Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
the only thing I like about Mayweather vs Berto is is confirms that Mayweather will return for a 50th fight. There's no way on Earth that Floyd is going to retire on a who gives a poo poo win over Andre Berto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
In actual Tuesday fight news, pbc is going to start a series of cards on fox sports 1 in September. The first card has Austin trout, but I'm more interested in the next three weeks, where we will get Sammy Vasquez, Julian Williams, and Javier fortuna.

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/fox-sports-announces-pbc-tuesday-night-series-300649

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

groves vs jack is on the floyd undercard. meh

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Enough Floyd nonsense for now.

I was listening to an interview with Mikkel Kessler at work and quick thought exercise:

Is Mikkel Kessler a hall of famer?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

who's his best win? froch?

always felt like kessler got overrated to make calzaghes record look better tbh

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I feel like Beyer and Andrade were pretty good wins before he lost to Calzaghe.

Still Froch is probably the best win and no he probably is not a hall of famer.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Then, fandom aside, is Sergio Martinez a hall of famer? It can be said he was the dominant middleweight only from the Kelly Pavlik through Chavez Jr. fights.

Also Razor Ruddock :psyduck: is supposedly going to be OK n the undercard of Stevenson - Tommy Karpency on (appropriately enough on 9/11

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

who else in the hall of fame? i don't even know how high the standard is tbh. there's probably some right average people in there

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

thehappyprince posted:

who else in the hall of fame? i don't even know how high the standard is tbh. there's probably some right average people in there

loving Too Sharp got in the hall of fame

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

thehappyprince posted:

There's a list here.

Fritzie Zivic jumps out as pretty mediocre (knowing nothing about him other than his record and glancing through boxrec). 158–65–9 (82 KO). He once had a 7 match losing streak in what should have been the prime of his career. Oh wait Lew Jenkins went 73-41-5 with 51 KOs, I'd imagine his punch is what got him in. He did have a nice nickname though, Sweetwater Swatter.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The SituAsian posted:

Then, fandom aside, is Sergio Martinez a hall of famer? It can be said he was the dominant middleweight only from the Kelly Pavlik through Chavez Jr. fights.

Also Razor Ruddock :psyduck: is supposedly going to be OK n the undercard of Stevenson - Tommy Karpency on (appropriately enough on 9/11

I think the two Williams fights, Pavlik, Chavez Jr, and possibly folklore over the Cintron draw will give Martinez a good argument. Cotto would have sinked it imo.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Cintron loving sucks and always has

fatherdog fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 10, 2015

Andro
Jun 30, 2010
First time I've seen all 5 minutes taken.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Andro posted:

First time I've seen all 5 minutes taken.

I was thinking the same thing watching that.

Did they not rule the knee as a knockdown earlier I guess?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

http://www.badlefthook.com/2015/8/9/9122529/james-toney-loses-to-40-year-old-club-fighter-in-missouri

there's a video on this page where his speech is seriously slurred. any commission that allows him to fight should be abolished tbh.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

thehappyprince posted:

http://www.badlefthook.com/2015/8/9/9122529/james-toney-loses-to-40-year-old-club-fighter-in-missouri

there's a video on this page where his speech is seriously slurred. any commission that allows him to fight should be abolished tbh.

Ya'll must have forgot about my fever dreams of Jones-Toney II

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God
Just ordered my tickets for the GGG fight. Anyone else going to be attending live?

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

ozymandius1024 posted:

Just ordered my tickets for the GGG fight. Anyone else going to be attending live?

Thinking about it. How much were your tickets?

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Gregor Samsa posted:

Thinking about it. How much were your tickets?

I went for the $100 tickets, thinking that they'd be in the 200 level or so, but I actually ended up being able to get tickets in section 110 for that price. With the service fees and everything, it was $118 per ticket (which is a hell of a lot more reasonable than I was thinking it'd be, to be honest)

I was prepared to be sitting in the 200 level (and seeing shots from baskeball games, they seem halfway decent), and if they're $50 bucks, that's probably not a terrible deal.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

And now Viloria/Gonzalez is official for the Golovkin undercard. loving awesome.

ozymandius1024 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 11, 2015

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

ozymandius1024 posted:

And now Viloria/Gonzalez is official for the Golovkin undercard. loving awesome.

These two are going to take over the boxing world

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Great move putting those guys on the same card again. I'll bet a lot of Latinos are already fans of Golovkin.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

The Ninth Layer posted:

Great move putting those guys on the same card again. I'll bet a lot of Latinos are already fans of Golovkin.

I'm bonkers for Golovkin, no lie

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Got tickets for the GGG fight. He's too fun to pass up.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E6dO2slVIA

mosley and porter sparring. mosley buckles him at one point lol

thehappyprince fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 12, 2015

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I like how they touch gloves and really mean it afterwards

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Canelo - Cotto official for November 21st at the Mandalay Bay Events Center. HBO PPV.

https://instagram.com/p/6VJok9sTyF/?taken-by=hboboxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKe3K3KJxAA

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 14, 2015

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
I'm guessing this is the boxing chat thread?

HAH did anyone else just catch the end of that fight on showtime? Jim Gray just straight up called the ref out on doing an abhorrent job, to his face! I've never seen anything like it in sports hahaha. I didn't know Jim Gray was that kind of G. That was awesome. I want to watch more boxing now.

psymonkey fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 14, 2015

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

psymonkey posted:

I'm guessing this is the boxing chat thread?

HAH did anyone else just catch the end of that fight on showtime? Jim Gray just straight up called the ref out on doing an abhorrent job, to his face! I've never seen anything like it in sports hahaha. I didn't know Jim Gray was that kind of G. That was awesome. I want to watch more boxing now.

Jim Gray has definitely done that before (and it was just as awesome). Look up the end of Mares/Agbeko 1 if you get the chance, because he gives Russell Mora the business in the post-fight interview. Reviews the tape with him and everything.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Announcers calling out lovely refs and judges (as long as they're being lovely towards the house fighter) is a long tradition in both boxing and mma.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Interested to see the betting line on Canelo and Cotto. I have a feeling Canelo will be around 2-1.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Ty1990 posted:

Interested to see the betting line on Canelo and Cotto. I have a feeling Canelo will be around 2-1.

Preliminary is Canelo -240 and Cotto +180 so your're pretty much spot on.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/boxing/odds/futures/

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Is this going to be at 160 or at Cotto's special Super Junior Middleweight class?

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
It is at 155, which is kind of dumb but ultimately doesn't really matter in this fight since Canelo has been fighting there his past 3 fights.

It's all about optics for future fights.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I feel like this is probably bad news for Canelo. I just don't really see what he does that gives Cotto a whole lot of trouble. He won't give him angles he can't deal with, I don't think he has hand speed that Cotto gets overwhelmed by and although he hits hard, I don't think it is break you down power (or loaded gloves).

It is a close fight for sure, I just don't know where I see Canelo winning it at.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mike- posted:

It is at 155, which is kind of dumb but ultimately doesn't really matter in this fight since Canelo has been fighting there his past 3 fights.

It's all about optics for future fights.

Oh. Is Cotto's middleweight title on the line?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Oh. Is Cotto's middleweight title on the line?

From what I read yes, and the winner of this fight is Golovkin's mandatory challenger

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Troy Queef posted:

From what I read yes, and the winner of this fight is Golovkin's mandatory punching bag

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Holy poo poo that Huck fight was insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I haven't watched boxing in like ten years when did Tarver get so drat fat?

• Locked thread