Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
At Karnak, sitting on Knight and Time Mage right now. I'm farming dogs for rods before I move on. Should I go ahead and bite the bullet and get 99 of each?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

FrancoFish posted:

At Karnak, sitting on Knight and Time Mage right now. I'm farming dogs for rods before I move on. Should I go ahead and bite the bullet and get 99 of each?

Oh good lord no. Get your Knights two-handed, hold down A, and you're done with World 1. Get a few Frost Rods if you're worried about Liquid Flame.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Some Flame Rods for Byblos wouldn't go amiss either. That guy is a fucker with only physical classes (and Time Mage has no attack spells until world 2 wait, I think they get Demi/Gravity, and Byblos isn't Heavy, so there's that). Though that can probably wait until you know what your third job is.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bufuman posted:

Some Flame Rods for Byblos wouldn't go amiss either. That guy is a fucker with only physical classes (and Time Mage has no attack spells until world 2 wait, I think they get Demi/Gravity, and Byblos isn't Heavy, so there's that). Though that can probably wait until you know what your third job is.

one flame rod should get byblos into near death range and two should kill him outright. no need to go overboard

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Third job is Red Mage, so I'm glad I farmed so many loving rods afterall.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

FrancoFish posted:

Third job is Red Mage, so I'm glad I farmed so many loving rods afterall.

Anyone know if you can dualcast Meteor? Because that could get a bit ridiculous.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

djw175 posted:

Anyone know if you can dualcast Meteor? Because that could get a bit ridiculous.

You're thinking too small. Cast Quick, then quadcast Meteor.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

djw175 posted:

Yep, you can dualcast any Black, White, Time, and Summon magic (not Blue, sadly), as long as you have Dualcast and the appropriate magic type equipped (Dualcast on its own only gives normal Red magic, i.e. WhiteLv3+BlackLv3). This is why Mimes are so popular for your spellcasters, as it gives 3 commands instead of Fight+2, so you can go for poo poo like Dualcast/White/Summon, which is exactly as bonkers as it sounds.

And yes, you can also have Dualcasts with Quick and just chain spells forever.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I knew that Mute was set when you fought Minotaur, but I thought it didn't affect Blue magic. Turns out it does, and I had accidentally left Bone Mail on my Beastmaster, making me unable to revive him. I thought I might have to reset, thinking Blue Mage couldn't do enough damage from the back row with physicals, when it hit me. Wonder Wand!

It took almost two full cycles of Wonder Wand to take out Minotaur, mostly because Holy and Bio would heal him for about 2500 and about 1000 respectively, but the -aga spells and Flare did about 2500 themselves so I was never in danger of healing him too much. Plus Protect from the wand and the Blink spells were extremely helpful too. Took a while, but I'm definitely a fan of the Wonder Wand even outside of its "Cast Berserk on Shinryu" use.

Herux
Dec 1, 2013
My victory was accepted!!! on to round2! Next year I am going to play via an emulator because while the mobile version is great I can't skip through the "cutscenes" or do fun things like quick leak.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mountaineer posted:

You're thinking too small. Cast Quick, then quadcast Meteor.

Dualcast (Meteor/Quick), Dualcast (Meteor/Meteor)/Dualcast (Meteor/Meteor)

rocks fall, everyone dies

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kyrosiris posted:

Dualcast (Meteor/Quick), Dualcast (Meteor/Meteor)/Dualcast (Meteor/Meteor)

rocks fall, everyone dies

With enough Elixirs could you go...

1. Dualcast (Meteor/Quick)
2. Dualcast (Meteor/Meteor)
3. Dualcast (Meteor/Quick)
4. Elixir
5. GOTO 1

indefinitely?

Herux
Dec 1, 2013
Warrior/thief/blue/samurai All new jobs aside from the Blue! random run AWAY! Any good combos/things to look out for as i go? never had 3 of these jobs(mostly samurai)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Poque posted:

With enough Elixirs could you go...

1. Dualcast (Meteor/Quick)
2. Dualcast (Meteor/Meteor)
3. Dualcast (Meteor/Quick)
4. Elixir
5. GOTO 1

indefinitely?

Nah, you can't cast Quick while inside of a Quick, sadly.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kyrosiris posted:

Nah, you can't cast Quick while inside of a Quick, sadly.

That sucks. 20 meteors is not nearly enough.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
My first ever triple kill!

