Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yeah sure I don't mind running teaching games when I have the chance, still need to finish the game with Stash as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I've been looking at the shorter scenarios for EotS and I'm not sure how I feel about them. I think the incentives are okay, but they still feel a little bit gamey (yeah, yeah, I know). The full scenario might be difficult to play in a single sitting but at least you can't just game the system by going for VPs, you actually have to think of the long-term issues. In the last game, for example, I had a choice for a 0-7 dice roll to win the game or using that 3 OC in order to shore up the severely deficient air-cover that I had over the Philippines/DEI/Malaya. I decided that taking the risk wasn't worth it because rolling 8-9 would have lost me the game (and I managed to win the next turn anyway). In the scenario I would have just gone for it. Has anyone played the shorter scenarios and if so, how do they fare?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
John Steidl made some fantastic videos for EOTS 2.0, explaining a lot of the concepts of the game. I hadn't seen these before, so I'm watching them now and they're very very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCx5_Bpzl1ZSRM41DaLt5DLQ?videos

My boss is out of work today, so by god I'm going to learn EOTS come hell or high water.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I would appreciate it if approximately 300 of you would back Sekigahara thanks in advance

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

T-Bone posted:

I would appreciate it if approximately 300 of you would back Sekigahara thanks in advance

nnngh tempting.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

T-Bone posted:

I have backed it for a while. It will get to 500 any day now :unsmith:

Zikan fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 4, 2015

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

John Steidl made some fantastic videos for EOTS 2.0, explaining a lot of the concepts of the game. I hadn't seen these before, so I'm watching them now and they're very very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCx5_Bpzl1ZSRM41DaLt5DLQ?videos

My boss is out of work today, so by god I'm going to learn EOTS come hell or high water.

That's a bad link. John is a great guy, so please do relink.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

wins32767 posted:

That's a bad link. John is a great guy, so please do relink.

Weird.

Here's the first video, regarding supply and activation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfqEUiHlCVI

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Anyone here play Totaler Krieg! and Dai Senso?

I actually have them both. I see these giant games that are not one of the two "standards" (which I would classify as A World at War or whatever Advanced Third Reich became and Worlds in Flames), and wonder whether there is a grand total of like two guys playing them solitaire in separate basements somewhere.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

Yeah sure I don't mind running teaching games when I have the chance, still need to finish the game with Stash as well.

I should be up for that basically any weekday before 5pm est

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

SlyFrog posted:

Anyone here play Totaler Krieg! and Dai Senso?

I actually have them both. I see these giant games that are not one of the two "standards" (which I would classify as A World at War or whatever Advanced Third Reich became and Worlds in Flames), and wonder whether there is a grand total of like two guys playing them solitaire in separate basements somewhere.

TK/DS are actually very highly regarded in this thread. There was a Let's Play of it going on for a while. Great games.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, TK especially is very highly regarded. We jokingly call it a 'Choose Your Own Adventure World War II' game but it is pretty highly regarded and rightly so. I really like Unconditional Surrender but TK is more interesting in terms of card play + the political scene since anything can happen, while UC is a bit set in stone.

DS is a bit weird: it works well for China and pretty much nowhere else: the support chit/naval/air system is waaaay too abstracted to do the whole of the PTO justice. Playing them together as Axis Empires is interesting but the interlinking between the two isn't great.

Me, panzeh and blackmongoose (iirc blackmongoose helped/is helping with the balancing of DS) played it quite a lot a whole while back. I like TK but it costs £95 (150 in american monopoly funbuxs) so yeah, bit steep.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
So I played my fourth game of FitL this past weekend. One person controlled the ARVN/US forces while I was the NVA and someone else was the VC. It was the full scenario and we're about 60% of the way through the deck, punches being traded back and forth, very even game up to that point etc etc. I forget the exact moves leading up to it but the ARVN/US player managed to hit me with, on two consecutive turns, Rolling Thunder, followed by Linebacker II. Needless to say I was without resources until basically the next coup phase, which was a long time in coming. Is there any way for an NVA player to raise resources aside from a) hoping for a resource event on a card, b) sitting out a turn to get 1 (!) resource point, or c) borrowing from the VC player (which wasn't an option since he only had 1 himself once I was bombed back into the Stone Age)? Those turns, and the advantage that it gave the ARVN/US player pretty much knocked me out of the game since I had spent half of the deck getting to that point, and without any available resources I simply couldn't replace the losses that the ARVN/US player preceded to inflict on me. Any advice from experienced FitL hands would be appreciated.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There isn't any way for you to get resources (although some cards will do that) apart from Coup cards. VC can bankroll you using Tax somewhat as well.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah NVA can be in deep poo poo if they run out of money. The VC can make money pretty easy if the have to by Taxing all over the place, especially on LoCs. And the NVA can still make a nuisance of itself with no money, marching Guerillas along LoCs is free and they can Ambush off them to pick away at US Troops.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Do you know what is best about wargames? That nobody plays them.

It's amazing how many unpunched cheap second-hand games are out there.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Gonna sell on some wargames that I hardly play or that I think are crap, including 1989: Dawn of Freedom, No Retreat 3, Steel Wolves and Wellington. Managed to find a buyer for 1989 and Steel Wolves already!

