Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
http://playgowith.me/play/Mo2QRLPJsP2vSNTLa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Any good Go history books besides 400 years of Go in Japan?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Can Black capture at least White's three stones, saving Black's nine and three stones?

I think so but holy poo poo it gets nutty

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
haylee playing against the computer go tournament winner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka2ilmu7Eo4

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
this is pretty awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUAaHrFxskY

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
after being stuck at 10-11k on tygem for about a month, i go back to kgs and rank up to 8k in two games... i thought tygem players were supposed to be weaker than kgs?

anyway. got to avoid the hubris that a meaningless number next to my name gives me. arghghgh. help. i just know im going to get cocky and lose a half dozen games in a row due to aggressive overplays.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i dont understand how #1 is not seki

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
http://senseis.xmp.net/?BentFourInTheCornerIsDead

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
What level is this problem?

I have seen something like B t6 as a tesuji to avoid ko, but as far as I can tell Black doesn't need a special move to avoid ko here. That would mean this problem is only about B r2. Opinions?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
somehow i never understood 'bent four' until now

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Yeah I learned about that pretty recently too. Weird poo poo.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Check out this pro game for some crazy opening

https://badukmovies.com/pro_games/5940-sanno-hirotaka-kodama-kunio

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

rekt

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i got a golden trophy on ogs from a tournament that took over a year to complete. jesus christ.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
haylee playing nick live at us go congress right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1-8FuAyb3o

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
would this computer be able to brute force go? http://www.iflscience.com/technology/obama-orders-us-build-most-powerful-supercomputer-2025

(i dont know about computers)

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

uranus posted:

would this computer be able to brute force go? http://www.iflscience.com/technology/obama-orders-us-build-most-powerful-supercomputer-2025

like solving go? nah

playing a mean game that may put the best human player to shame? maybe I guess

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

uranus posted:

Brute force is almost never the way to go about things in algorithms, especially not games with combinatorial complexity of Go. This is why Monte Carlo methods have made breakthroughs. The only advantage a powerful computer offers is that it can calculate more in less time, which is a convenience. The power of a strong Go AI is down to the design of the program; technically a 486 could do exactly the same as Obama's SuperComputer, it's just it would take orders of magnitude longer

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

uranus posted:

A non-quantum computer is never going to be able to brute-force solve Go, I'm guessing (I didn't actually make the calculation, but what with factorial growth it's a pretty safe guess) the number of possible combinations in Go is probably larger by several orders of magnitude than even the number of atoms or even whichever kind of subatomic particle you care to name times the age of the universe divided by the Planck time. A quantum computer of sufficient size might in theory be able to do it by considering all the possibilities in parallel at once but I'm not sure it'll ever be possible to build such a thing, and if it was we'd have a whole bunch of other problems to worry about than solving Go like the fact that at that point you could break any possible encryption scheme that's ever been devised and it would quite literally be an oracle with which you could divine the future.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

PrBacterio posted:

A non-quantum computer is never going to be able to brute-force solve Go, I'm guessing (I didn't actually make the calculation, but what with factorial growth it's a pretty safe guess) the number of possible combinations in Go is probably larger by several orders of magnitude than even the number of atoms or even whichever kind of subatomic particle you care to name times the age of the universe divided by the Planck time. A quantum computer of sufficient size might in theory be able to do it by considering all the possibilities in parallel at once but I'm not sure it'll ever be possible to build such a thing, and if it was we'd have a whole bunch of other problems to worry about than solving Go like the fact that at that point you could break any possible encryption scheme that's ever been devised and it would quite literally be an oracle with which you could divine the future.

What about NTRU? I feel like that wasn't breakable using quantum, per se... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTRU#Resistance_to_quantum-computer-based_attacks

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

silvergoose posted:

What about NTRU? I feel like that wasn't breakable using quantum, per se... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTRU#Resistance_to_quantum-computer-based_attacks
Yeah I admit I was getting a bit hyperbolic there towards the end there in my attempt to stress the fact to what degree a functioning large-scale quantum computer would basically be the computing equivalent of a nuclear bomb to the existing information processing infrastructure we have right now, and it's not like such an advance would just come about all of a sudden and out of the blue with no advance warning or time to prepare for it. But my basic point that's relevant to this thread was just that the number of possible combinations in Go is far too great for it to ever be possible to find a complete, exhaustive solution with a classical computer, no matter how large.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

If I had a genie, I would ask for kifu of a solved game of go with 0 point komi and then release that kifu out to the public to see people criticise black's play.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

PrBacterio posted:

Yeah I admit I was getting a bit hyperbolic there towards the end there in my attempt to stress the fact to what degree a functioning large-scale quantum computer would basically be the computing equivalent of a nuclear bomb to the existing information processing infrastructure we have right now, and it's not like such an advance would just come about all of a sudden and out of the blue with no advance warning or time to prepare for it. But my basic point that's relevant to this thread was just that the number of possible combinations in Go is far too great for it to ever be possible to find a complete, exhaustive solution with a classical computer, no matter how large.

