Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Tossing in some other recommendations for classics:

Van der Graaf Generator - H to He, Who Am the Only One
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
Renaissance - Scheherazade and Other Stories
Magma - Mëkanïk Dëstruktïẁ Kömmandöh
Electric Light Orchestra - Eldorado

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

^^^E: Thanks! I'm throwing together a playlist of albums on google play to work through :)

Iucounu posted:

Here is a concise list of important progressive bands and one album you should listen to by them:

Yes- Fragile
Jethro Tull- Aqualung
Genesis- Selling England By the Pound
Rush- Moving Pictures
Gentle Giant- Octopus
Frank Zappa- Hot Rats
Camel- Mirage
Caravan- In the Land of Grey and Pink

Those are listed roughly in order of radness so start at the beginning. If a particular band speaks to you ask for more suggestions from their discographies. The kingdom of prog is fraught with land mines and turds released by otherwise great bands.

You are a bolder man than I, to give Zappa a genre. I already know Hot Rats quite well, I'll give the others a listen (and probably Hot Rats too because Hot Rats). That is also exactly the type of list I was hoping for, thanks! I just threw Fragile on streaming. I'm definitely familiar with Yes and Rush on an individual song level, but I don't know that I've ever listened to a whole album by either of them.

Just finished listening to Fragile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af8ltlcZNi0&feature=youtu.be&t=1m10s

(But seriously I'm excited to listen to the next stuff, that was really enjoyable)

surc fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 31, 2015

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

Tossing in some other recommendations for classics:

Van der Graaf Generator - H to He, Who Am the Only One
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
Renaissance - Scheherazade and Other Stories
Magma - Mëkanïk Dëstruktïẁ Kömmandöh
Electric Light Orchestra - Eldorado

These are solid picks as well.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

surc posted:

^^^E: Thanks! I'm throwing together a playlist of albums on google play to work through :)

Add some Italian prog to that.

Semiramis - Dedicato a Frazz
Maxophone - s/t
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Io Sono Nato Libero
Premiata Forneria Marconi - Per Un Amico
Osanna - Palepoli

for starters. One of the most dependable countries for good prog.

If you want something weird but very fun, Koenjihyakkei - Angherr Shisspa is a good way into more avant-garde prog. If you want to hear a really good supergroup effort with Allan Holdsworth on guitar, U.K. - s/t.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

You might also want to listen to some krautrock, like Neu! or Can or Faust or all the other usual suspects. You've also got cool RIO stuff like Henry Cow or Art Zoyd.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Add some Italian prog to that.

Semiramis - Dedicato a Frazz
Maxophone - s/t
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Io Sono Nato Libero
Premiata Forneria Marconi - Per Un Amico
Osanna - Palepoli

for starters. One of the most dependable countries for good prog.

imo the best italian prog is Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra. Area are also extremely good although more similar to a lot of the RIO bands than symphonic prog.

A human heart fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 31, 2015

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Listened to Aqualung after Fragile before going to bed last night. My previous Jethro Tull experience has been through Guitar Hero and people going "DUDE CHECK OUT THIS SWEET JETHRO TULL SOLO", so this was something of a revelation and I really dug it. I didn't mind the switch to less synthy stuff from Yes, in fact it worked really well as a follow up. I totally would have put Jethro Tull off until way later on my own based on my preconceptions, I bow to your organization of builiding radness, Iucounu.

A human heart posted:

You might also want to listen to some krautrock, like Neu! or Can or Faust or all the other usual suspects. You've also got cool RIO stuff like Henry Cow or Art Zoyd.

Gotta be honest, if a recommendation is for an artist without an album, I'm just gonna ignore it at this point. I really appreciate it and will try and check them out down the line, but there's just so much stuff out there that I need to start more focused or I'll never get anywhere. I did throw Zarathusa onto my playlist though, thanks! :) Also, does RIO stand for Real Instrument Orchestral or something similar? Never seen it before but I'd assume since it's contrasted to synths.

Google Play doesn't have the Magma album, the Camel album, or a couple of the italian ones recommended by Gamma Nerd (All Access my rear end!), but other than that....

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Continue along on your prog journey, but since you liked Yes and Jethro Tull the next albums from those bands you should check out are: The Yes Album and Close to the Edge (Yes) and Thick as a Brick (Tull).

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

IMO a good Yes album to start with is Yessongs, since it contains better versions of most of the tunes from Close to the Edge, The Yes Album, and Fragile

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

That's a good point, but I feel like I appreciate killer live versions of tunes more when I've fully digested the studio versions.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

surc posted:

Also, does RIO stand for Real Instrument Orchestral or something similar? Never seen it before but I'd assume since it's contrast to synths.