Chemist and summoner together are absurd. I've been pretty lucky with summoner rolls in the past, but I've never got to harness the power of the chemist. Heck for the final boss I just had to buff everyone's HP, drop some dragon powers on the zerkers and watch them roll Neo with some background support.

marioinblack fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 4, 2015

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Couldn't reliably kill Omega this time around, but after struggling to get somewhere with the fight I'm ultimately satisfied with what I've got. This time around I ran with Black Mage/White Mage/Red Mage/Samurai, seeing as how those were the jobs I'd not yet used. Black Mage was pretty fun overall, being able to throw around damage nearly everywhere. White Mage mostly became a place to shove other abilities before Holy came online, but was never unwanted due to the ability to heal and to apply buffs. Red Mage, well, fell off after the first world (as expected) but eventually gave the other two mages Dualcast (which was bonkers). And Samurai was consistently useful as a beatstick and a machine for Iainuki. Being able to tell random encounters to gently caress right off without even spending resources was just wonderful. :flashfact:

But at this point I've gotten a bit burned out on FF5, so I'll stop with my collection of 7 runs. Maybe at some point I'll handpick a team to get through the game and also take out the postgame dungeon, but oh well.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

NGDBSS posted:

Couldn't reliably kill Omega this time around, but after struggling to get somewhere with the fight I'm ultimately satisfied with what I've got. This time around I ran with Black Mage/White Mage/Red Mage/Samurai, seeing as how those were the jobs I'd not yet used. Black Mage was pretty fun overall, being able to throw around damage nearly everywhere. White Mage mostly became a place to shove other abilities before Holy came online, but was never unwanted due to the ability to heal and to apply buffs. Red Mage, well, fell off after the first world (as expected) but eventually gave the other two mages Dualcast (which was bonkers). And Samurai was consistently useful as a beatstick and a machine for Iainuki. Being able to tell random encounters to gently caress right off without even spending resources was just wonderful. :flashfact:

But at this point I've gotten a bit burned out on FF5, so I'll stop with my collection of 7 runs. Maybe at some point I'll handpick a team to get through the game and also take out the postgame dungeon, but oh well.

I feel like if I got this set of players I would just straight-up cheat and make two red mages at once while grinding for Dualcast. gently caress doing it twice consecutively.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Poque posted:

I feel like if I got this set of players I would just straight-up cheat and make two red mages at once while grinding for Dualcast. gently caress doing it twice consecutively.
Once I got Iainuki on one character (which was itself a chore), grinding in the Bal Castle basement became relatively easy. Two people with Iainuki made it a cakewalk. Plus, I'd specifically used the Job Fair for most of those jobs, as they were the only four I had not yet used in the Fiesta or in my practice run.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Does anyone have any clue where to look in the VBA memory viewer to see how much HP Omega has?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

Does anyone have any clue where to look in the VBA memory viewer to see how much HP Omega has?

0201F054, 16 bit.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

This is the easiest triple crown I've ever gotten. Omega was boring and long, but obviously Quickleak is easy (though it took me four tries before I could get it set up). Shinryu was trivialized by Beastmaster's Galajelly, and Golem made sure even if an attack did get through, I wouldn't die.

Exdeath was the easiest he's ever been on any run for me. Magic Lamp, and then I had Beastmaster release a Mover which went straight for the Almagest part, instantly killing it. Then the other three characters summoned Syldra while Beastmaster threw a couple of Elixirs and threw out the odd Aeroga, keeping up Mighty Guard and Golem meant I didn't really suffer any damage. Didn't even see Grand Cross at all.

I guess I've got one run left in me this year, five is a good number to end it at I think. I'll probably just do a normal run, if I do Chaos I'm likely to not finish if I get a bum team, and Random has less chance of that but I want to play around with earth jobs more and a regular run guarantees I'll get one.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Victory! :toot:

Level 40 party, although Reina was 38 thanks to the absence during the Pyramid. Almost exactly 26 hours of playtime, my final save is at 25:59.

I must have wiped as many times in the last dungeon as I did in the entire rest of the game. King Behemoths. Accidentally stepping on Omega's foot. Thinking I could safely fire up Mighty Guard for Shinryu and eating a 3500-damage Tidal Wave. Twin Tania not following the rules of not doing anything for a round before flipping out and killing everything. I even wiped to a random lone King Behemoth AFTER beating Shinryu but BEFORE beating Necrophobe and getting the save point. That was annoying, but at least Berserk/Blink is literally the third easiest way to beat a boss ever. (Easiest is having a boss vulnerable to L5 Death, second-easiest is teaching Azulmagia Self-Destruct. :getin:)

For those keeping track for donation purposes, this was my first Fiesta, and it's one for the Fartz pile, although that ship has definitely sailed.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

There's actually a list with a whole bunch of memory addresses out there, though some of them are admittedly educated guesses.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

NGDBSS posted:

There's actually a list with a whole bunch of memory addresses out there, though some of them are admittedly educated guesses.

The overwhelming majority are accurate. There's a few of the ?? ones that Can of Worms in IRC has figured out, like where the stats for Bard songs are stored:

quote:

[10:42:22] <~Kyrosiris> .bardaddresses
[10:42:23] <@CarbyBot> Song boosts are stored at 0x0201EE85/86/88/89 for Strength/Agility/Magic/Level!

So in case you ever want to check how far along your bard singing process is, peep those memory addresses (8-bit). They cap out at +100 (hex of 64).