I was only plugging NTRU cause lattices are awesome, no worries. :3:

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

AdorableStar posted:

If I had a genie, I would ask for kifu of a solved game of go with 0 point komi and then release that kifu out to the public to see people criticise black's play.
Haha, that sounds awesome, and I have this hunch of a notion that perfect play probably starts with black's first move on Tengen so I can see the criticism starting from there.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

PrBacterio posted:

Haha, that sounds awesome, and I have this hunch of a notion that perfect play probably starts with black's first move on Tengen so I can see the criticism starting from there.

Black's use of random 11-4 and 6-9 points in the fuseki make us think he is a double digit kyu who has not learned basic fuseki theory, but his fighting skill in the middle game somehow made all of these moves flow together in creating one beautiful, well-constructed moyo.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Not even quantum computing would be able to tackle solving go, it's a way harder problem than prime factorization:

This diagram is wrong by the way, chess and go are actually even harder than pspace, they're exptime-complete.

AdorableStar posted:

lol

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

PrBacterio posted:

I'll be the first to toss this stone. The synergy between a stone and the edge of the board is greatest at the third and fourth lines. That's why the usual corner plays are so prized.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
http://gofordummies.blogspot.com

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Maybe we only play the corners because the corners are most studied.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Holy poo poo, I cannot believe I won this game which I by all rights should not have won on account of being one move away from dying everywhere. Yes I'm dicking around on ogs, but that doesn't excuse my lack of eyes. The middle left was also a case of :downs:

Lesson learned, the joseki in the lower left only applies to a 4-4 stone because then the cut to take my stone doesn't work. :downs:

http://eidogo.com/#xT57RlDQ

I'm pretty satisfied with the game from move 132 on though. White 196 at D19 too. Seriously, I had a ko to live in the top left.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 6, 2015

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

i think you should ruminate for many hours on how bad F17 is. congrats though!

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I'm going to need some opinions here about this game. http://eidogo.com/#3QdkDNn9h

B7 - Normally I don't like playing the large knight enclosure but I feel it either gives me an enclosure with free sente or an attack on white's splitting stone. If he had approached high I would've just taken profit and split the lower side in the middle to make sure he can't build much.

W8 - I didn't know what to do about it so I tenuki.

B11 - How do I respond to this cap? Anything I can think of after W12 makes it seem like white gets too good of a deal with influence. Was B11 even correct?

After W16 I know I made a mistake with double approaching.

B23 is dumb, he can just push right through.

W30 should be an atari on my stone to remove the eye? What am I gonna do, play this ko?

B43 was too slow, but I was worried about my life. I shouldn't be - it's not the focus of attention at the moment

B61 is made without reading. White's alive - there's nothing here.

B69 is where I want to know what I should be doing - I've played it out a bit (without reading, just playing) and it seems to be really complicated. I think B69 at Q14 then white P13 is a better sequence, but after this do I have a chance of killing if I continue to poke out his eyes rather than sealing him in? Sealing in is probably the proper thing to do before killing and I should be able to make use of it to attack the three space, but I just don't have that kind of confidence.

W94 - at this point I think I'm hosed but there's no way I'm not winning the ko.

W 96 - If white had connected himself I think I could hane to keep him sealed in and then it's just more complicated variations imo.

W120 begins the last things I have questions about. I know that this is bad for white, but I wonder if I should've responded like how I did. I know I get bad shape, but I thought it was ok because I mutilate his stone at top that was trying to pincer me and I also keep him separated.

B129 probably not needed, but where do I play? E3?

With W140 I was not paying attention to the cut anymore.

At B143 I decide to sacrifice it to make my moyo even bigger. I'm ahead by a fuckton, but if it were an even game then I'm not entirely sure.

I think at B159 some reviewers would say the game is over and stop commentating

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

quote:

I'm going to need some opinions here about this game. http://eidogo.com/#3QdkDNn9h

B7 - Normally I don't like playing the large knight enclosure but I feel it either gives me an enclosure with free sente or an attack on white's splitting stone. If he had approached high I would've just taken profit and split the lower side in the middle to make sure he can't build much.

I play this a lot but I just do the small enclosure. I can see what you were reaching at with the large one, but think about two things - first, the enclosure is easier to invade, and white already has a supporting stone, and second, N17 isn't a critical area to control. From white's perspective, g17 is much better than n17, so there won't be any rush to play there. Anyway, you just want to button down the top and be done with it.

quote:

W8 - I didn't know what to do about it so I tenuki.

