Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I can book fast passes for myself a week in advance, unless I get a room reservation, which gives me 30 days. I can make fast passes for my guest passes on the MDE website but not the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Is Chef Mickey's like, really THAT popular? The girlfriend wants to go, and I haven't been since like 2000 so I tried to book it for Monday 9/21 at breakfast and there's absolutely nothing. Super odd.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Tim Whatley posted:

Is Chef Mickey's like, really THAT popular? The girlfriend wants to go, and I haven't been since like 2000 so I tried to book it for Monday 9/21 at breakfast and there's absolutely nothing. Super odd.

Yeah it's pretty popular. I'd keep checking though reservations open up all the time if I remember right.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Yes, it's extremely popular and not that great from what I understand. The brunch is good, I hear, but dinner and breakfast are hit and miss.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We did Dinner at Chef Mickeys and it was average buffet food at best. The draw is the characters though and that's why it's so busy. It's also not very large from what I remember.

We have no plans to go back on our next trip. Generally with Disney buffets I cut the price in half to account for the Disney characters being there. If half the price of the buffet is a decent deal for the quality of food served I'm happy. CM is borderline.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

That's kind of what I figured. I personally don't really think it's worth using one of my table services on.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

A good alternative to Chef Mickey is Cape May Cafe at Beach Club. It has a lot of the same characters, is rarely as busy, and has better food. Characters are only at breakfast, though.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Braksgirl posted:

A good alternative to Chef Mickey is Cape May Cafe at Beach Club. It has a lot of the same characters, is rarely as busy, and has better food. Characters are only at breakfast, though.

Not a bad idea. We're doing Beaches and Cream already. We do have Tusker House for dinner one night for our Character Dining fill. We have one table service left so I'm trying to figure out what to do.

Also, is there a way to just pay for my trip myself? I have until Aug 3, am ready to pay, and I haven't heard from my agent in like several weeks.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Unfortunately, no. She will have to handle all your payments for you. If you called Disney and complained enough they might be able to get something done, but they're not supposed to go over the agent's head. If she works for an agency (I mean, she's not the owner of the agency) you could write a Strongly Worded Email to her boss.

I'm still pretty mad at your agent for being such a flake.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Braksgirl posted:

Unfortunately, no. She will have to handle all your payments for you. If you called Disney and complained enough they might be able to get something done, but they're not supposed to go over the agent's head. If she works for an agency (I mean, she's not the owner of the agency) you could write a Strongly Worded Email to her boss.

I'm still pretty mad at your agent for being such a flake.

I thiiiink it's an agency but I also think he/she owns it. My buddy going with me paid the other day and said someone entirely different handled it.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
If you're not into characters, The Wave at Contemporary has a great breakfast buffet. Not sure what the lunch/dinner situation is, but it's spacious and our service was fantastic plus it's a short monorail jaunt to MK afterwords.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Dr. Benway posted:

If you're not into characters, The Wave at Contemporary has a great breakfast buffet. Not sure what the lunch/dinner situation is, but it's spacious and our service was fantastic plus it's a short monorail jaunt to MK afterwords.
I've heard very good things about Kona Cafe breakfast at the Polynesian, so I have a reservation there in September. No characters as far as I know.

Usually we just grab quick service breakfast and lunch so we can keep moving. Having a bunch of lunch reservations really breaks up the day too much. We made that mistake the first time we went - never again.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Dr. Benway posted:

I have heard nothing but great reviews about The Wave. I don't know why it gets overlooked so much. Everyone I know that's eaten there says the food is excellent.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So i've been putting off planning a trip because of being unsrue about if another person could come with me; she can't so it looks like i'm going solo this year. Should I even bother with messing around with vacation packages or can I reap benefits from traveling solo also?

Thanks guys :3

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WhiteHowler posted:

I've heard very good things about Kona Cafe breakfast at the Polynesian, so I have a reservation there in September. No characters as far as I know.

Usually we just grab quick service breakfast and lunch so we can keep moving. Having a bunch of lunch reservations really breaks up the day too much. We made that mistake the first time we went - never again.

If you don't mind missing out on characters, Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge is a good way to get a different kind of breakfast. It has all of your typical American items if you're not too adventurous, but it also has some African and African-style dishes like bobotie. I do recommend a reservation, as it tends to be packed.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Abu Dave posted:

So i've been putting off planning a trip because of being unsrue about if another person could come with me; she can't so it looks like i'm going solo this year. Should I even bother with messing around with vacation packages or can I reap benefits from traveling solo also?

Thanks guys :3

You can still do a package if you're solo. I mean, you'll presumably need lodging and tickets at the minimum, right? That's a package. If you're not into table service dining, you could still do quick service plan or just pay out of pocket. Up to you.

If you want help, PM me.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I literally cannot decide what to do. gently caress it, recommend me things for this one final goddamn table service. I've done Boma and enjoyed it quite a bit but we wanted to completely shake up our table services this year, only keeping Yak & Ohana (musts for our group) I have Park hopper etc, staying at Coronado.

Table Service Only. I'm open to a breakfast etc. Doesn't have to be on that second Thursday.

Thurs: Check in, Downtown Disney only day - Bongos Dinner
Fri: Spice Road Table Dinner
Sat: Yak & Yeti Lunch
Sun: Ohana Dinner
Monday: Sci Fi Dinner
Tues: Beaches and Cream Lunch, MNSSHP night
Weds: Tusker House Dinner
Thurs: Nothing, MK Dessert Party
Fri: Hop on a plane and cry

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Sanaa, Liberty Tree Tavern, Cape May, The Wave, Whispering Canyon?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Braksgirl posted:

You can still do a package if you're solo. I mean, you'll presumably need lodging and tickets at the minimum, right? That's a package. If you're not into table service dining, you could still do quick service plan or just pay out of pocket. Up to you.