Nah, it's Rock in Opposition. It's sort of a hard style to define, but it tends to be really cerebral, often dissonant, and influenced by modern classical chamber music. It started out as a group of bands (led by Henry Cow) who were fed up with the music industry not recognizing them, but the overall stylistic similarities, combined with the addition of more bands to the roster, made it a more recognizable style, so some modern bands like Yugen get tagged with the term, as well as anything Fred Frith of Henry Cow is involved in.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

surc posted:

I'm just diving into prog rock, and could use some guidance. I have a copy of Brain Salad Surgery I picked up back in the day, and I've liked the prog stuff I've heard around. I've got some King Crimson on the way, any other consensus on where a good place to start is, or is it going to be 50 different answers from 50 different people? I tried reading the start of the thread to get some idea, but that was most definitely everybody recommending different personal faves.

I'm generally pretty laid back in my musical tastes, I'd prefer stuff a little more synthy compared to just slightly more improv-y rock.

If you want to listen to an awesome live prog album I recommend Genesis - Seconds Out. Still one of my favorite live albums of all time.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Gamma Nerd posted:

Nah, it's Rock in Opposition. It's sort of a hard style to define, but it tends to be really cerebral, often dissonant, and influenced by modern classical chamber music. It started out as a group of bands (led by Henry Cow) who were fed up with the music industry not recognizing them, but the overall stylistic similarities, combined with the addition of more bands to the roster, made it a more recognizable style, so some modern bands like Yugen get tagged with the term, as well as anything Fred Frith of Henry Cow is involved in.

Gentle Giant also briefly went in a RIO direction with Interview, which I still consider the greatest thing they ever did, and one of the best progressive rock albums of all time. Be sure to check it out if you really like Knots, once you get around to listening to Octopus.

Also Gryphon's Red Queen to Gryphon Three was one of the albums that really got me into progressive rock as a genre, and I highly recommend it if instrumental prog with a medieval folk influence sounds interesting to you. Their first two albums (although less prog) are excellent too, and I've never heard a rendition of The Unquiet Grave I like more than theirs.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Yeah I love Interview, I've listened to their whole discog except The Missing Piece, Civilian and Giant for a Day. And I would definitely back up that Gryphon rec, amazing band.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Interview is a great album. My introduction to GG was that and Free Hand (another great album, and their only one to chart in the US if I'm not mistaken) on a CD together.

A buddy of mine uploaded this video of them performing "Proclamation" featuring John Weathers basically being the sexiest drummer alive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWfmfgHXAfE

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

surc posted:

Gotta be honest, if a recommendation is for an artist without an album, I'm just gonna ignore it at this point. I really appreciate it and will try and check them out down the line, but there's just so much stuff out there that I need to start more focused or I'll never get anywhere.

Henry Cow - Legend
Art Zoyd - Symphonie pour le jour ou brul
Area - Arbeit Macht Frei
Can - Future Days
Faust - Faust IV
Neu! - Neu! 2

I don't think you'll find the RIO bands or Area on a streaming app, but I might be wrong.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

spiralbrain posted:

If you want to listen to an awesome live prog album I recommend Genesis - Seconds Out. Still one of my favorite live albums of all time.

On the note of live albums, Hawkwind's Space Ritual. Noodle-y in spots, but great energy.

I'll also throw in Curved Air's Phantasmagoria, Genesis' Nursery Cryme and Hawkwind's The Hall of the Mountain Grill.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Saw Aristocrats last night here in Toronto. Marco Minnemann is a true monster. I've seen him drum for a couple acts (normally SW) but playing his own music was another level of insanity behind the kit.

Only minuses were weak opening acts (really expected more from Travis Larson) and the burnout standing next to me who talked all the time *during* songs to his friend. I asked him to stop but he declared he wasn't 'a sheep at concerts'. Sigh.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

Iucounu posted:

Here is a concise list of important progressive bands and one album you should listen to by them:

Yes- Fragile
Jethro Tull- Aqualung
Genesis- Selling England By the Pound
Rush- Moving Pictures
Gentle Giant- Octopus
Frank Zappa- Hot Rats
Camel- Mirage
Caravan- In the Land of Grey and Pink

Those are listed roughly in order of radness so start at the beginning. If a particular band speaks to you ask for more suggestions from their discographies. The kingdom of prog is fraught with land mines and turds released by otherwise great bands.

I'd throw Roxy Music's first two albums into the list, as well. To me at least, the link between glam/art/prog rock is similar enough that I consider them among this ilk. Also, despite Ian Anderson's best efforts they still lay claims to 'best use of flute in rock' via Virginia Plain. And yes, I know this group had a bigger influence on punk than later prog but I digress.