This is what I meant with the small enclosure. White overextended here, but there's nothing for you to do but wait for later. (EDIT FROM FUTURE HELSBECTER: later never even came in this game! that's how boring this area of the board is. p17 supremacy)

quote:

B11 - How do I respond to this cap? Anything I can think of after W12 makes it seem like white gets too good of a deal with influence. Was B11 even correct?

It seems OK to me. Your invasion is too close, though - you need to go to a more open area.

quote:

After W16 I know I made a mistake with double approaching.

S5 seems like better shape than R5 here. You're going to have a hard time cutting, the way things stand.

quote:

B23 is dumb, he can just push right through.

Oh yeah, you got hosed up. S5 would have fixed that.

quote:

W30 should be an atari on my stone to remove the eye? What am I gonna do, play this ko?

I think white should atari. There's no reason for you to start the ko - you just extend and settle yourself.

quote:

B43 was too slow, but I was worried about my life. I shouldn't be - it's not the focus of attention at the moment

Your moves leading up to this are very small-minded. B33 is not a good peep, B35 could have extended much further, and B37 was provoking an attack on yourself. Maybe O10 for B33? Looks exciting.

quote:

B61 is made without reading. White's alive - there's nothing here.

B57 at O18 is much more sente. Seems like you could set up some horseshit in the corner rather easily.

quote:

B69 is where I want to know what I should be doing - I've played it out a bit (without reading, just playing) and it seems to be really complicated. I think B69 at Q14 then white P13 is a better sequence, but after this do I have a chance of killing if I continue to poke out his eyes rather than sealing him in? Sealing in is probably the proper thing to do before killing and I should be able to make use of it to attack the three space, but I just don't have that kind of confidence.

I'd have played N14 instead of connecting for B71. Once white gets it, things are too easy because of r12.

quote:

W94 - at this point I think I'm hosed but there's no way I'm not winning the ko.

White was dumb, it would have been better to just play L17 and connect.

quote:

W120 begins the last things I have questions about. I know that this is bad for white, but I wonder if I should've responded like how I did. I know I get bad shape, but I thought it was ok because I mutilate his stone at top that was trying to pincer me and I also keep him separated.

B121 absolutely should have been at D3. There's no way white wouldn't have responded at c3 - then you can atari and come back to b7. You want to get all those moves in, since this is white's only open area.

quote:

B129 probably not needed, but where do I play? E3?

B129 seems OK

quote:

With W140 I was not paying attention to the cut anymore.

loving directly with the cutting stone was not a good idea. If you had avoided it (say d8) I think you could have done better.

quote:

At B143 I decide to sacrifice it to make my moyo even bigger. I'm ahead by a fuckton, but if it were an even game then I'm not entirely sure.

I don't think the sacrifice was necessary.

quote:

I think at B159 some reviewers would say the game is over and stop commentating

It's been over for a while

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I've added some variations to go with what you were talking about. http://eidogo.com/#43gOlYMWi

B35 should be here? I don't understand how B37 provokes and attack on myself - should I play p13 instead?

Added variation at B71 for how I think to kill if white tries to cut.

Added variation at W94 for how to live

What do I do if W126 in my variation? Up to the W132 I expect it doesn't seem to good.

Your B 143 looks very nice once I see it on the board.

e: W96 in my variation from white's L17 double atari doesn't actually connect himself. What did I miss? http://eidogo.com/#1UtH5lkiS

e2: this leads to a complicated capturing race that I think I can win.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 8, 2015

phi kappa FUCKBALLS
Jul 24, 2010

Someone invite me to the ogs group

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Done

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

AdorableStar posted:

I've added some variations to go with what you were talking about. http://eidogo.com/#43gOlYMWi

B35 should be here? I don't understand how B37 provokes and attack on myself - should I play p13 instead?

I'm thinking like this -

You have to move your group out in a way that doesn't force you to take gote to stabilize the bottom. That means not provoking white to split them - just get out into the center quickly. I thought the move in the picture was interesting because white O10, etc. just seems to make him heavy.

quote:

What do I do if W126 in my variation? Up to the W132 I expect it doesn't seem to good.

You've gone in the wrong order. You need to play that atari at D5 right away so when W126 comes, you can sacrifice the stone for complete safety.

quote:

e: W96 in my variation from white's L17 double atari doesn't actually connect himself. What did I miss? http://eidogo.com/#1UtH5lkiS

e2: this leads to a complicated capturing race that I think I can win.

If white grabs S11 after throwing in up top, you lose the race. If you grab S11, he has time to link up and live.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Played Go in person. Felt great. I have some questions from the games: http://eidogo.com/#48xWB20p4

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Good discussion about why 4,4 is popular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME0SQK_5BNY

Kinda interesting, because it kinda makes the point that developments in fuseki are more about responding to the current trend and manipulating that rather than perfecting the theory. I guess...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

And actually looking at the first 16 moves it takes cohones to have Fujisawas position because Black is all over that board. Classic battle of territory against development