Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

My Lovely Horse posted:

So what's the gameplan here? 95% of a smartphone's functions are plain not going to work without the networks in place. Whatever works locally is going to last as long as the battery does. Reverse engineering? The way these things are glued together taking it apart has a good chance of destroying it, and you couldn't reproduce one anyway with 1980s (?) production technology. About the only thing you could do is carefully study every aspect of it for as long as it works, then dedicate your life to becoming an engineer and being the first to have the idea. Or just buy as many stocks as you can in whatever company has its logo on the back.

I bet they'll play around with it until the battery dies, then try to charge it using 120v AC power. Poof! Historical paradox averted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Patent everything in the interface.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

So what's the gameplan here? 95% of a smartphone's functions are plain not going to work without the networks in place. Whatever works locally is going to last as long as the battery does. Reverse engineering? The way these things are glued together taking it apart has a good chance of destroying it, and you couldn't reproduce one anyway with 1980s (?) production technology. About the only thing you could do is carefully study every aspect of it for as long as it works, then dedicate your life to becoming an engineer and being the first to have the idea. Or just buy as many stocks as you can in whatever company has its logo on the back.

The battery has the voltage printed right on it, so as long as you aren't a total moron you can keep using it with a normal voltage supply

Nevets posted:

I bet they'll play around with it until the battery dies, then try to charge it using 120v AC power. Poof! Historical paradox averted.

So yeah this.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The Tiffany/Gunther arc is probably just a way to get back to the status quo with Rosa - but not before she battles Tiff for Gunther's heart, because Luann loves to reward lovely people.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Nevets posted:

That's a thought. "Get the hammer. This barrel plug isn't fitting into the charger hole."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

She called him "Study Buddy" when she came in, so that might be a clue, but whatever. Tiff's a bitch for spontaneously coming over to visit. Mom's a bitch for loving Mr. Grey instead of Gunther being mothery. WOMEN ARE THE WORST.
Gunther's holding hands with a woman :supaburn:

Taear posted:

So when roughly did Dick Tracey stop being about people with thalydomide poisoning?
Please do not make fun of Dick Locher's art.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tunicate posted:

The battery has the voltage printed right on it, so as long as you aren't a total moron you can keep using it with a normal voltage supply
They're definitely going to fry the thing by plugging it in incorrectly then.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Ghostlight posted:

Gunther's holding hands with a woman :supaburn:

Look at her eyebrows in the last panel. This is going to be one of those "She's attracted to him because he is the only man to never pursue her" things. Especially since Gunther is now so anti-social with his stubble and black untucked shirt but still a really nice guy cause he doesn't try anything with her even though she wants hi:suicide:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Slammy posted:

Thank you! As that's downloading - looks like Fritzi had some rarebit herself (1931, click for big):

Those Martians are really Groening-y

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mokotow posted:

The Tiffany/Gunther arc is probably just a way to get back to the status quo with Rosa - but not before she battles Tiff for Gunther's heart, because Luann loves to reward lovely people.
Gunther is the only one of the three that seems lovely but he's just immature and has mommy issues. Frankly that three-some barely stands up to Luann's douchebag counselor friend, who does nothing but poo poo on her every chance she gets. And Brad. gently caress Brad.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spiderdrake posted:

Gunther is the only one of the three that seems lovely but he's just immature and has mommy issues. Frankly that three-some barely stands up to Luann's douchebag counselor friend, who does nothing but poo poo on her every chance she gets. And Brad. gently caress Brad.

Yeah, Rosa was a "good" character in Luann but unlike most protagonists she was actually a decent (if incredibly dumb, giving up her chance to go to college to go do volunteer work that, quite frankly, probably doesn't help as much as her being there, eating food, and using other resources costs the people there) person. Also not 100% white if I recall correctly, so she had to be written out of the comic, much like Delta.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (August 6, 1957)

Peanuts: Year Three (January 5-7, 1953)

Out Our Way (August 29-30, 1927)

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (August 29-30, 1927)

This is so accurate it's hilarious.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Apologies if this has been posted before but I found a fingerpori archive - I hadn't seen it before so there might be others who haven't!
http://www.expat-finland.com/living_in_finland/fingerpori.html

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban

9 Chickweed Lane 8/5/2004

I still think this is kind of disturbing.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

Ok now, that's just bad.