If you want help, PM me.

Yeah not too big on table service dining. Do you have a e-mail by chance? Thanks for the help.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

You can send it to SSagona@MMVAgent . com

I had to add the spaces in because the board keeps wanting to make it a link and I feel weird about that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kona Cafe breakfast was pretty loving good. Will recommend.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MrYenko posted:

Kona Cafe breakfast was pretty loving good. Will recommend.

Kona Cafe in general was great when I went their fairly often. I haven't been back since the latest renovations, but I'm assuming it's still the same?

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Can someone explain the appeal of character meals to me? I know this sounds totally spergy as someone without children, but I see so many people totally into it and I just don't get it. I get it for kids, but why would you want some teenager in a sweaty rear end costume interrupting your super expensive (for what it is) meal? I love HP, but if Daniel Radcliffe himself came up to me while I was eating dinner, I'd tell him to get lost.

Edit: I seriously am not trying to bag on it by any means, or discourage anyone else from enjoying it, I just don't understand it.

Old Man Pants fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 30, 2015

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Old Man Pants posted:

Can someone explain the appeal of character meals to me? I know this sounds totally spergy as someone without children, but I see so many people totally into it and I just don't get it. I get it for kids, but why would you want some teenager in a sweaty rear end costume interrupting your super expensive (for what it is) meal? I love HP, but if Daniel Radcliffe himself came up to me while I was eating dinner, I'd tell him to get lost.

Edit: I seriously am not trying to bag on it by any means, or discourage anyone else from enjoying it, I just don't understand it.

I don't have kids either but I'd imagine a lot of people like it because it's a guaranteed way to get photo opps with a bunch of well known Disney characters without having to wait in long rear end lines to meet them individually. Since there's so many people, you can usually see them coming and they only stick around at your table for long enough to snap a photo or two. I usually just choose places based on food and if there's characters there, then that's cool.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

It's all about the characters. There are some characters that are hard to find outside of a character meal and if you want a pic with them, the meal is the easiest way to do that. If you're not into meeting characters then a character meal is not for you. If you can't get past thinking of a character as a "teenager in a sweaty rear end costume" then a character meal is not for you.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

We had Mickey, Pluto, and Dale come by for a table visit at Garden Grill. It was my friend, his wife, my girlfriend, and myself. It was a little odd, but then Dale knocked a glass of diet coke over.

And there was no handler.

And none of the restaurant staff seemed to notice. Or bring napkins.

And I could see Dale turning red even through the costume. It was hilarious.

For a table full of adults, I agree, character meals are a bit odd.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I still remember when my Dad and Chip had a "conversation" about football at a character breakfast. Dad was reading the sports page and Chip pointed to it, so Dad took the bait and asked him who his favorite team was. Chip picked up a crayon and wrote out "BILLS" on the newspaper, and when Dad expressed his condolences Chip wiped away "tears." It was a little surreal.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

I still remember when my Dad and Chip had a "conversation" about football at a character breakfast. Dad was reading the sports page and Chip pointed to it, so Dad took the bait and asked him who his favorite team was. Chip picked up a crayon and wrote out "BILLS" on the newspaper, and when Dad expressed his condolences Chip wiped away "tears." It was a little surreal.

I'm incredibly excited to wear my Free Brady shirt at Disney this year just to see if the characters do anything.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
IIRC Talking Mickey knows all the major American sports teams.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I am not ashamed by how much I adore Talking Mickey.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Talking Mickey owns bones and this new info means I'm gonna be a massive arrogant Pats fan right to him. Also is there any other talking characters in costume? I thought "Donaldo" at MK was but maybe not?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Mickey is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. There's Turtle Talk with Crush, but it's not exactly the same.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Mickey is definitely the only one that speaks who you can meet at WDW. Minnie has a talking version, too, but she's only in Disneyland that I'm aware of.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Braksgirl posted:

Other Good Stuff

Thank you! I was actually legitimately curious, and not trying to in anyway diss, but don't really know a lot of people into Disney enough to ask them.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Transportation Disney style-
Looking at the maps of the place, we are staying at French Quarter, should the bus to Epcot from there be fairly fast, since they are located next to each other? And should it be a better idea to go to Epcot and then take the monorail to MK as a faster method than just taking the bus? I figure the bus is the only way from FQ to AK, and it looks like the same to HS.
We aren't planning on renting a car, so I'm tracking out all the routes.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Mono from EC to MK is definitely more entertaining if anything. Now if they would connect the waterway from the Marketplace to EC that connects to HS.. golden.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
For reals - I've looked at the maps, I don't know why they don't do more ferry boat work - you could probably theme it and sell stuff and make all kinds of mouse monies.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anya posted:

Transportation Disney style-
Looking at the maps of the place, we are staying at French Quarter, should the bus to Epcot from there be fairly fast, since they are located next to each other? And should it be a better idea to go to Epcot and then take the monorail to MK as a faster method than just taking the bus? I figure the bus is the only way from FQ to AK, and it looks like the same to HS.
We aren't planning on renting a car, so I'm tracking out all the routes.

You're correct, the bus is the only viable way to Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios from there. Hollywood Studios and Epcot are both connected by boat, and Epcot and Magic Kingdom are connected by monorail. Animal Kingdom is the only park to be totally isolated from non-bus mass transit.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

What's the MSRP on the ballin Starbucks mugs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Tim Whatley posted:

What's the MSRP on the ballin Starbucks mugs?

14.95 before taxes, and you can use annual pass discount on it.