouthfeel of Willett Pot still reserve.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

it's 23 years old, which makes it smoother and allows for more of the wood character to make it's way into the spirit, and the mouthfeel is distinctive and chewier than it's younger cousins. Basically, it was always kind of hard to find cause age, and some people who get paid to drink bourbon said it tastes good and that made it harder to find.

If you want to know what it's "like" try another wheated bourbon like WL Weller 12, Old Weller Antique 107, (same mashbill as pappy) and the mouthfeel of Willett Pot still reserve.

And in fact, definitely try a Weller before trying to find and then paying a lot for Pappy. You might find that you don't really care for wheaters.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I wandered into a liquor store a few days ago and saw Pappy 23 for sale with a price of $1700 on it.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

And in fact, definitely try a Weller before trying to find and then paying a lot for Pappy. You might find that you don't really care for wheaters.

I'll take a Four Roses Single Barrel or Small Batch over OWA107, Makers, or Larceny any day - I'm hoping that the day that I eventually try Pappy, I'll feel the same about it

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I scored a bottle of Pappy 20 last year and have drank about half of it so far. I have a lot of other bourbons in my collection (high rye and wheat) and it is absolutely the best bourbon I have ever tasted. The mash bill is the same as the Weller bottles but they take the honey barrels and use them for Pappy. This makes a pretty significant difference in setting it apart from the other less expensive wheaters on the market.That being said, I would never buy it on the secondary market because the costs are ridiculous.

I think that you can get an idea of what it is like by trying the Weller's, but it is not close to being the same. If you can find it in a bar I would recommend trying some, but remember that it's basically all down hill from there.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

I had no idea so many bourbons were MGP; I thought rye was more their game. Also, I've never even heard of probably 3/4 of the whiskies in that image. What's a good non-MGP sipping rye? I love rittenhouse in cocktails and neat when it's cold out, but I'd love to pick up something a little less aggressive as well.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Big Bidness posted:

Wow, what the hell could they say for 2 hours? "Our bourbon comes from Four Roses and we add stuff to it, our rye comes from MGP. We bottle it. Please sit quietly for the next hour and fifty nine minutes."

Mostly talking about the old Stizel-Weller distillery they bought and are using as a museum\ aging facility. There is very little to no actual distilling going on there. They have a single experimental still they use from time to time, but it's basically dead.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Interesting how bourbon has become so popular. When I started this thread it was mostly Scotch chat. I can remember it going for pages and pages without any mention of American whiskeys.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Today is my birthday and my gf got me a bottle of Ardberg Corryvreckan.

That is all.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

An overrated, wheated bourbon devoid of most taste. BTAC are not only more available (yet still difficult), but all are significantly better.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I'll take a Four Roses Single Barrel or Small Batch over OWA107, Makers, or Larceny any day - I'm hoping that the day that I eventually try Pappy, I'll feel the same about it

What makes you like Four Roses over Buffalo Trace? I found the single barrel pretty similar, but with an extra $10 on the price tag.

door Door door posted:

I had no idea so many bourbons were MGP; I thought rye was more their game. Also, I've never even heard of probably 3/4 of the whiskies in that image. What's a good non-MGP sipping rye? I love rittenhouse in cocktails and neat when it's cold out, but I'd love to pick up something a little less aggressive as well.

Turkey 81 is tamer, I haven't had it in a while, though.

What's a good less sweet whiskey? I'd like to keep it in the $35 range at maximum, if possible.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What makes you like Four Roses over Buffalo Trace? I found the single barrel pretty similar, but with an extra $10 on the price tag.

I actually think the character of the small batch is closer to BT than the single barrel. They're actually quite different though. BT is a characteristic low-rye bourbon, 4R is high rye. The sweet/spiciness, mouthfeel, and finish are quite different between the three (that said, they're all Bourbon, so they are going to be similar regardless).
That said, I have a bottle of all 3 (along with Knob Creek 9, and OWA107, plus 2 private barrel selection 4Rs)

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Head up to Scotland next week for a bit of a tour, and then off the Fringe in Edinburgh. I've booked the following distillery tours: Dalwhinnie, Glenmorangie, Macallan. Quite excited about the Glenmorangie as it's my favourite and you get a taste of the Signet.

I'm also staying at "The Highlander Inn" in Craigellachie (how do you pronounce this?), which is pretty well known for it's Whisky menu and tastings. Here's their tasting menus: http://www.whiskyinn.com/_pdf/tastingmenus.pdf
They also offer a Whisky breakfast, which sounds like a pretty good idea to me. http://www.whiskyinn.com/whiskybreakfast.html

Best of all, wife has agreed to be Designated driver for the Distillery visits.

Slash fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 6, 2015

Man Yam
Aug 31, 2004
Pickle. No! You pickle!
Went to a Scotch tasting last night, very good and makes me wish I had some extra cash laying around:

1. Highland Park 18 - not my cup of Scotch, I was thinking a little too perfumey/floral for me, maybe it's the wood smoke?
2. Dalmore Cigar Malt - smooth, a hint of sweetness, very good, will pick one up today or tomorrow.
3. Lagavulin 18 - too peaty for me.
4. Balvenie 21 - very good, on my wish list
5. Glenmorangie 25 - ambrosia, now I need to rob a bank or something to get a case, or go back to the pub and pay $55 for a single glass.