Mark Trail

♬ When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie... ♬

♬ That's a-mor.. ♬

Oh nevermind. :v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Doesn't matter what he does, he'll still lose.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Bloom County 2015

Skippy, in which Uncle Louie's presidential bid runs into money troubles. (June 6, 1928)

Peanuts, in which it's all about perspective. (August 7, 1968)

Funky PutUsOutOfOurMiseryAlreadyBean

Dude had one of those Doctor Who phones and he just gave it away. Figures.

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 31-September 1, 1927)

Thimble Theater (February 21, 1929)

Ohhhhh, nononononono.

It's 1929, and there's no way in hell any of us thought we'd get off that easily, at least this early on.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

That is such low hanging edit-fruit that it loops back around through the earths core and back out the otherside.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Dear god in heaven. This is amazing. Enjoying Popeye's debut I just wasn't expecting it. Jesus.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

greatn posted:

Dear god in heaven. This is amazing. Enjoying Popeye's debut I just wasn't expecting it. Jesus.

I pretty much want Popeye to just leave the three of them on that island, and him and the whiffle bird go off on adventures.
My head canon is thats how he got that attic full of pirate treasure. Popeye needs someone decent. Olive has been a shrew since day 1.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Johnny Aztec posted:

I pretty much want Popeye to just leave the three of them on that island, and him and the whiffle bird go off on adventures.
My head canon is thats how he got that attic full of pirate treasure. Popeye needs someone decent. Olive has been a shrew since day 1.

Olives only experience with him is him grabbing her and taking her topside to rat her out, then holding her prisoner at her rear end in a top hat brother's bequest, then rubbing the chicken raw and beating up her other brother. Note of course he was completely justified in all those actions, but she didn't know that.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

I love it when this strip is thematically appropriate for the forum.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Pros & Cons

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Thought I'd share this page of comics I found used as padding while unboxing china from my mother's first wedding. Apologies for the heavy wrinkling, I tried weighing the pages down and stretching them, and this was the best I could get.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Seems like the guy from The Dripples would be really into big sandwiches if you catch my drift.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Darthemed posted:

Thought I'd share this page of comics I found used as padding while unboxing china from my mother's first wedding. Apologies for the heavy wrinkling, I tried weighing the pages down and stretching them, and this was the best I could get.

drat... now I need to know about this orbiting money! Thanks for those! '66, I was a whopping 4 years old, pretty much ready for kindergarten, so I wasn't really reading the comics. :corsair: My grandparents used to read them to me a few years later though.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

I like how Greg was clearly trying to think of the dumbest classes to take ever without going the old "underwater basket weaving" route and ended up with two subjects where a solid background in either could lead to a very nice career.

Also there's something about Gunther's look that never doesn't remind me of Kirk Cameron these days.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

I like how Greg was clearly trying to think of the dumbest classes to take ever without going the old "underwater basket weaving" route and ended up with two subjects where a solid background in either could lead to a very nice career.

Also there's something about Gunther's look that never doesn't remind me of Kirk Cameron these days.

To be fair, Advanced Arabic when you haven't taken introductory is in fact a bad course :v:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

I'm choosing to believe Ted's original word balloon read "flipping off the sun".

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I want to take a welding class.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set doesn't mind a long commute.

Working Daze made this "joke" already.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix knows what happens when you assume.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Oh man, "Eek and Meek".

One interesting thing is that, while the characters all started out as mice, the cartoonist decided to change them to humans later on.

I have a stack of 1970s and 1980s Sunday comics from Chicago Sun-Times. I posted a bunch here a year or two ago, but if anyone's interested, I can scan some more stuff.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 5, 2015

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tambaloneus posted:

Apologies if this has been posted before but I found a fingerpori archive - I hadn't seen it before so there might be others who haven't!
http://www.expat-finland.com/living_in_finland/fingerpori.html
Strangely they have included in the official translations one that loses much of the double meaning in English:

The chess piece which in English is called knight is horse in Finnish. Meanwhile the act which is capturing in English is eating in Finnish. Ie. "black pawn eats white horse". This translation just doesn't work.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

I want to take a welding class.

Ist can be surprisingly fun!
But most metal/woodworking tasks are fun when you have someone to help you who knows what he's doing and some good tools.

Of course it helps if you don't expect some great masterpiece on your first tries and just enjoy tearing up some stuff with some awesome machines.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Stone carving is also really fun. Most of the practical craft skills are if you're not being bothered by things like "being paid for it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah I like soldering random electronic things for no reason. It comes in handy with guitars and things where you can replace a shoddy op-amp in a pedal (really common, actually) to reduce noise or change around the circuit for the knobs on the guitar to do a different thing.

Hobbies is cool.

• Locked thread