Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Holy loving god, the final boss of Donkey Kong Country Returns.

I've beaten super meat boy.

And this is STILL tougher than that. Not even sure what it is, but I'm being wrecked five ways from sunday. At best I've gotten one hit on his head. According to guides, I need three. HAHAHA.

A final boss should not be tougher than the entire rest of the game combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

And this is STILL tougher than that. Not even sure what it is, but I'm being wrecked five ways from sunday. At best I've gotten one hit on his head. According to guides, I need three. HAHAHA.

You're doing something wrong, that boss is tricky for sure, but it's 100% pattern recognition, just gotta nail the cycle.

Also you know you can buy the extra health, it helps.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Argh. Beat him.

Not tougher than meat boy, I'm exagerating on that score.

But the final boss of DKCR DOES use a lot of bullshit randomization. Just got lucky - in his second form he gave me two free hits straight up immediately AND I got an extra heart earlier in the level.

What was frustrating me is when the two hands "Smash" together in the first section. Courtesy of youtube you can bounce off his hands and stay safe that way. Not intuitive at all.

just kinda stands out since the rest of the title is so precise and deliberate with its design, and then the final boss is a bit of a toss up.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think all the bosses in that game are kinda lame. Even Tropical Freeze, which I think is a vastly superior game, still has bosses that are just annoying to fight. Mainly they take way too loving long.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
That's the case for all Nintendo platformers in the past like

hundred years

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

noirstronaut posted:

That's the case for all Nintendo platformers in the past like

hundred years

?

Nintendo bosses are awesome. Tropical Freeze bosses are awesome.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Sorry I'm taking lame to mean very easy and pretty systematic

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

Sorry I'm taking lame to mean very easy and pretty systematic

I'd say that's true. I never like bosses where you have to just wait and wait for them to expose their weak spots, they're all like that.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Jarogue posted:

But doing a Doomship run with the Frog Suit is great, the Kings even says something different when you have it or the other two suits on.

Frog Suit "Oh me, oh my! You've been transformed! Shall I change you back with this wand?"

hop hop hop hop hop. Finishing a level with it is fun though since Mario will hop super fast to keep up. Picking up blocks makes the frog stand upright and for some reason it slides around a lot.

I found the bosses for Donkey Kong to be tense, but a bit long. You have this rythm and if you miss your chance there's literally nothing to do except wait for the chance to come up again. At least in Mario the bosses are a lot quicker to die.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Jarogue posted:

But doing a Doomship run with the Frog Suit is great, the Kings even says something different when you have it or the other two suits on.

Frog Suit "Oh me, oh my! You've been transformed! Shall I change you back with this wand?"

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Tropical Freeze's bosses just took too drat many hits to kill, with the first few cycles of their pattern becoming continually more tedious every time you had to repeat it. It does keep you on edge, and makes victory that much sweeter, but as a result I have exactly zero desire to ever play any of the boss battles again.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Not a Children posted:

Tropical Freeze's bosses just took too drat many hits to kill, with the first few cycles of their pattern becoming continually more tedious every time you had to repeat it. It does keep you on edge, and makes victory that much sweeter, but as a result I have exactly zero desire to ever play any of the boss battles again.

agreed, i liked the boss encounters a lot but found myself wondering "jesus christ is this over yet" many times. doing bosses 2-player became almost mandatory near the end because I was kind of tired of the trial and errors

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hakkesshu posted:

You're doing something wrong, that boss is tricky for sure, but it's 100% pattern recognition, just gotta nail the cycle.

Also you know you can buy the extra health, it helps.

He has set patterns you need to memorize but if I remember right (cause I had a hell of a time on that boss too) he changes the timing on his attacks halfway through and you basically have to relearn everything. Not to mention several of his vulnerable spots are there for like a split second so you gotta be quick.

DKCR was overall harder but Tropical Freeze is better, except the boss fights taking an eternity

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MinibarMatchman posted:

agreed, i liked the boss encounters a lot but found myself wondering "jesus christ is this over yet" many times.

At some point I felt this about the game so many times I just stopped playing

10 minute long boss fights where if you miss the window it'll take an extra minute, terrible swimming stages stretched into an entire world, frequent sections where they change up from platforming but decide to fill the entire stage with instant death obstacles everywhere.

