Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Metapod posted:

I see they took the submission system from one of the old ufc games and the rope break button is a good idea

It drives me crazy that they had this awesome thing a few games ago, where if you wanted to you could hold a submission in the ropes for a 5 count and get DQ'd.

It was such a small thing, but it was cool to be a heel and hold a submission in until the 4 count and then let go. But they took it out, like they always do.

Was there some kind of glitch involving rope breaks that made them remove it? Or did they do it just to spite me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Someone on Reddit pointed out there appears to be a button to grab the rope for the person locked in the hold, which is a nice touch. Maybe that 5-second DQ will be back.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

triplexpac posted:

It drives me crazy that they had this awesome thing a few games ago, where if you wanted to you could hold a submission in the ropes for a 5 count and get DQ'd.

It was such a small thing, but it was cool to be a heel and hold a submission in until the 4 count and then let go. But they took it out, like they always do.

Was there some kind of glitch involving rope breaks that made them remove it? Or did they do it just to spite me.

The entire series has been like that. They'll introduce a neat mechanic like that, or the ultimate control moves, or the environmental grapples, and then just drop them one or two games later for no reason. It's one of the most frustrating things about these games for me.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

ZDar Fan posted:

The entire series has been like that. They'll introduce a neat mechanic like that, or the ultimate control moves, or the environmental grapples, and then just drop them one or two games later for no reason. It's one of the most frustrating things about these games for me.

Maddenitis. Except Madden has a dev team; I imagine WWE's team has been either:
--New people working with a bad legacy codebase;
--People who are hanging around and have tried a dozen things, but realize each one breaks the next one, and they need new FEATURES!

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

MinibarMatchman posted:

"chain grappling is back" was all it took for me to surmise this will just be another piece of poo poo

I have been staring at this quote for like ten minutes trying to come up with a reply.

I mean they're trying something different, dude, okay and maybe you don't like that and you know what? That's fine. But I think it's kind of bullshit that THAT is the reason you dismiss 2K16 as "another piece of poo poo." Really? Was the chain grappling system that bad? Because it wasn't. It wasn't very good, but it wasn't bad, and at least they're doing something new and rather than what THQ did they're actually improving upon it. If it was still THQ and they introduced this system? It wouldn't have gotten updated, been in for two or three games, and then suddenly disappeared.

You're really dismissive. That IGN article gave me a lot of faith. I'm just waiting for them to say PC release. Honestly that's all I need to get on board.

A better computer wouldn't hurt, either, because I can't even run 2K15 on this one.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I have a hard time getting too excited about IGN WWE game previews, considering they've been over hyping the games for years.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Upgraded to TEW 2010. Playing 1994 WWF. Johnny Polo died within 24 hours of me making him Kwang's manager. Terrific.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Perry Normal posted:

Upgraded to TEW 2010. Playing 1994 WWF. Johnny Polo died within 24 hours of me making him Kwang's manager. Terrific.

Wow, what a mark

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Skunkrocker posted:

I have been staring at this quote for like ten minutes trying to come up with a reply.

I mean they're trying something different, dude, okay and maybe you don't like that and you know what? That's fine. But I think it's kind of bullshit that THAT is the reason you dismiss 2K16 as "another piece of poo poo." Really? Was the chain grappling system that bad? Because it wasn't. It wasn't very good, but it wasn't bad, and at least they're doing something new and rather than what THQ did they're actually improving upon it. If it was still THQ and they introduced this system? It wouldn't have gotten updated, been in for two or three games, and then suddenly disappeared.

You're really dismissive. That IGN article gave me a lot of faith. I'm just waiting for them to say PC release. Honestly that's all I need to get on board.

A better computer wouldn't hurt, either, because I can't even run 2K15 on this one.

source your quotes

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I have a hard time getting too excited about IGN WWE game previews, considering they've been over hyping the games for years.

They are useful in the cases where they give the game a negative (or at least a not-glowing) review, which is when you know it's REALLY bad. 2K15 I think had the lowest IGN score yet, which hilariously was like a 7/10.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

FNN BLOR

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
tbh I'm honestly pretty happy that they're actually giving a half-baked system another go instead of dropping it instantly when it doesn't work out and bringing in something else dumb for one year. The core gameplay's gonna feel bad anyways, might as well pursue the things that are actually supposed to make the WWE games unique.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

Hahahaha you should have spent more time thinking of a reply.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
This is the kind of attitude which has let them get away with rehashing the same clunky engine year after year for over a decade. If you're going to accept and buy a game which barely qualifies for "it's not good, but it's not bad, I guess?" then you're going to keep recieving sub-par, lazy, slapdash games year after year.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

PFD! THE WHOLE F'N BLOR!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

pressedbunny posted:

This is the kind of attitude which has let them get away with rehashing the same clunky engine year after year for over a decade. If you're going to accept and buy a game which barely qualifies for "it's not good, but it's not bad, I guess?" then you're going to keep recieving sub-par, lazy, slapdash games year after year.
There's not a ton of money in wrestling games so it's really this, or nothing, or play the same Japanese imports over and over, or play TEW like a true mark. There are no other feds to carry a western AAA game release that could compete and innovate, and since the rights to WWE games have been sold off once before with the death of THQ it's pretty apparent that they'll will never receive more funding than they do now.

