Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Totally ready for Harbaugh to actually wear that outfit on opening day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

A local older fellow I know spent part of his childhood in Waco.

He said he'd skip school and head down to Baylor. There, he''d agitate the bear, which resided underneath the stadium.

I'm still quite fond of the story of the original Bevo.

""The Truth About Bevo" posted:

Out of sight and away from Austin, the branded steer was all but forgotten until the end of the war in November 1919. Since food and care for the animal was costing the University fifty cents a day, and because the steer wasn't believed to be tame enough to roam the campus or remain in the football stadium, it was fattened up and became the barbecued main course for the January 1920 football banquet. The Aggies were invited to attend, served the side they had branded, and were presented with the hide, which still read "13 - 0."

Of course, there also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foGHh14uvKk

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

UConn should seriously schedule a permanent home and home arrangement with Illinois and the Beck Man that both sides have their fake/useless rivalry needs met.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I can't wait for Michigan to lose to UNLV in the biggest upset of the year

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

It is very rare and there was actually a girl in Arkansas with it two years ago who lived.

It is rare, but that doesn't make it any less terrifying. Also, the survival is less than 1%. Just because I know someone who has survived a ED thoracotomy for blunt trauma doesn't mean I expect anyone else too.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Where are the khakis?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

swickles posted:

It is rare, but that doesn't make it any less terrifying. Also, the survival is less than 1%. Just because I know someone who has survived a ED thoracotomy for blunt trauma doesn't mean I expect anyone else too.

It is becoming less rare in Louisiana over the past couple of years. A handful of the southern parishes are getting pretty frequent "boil water" orders.

About 10 days ago, there was one in Orleans parish. Even though the city found out at 3am that it'd been detected, the alert didn't go out until around 10:30. By that time, I'd already showered & drank water from the tap.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

C2C - 2.0 posted:

It is becoming less rare in Louisiana over the past couple of years. A handful of the southern parishes are getting pretty frequent "boil water" orders.

About 10 days ago, there was one in Orleans parish. Even though the city found out at 3am that it'd been detected, the alert didn't go out until around 10:30. By that time, I'd already showered & drank water from the tap.

Ingesting it is actually fine. Its submersing yourself in the infected water that's a problem. The parasite gets to the brain by going up your nose, through some tiny openings in the skull at the top of the sinuses and into the brain. Still, you want to avoid it like the plague.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

JesustheDarkLord posted:

There's a fair chance my last words will be gently caress the gators too

Lmao same

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/626839336122740736

quote:

MSU's Connor Cook apparently likes to initiate incoming recruits by calling completely made up plays in the huddle.

lol

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Also I was at a bachelor party in new Orleans drunk for the whole time a couple weeks ago and we didn't see the boil water thing til a few days in. I guess it's (arguably) a good sign that we're all still alive.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Well now i have something else to be a hypochondriac about

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Jerry Kill is getting a raise from 2.2 million a year to 2.5 million. A staggeringly idiotic sum which has thus far netted no bowl game wins. Even more idiotically that would still only make him the 8th highest paid coach in the Big 10. Jesus loving christ.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

The Big Jesus posted:

Also I was at a bachelor party in new Orleans drunk for the whole time a couple weeks ago and we didn't see the boil water thing til a few days in. I guess it's (arguably) a good sign that we're all still alive.

I typically feel the need to boil everything whenever I visit nola. Water, food, bedding, clothes, my skin...

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

JesustheDarkLord posted:

There's a fair chance my last words will be gently caress the gators too

And I'll be standing over you, whispering 'Ten to Nine.'

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

What are some decent streaming sites? I'm heading to Sicily in the end of September. I'm going to end up missing the Rutgers game entirely because it's an 8pm game, and I'll already be on the plane by the time the game starts. The following Saturday, I might hunker down in my hotel room and stream the game if I can't find a bar with American sports in Catania (seems incredibly unlikely). As a last resort, I'll purchase the streaming radio thing. If the game is on BTN, I think I should be okay.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

LeeMajors posted:

Hey if you guys hadn't dodged us for the first sixty years of the SEC the series wouldn't be close at all.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Dattserberg posted:

I'll stick with the ocean.

The ocean, like, that thing with jelly fish and sharks and sea snakes and such?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

Man you're really milking that game aren't you

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

MindlessHavok posted:

We can play the 10 game win streak game if you want.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

We can play the 10 game win streak game if you want.