EDIT: Also these are gonna be the only wargames I've ever sold on apart from Labyrinth.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Is Wellington crap, or just doesn't see much play?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I don't like it. It uses the HIS/VQ system of combat, but for a game that doesn't have a political segment, which means that you have a game with a lovely combat system without even the interesting politicking that is at least present within HIS/VQ/Napoleonic Wars. Avoid at all costs.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Sending you a PM about NR3. Wait... aren't you in the UK? Shipping would probably kill me on that.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

So completely new to traditional wargames (avid board game player) saw that I missed Rally Around The Flag KS. While I wouldn't have spent the hundreds to get what I would have wanted, I am interested in getting more into something similar. Any recommendations?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mr.Trifecta posted:

So completely new to traditional wargames (avid board game player) saw that I missed Rally Around The Flag KS. While I wouldn't have spent the hundreds to get what I would have wanted, I am interested in getting more into something similar. Any recommendations?

That looks very similar to Clash Of Wills: Shiloh 1862... down to the cardboard models and card play.

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1634066/clash-wills-shiloh-1862

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I don't know much about Rally Round the Flag, but you can go one of two ways:

- Get Battle Cry. This is a really easy system to get into and the general ruleset has been used for stuff like Command & Colours: Ancients, Command & Colours: Napoleonics and Memoir '44 (WWII battles), so once you learn it making the jump to other system is easy. Very recommended for starting board wargamers.

- Jump into the deeeeep end and get Guns of Gettysburg. This uses a very unusual, complex ruleset but it can lead to very interesting games because it uses double-blind reinforcements: it aims to replicate the 'feeling' of Gettysburg rather than the historical battle (ie the commanders didn't know when their reinforcements were gonna come, at what time or what the enemy was gonna get either). It is a very difficult to understand game however.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Comedy Civil War option:

Terrible Swift Sword

...if you're a monster games fan.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Tekopo posted:

Me, panzeh and blackmongoose (iirc blackmongoose helped/is helping with the balancing of DS) played it quite a lot a whole while back. I like TK but it costs £95 (150 in american monopoly funbuxs) so yeah, bit steep.

CSI actually had some copies of TK at their Gen Con booth. I was very tempted to pick it up, but I went with Roads & Boats instead.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So is it worth getting the map and rulebook for EotS if I own the first edition? Paper maps are too flimsy for me and having an updated rulebook sounds nice, but I heard about some issues with the printing.

e: also is there a list of changes from the original rules to the current edition? The hardcopy of the rules I have has a few differences from the 2.0 rules on GMT's site (notably totally different rules for how much ground the US has to take to avoid losing Will) and I heard that the reprint has some differences in supply mechanics.

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 4, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Got my Hozan storage box/case and I'm really pleased with it.

Everything fits nice and tightly, plenty of dividers (and stickers). Container comes with 4 3x12 "shelves" and its all so well fitted that counters don't leave their compartments even if the whole case is upside down and tossed around a bit.

Anyday now I'll start clipping corners... maybe someday I'll even get to play it! :v:

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
Acessories-wise, invest in a key-line. Like, the retractable line you can hook to key chains. It's the best line-of-sight string.

Starter kit is really not that bad to get played. I've taught the game and fumbled through the first scenario in around 2-3 hours. Just, you know, don't start play blind.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Trynant posted:

Acessories-wise, invest in a key-line. Like, the retractable line you can hook to key chains. It's the best line-of-sight string.

Starter kit is really not that bad to get played. I've taught the game and fumbled through the first scenario in around 2-3 hours. Just, you know, don't start play blind.

Ive done a thorough once-over on the infantry rules, and if all goes well ill have a lot of free time at work soon to set up a game solo and try to bumble through it. Itll be interesting to play both sides.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Having played quite a few games of EotS, I'm really excited to see what Plan Orange is gonna be like. I really want to get a copy of c3i when the edition with the Plan Orange rules comes out.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Having played quite a few games of EotS, I'm really excited to see what Plan Orange is gonna be like. I really want to get a copy of c3i when the edition with the Plan Orange rules comes out.

Wait what? Where did you hear/read about this?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

From Mark's Herman blog

quote:

Right now I am working very actively on several games. First up is Plan Orange, which is Empire of the Sun set in a 1932 scenario. It is going to be published in c3i magazine with artwork by Mark Simonitch. This one is almost finished and I will be turning it into production next month.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

That's pretty exciting.

Also, Sun Tzu, a CDG about the Chinese warring states, that might be interesting.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

I haven't finished reading the EoTS rules yet because I am mega-lazy and I'll probably never get a chance to play it but I'm still likely going to get that c3i just for that. :toot:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Does anyone know anything about Triumph & Tragedy? It seems pretty interesting although it seemingly got overshadowed by Churchill.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Churchill is a loving Euro, and an insult to the great man's name.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

tomdidiot posted:

Churchill is a loving Euro, and an insult to the great man's name.

So you also haven't gotten your copy yet?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Does anyone know anything about Triumph & Tragedy? It seems pretty interesting although it seemingly got overshadowed by Churchill.

Triumph & Tragedy : A World at War :: Days Of Decision : World In Flames

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I only really know WiF well out of those 4 :v: How's Days of Decision like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

I only really know WiF well out of those 4 :v: How's Days of Decision like?

You know what, I was completely thinking of The Gathering Storm, not Triumph & Tragedy.

Days of Decision is a prequel political game (not so much a wargame) that can be linked with World in Flames, and The Gathering Storm does the same thing for A World At War.

TGS came out around the same time as T&T and Churchill, so I got confused.

Carry on!