Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

DeepQantas posted:

Vehicles want to choose the correct lane as soon as possible, so by using Traffic Manager or Traffic++ you can force them to split up.

Just change the turn signs to the following:

Traffic going short distance will take right lane, medium distance will take middle lane, long distance will take left lane.

Make sure you use the "Turn Only" signs so cars will have to choose where they want to go. By default C:S lays down "Turn OR Go Straight" signs which will essentially make one lane service two destination's worth of traffic.

Two right turn lanes merging into a single street? Does that even work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Slashrat posted:

Couldn't the performance hit be significantly mitigated by having a practical speed limit for each stretch of road that is calculated based on congestion on that stretch, and have the path-planner use that instead of the normal speed limit? Then the simulation would only need to do a single pass over the roads at regular intervals to update the practical speed limits, and the planner would become less likely to pick the congested paths.
I think there's aspects of that already in that mod and it ends up being the practical implementation. That is a monster of a concept to load balance in a dynamic system when you are locking in paths at agent creation. You need to get the refresh time and the weighting just right to prevent creating a traffic storm with a roving traffic jam that shifts to wherever the traffic wasn't a moment ago.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Welcome future XBone owners of Skylines. Somehow I bet its easier to make repeatable curves with a controller.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

zedprime posted:

Welcome future XBone owners of Skylines. Somehow I bet its easier to make repeatable curves with a controller.

I can't imagine it'll play that well with a controller for the rest of the game, though. Although... isn't the XBone about to introduce native mouse support? Maybe Skylines'll work with that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

zedprime posted:

I think there's aspects of that already in that mod and it ends up being the practical implementation. That is a monster of a concept to load balance in a dynamic system when you are locking in paths at agent creation. You need to get the refresh time and the weighting just right to prevent creating a traffic storm with a roving traffic jam that shifts to wherever the traffic wasn't a moment ago.

Yeah this would make for amazing harmonic traffic patterns, eventually it would turn in to a sort of beat matching music game, only with cars as the bass line visualizer, and the user interface incredibly oblique and laggy

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Has anyone yet figured out how to mod emergency vehicle sirens?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I wonder how much CPU time it would take for every car taking a route to adjust the route speed slightly downward (for the purposes of route calculation) for X amount of time, say, six ingame hours.

It wouldn't matter if the paths didn't change values instantly (for parallelization) because it'd balance as traffic grows.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
The first expansion pack is supposed to be announced at Gamescom which starts tomorrow. Apparently there will be bikes, hopefully with bike lanes. I long for trams...

Metrication fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 4, 2015

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
If we can get proper Simcity 4 style farms I'll be happy.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Metrication posted:

The first expansion pack is supposed to be announced at Gamescom which starts tomorrow. Apparently there will be bikes, hopefully with bike lanes. I long for trams...
Yay, even denser traffic.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

SelenicMartian posted:

Yay, even denser traffic.

Well in real life dedicated cycle lanes take cars off the roads as more and more people feel safe cycling...

SC4 style farms would be great. Also I would really appreciate an official sea wall tool where you can just draw them instead of continually having to plop loads of puzzle pieces down. I'm guessing this is unlikely to happen though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If they add bike paths I hope they'll allow them in tunnels. That'd make things so much easier to plan them into the city.

MikeJF posted:

I can't imagine it'll play that well with a controller for the rest of the game, though. Although... isn't the XBone about to introduce native mouse support? Maybe Skylines'll work with that.
You'd think that, but you'd be amazed at the number of people who played Sim City on a freaking SNES.

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 4, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Poil posted:

You'd think that, but you'd be amazed at the number of people who played Sim City on a freaking SNES.

True, but SimCity 1 had a lot fewer controls.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Poil posted:

If they add bike paths I hope they'll allow them in tunnels. That'd make things so much easier to plan them into the city.

My first copy of SimCity 2000 was on the Playstation version. :(

I played the poo poo of that game. I also only ever had the SNES version of SimAnt. But having played the PC version years later, the SNES version seems slightly superior in some ways.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Has anyone yet figured out how to mod emergency vehicle sirens?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=421527612

Despite it being in 0.1 and the authors first mod, I've had no trouble with it and haven't heard sirens since.

I'm really hoping for a graphical/asset update sometime soon. I'm getting weary on all the familiar buildings.

buglord fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 4, 2015

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

GrossMurpel posted:

Two right turn lanes merging into a single street? Does that even work?
Yea. The vehicles are actually really flexible when it comes to that. And even further, in this example there is no merging. All the vehicles taking that particular turn will eventually start using the exact same route.

If you want to have two, three, six lanes out it's all fine, too. The important part is that you don't allow cars going straight to take the middle lane.

DeepQantas fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 4, 2015

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Avocados posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=421527612

Despite it being in 0.1 and the authors first mod, I've had no trouble with it and haven't heard sirens since.

I guess I meant if there was any way to replace the sirens. Having downloaded some German emergency vehicles, it's a bit off when they don't make the signature neeeeee-naaaawww siren noise.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I guess I meant if there was any way to replace the sirens. Having downloaded some German emergency vehicles, it's a bit off when they don't make the signature neeeeee-naaaawww siren noise.

