Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

a kitten posted:

Yomiko owns

and practically the first thing she does is take out a giant monster using nothing more than some paper ribbon.

za peipaa

I remember really enjoying the OVA actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Ride Or Die OVA is very much designed to be James Bond Except Starring A Small British Woman, yeah. Even has a Bond girl.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Also the soundtrack is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBxABTpl5tQ

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
What are some good action shows? I've already seen basic stuff like Fate/Zero, Chaika, and JoJo, in addition to all those old shows you'd see on Toonami like Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

What are some good action shows? I've already seen basic stuff like Fate/Zero, Chaika, and JoJo, in addition to all those old shows you'd see on Toonami like Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell.

Have you considered the Read or Die OVA?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
ROD didn't do a ton for me, though it's been a number of years since I watched it. I was excited for it, since folks generally rave about it, but...

I don't know, I have better taste now than I did a decade or whatever ago, so maybe I should rewatch it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

SunAndSpring posted:

Hellsing Ultimate has great action, though I'd argue poor fighting.

Baccano! is only intermittently action-packed, but it's pretty entertaining when it is. Short and sweet.

Casshern Sins is full of fights and philosophical meandering if that's your thing. Alternatively, the Read or Die OVA is dumb fun you don't have to think too hard about.

If you're open to movies, there's always Redline and Sword of the Stranger. There's also Ninja Scroll, but that's a little harder to recommend since the plot involves a rape at one point and it's not exactly handled delicately.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit is about a cool spear lady.

If you somehow haven't seen these: Black Lagoon, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Samurai Champloo.

The Hunter X Hunter series that finished up last year ruled pretty hard too, espicually once you get to the York New arc.

Katanagatari is way different than most action shows and that's what makes it real good.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 5, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Samurai Champloo

Hunter X Hunter
I forgot to mention both of these for some reason and recommend them as well.

Hunter x Hunter especially if you liked Jojo.

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005
What are the big shows from the past five years that I should be watching?

My anime watching heyday was before that. Since then I've still been managing to watch anime at a semi-regular interval, mostly trying to watch al Noitamina shows, new stuff from existing series that I like and which constantly pump out new stuff (i.e. Gundam, Lupin III, Ghost in the Shell etc.) or from directors that I like (i.e. Shinichiro Watanabe, etc.). I'm currently watching stuff like the two recent Hajime no Ippo shows, Chihayafuru, Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and original Dragonball.

I read these forums regularly and try to keep a list of some stuff that seems interesting. This list is far from depleted still, but what are the big shows of these past five years? Stuff of the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Gurren Lagann caliber?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Madoka was less than five years ago so that.

Also Jojo I guess.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

More people of all creeds should watch Kyousougiga. Ping Pong is also up there in my top shows of the last 5 years.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Space Dandy. Also, agreed on Kyousougiga.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Tiger & Bunny.

Pierce_The_Heavens
Feb 7, 2014
Gonna second the Ping Pong rec. I'd also recommend Little Witch Academia, as something super good that's pretty recent.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

The Colonel posted:

Also, agreed on Kyousougiga.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SunAndSpring posted:

Tiger & Bunny.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Tiger and Bunny is so good.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Funny Bunny posted:

What are the big shows from the past five years that I should be watching?

My anime watching heyday was before that. Since then I've still been managing to watch anime at a semi-regular interval, mostly trying to watch al Noitamina shows, new stuff from existing series that I like and which constantly pump out new stuff (i.e. Gundam, Lupin III, Ghost in the Shell etc.) or from directors that I like (i.e. Shinichiro Watanabe, etc.). I'm currently watching stuff like the two recent Hajime no Ippo shows, Chihayafuru, Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and original Dragonball.

I read these forums regularly and try to keep a list of some stuff that seems interesting. This list is far from depleted still, but what are the big shows of these past five years? Stuff of the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Gurren Lagann caliber?

Space Dandy.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
If it wasn't obvious by now, Space Dandy, Tiger & Bunny and Ping Pong are all loving fantastic.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
This is a plug for the wiki

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey, neat, PSG made the top in 2010.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's always amusing to see which shows still have fans and which shows had a lot of short lived hype. People were so excited about The Devil Is a Part-timer back when it aired but if that 2013 poll were to be run today I think it'd wind up pretty low on the list!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Srice posted:

It's always amusing to see which shows still have fans and which shows had a lot of short lived hype. People were so excited about The Devil Is a Part-timer back when it aired but if that 2013 poll were to be run today I think it'd wind up pretty low on the list!

