Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Junkfist posted:

I am going to make Max tongue-dart Warren's apehole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Check out this flowchart describing all the branching possibilities from the conversation with Frank in episode 4. It's really impressive.

Here's the link to the full size. I'd post the actual image but it would break the thread.

http://venturebeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Life-Is-Strange-Frank-flowchart.jpg

Taken from this article

http://venturebeat.com/2015/08/04/the-ridiculous-design-behind-a-key-scene-in-life-is-strange/

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I actually had to walk away from the game after the euthanasia choice. I actually muted the game and went back and forth on it for a half hour before I finally decided to let her die. Had to put it down after that. Finally went back to it today.

:stare:

Jesus. Step on that poo poo, DONTNOD, I need to know how this ends ASAP. (And please don't make it the Donnie Darko ending.)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think at least one of the endings will be a good one. Everyone is all about the theory that Chloe has to die because that's what the universe wants. I think it's the opposite, since Max only gets her powers in order to save Chloe.

So I think the good ending is getting Chloe to survive. And I don't think Max would die in any of the endings.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
In Episode 5, you will choose from the appropriate photos to rewind back to. The people who chose the selfie in Episode 1 will be forced to replay the entirety of Episodes 1-4 up to the point where they get the choice again in Episode 5. The true ending only happens if you do this for another full loop and manage to keep Lisa and the bluebird alive in all three runthroughs.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

TastyLemonDrops posted:

In Episode 5, you will choose from the appropriate photos to rewind back to. The people who chose the selfie in Episode 1 will be forced to replay the entirety of Episodes 1-4 up to the point where they get the choice again in Episode 5. The true ending only happens if you do this for another full loop and manage to keep Lisa and the bluebird alive in all three runthroughs.
But it turns out that this was Mantarok's plan all along and it becomes the only surviving Ancient due to Max's actions throughout the three timelines.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TastyLemonDrops posted:

In Episode 5, you will choose from the appropriate photos to rewind back to.

That's pretty much looking to be a thing in the episode, because one of the preview photos is of her staring at a wall of her own polaroids. I wonder if Nathan breaking in and painting over some of them in an early episode might affect that.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

theblackw0lf posted:

Check out this flowchart describing all the branching possibilities from the conversation with Frank in episode 4. It's really impressive.

Here's the link to the full size. I'd post the actual image but it would break the thread.

http://venturebeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Life-Is-Strange-Frank-flowchart.jpg

Taken from this article

http://venturebeat.com/2015/08/04/the-ridiculous-design-behind-a-key-scene-in-life-is-strange/

:stare: That's starting to remind me of the various flowcharts for Primer (which Warren recommends to Max, bless him, what a great movie.)

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Did Warren take a selfie with everyone before the party?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

theblackw0lf posted:

Taken from this article

My only problem with the Frank scene is that I should be able to just take the list from his dead body and rewind, so we never have to deal with him at all. It seemed weird that Chloe didn't even suggest rewinding when she was freaking out about shooting him. Clearly, the optimal solution is to execute Frank without a word, take all his stuff, and then rewind, keeping all the spoils :smug:. The times when the game forgets its own rules are a bit annoying, but apart from that I loved this episode as much as everybody else.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SimonChris posted:

My only problem with the Frank scene is that I should be able to just take the list from his dead body and rewind, so we never have to deal with him at all. It seemed weird that Chloe didn't even suggest rewinding when she was freaking out about shooting him. Clearly, the optimal solution is to execute Frank without a word, take all his stuff, and then rewind, keeping all the spoils :smug:. The times when the game forgets its own rules are a bit annoying, but apart from that I loved this episode as much as everybody else.

Yeah, there is literally no reason you shouldn't be able to take the list off of Chloe and rewind the entire scene to the beginning.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think the reason is they didn't think you would do that.

In the first ep the room itself you can learn something about chloe by crashing the snowglobe, but then you can rewind time. Earlier you can pocket an item by rewinding time.

You can get the cd this way and turn on music before the conversation. But it still acts like you haven't done so.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think the reason is they didn't think you would do that.