It would hold more weight than continually referencing that absolute dumpster fire of a game.

It's like that special olympics joke. Yeah you won but you're still retarded.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Last years tenn uf was fun :(

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I thought they banned bum fights.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MindlessHavok posted:

Not really. Just a fun reminder that even at the darkest depths of our futility, we still own UT.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
Man Dooley cratered Tennessee. Who the hell was the AD at Tennessee that hired Dooley anyway? I'm struggling to think of anyone that was as obviously unqualified as Dooley that's ever been hired at a major program. Maybe somebody like Tim Beckman or Turner Gill, but I don't know if Kansas or Illinois qualify as major programs. Maybe the Buffalo Bills hiring Chan Gailey?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Man Dooley cratered Tennessee. Who the hell was the AD at Tennessee that hired Dooley anyway? I'm struggling to think of anyone that was as obviously unqualified as Dooley that's ever been hired at a major program. Maybe somebody like Tim Beckman or Turner Gill, but I don't know if Kansas or Illinois qualify as major programs. Maybe the Buffalo Bills hiring Chan Gailey?

To be somewhat fair to the AD, they were scrambling to find a HC rather unexpectedly. By that point, probably all of the flashy big names were already taken.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Lane Kiffin wasn't exactly a great hire either but at least they won 7 games, I guess.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

MindlessHavok posted:

It would hold more weight than continually referencing that absolute dumpster fire of a game.

It's like that special olympics joke. Yeah you won but you're still retarded.

Florida football didn't exist until the 90s, let him have it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spacemonkey57 posted:

If NFL hires count I expect Jim Tomsula to make this list in a couple of years. Or a year.

Also what Charlie Weis did to Kansas is the most complete crater job I can think of. poo poo program when he got there and he somehow made it much much worse.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Remember when Charlie Weis was at Notre Dame that was cool

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

RumbleFish posted:

Lane Kiffin wasn't exactly a great hire either but at least they won 7 games, I guess.

You could justify Kiffin at least - he has NFL experience. He went 8-5 at Louisiana Tech and his dad was a good coach at Georgia doesn't seem like it qualifies you for anything better.

Tomasula is a good one. Also the Chargers having an incredibly talented roster and hiring Norv Turner is up there.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Remember when he sued the doctor who did his lap band surgery and they had to declare a mistrial because one of the jurors collapsed and the doctor he was suing saved the guys life?

Spacemonkey57 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 5, 2015

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Spacemonkey57 posted:

You could justify Kiffin at least - he has NFL experience. He went 8-5 at Louisiana Tech and his dad was a good coach at Georgia doesn't seem like it qualifies you for anything better.

Tomasula is a good one. Also the Chargers having an incredibly talented roster and hiring Norv Turner is up there.

Norv was our punishment for mistreating Marty.

What's Marty up to these days. And Dick Vermiel.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
Dooley was one of the worst coaching disasters in years. He makes Muschamp look like Vince Lombardi.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Komet posted:

What are some decent streaming sites? I'm heading to Sicily in the end of September. I'm going to end up missing the Rutgers game entirely because it's an 8pm game, and I'll already be on the plane by the time the game starts. The following Saturday, I might hunker down in my hotel room and stream the game if I can't find a bar with American sports in Catania (seems incredibly unlikely). As a last resort, I'll purchase the streaming radio thing. If the game is on BTN, I think I should be okay.

atdhenet.tv (I think, phone posting), and first row sports are pretty good.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I still think Kiffin was a good gamble but it didn't win.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Dooley seems largely okay as an NFL position coach but it's sort of hard to tell how much anyone is doing there.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I still think Kiffin was a good gamble but it didn't win.

If Carroll doesn't leave USC he's prb at Tenn at least until around when Dooley got canned. I think he would have made the program better than what Dooley did to it for sure.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Florida football didn't exist until the 90s, let him have it.
Fair enough.

Spacemonkey57 posted:

It's been said before but had Dooley's last name been Johnson or something like that instead, he would have never even been looked at. Kiffin wound up being a disaster and the idea was to bring someone on that had a recognizable name and was "wholesome". Most people have the warm and fuzzies about Vince, so Derek will bring that with him right? RIGHT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Kiffin was a success story for the Vols until he left after planting a bomb in the foundation

Seriously look how much worse they were the year before and the year after he was there

• Locked thread