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

So for whatever reason 0201EE87 is unused?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Kyrosiris posted:

The overwhelming majority are accurate. There's a few of the ?? ones that Can of Worms in IRC has figured out, like where the stats for Bard songs are stored:

So in case you ever want to check how far along your bard singing process is, peep those memory addresses (8-bit). They cap out at +100 (hex of 64).

Holy poo poo, these are actually quite awesome, though they feel a little cheaty. I'm sure after run #X that doesn't matter as much though.

As for my run, I decided to play the entire game with my full job setup as opposed to starting out with full freelancers or full time mages (already did a full whitemage and thief run to water crystal, don't want to do it again). It would have been pretty interesting to counter my weak bard and time mage's inability to do anything with the extra strength and armor from the samurai early on, but chemist's increased potion power kinda took the challenge away. I didn't even use mix! Still, I have the first katana and the first tier of time magic now, so I feel unstoppable. Maybe this time I'll actually try out most of the time mage's magic as opposed to just hasting, slowing, cometing.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

NGDBSS posted:

So for whatever reason 0201EE87 is unused?

Presumably that would deal with Vitality. Try poking it and seeing if Regen recovers more HP.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Edward_Tohr posted:

Presumably that would deal with Vitality. Try poking it and seeing if Regen recovers more HP.
After a bit of testing, it seems that 0201EE87 is in fact a !Song-based boost to Vitality. More specifically, setting it to 100 gives Regen values that would correspond to an effective Vitality of 99. But no bard song actually seems to increase it, so it's effectively a dummy value that may have once been used in the past. (Letting Mighty March influence it as well would be interesting, but honestly bards don't need the help given their ability to boost stats at about 1 per uninterrupted second.)

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Run #6: Team 750 - Blue Mage / Summoner / Bard / Dancer

Sixth win and fifth triple crown. So I finally broke my Job Fair hymen and used all the 750 jobs I've never tried in FJF. And boy oh boy, was this run easy. Chicken Knife Sword Dance is ridiculous. And as soon as I got Air Knives to go with Aeroga/Syldra it was pretty effortless. And what can I say about Hero's Rime that hasn't already been said about a tomahawk missile? poo poo just got wrecked.

Only job left is Dragoon, so I'm not all that pumped to re-reg anytime soon. Hopefully I'll sneak another one in by the end of the month.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Well that was weird, RK verified my Shinryu and Omega victories but not my NED victory, despite that being the first one I tweeted.

It shouldn't cause an issue if I tweet a victory again right?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Sometimes Gilgabot doesn't respond to a tweet. Have you checked the official website? If there's a star next to your name, your victory has been accepted.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Nah, I tweeted normal #victory first and got the "Your victory has been logged for processing!" message, then after that I tweeted the Omega/Shinryu victories. So I check today to see if they went through and my run has a heart and a gear, but no star. I double checked my imgur link in the victory tweet and it was the NED one, so dunno what happened there.

So yeah, just double checking that tweeting #victory again won't screw anything up.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Huh, that's weird. Sending the victory tweet again should be fine, I can't imagine how it could screw anything up.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Twelve by Pies posted:

Nah, I tweeted normal #victory first and got the "Your victory has been logged for processing!" message, then after that I tweeted the Omega/Shinryu victories. So I check today to see if they went through and my run has a heart and a gear, but no star. I double checked my imgur link in the victory tweet and it was the NED one, so dunno what happened there.

So yeah, just double checking that tweeting #victory again won't screw anything up.

It'll be fine. Was there anything ambiguous about your screenshot? He's usually pretty good about letting stuff slide but maybe yours came across oddly somehow.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Poque posted:

It'll be fine. Was there anything ambiguous about your screenshot? He's usually pretty good about letting stuff slide but maybe yours came across oddly somehow.

Shouldn't be, considering he took the other two, it was a few posts back.

I'll just retweet the victory then.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Well that was weird, RK verified my Shinryu and Omega victories but not my NED victory, despite that being the first one I tweeted.

It shouldn't cause an issue if I tweet a victory again right?

Same thing happened to me! I tweeted Omega, then Shinryu, then NED. Only the superbosses got processed. I'm tweeting the pic again too.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Twelve by Pies posted:

Shouldn't be, considering he took the other two, it was a few posts back.

I'll just retweet the victory then.

IT'S TOO AMBIGUOUS I CAN'T TELL

yeah just retweet, you'll be fine. :)

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Had horrible luck getting Aeroga. FYI Aegis blocked Aeroga from a crystal doesn't count as learned.

For some reason Metamorph that I tried learning it from before that (and just assumed it worked because why wouldn't it?!) didn't take either. So now third time is the charm... maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
Argh. I've never had this much trouble with W2 Exdeath before. I've got Monk, Red Mage, Geomancer, and Dancer. Party level is 29, gromancer has doublecast. My most consistent source of Damage is the RM bonking him on the head with a Light Staff. Anyone got a better idea than grinding for staffs to break in his face?

• Locked thread