If you are ever in Omaha, the Library Pub and owner Mark Smith is a great host for tastings. Fun speaker and very informative.

Zarkboy
Apr 11, 2006

Brimming with excitingly bad ideas.

Man Yam posted:

Went to a Scotch tasting last night, very good and makes me wish I had some extra cash laying around:

1. Highland Park 18 - not my cup of Scotch, I was thinking a little too perfumey/floral for me, maybe it's the wood smoke?
2. Dalmore Cigar Malt - smooth, a hint of sweetness, very good, will pick one up today or tomorrow.
3. Lagavulin 18 - too peaty for me.
4. Balvenie 21 - very good, on my wish list
5. Glenmorangie 25 - ambrosia, now I need to rob a bank or something to get a case, or go back to the pub and pay $55 for a single glass.

If you are ever in Omaha, the Library Pub and owner Mark Smith is a great host for tastings. Fun speaker and very informative.

Hey there, Omaha Buddy and fellow whisk(e)y geek! Agreed - the Library Pub is awesome, and probably the best place in Omaha for Scotch. But between there, Grane, Dundee Dell, and Spirit World, I think we're surprisingly fortunate!

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Big Bidness posted:

Thanks a lot for that. A friend is doing a whiskey tasting and i have been collecting ryes for that and have been trying to find a list for MGP whiskeys so that I do not buy redundant bottles.

Zarkboy
Apr 11, 2006

side_burned posted:

Thanks a lot for that. A friend is doing a whiskey tasting and i have been collecting ryes for that and have been trying to find a list for MGP whiskeys so that I do not buy redundant bottles.

I've been meaning to do the exact opposite, actually! I want to round up a bunch of MGP ryes to compare them. I'm interested in seeing what different NDPs do with ostensibly the same product. For instance, I think Bulleit, Smooth Ambler, and Angel's Envy Ryes are all unique experiences, despite starting as the "same" thing.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Zarkboy posted:

I've been meaning to do the exact opposite, actually! I want to round up a bunch of MGP ryes to compare them. I'm interested in seeing what different NDPs do with ostensibly the same product. For instance, I think Bulleit, Smooth Ambler, and Angel's Envy Ryes are all unique experiences, despite starting as the "same" thing.
The only problem I would have doing that is that the Angel's Envy rye is really over priced for what it is; but that could be said for pretty much everything Angel's Envy bottles.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Zarkboy posted:

Yeah, absolutely. I really like the SAOS and Angel's Envy Rye, and they are incredibly different. I probably wouldn't have even tried the Bulleit or AE rye had I not known they were MGP, because I'm not crazy about their respective bourbon.

Unfortunately the Smooth Ambler Old Scout Rye is discontinued. They ran out of their allotment from MGP, so every so often they'll do a limited release and even then it won't be cask strength. I do have a couple of bottles of the non CS 7 year rye I got last year for a steal, so I'll have to ration them a bit.

Zarkboy
Apr 11, 2006

Big Bidness posted:

Unfortunately the Smooth Ambler Old Scout Rye is discontinued. They ran out of their allotment from MGP, so every so often they'll do a limited release and even then it won't be cask strength. I do have a couple of bottles of the non CS 7 year rye I got last year for a steal, so I'll have to ration them a bit.

Yeah, I'm sad about SAOS Rye, too. I was hoping that the shortage would be a relatively short-term problem, but it doesn't look like that's going to be the case.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

side_burned posted:

The only problem I would have doing that is that the Angel's Envy rye is really over priced for what it is; but that could be said for pretty much everything Angel's Envy bottles.

Yeah that's an Angel's Envy thing, I would say. Lot of bourbon at the ~$40-50 range is overpriced for what it is.

Hell, I was kinda disappointed by the Bulleit 10 year. It lost a lot of the bitey character the younger bottling has, I think.

Zarkboy
Apr 11, 2006

Shugojin posted:

Yeah that's an Angel's Envy thing, I would say. Lot of bourbon at the ~$40-50 range is overpriced for what it is.

Hell, I was kinda disappointed by the Bulleit 10 year. It lost a lot of the bitey character the younger bottling has, I think.

I'll admit that Angel's Envy is probably overpriced for most of their stuff. That said, I absolutely love their rye, and it doesn't take much convincing for me to overpay by a bit. That's probably because I'm a sucker for rum finished whiskies, though (Teeling's is also awesome, by the way!)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just got a bottle of EH Taylor barrel strength. Gotta say, I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I add a bit of water just to cut some of the bite out of it. With a bit of water it tastes just like the 100 proof but gets me feeling good quicker.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Tried the Bulleit 10 year the other night. Considering how boring I consider their standard bottling I didn't have high hopes.

It is loving fantastic. The nose is vanilla and some dried fruit. The palate is a fruit explosion. Apricots and figs, a bit of peach, with solid, but not overwhelming, vanilla support to the whole thing. Really an impressive bourbon. One of the best bourbons I've tasted in a long time. BevMo has it for under $50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I'm actually a big fan of regular Bulleit, and imo the 10 is a really good version of it but not for the price over the usual.