To be fair, Zorak stickied it if I recall correctly, so that got a lot more people to watch it than normal.

Also to be fair to Zorak, he did bold Kyousougiga in his Spring preview list, which is how I ended up watching Kyousougiga.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Allarion posted:

To be fair, Zorak stickied it if I recall correctly, so that got a lot more people to watch it than normal.

Also to be fair to Zorak, he did bold Kyousougiga in his Spring preview list, which is how I ended up watching Kyousougiga.

That is understandable. I feel like in current ADTRW stickied threads don't have nearly as much pull but then again there's not nearly as many so who knows :v:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's pretty dumb that it beat kyousogiga and i think the tatami galaxy, but it's also not a weighted vote which overinflated things

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
If you like sports anime in any way, shape or form, watch Chihayafuru. That one of the only anime of any kind that actually stuck with me in recent years.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kokoro Wish posted:

If you like sports anime in any way, shape or form, watch Chihayafuru. That one of the only anime of any kind that actually stuck with me in recent years.

I would not have seen this if not for finding it on one of the wiki lists just this year. If you had told me about the premise of the story alone I probably wouldn't have even given it a chance. However, the enthusiastic recommendations of it there and around this forum made me give it a look. Holy crap it was really good. Give the first 3-4 eps a look if you haven't by now. It's great.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Srice posted:

It was a pretty good show, actually. I rewatched most of it a few times, though I haven't in a while.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

It was a pretty good show, actually. I rewatched most of it a few times, though I haven't in a while.

It seemed like a solid show to me, mainly just thinking that as far as longevity goes stuff like Chihayafuru, Jojo, and Attack on Titan would rank higher if the poll happened again today.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Devil is a Part-Timer is solid fun and ranks pretty high up there for me, actually. Again, one of the few anime I actually recommend because I remember it above alot of other stuff.

One series I will never understand people liking is Gatchaman: Crowds. Great animation, but lovely character design and messaging.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Devil is a Part-Timer is solid fun and ranks pretty high up there for me, actually. Again, one of the few anime I actually recommend because I remember it above alot of other stuff.

One series I will never understand people liking is Gatchaman: Crowds. Great animation, but lovely character design and messaging.

I've tried watching gatchaman a bunch of times, but by the fourth or fifth episode I'm just bored out of my mind with it. I don't like a single character in the thing.

But I figured I was just weird cause I don't' like Kyousougiga either which everyone also seems to love so I just thought my brain was broke.

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

If it wasn't obvious by now, Space Dandy, Tiger & Bunny and Ping Pong are all loving fantastic.

Looks like it! Space Dandy I've already seen, as I definitely keep up with my Shinichiro Watanabe stuff. Ping Pong I haven't yet seen, but I will stumble upon it eventually as I further work my way down the Noitamina shows. I guess the main suggestions I got would be Tiger & Bunny, Kyousougiga and Madoka Magica.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Funny Bunny posted:

Looks like it! Space Dandy I've already seen, as I definitely keep up with my Shinichiro Watanabe stuff. Ping Pong I haven't yet seen, but I will stumble upon it eventually as I further work my way down the Noitamina shows. I guess the main suggestions I got would be Tiger & Bunny, Kyousougiga and Madoka Magica.

Solid choices. Start with Madoka. Maybe toss in Steins Gate.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cake Attack posted:

it's pretty dumb that it beat kyousogiga and i think the tatami galaxy, but it's also not a weighted vote which overinflated things

The Tatami Galaxy tied with Angel Beats in 2010.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

The Tatami Galaxy tied with Angel Beats in 2010.

Kill ADTRW

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah angel beats should have been way higher

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kyon facepalm .gif

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

Yeah angel beats should have been way higher

I'll have you know that the Tatami Galaxy is bettudgenusbybdunejmeemzybsybDJMRKKDIKDMEMD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the hell is an Angel Beats

• Locked thread