Actually I guess there is that one PS3 digital game with the hilarious Randy Orton theme ripoff. Maybe if we gamers voted with our wallets for once we'd see more of that!

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Perry Normal posted:

That owns. This is the reason I always get addicted to TEW but can't stick with any of the more action oriented games. I just want to see insane things happen to wrestlers.

It's 1990 and Hulk Hogan has lost the WWF World Title to JUNKYARD DOG. Sure why not. Jimmy Snuka is the first ever WCW World Champion and he's feuding with One Man Gang in the main events? This seems like some serious competition for Vince. I love it maggle

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

There's not a ton of money in wrestling games so it's really this, or nothing, or play the same Japanese imports over and over, or play TEW like a true mark. There are no other feds to carry a western AAA game release that could compete and innovate, and since the rights to WWE games have been sold off once before with the death of THQ it's pretty apparent that they'll will never receive more funding than they do now.

Actually I guess there is that one PS3 digital game with the hilarious Randy Orton theme ripoff. Maybe if we gamers voted with our wallets for once we'd see more of that!

I wanted to like that game but I haven't heard one person recommend its purchase. It was sub-mDickie quality if I remember right.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm more excited for restholds. Now I can be the most accurate Randy Orton on the 2k servers.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Marquis de Pyro posted:

That owns. This is the reason I always get addicted to TEW but can't stick with any of the more action oriented games. I just want to see insane things happen to wrestlers.

It's 1990 and Hulk Hogan has lost the WWF World Title to JUNKYARD DOG. Sure why not. Jimmy Snuka is the first ever WCW World Champion and he's feuding with One Man Gang in the main events? This seems like some serious competition for Vince. I love it maggle

Hahaha, I can't wait to see what insane poo poo WCW cooks up, I'm just a couple of shows into this mod.

Had Undertaker v Underfaker in my storylines when I started. Evolved it into a story where Taker abducts Faker and turns him into a weapon to destroy DiBiase's group. Now what gimmick to give the new face Brian Lee character that's coming out the end?

:getin:

Name suggestions?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Perry Normal posted:

Hahaha, I can't wait to see what insane poo poo WCW cooks up, I'm just a couple of shows into this mod.

Had Undertaker v Underfaker in my storylines when I started. Evolved it into a story where Taker abducts Faker and turns him into a weapon to destroy DiBiase's group. Now what gimmick to give the new face Brian Lee character that's coming out the end?

:getin:

Name suggestions?

I'm not sure, but he should have a manger named 'Paul Bear'

this is what has happened when WWF, AWA, NJPW, and AJPW have signed nearly every good American worker

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I'm not sure, but he should have a manger named 'Paul Bear'

this is what has happened when WWF, AWA, NJPW, and AJPW have signed nearly every good American worker

You say this like it's bad, yet anything resulting in a champion being named Porkchop Cash clearly can't be bad

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Why is "a bear" necessarily a face gimmick? Some bears are mean. Most, even.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

You're discounting how adorable Brian Lee is going to look.

Porkchop Cash is the best wrestler name I've ever heard, holy gently caress.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

What little they've shown of 2K16 looks alright, and the new mechanics SOUND good but they always do in previews. The real kicker is going to be the robustness of the creation suite - we'll be able to make arenas again and presumably our own shows, but if the limits on decals and the like from last-gen 2k15 persist it won't matter a whole lot. And then we've got 120 wrestlers with no word on how many CAW slots there are, or whether custom attires for existing wrestlers still occupy them (with 120 variants I wouldn't be surprised if that feature got dropped, really). Consoles had 25 slots in 2k15 and PC had 20. I'd hope for at least 40, enough to fill a secondary roster. But who knows.

2k15 gameplay was fine, I didn't miss the arcade pacing of the Yuke's games of old and I'm glad that THQ is pushing a more "simulationist" bent in the design. If they smooth out the bug where wrestler faces glitch out / cave in like bent tin foil, all will be forgiven. That poo poo was viscerally unnerving.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
There's like 50 CAW slots on PC.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Perry Normal posted:

Name suggestions?

The Usramajor.

Now say it like the fink would.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

You say this like it's bad, yet anything resulting in a champion being named Porkchop Cash clearly can't be bad

I'd book him. Is that Sweet Brown Sugar Skip Young or Koko B. Ware?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

KungFu Grip posted:

I'd book him. Is that Sweet Brown Sugar Skip Young or Koko B. Ware?