Oops. Sorry. I've only known people who disliked it because its so disproportionately loud compared to the other city sound effects.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

Metrication posted:

Will they make traffic like this possible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKLWZjBu2iQ

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Metrication posted:

There is a tram mod, but I have no idea how it function ingame.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=484718651

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

New expansion is called After Dark and contains a bit of poetry.

https://youtu.be/lfFPIjdPJRk

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Night time and bikes! WOO!

But seriously CO, more buildings and better simulation stuff as well please. After Dark is perfect for a crime overhaul! :v:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ToastyPotato posted:

Night time and bikes! WOO!

But seriously CO, more buildings and better simulation stuff as well please. After Dark is perfect for a crime overhaul! :v:
There's commercial specializations with the requisite plots and a crime/police overhaul (with jails apparently) coming with it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

zedprime posted:

There's commercial specializations with the requisite plots and a crime/police overhaul (with jails apparently) coming with it.

Also the day/night cycle impacts traffic and citizen AI behavior.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

zedprime posted:

Mother of god, it is really happening. Where is the run down? Their facebook page only has the trailer and no other relevant links.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ToastyPotato posted:

Mother of god, it is really happening. Where is the run down? Their facebook page only has the trailer and no other relevant links.
I don't know if they've released text announcements yet, just some verbal announcements and QA at the paradox fan event.

http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/9931376

Skylines announcement starts at 37:30, and QA starts at 1:06:50

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

quote:

Day and Night Cycle: Day and night changes in the city and affects citizen schedules. Traffic is visibly slower at night and some zoned areas do not work with full efficiency, further easing the traffic. Service vehicles move around as usual. A free update for all users.

Leisure specialization: Commercial areas can specialize in leisure activities. Leisure areas are especially active during the night, but work like regular commercial areas during the day.

Beach specialization: Commercial areas such as beach bars and restaurants, small marina and fishing tours on the shoreline can specialize in beach activities.

Expanded City Services: Criminals will now be taken to Prison from Police buildings. Taxi service will help citizens and tourists travel around the city. Cargo hubs are harbors that accept cargo trains straight to the terminal. International airport is a huge airport, allowing much more traffic than the previous airport. It has a metro station attached to it. Bus terminal allows citizens to transfer to other bus lines in the terminal building.

New transportation options: Bikes and dedicated bike lanes and bike ways let citizens opt for a faster alternative to walking. Bus lanes can be used to help the public transportation run smoother.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Okay, but will After Dark accurately simulate the ENORMOUS fights people have about how important bike helmets are/are not?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Sober posted:

Day and Night Cycle: Day and night changes in the city and affects citizen schedules. Traffic is visibly slower at night and some zoned areas do not work with full efficiency, further easing the traffic. Service vehicles move around as usual. A free update for all users

Not bad, not bad at all

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

Okay, but will After Dark accurately simulate the ENORMOUS fights people have about how important bike helmets are/are not?
If you don't think you need one you probably don't have anything worth protecting and can go without. :reject:

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Sober posted:

Expanded City Services: Criminals will now be taken to Prison from Police buildings. Taxi service will help citizens and tourists travel around the city. Cargo hubs are harbors that accept cargo trains straight to the terminal. International airport is a huge airport, allowing much more traffic than the previous airport. It has a metro station attached to it. Bus terminal allows citizens to transfer to other bus lines in the terminal building.

I have such an enormous infrastructure boner right now.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Any info on when this is coming out?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's the point of airports if they haven't made tourism less useless? I notice zero effect from having an airport or cruise ship dock or not, the tiny trickle of tourists doesn't even pay for the facility's upkeep let alone have any effect on your economy.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

What's the point of airports if they haven't made tourism less useless? I notice zero effect from having an airport or cruise ship dock or not, the tiny trickle of tourists doesn't even pay for the facility's upkeep let alone have any effect on your economy.

They're cool, OK?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

My small island city had so many tourists pouring in through two different ports that the boats were colliding and glitching out and I had to develop a road network specifically to alleviate traffic issues. Like the traffic was almost as bad as the cargo port.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
More info and pictures: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/06/cities-skylines-after-dark-preview/

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Baronjutter posted:

Presumably tourism is getting a little attention and tuning with the commercial specializations.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Friction posted:

I have such an enormous infrastructure boner right now.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Cities: Skylines - I have such an enormous infrastructure boner right now.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Has anyone tried to replicate the insanity of the Texas highway system? I just got back from my first trip to Austin & San Antonio and was completely blown away with how insanely different it was. I've found a few workshop assets but I'd like to see if anyone had any suggestions before I spend days trying to set it up and inevitably screwing it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

suddenlyissoon posted:

Has anyone tried to replicate the insanity of the Texas highway system? I just got back from my first trip to Austin & San Antonio and was completely blown away with how insanely different it was. I've found a few workshop assets but I'd like to see if anyone had any suggestions before I spend days trying to set it up and inevitably screwing it up.

Yeah...

Basically, you need tons of space. That particular interchange is *only* about 40 units in the diagonal, but a whopping ~150 in length for the merges to look sweet and tidy. Get precision engineering, fine road heights, and probably no pillars as well. Then you can experiment with really big and flowing set-ups.

Do it in-map since the asset editor is way too small. Enable the money cheat since gently caress it, you're doing art, not some kind of bideo game for children.