Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Ryan Reynolds has significantly more charisma than Sam Worthington & co. I've never cared much about him but he always has a presence on screen, even if it's an annoying one.

also if the movie has that style of humor all the way through it is going to be awful as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
What's wrong with Taylor Kitsch? At the very least I don't find the dude offensively annoying like most of Reynolds' roles. Dude was basically fated to play the most irritatingly lame Marvel character possible ever since he displayed his chops in Blade Trinity. RR and Deadpool were made for each other, but I mean that in a bad way.
If you're asking me to choose between Bland McHunk or the Ryan Reynolds On-Screen Personality I'd honestly prefer the dude with no personality. That's just me tho.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TheFallenEvincar posted:

What's wrong with Taylor Kitsch?

he was okay in John Carter but his performance in this season of True Detective has been pretty awe-inspiringly terrible

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

he was okay in John Carter but his performance in this season of True Detective has been pretty awe-inspiringly terrible

He's the only good character on the show.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's Colin Farrell though

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I actually like Kitsch on True D, but I pretty much like him in everything. He's really, really good in The Normal Heart.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Febreeze posted:

also if the movie has that style of humor all the way through it is going to be awful as poo poo

It's absolutely going to. Every "that guy" you know who couldn't shut the gently caress up about Heath Ledger's Joker? They just found their new god if they weren't already aping him.

The trick is that there are actual genuine good Deadpool comics where a dark pathos belies all the idiocy, but this is Fox we're dealing with so there's a very low chance they'll access it over ill-advised attempts at "world-building" and the "we all know it's coming" Hugh Jackman cameo.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
He's also great in Friday Night Lights.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

mind the walrus posted:

The trick is that there are actual genuine good Deadpool comics where a dark pathos belies all the idiocy, but this is Fox we're dealing with so there's a very low chance they'll access it over ill-advised attempts at "world-building" and the "we all know it's coming" Hugh Jackman cameo.

The problem with the dark pathos of Deadpool is that I don't think it would make it into the trailer. There could very well be scenes in the movie where the Pagliacci aspect of Deadpool comes through, where you realize that the humor and nonsense is basically just covering up the pain, but the people expect wacky, zany Deadpool, so the trailer would need to be made to showcase that. I mean, I don't think that the director et al would actually have one of those moments of horrific self realization and reflection in the movie and I don't think Ryan Reynolds can actually pull that off, but I don't think I'd want to see it in the trailer if they did, so that that moment can actually land, instead of knowing that it's coming because it's in a trailer seen tens of times before the actual movie.

For some reason, typing that out reminds me of Rick and Morty, particularly when Rick has those rare lucid moments where his humanity breaks through his mad scientist persona. It even has the occasional fourth wall breaking moment.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

I actually like Kitsch on True D, but I pretty much like him in everything. He's really, really good in The Normal Heart.

Everybody was really good in that though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

bows1 posted:

He's also great in Friday Night Lights.

Well Ryan Reynolds is great in Just Friends if we're going to be doing this.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

kiimo posted:

Well Ryan Reynolds is great in Just Friends if we're going to be doing this.

whoa whoa whoa are you poo poo talking Friday Night Lights?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

What the....no. I've never seen it. And I also like everyone in True Detective this season.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

The problem with the dark pathos of Deadpool is that I don't think it would make it into the trailer. There could very well be scenes in the movie where the Pagliacci aspect of Deadpool comes through, where you realize that the humor and nonsense is basically just covering up the pain, but the people expect wacky, zany Deadpool, so the trailer would need to be made to showcase that. I mean, I don't think that the director et al would actually have one of those moments of horrific self realization and reflection in the movie and I don't think Ryan Reynolds can actually pull that off, but I don't think I'd want to see it in the trailer if they did, so that that moment can actually land, instead of knowing that it's coming because it's in a trailer seen tens of times before the actual movie.

For some reason, typing that out reminds me of Rick and Morty, particularly when Rick has those rare lucid moments where his humanity breaks through his mad scientist persona. It even has the occasional fourth wall breaking moment.

Yeah no poo poo dark pathos won't make it into the trailer, especially the first major trailer. You must think I'm really loving stupid. I was describing Deadpool's foundation as a counter-weight to the many jokes about how he's dogshit for dumb nerds, which he is but that in spite of that there is some genuine worth to the character.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah no poo poo dark pathos won't make it into the trailer, especially the first major trailer. You must think I'm really loving stupid.