It's Skip Young, Koko B. Ware is currently losing to Sika in dark matches for WWF

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Basic Chunnel posted:

What little they've shown of 2K16 looks alright, and the new mechanics SOUND good but they always do in previews. The real kicker is going to be the robustness of the creation suite - we'll be able to make arenas again and presumably our own shows, but if the limits on decals and the like from last-gen 2k15 persist it won't matter a whole lot. And then we've got 120 wrestlers with no word on how many CAW slots there are, or whether custom attires for existing wrestlers still occupy them (with 120 variants I wouldn't be surprised if that feature got dropped, really). Consoles had 25 slots in 2k15 and PC had 20. I'd hope for at least 40, enough to fill a secondary roster. But who knows.

2k15 gameplay was fine, I didn't miss the arcade pacing of the Yuke's games of old and I'm glad that THQ is pushing a more "simulationist" bent in the design. If they smooth out the bug where wrestler faces glitch out / cave in like bent tin foil, all will be forgiven. That poo poo was viscerally unnerving.

PC had 25 to start, then once the DLC patch hit it upped to 50.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Is TEW the game where a wrestler can become hated by the locker room for ripping a nasty fart? Because I'm inclined to try that one.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I just hope they fix the alt attires, because I hate having attires and created wrestlers share a slot

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I already came up with the best gimmick for Brian Lee in the Monday Night Wars TEW thread: The Lumbertaker.

REST...IN...LEEEEEEEEEEEEEAVES

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

pressedbunny posted:

Except I like the current system, and I seem to be the only one. My problem with THQ was they would introduce a cool feature, and then it would disappear suddenly. Like the aforementioned five count system. Or it would just never ever change. Custom belts was a cool idea, how come it was never expanded? When 2K took over the first thing they did was release what Yukes and THQ had already been working on. Same old poo poo, but it was something THQ and Yukes had already been working on producing.

Sure, 2K15 removed a lot of poo poo, but it was one of those things where it felt necessary for them to do so. No custom arenas, no custom finishers, and no custom titles? Only 25 CAW slots and no women? They're not gone forever; 2K already said that. Imagine how much better they're going to be with polish and upgrades as compared to what they were before. They removed them so they could rewrite the code on how they work entirely. They added the chain grappling system, yeah it wasn't great but they're working on it. The submission system is finally getting an upgrade; will it be good? I dunno! Looks interesting. No more automatic rope breaks! Now you have to hit a button, giving that moment of "Is he going to grab the rope? CAN HE REACH IT?!" And five counts might come back too! Not to mention the level of polish the models have, models for Yukes WWE games haven't looked this good in YEARS. And holy poo poo Universe Mode got a makeover in a big way in 2K15 and apparently in 2K16 they're making it even better. Being able to put people on more than one A-Show? That's brilliant! 2K has done more in TWO GAMES to make the WWE series fresh again, and the last time THQ did anything like that was OVER FIVE YEARS AGO.

Frankly I think you guys have two opinions, both of which are valid and I respect, but shortsighted.
1. No Mercy was better. I disagree, but the consensus here is always "Why can't it be like No Mercy? No Mercy was the best." I liked No Mercy, but the current system which debuted with Smackdown vs Raw 07 if I recall correctly has been better.
2. Yukes has been producing the same game for ten years. Yeah, big drat problem there, but 2K is actually changing how it works. What they did with 2K15 alone is miles above what 2K14 was, a game they only slapped their name on. 2K Sports has lit a fire under Yukes to produce something new, and you can tell the Yukes staff are taking it seriously.

ZDar Fan posted:

Is TEW the game where a wrestler can become hated by the locker room for ripping a nasty fart? Because I'm inclined to try that one.

Yes.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Uh obviously Brian Lee should rename himself in honor of the best jobber in fake 1997 WWF

Bret Hart URSUS

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

2K15 was stripped back to the point of just being funny. Every single aspect from roster to graphics to repeat animations and commentary felt like "gently caress it, that'll do". Nobody can say with a straight face that it was anywhere near ready, yet it was rushed out because of the dumb schedules games have to be released on.

That video of Finn Balor's entrance just felt off. The crowd not looking at him. Maggle Maggling away over the music. The crawl through the ring that makes him look like a sniper's taken out his leg. They're little things in and of themselves, but there will be literally 1,000 little things that make the game suck a bit more.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Genericide posted:

2K15 was stripped back to the point of just being funny. Every single aspect from roster to graphics to repeat animations and commentary felt like "gently caress it, that'll do". Nobody can say with a straight face that it was anywhere near ready, yet it was rushed out because of the dumb schedules games have to be released on.

That video of Finn Balor's entrance just felt off. The crowd not looking at him. Maggle Maggling away over the music. The crawl through the ring that makes him look like a sniper's taken out his leg. They're little things in and of themselves, but there will be literally 1,000 little things that make the game suck a bit more.

Okay I really hope they fix that entrance thing, because that was unsettling.

I'm telling you, THQ never gave me hope the games were going to get any better. I literally bought them for the updated rosters. In two games 2K restored my faith in the system.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bad News Bear

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I usually play starting from the mid 80s in these TEW games. Sting dies in every game I play from that era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

That Five Star Wrestling game for PS3 had a lot of good ideas but the WORST execution. Rivalry specific finishers, decent rating system, etc.
But it's an absolute chore to play.