Also seconding Hot Rats. It's one of the few Zappa albums I can actually listen to even though I have a lot of respect for him.

Other bands/albums that aren't listed/not necessarily considered prog but are in fact prog: Traffic (any album post-Blind Faith), Television (Marquee Moon)

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 2, 2015

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Prog rock 101

King Crimson

In The Court of the Crimson King
In the Wake of Poseidon
Lizard
Islands
Larks Tongues in Aspic
Starless and Bible Black
Red
USA
Discipline
Absent Lovers
Thrak
The Power to Believe

Yes

The Yes Album
Fragile
Close to the Edge
Yessongs
Tales From Topographic Oceans
Relayer
Going For the One

Jethro Tull

Benefit
Aqualung
Thick as a Brick
A Passion Play
Warchild
Minstrel In the Gallery

Pink Floyd

Meddle
Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall

Genesis

Trespass
Nursery Cryme
Foxtrot
Selling England By the Pound
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
A Trick of The Tale
Wind and Wuthering

Emerson Lake & Palmer

Emerson Lake & Palmer
Tarkus
Pictures at an Exhibition
Trilogy
Brain Salad Surgery

These are "The big 6" prog rock bands IMO. By that I mean the most popular ones that came to define the genre in the 70s. That's not to say they were the first. Bands like The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Frank Zappa and The Moody Blues were probably the truly "first" prog rock bands in the 60s, not to mention all the psychedelic rock bands in LA like Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, and the jam bands like Grateful Dead and The Allman Bros Bands that sort of represented the spirit of prog rock before it became a thing. Progressive Rock came more out of British psychedelia though (the term was first coined in 1966 in reference to bands that played the UFO club). But I think the above six were the most popular prog rock bands that came to define the genre in the early 70s.

Other honorable mentions include Rush, Renaissance, Gentle Giant, Strawbs, Electric Light Orchestra, Nektar, Hawkwind, Traffic, Kansas, Chicago, David Bowie, Roxy Music, Blood Sweat and Tears, Led Zeppelin, The Nice, Queen, The Who, Fairport Convention, Magma, Caravan, Focus, Camel, Curved Air, Van Der Graaf Generator, Mike Oldfield, and many others that I can't think of off the top of my head. And that's only the first two waves or so.

Part of the difficulty of pinning down prog bands is that prog isn't really a genre, it's more of a movement to push pop/rock music beyond established boundaries. It only became identified with a sound after the fact, but every time someone tries to pin down "a sound" it goes and changes again. There was another wave in the late 70s (called new wave strangely enough, a lot of the old prog rock bands adopted the new wave sound in the early 80s too). Then again in the early 80s there was sort of reactionary neo-prog wave and the progressive metal wave sort of came with it (even though it was kind of always around the heavier prog that was played in the late 60s and 70s by most bands, just never really made into its own subgenre until the 80s). Then there was the alternative genre which preceded the whole indie rock scene which was very reminiscent of prog. Post Rock also has a lot of prog leanings.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 5, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Is there like a late period proggy Blood Sweat & Tears I missed?

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

BigFactory posted:

Is there like a late period proggy Blood Sweat & Tears I missed?

I think their second self titled album was very progressive for its time (1968). It ran the gamut of different musical styles and it's bookended nicely by the classically inspired "Variations on a theme".

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

rest his guts posted:

Traffic (any album post-Blind Faith)

If anyone here hasn't cranked the John Barleycorn Must Die LP, they are missing the gently caress out.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Gianthogweed posted:

I think their second self titled album was very progressive for its time (1968). It ran the gamut of different musical styles and it's bookended nicely by the classically inspired "Variations on a theme".

I guess it's the same progressive vs prog rock argument. I love that album but it's hard to put it on the same shelf as Topographic Oceans or something.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

BigFactory posted:

I guess it's the same progressive vs prog rock argument. I love that album but it's hard to put it on the same shelf as Topographic Oceans or something.