I do not like DK Tropical Freeze and I'm pretty happy I got it for a Platinum gift instead of paying $60

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 4, 2015

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

I beat him, but I still haven't beaten the one Temple level, where you have to climb up as lava fills the tower. You gotta play that poo poo perfectly.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The last boss was annoying, but it's just Wham Bam Rock from Kirby Superstar over again, with way more narrow windows for attack. My biggest problem is that I died on him when I had Diddy, and when I came back it played the cutscene again butt his time I didn't have Diddy, so I had to beat him with half as much health as I came there with. I don't like the idea that loving up once makes it harder the next time. I still equipped every heart upgrade I could so I could tank a hit or two but it wasn't a terribly fun boss fight, and it capped off a pretty frustrating game.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Not a Children posted:

I thought they were perfect. Weren't most of them three sets of three hits? The ninja chimps or whatever dragged on a bit too long, but otherwise, I much prefer them to the typical "jump on their head 3 times" 20-second Mario bosses.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It felt like way more than three hits per cycle and three cycles. Especially if you miss a hit and have to wait through an entire attack cycle again. It's boring. I much prefer shorter bosses in a 2d platformer. The best 2d platformer fight bosses genre games is Mega Man, those fuckers certainly didn't take 5-10 minutes to beat per guy.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is it weird that the Xbone now has more N64 games than the Wii U?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is that true?

I count: Banjo, Banjo 2, Jet Force Gemini, Blast Corps, Conker, and Perfect Dark vs Mario Golf (or maybe it was tennis), Mario 64, Paper Mario, Ocarina of Time, Kirby 64, and Donkey Kong 64, so six on six, not counting all the ones on Wii virtual console.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Spacebump posted:

I'd say yes, but if we're counting stuff they ported to XBLA/360 and re-released in the compilation, we should count N64 games you can buy on the Wii Shop Channel with the Wii's backwards compatibility.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

KI Gold is N64

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The count seems skeweked. There's like five on the collection. On the other hand, there's like, what, four on the Wii U? So it does seem too equal a number and amusing all things considered. Nintendo really, really dropped the ball completely with VC this gen when compared to all the output on the original Wii.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

majormonotone posted:

KI Gold is N64

Is that actually in the collection? I read the killer instinct ones were not.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Just KI Gold. They didn't bother trying to make a port of the SNES Killer Instinct or include either of the arcade games.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

All the things you don't like about New Donkey Kong Country are the reasons I like it. It's a tough game that's constantly throwing poo poo at you and the level design is top notch. So many times when I died in those games I was amused instead of angry, because I saw how the level was set up to trip me up right after I died or as it was happening and it was often pretty clever. The level designer is almost a character in the game.

The boss fights are kinda long but I prefer that to the aforementioned "blink and you miss it" bosses from Mario. It seems like a logical and long overdue change to a genre that no longer needs to be beaten in one sitting. Losing Diddy after your first death is a bad decision though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Spacebump posted:

I heard the N64 emulation in rare replay is dogshit so it doesnt really matter

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Does the rare replay add features like the save states and button mapping on the Wii U? If it's just a straight port then it's apples and oranges.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

enojy posted:

I thought they were perfect. Weren't most of them three sets of three hits? The ninja chimps or whatever dragged on a bit too long, but otherwise, I much prefer them to the typical "jump on their head 3 times" 20-second Mario bosses.

3 sets of 3 was the final boss in most DKC games.

Your regular boss should not take as many hits as a very comparable game's final boss.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

xedo posted:

Does the rare replay add features like the save states and button mapping on the Wii U? If it's just a straight port then it's apples and oranges.

According to Jim Sterling's review of it there's no button mapping but the game does offer NES Remix-style challenges for the older games.

edit: also, there are save-stats for the pre-N64 games apparently.

All Frogs fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 5, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There's up to ten second rewind on the NES and earlier I think which is a neat feature. No button remapping is hosed up though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The best thing about the Devil's Third streams coming from Japan is that Itagaki seems to be playing the multiplayer mode a lot and just indiscriminately murdering all the new players.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I just beat Bayonetta 2. It was good! :coffeepal:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Consider this though: was it?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

Consider this though: was it?

Yeah it is. It's probably better than the original to all but the most skilled players, who may prefer the vicious difficulty of the first game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh good

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The best thing about the Devil's Third streams coming from Japan is that Itagaki seems to be playing the multiplayer mode a lot and just indiscriminately murdering all the new players.
And apparently he had a live stream going earlier while hanging out with Yu Suzuki:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1089807&page=1

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Itagaki is about to make you his bitch.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

fruitpunch posted:

Itagaki is about to make you his bitch.

Ha, guess I wasn't the only one who said that aloud with this guy's Romero-like looks.

Goddamn, Yu Suzuki, go find better people to network with. The only thing Itagaki provides is embarrassment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
edit: new page

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 5, 2015

• Locked thread