Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

http://wingolog.org/archives/2015/08/04/developing-v8-with-guix

... or, i don't know, you could not run a bleeding-edge distribution release on a machine you depend on to do your job

or we could develop OSes with a better strategy than "lol iunno"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Suspicious Dish posted:

or we could develop OSes with a better strategy than "lol iunno"

lol iunno has served us well for the entire history of computing, why change now

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mr Dog posted:

... or, i don't know, you could not run a bleeding-edge distribution release on a machine you depend on to do your job

"release" is a strong word to use for something that's basically "here this compiled and uploaded"

also that explains why my web server on my puttering-around machine died and came back

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

ruby idiot railed posted:

my puttering-around machine

lennart!!!!!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr Dog posted:

is guix even allowed to reference clang? shouldn't it just spit out "use GCC" whenever it sees that?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

quote:

GNU Guix comes with a visual user interface for GNU Emacs, known as “guix.el”.

:frog::frog::frog::frog::frog::frog::frog:

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

tbh i prefer to compile my window manager from source and spend hours reading through a "self-describing" config file.

wait people don't compile everything from source?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
I compile fvwm and emacs from source, occasionally python too. stick with binary packages for most other things tho

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
If you're compiling things by hand just to get an up to date version on a stable distro, you should probably use Nix (on top of your existing OS) instead.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
i guess i could learn a whole new complicated package management system, yeah. or alternatively i could just carry on doing configure --prefix=/opt/$PROGRAM-$VERSION which works just fine in a personal desktop context.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Ralith posted:

If you're compiling things by hand just to get an up to date version on a stable distro, you should probably use Nix (on top of your existing OS) instead.

yeah or install apple operating system x 10.10.4 yosemite and use brew. then you have up to date utils AND a non-poo poo os. basically no way you can lose

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

pram posted:

yeah or install apple operating system x 10.10.4 yosemite and use brew. then you have up to date utils AND a non-poo poo os. basically no way you can lose
Nix supports OSX and is substantially less terrible than brew

Soricidus posted:

i guess i could learn a whole new complicated package management system, yeah. or alternatively i could just carry on doing configure --prefix=/opt/$PROGRAM-$VERSION which works just fine in a personal desktop context.
Binaries and dependencies are nice

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol a real nix evangelist

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
why doesnt pulseaudio or alsamixer remember my settings. what am i doing wrong.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

2016 year of sound on the linux desktop?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Smythe posted:

wrong distro

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Smythe posted:

Smythe posted:

pulseaudio

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
pulse audio is fine these days, its poo poo distros based on ubuntu or ubuntu itself that have hosed up pulseaudio settings

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
i wouldn't know tbh, i haven't had pulseaudio installed for years because it had its chance and it blew it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Celexi posted:

pulse audio is fine these days, its poo poo distros based on ubuntu or ubuntu itself that have hosed up pulseaudio settings

my mic has some lovely static on it. idk. works fine on other computers. prolly this epic gaming rigs audio jack fail. whatever. so i turn down the volume on it or whatever so it goes down beneath the noise floor. or something. it doesnt stay down there. not even in tjhe same session. even if im using the computer the whole time. i literally do not understand what im doing wrong.

ubuntu gnome

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
does it do the same on windows?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
also. i use zoiper because im too cheap to order another voip office phone for my desk. whatever. noprofit lifestyle. well. the zoiper icon is huge. were talkig xbox huge

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Celexi posted:

does it do the same on windows?

it only has static on this laptop. it must be the port. dunno on windows on this computer as i dont have it installed. when i had it in a vm i think it made the noise tho. i should try with a win10 install or something just for curiosity sake

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
yeah sounds like a port or some interference on the laptop

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Smythe posted:

also. i use zoiper because im too cheap to order another voip office phone for my desk. whatever. noprofit lifestyle. well. the zoiper icon is huge. were talkig xbox huge

ahahahahahahahahahahahha

use cent or fedora i guess

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Smythe posted:

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

bobbilljim posted:

ahahahahahahahahahahahha

use cent or fedora i guess

i like the big icon. big icon ftw

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
that icon size is just ridiculous!

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

sounds like permissions hosed up maybe

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
check where your asound.state is and what group owns it, it might be in /etc or /var/lib/alsa or something who the gently caress knows

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if you were using kde it would Just Work

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Soricidus posted:

I compile fvwm and emacs from source, occasionally python too. stick with binary packages for most other things tho

I would bootstrap Genera from source if I had it and a sufficiently fast emulator (OpenGenera on modern hardware might be fast enough)

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you were using kde it would Just Work
kmix is poo poo with pulse unfortunently

like, really poo poo goddamn

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Every IDE I tried to install today so I could do some debugging crashed.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I'm still afraid to re-install steam for linux.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i been using steam for linux for over a year and the only complaint i have of it is having to edit the usr/bin steam file to make it hide in tray instead of minimizing

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
it was me.

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/15/01/16/1429201/steam-for-linux-bug-wipes-out-all-of-a-users-files

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
thank god for the could or I would have been properly hosed and lost just about everything.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
<3 selinux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
ALthough other people were like oh yeah, everything in my home directory dissappeared, but I thought that was a normal use case for linux on the desktop so I didn't file a bug.