It was American prog of 1968 which was a very different landscape from British prog of 1974.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Gianthogweed posted:

Prog rock 101

King Crimson

In The Court of the Crimson King
In the Wake of Poseidon
Lizard
Islands
Larks Tongues in Aspic
Starless in Bible Black
Red
USA
Discipline
Absent Lovers
Thrak
The Power to Believe

Yes

The Yes Album
Fragile
Close to the Edge
Yessongs
Tales From Topographic Oceans
Relayer
Going For the One

Jethro Tull

Benefit
Aqualung
Thick as a Brick
A Passion Play
Warchild
Minstrel In the Gallery

Pink Floyd

Meddle
Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall

Genesis

Trespass
Nursery Cryme
Foxtrot
Selling England By the Pound
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
A Trick of The Tale
Wind and Wuthering

Emerson Lake & Palmer

Emerson Lake & Palmer
Tarkus
Pictures at an Exhibition
Trilogy
Brain Salad Surgery

The problem with just listing the canon bands is that like half of them aren't very good. Like you could be listening to some weirdo italian crap or some krautrock and it would be better than ELP or Pink Floyd for instance.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
lol if you don't unironically love the Tarkus title track

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Gamma Nerd posted:

It could stand to be edited down by a few minutes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Let me be the first to say that Traffic are loving awful

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

A human heart posted:

The problem with just listing the canon bands is that like half of them aren't very good. Like you could be listening to some weirdo italian crap or some krautrock and it would be better than ELP or Pink Floyd for instance.

I know Pink Floyd is a little overrated but kinda mean to lump them in with ELP

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Gamma Nerd posted:

I always get the feeling with ELP that they're not serious about any of the stuff they've done--just having a good time and sort of winking at you and just more or less taking the piss. Now, if you want to pin me down to an honest opinion as to what I think was going on in their heads when they did that stuff, what their actual intentions were, I really don't know. But I can and do give them the benefit of the doubt because I really like the music when I approach it that way.

That said, nothing after "Works" should be acknowledged in any regard, for any reason.

More recs:

Univers Zero -- 1313, Heresie.
Gong - The Radio Gnome Invisible trilogy (Flying Teapot, Angel's Egg, and You).
Thinking Plague - In This Life.
Miriodor - Elastic Juggling.

Seconding recs for Henry Cow and RIO bands in general, as well as Magma.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Spotify just surprised me with a whole new Echolyn album out of nowhere (I Heard You Listening). If it's anything like their self-titled that came out a few years ago, it'll be an awesome new piece of prog rock.

Here's one of the tracks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgDfPRtEzWc

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 4, 2015

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Worth considering at the outer edges of PR Ten Years After. This British rock band you'll know from their amazing performance of "Going Home" in the Woodstock film. They started out as an R&B/blues band but their organist was jazz-trained. It has been a while since I heard their first eponymous album but if you want to see PR in its formation then you might want to listen to Stonedhenge, their second (1969) album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEKXcqtU7fU

Actually, it is a really mixed album - it doesn't hang together because the songs are so disparate. But it definitely has its moments. After about 1970/1 they became a lot more heavy rock and less interesting. I think 69-70 was a very small sweet spot where they play, write and record brilliantly. Virtuoso guitarist Alvin Lee died a few years ago so they aren't much of a live proposition anymore (though they do play).

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Gamma Nerd posted:

ELP was unironically a great band. Yeah, they kind of sucked after the works albums, and works vol. 1 wasn't too great (but I stand by works vol. II as being a solid album and almost included it in my list), but when they were good, they were really good.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
They're probably the prog band that most inspired video game boss music and I can't help but like that. Tarkus sounds like some SNES Final Fantasy soundtrack at times.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Gamma Nerd posted:

They're probably the prog band that most inspired video game boss music and I can't help but like that. Tarkus sounds like some SNES Final Fantasy soundtrack at times.

https://youtu.be/JbXVNKtmWnc?t=12m5s

https://youtu.be/WKNOlDtZluU?t=30s

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Some good modern prog recs:

Echolyn - mei (2002)
Glass Hammer - The Inconsolable Secret (2005)
Birds and Buildings - s/t (2008)
Koenjihyakkei - Nivraym (2001)

I'd say these are as good as any of the classics listed above. Echolyn in particular are really really great, can't wait to hear this new album they've got.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

JAMOOOL posted:

Echolyn - mei (2002)

I'd say these are as good as any of the classics listed above. Echolyn in particular are really really great, can't wait to hear this new album they've got.

mei is a fantastic album, but I just hate it when the whole album is lumped into one track. It's not even like different songs seemingly transition into one another, there are actual pauses between them. I know it's a minor and quite stupid thing to complain about, but it annoys me to no end when I want to listen to a particular song and have to quick search through the whole thing for a minute.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Gianthogweed posted:

ELP was unironically a great band. Yeah, they kind of sucked after the works albums, and works vol. 1 wasn't too great (but I stand by works vol. II as being a solid album and almost included it in my list), but when they were good, they were really good.

I mean they were certainly very good musicians but a lot of their stuff even during their good period was completely ridiculous

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JAMOOOL posted:

Echolyn - mei (2002)

Thanks for this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I haven't heard any Glass Hammer that didn't sound like diet Yes