In the first ep the room itself you can learn something about chloe by crashing the snowglobe, but then you can rewind time. Earlier you can pocket an item by rewinding time.

You can get the cd this way and turn on music before the conversation. But it still acts like you haven't done so.

You outright have to do this to get Frank's RV keys in the previous episode.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You outright have to do this to get Frank's RV keys in the previous episode.

If they didn't forget it, then they arbitrarily wanted you to do it this way regardless of the mechanics.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
The reason is that Chloe has to get her gun back, and since she grabs it not Max, she loses it when you rewind

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ekusukariba posted:

The reason is that Chloe has to get her gun back, and since she grabs it not Max, she loses it when you rewind

That's a non-issue with the simple phrase "hey Chloe, give me the journal".

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's a non-issue with the simple phrase "hey Chloe, give me the journal".

Gun, not journal. Dontnod wanted Chloe to have her gun for the last part of the episode, and the encounter with Frank serves to make sure she has it, regardless of your previous choices. So they ignored the established mechanic in order to force you to deal with Frank.

With the way Max talks about not relying on the rewind power before they see Frank, I wonder if it wasn't originally intended to be a "no rewind" section like with Kate?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Varam posted:

Gun, not journal. Dontnod wanted Chloe to have her gun for the last part of the episode, and the encounter with Frank serves to make sure she has it, regardless of your previous choices. So they ignored the established mechanic in order to force you to deal with Frank.

With the way Max talks about not relying on the rewind power before they see Frank, I wonder if it wasn't originally intended to be a "no rewind" section like with Kate?

That would have made a lot of sense. As it is, the only reason to ever leave Frank dead is out of morbid curiosity.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CottonWolf posted:

That would have made a lot of sense. As it is, the only reason to ever leave Frank dead is out of morbid curiosity.
Or sticking to your guns and never rewinding for big decisions like me. Hopefully I don't get some weird rear end janky plot branch because I'm the minority choice.

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away

Accordion Man posted:

Or sticking to your guns and never rewinding for big decisions like me. Hopefully I don't get some weird rear end janky plot branch because I'm the minority choice.

Its a single player game and you should play however you want, but why do this? Time travel and looking at all the options are baked into the story. Did you reload whenever you "died" in Planescape: Torment?

At any rate, you will, hopefully, have an interesting story branch in episode 5.

-edit-

exquisite tea posted:

And despite Frank softening up to you a little, he's still a drug dealer and at the end of the day he's still gonna probably want his $5000.
Look at this nerd that doesn't believe in the power of friendship and doesn't steal from the handicapped fund to repay a drug dealer.

Torgo2727 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 5, 2015

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Dontnod just plain left out that option with Frank because it would have led to a much easier, quicker solution that everyone would have taken unequivocally without bothering to explore the dialogue branches that they painstakingly created. Also if you notice it's Chloe who runs off with the notebook, so it technically does not violate the "all choices aren't permanent until you leave the area" rule, although Max could have probably just taken it herself on the next go-round. In conclusion, video games.

And despite Frank softening up to you a little, he's still a drug dealer and at the end of the day he's still gonna probably want his $5000.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Torgo2727 posted:

Its a single player game and you should play however you want, but why do this? Time travel and looking at all the options are baked into the story. Did you reload whenever you "died" in Planescape: Torment?

At any rate, you will, hopefully, have an interesting story branch in episode 5.

-edit-

Look at this nerd that doesn't believe in the power of friendship and doesn't steal from the handicapped fund to repay a drug dealer.
I still use rewind for all the other stuff but for the major choices I don't want to do any takebacks, I'll suffer whatever consequences there may be. I don't think that's a strange way to play games that give you decisions like that.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Torgo2727 posted:

I like that you can steal the handicap fund money and then just... keep it. Sorry, Frank, but Max needs a fancy new camera!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Varam posted:

Giving how thrown in the scene of her going to grab the gun is, I'm like 90% sure they added that scene because they realized that Chloe had the gun in the ending cutscene and didn't want to make another version of it.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Taken from this article

I laugh at how little difference it makes whether Chloe is nice or not :allears:

e: Can't Chloe get her hand on a glock(ish) gun i another scene? Does she ever get rid of that gun, or does she just roll with the revolver just-because?