Jesus Christ dude calm down.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

i mean, i'm of the opinion that there are no good characters on the show (not that that's his fault), but i still think he stands out as the easy pick for worst of a slate of generally not good performances.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Jesus Christ dude calm down.

I'm very calm, but you can tell yourself I'm not if it makes things easier.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

What's wrong with Taylor Kitsch? At the very least I don't find the dude offensively annoying like most of Reynolds' roles. Dude was basically fated to play the most irritatingly lame Marvel character possible ever since he displayed his chops in Blade Trinity. RR and Deadpool were made for each other, but I mean that in a bad way.
If you're asking me to choose between Bland McHunk or the Ryan Reynolds On-Screen Personality I'd honestly prefer the dude with no personality. That's just me tho.

I like both. Ryan Reynolds fits snugly into that category of "conventional frat-guy douchebag you feel like you should hate but is chummy and down-to-earth enough that you'd call him a buddy" while Taylor Kitsch is a few acting pressure-cookers and the right timing away from being an actual movie star.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ryan Reynolds is an actual movie star and has been for over a decade.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Ryan Reynolds had weird glasses in that one movie about the painting and it was really distracting.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i've never minded Reynolds. he's great in Adventureland, and gets one of the best line readings in Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

mind the walrus posted:

I'm very calm, you dumb bitch!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

kiimo posted:

What the....no. I've never seen it. And I also like everyone in True Detective this season.

Oh well then I guess I just dont understand your comment! My mistake

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

I'm very calm, you dumb bitch!

I didn't call him names.

kiimo posted:

Ryan Reynolds is an actual movie star and has been for over a decade.

Didn't mean to imply that he hadn't been. I'm kind-of glad he never got a megastar break too, being solid B-list for so long has kept him hungry and relatively humble.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i've never minded Reynolds. he's great in Adventureland, and gets one of the best line readings in Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle.

Adventureland is underrated as hell.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

You must think I'm really loving stupid.

Yup.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Good for you. You're wrong.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

You write really aggressive-style.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Actual Deadpool Trailer out.

Green band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONHBaC-pfsk
Red band (NSFW): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyKWUTwSYAs

Either Deadpool is terrible or I don't get Deadpool.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

ProfessorProf posted:

Possibly both! I'll be going to see it though. TJ Miller! :)

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
I'm on board. Looks like fun. TJ ripping on his face was ace though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'd definitely watch a TJ Miller Deadpool movie.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

ProfessorProf posted:

Is that...Colossus? Just outta nowhere?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
So is he a mutant in this or what? are they distancing this from the other x-men films?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Takes place in the Marvel universe, afaik. There's a rumored Jackman Wolverine cameo. Although Colossus appears to be played by a different actor than in the X-Men films.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

ProfessorProf posted:

"Don't make the suit green... or animated!"

What? How do you make a suit 'animated'? I get that they're ripping on Green Lantern but just "don't make it green" is enough.

Yeah, I don't know if this is for me. They did finally nail Colossus, though.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Dillbag posted:

Takes place in the Marvel universe, afaik. There's a rumored Jackman Wolverine cameo. Although Colossus appears to be played by a different actor than in the X-Men films.

That puts it in the X-Men movie universe, not the Marvel movie universe.

Though to be honest, both "universes" annoy me in opposite ways. The X-Men movies are so contradictory that they'd be better off not even pretending to be connected, while the Marvel movies are so obsessed with continuity they forget to have a story.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Wandle Cax posted:

So is he a mutant in this or what? are they distancing this from the other x-men films?

Comics spoilers He has regenerative powers, very similar to Wolverine's, but they were given to him in that facility. Can't remember if they were actually "stolen" from Wolverine, though. In the comics he spends a lot of time annoying/upsetting other Marvel characters - mostly the X-men or any of their sub-groups. Is afraid of the Punisher. One of his biggest dreams is/was joining X-men, if I recall correctly, even if he's not a mutant.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

davidspackage posted:

"Don't make the suit green... or animated!"

What? How do you make a suit 'animated'? I get that they're ripping on Green Lantern but just "don't make it green" is enough.

Yeah, I don't know if this is for me. They did finally nail Colossus, though.

If you've seen Green Lantern, the suit is bad looking CG.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Not sure why people will think is terrible when this is the exact Deadpool movie people have been asking for.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
yeah it seems extremely on point as far as the character goes. I guess the question is if the audience will like Deadpool as a character or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

PaganGoatPants posted:

Not sure why people will think is terrible when this is the exact Deadpool movie people have been asking for.

Answered your own question

• Locked thread