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 5, 2015

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Pimpmust posted:

I laugh at how little difference it makes whether Chloe is nice or not :allears:

e: Can't Chloe get her hand on a glock(ish) gun i another scene? Does she ever get rid of that gun, or does she just roll with the revolver just-because?

She uses it on Frank if she doesn't have the revolver at that point.

I'm sorta hoping she still has it on her body so you can dig it out and cap Jeffers if he taunts you with her.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The chart was really cool, thanks for posting it.

It is a shame that no matter how right you get the early options, you're screwed if you don't get the exact right answer on the very last. Worst design flaw is still that the "Rachel photo" option gives no indication of having a different outcome than "Rachel letter"...

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
It'll be great when there's a trigger for a flat out fail state in the final episode if you rewound more than X times. Max did say she had to watch her power usage for frivolous things in Episode 4.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

TastyLemonDrops posted:

It'll be great when there's a trigger for a flat out fail state in the final episode if you rewound more than X times. Max did say she had to watch her power usage for frivolous things in Episode 4.

There's no way they are going to put in a failure condition if you rewound to hear everything Samuel or the homeless woman had to say in previous episodes.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

CottonWolf posted:

Well, I left him dead because he said he'd kill Chloe if he didn't have the money he was owed by Friday, and I had every reason to believe him. I'd rather see Chloe alive and struggling with having killed someone in self defense than dead by a deranged drug dealer's hand.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

VagueRant posted:

The chart was really cool, thanks for posting it.

It is a shame that no matter how right you get the early options, you're screwed if you don't get the exact right answer on the very last. Worst design flaw is still that the "Rachel photo" option gives no indication of having a different outcome than "Rachel letter"...

It's because the letter was in his RV, which it pisses him off that you were in, wheras you can see the photo legit in the diner because he carries it around with him.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

DivisionPost posted:

Well, I left him dead because he said he'd kill Chloe if he didn't have the money he was owed by Friday, and I had every reason to believe him. I'd rather see Chloe alive and struggling with having killed someone in self defense than dead by a deranged drug dealer's hand.

But she got shot in the head by a deranged psychopath at the end of the episode!:downs:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

psychoJ posted:

But she got shot in the head by a deranged psychopath at the end of the episode!:downs:

No need to be rude. I bet he is a very rational and down to earth person. A person has one weird hobby and that's everything society defines him by. Everyone has to have an artistic outlet. And since that's already his job, he had to do something less ordinary
I am actually wondering wether he will break out into a rambling mess, or keep his calm next episode. Presumably he will talk to Max once she awakes.

By the way, can we drop the tags now? It's been over a week already. Anyone who hasn't played the latest episode frankly shouldn't read this thread.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

It feels like its been longer than that.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Viva Miriya posted:

It feels like its been longer than that.

Yeah no poo poo. It's gonna be a rough two months.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, I need Episode 5, like, yesterday. This is the cruelest wait.

:negative:

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Did Warren take a selfie with everyone before the party?

By this I mean you, when you played, or is it conditional?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

By this I mean you, when you played, or is it conditional?

It always happens.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Air is lava! posted:

By the way, can we drop the tags now? It's been over a week already. Anyone who hasn't played the latest episode frankly shouldn't read this thread.

I don't see why not. We did agree on a week. If there's a hypothetical person who gets angry at us for not keeping spoiler tags in the conversation until the indeterminate point in the future where they may or may not play it, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Pretty weird to find out that Max was actually a Soviet Spy the entire time, though. I guess that pink shirt should have tipped us off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, I need Episode 5, like, yesterday. This is the cruelest wait.

:negative:

Don't worry there's only 66 more days to go :shepicide: (assuming they go for the obvious release of October 11th, same day the last episode is set)

• Locked thread