Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

effectual posted:

So I spent another 20 bucks so I could actually start playing, what's the best class for a newb? Should I fart around leveling multiple classes at the same time or focus on 1 at a time?

There's no bad classes so you can play whatever strikes your fancy. I personally took BLM to 35 or so, then dropped it for Monk, then moved to Ninja after I hit 50.

For story, you should try and focus with one class, just to make it easier on yourself. But by all means, take a few classes to 30 or so and try them out and see what you like. Then take your fav to 50+ and then level the others at your leisure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

effectual posted:

So I spent another 20 bucks so I could actually start playing, what's the best class for a newb? Should I fart around leveling multiple classes at the same time or focus on 1 at a time?

Stick to one class until you unlock your chocobo. That is level 20 in the story.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Arcanist is pretty cool because you can access a healing job and a DPS job.

Also you fight with books.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I love ACN and its animations and the idea of both SCH and SMN but jeez they do not click with me at all in playstyle

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

https://youtu.be/MHgznsj9Brc

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

effectual posted:

Level your first class to 30 to get a good feel (up to that point can be considered a huge extended tutorial that slowly ramps up), then get your chocobo combat companion and give the other classes a shot. Unless you really want to do them, it's probably best to stay away from gla/mrd as your first classes since tanks are expected to know the dungeons and mechanics, though you can get around that hump by looking up videos or guides or whatever

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

effectual posted:

Lancer or Thaumaturge because you should level a DPS first to take advantage of faster tank/healer dungeon queues while leveling a second class and those two have the most useful crossclass abilities.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Stufoo posted:

Hey guys, Foresight here!

In all item level 190 left side, and protect, Foresight is the equivalent of hitting an ability that says "mitigate 14.3% physical damage".

In all item level 200 left side, and protect, Foresight will be the equivalent of hitting an ability that says "mitigate 16.2% physical damage."

In all item level 210 left side, and protect, Foresight will be the equivalent of hitting an ability that says "mitigate 18.3% physical damage".

In all item level 220+ left side, and protect, Foresight will be better than 20% physical mitigation, and we still have a lot more item level to go up in Heavensward.

Sorry to dredge this up, but where did you get the calculations from?

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Cabinet posted:

I love ACN and its animations and the idea of both SCH and SMN but jeez they do not click with me at all in playstyle

Me too, I love the theme of the scholar and I like to heal, but with him so far it doesn't really feel like I'm healing or dpsing anything. I think that may be because there seem to be some kind of delay when you activate fairy actions. Lots of DoTs and the fairy doing your job for you don't help much also.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Thanks for the Sailor Moon glamour idea. I think it works better with the hyur skirt though, even if it is red. Also needs some new gloves but whatever.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Eimi posted:

I think it works better with the hyur skirt though, even if it is red.

Nothing wrong with that

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

Vermain posted:

Sorry to dredge this up, but where did you get the calculations from?

My testing, feel free to do your own. I only make foresight posts because I'm tired of everyone parading around the horrible lodestone logic of 2.0 that foresight is 5% mitigation when it's 3x better or more just because their numbers and method are wrong. The equivalency is found doing a comparison to rampart's effectiveness, since the similarity between rampart and foresight is opportunity cost, but the difference, and intense scaling, comes in when you already have base defense.

If you are taking 1000 true damage, and use rampart, you'll take off 200 damage (20% of true). Since you have no defense here, foresight will do literally nothing (0% of true). If you have defense worth 50% mitigation, true will get knocked down to 500 of 1000 and then rampart will take 20% off of 500, 100 damage (10% of true). This means that your base defense made rampart half as effective, of course. Since Foresight's defense scales with protect, and base defense on gear, which both make rampart worse, the comparison is drawn because of opportunity cost like I said. They are both abilities, with recasts, that you actively use to mitigate incoming damage. In the case that your base defense, and protect, mitigate 50% already, rampart will mitigate 20% of 50% and foresight will make your defense mitigate 10% more, both resulting in a 40% of true damage taken scenario, meaning that foresight and rampart were equal, so foresight was a button that said -20% physical damage.

For reference, in 210 tank armor will only mitigate almost 43% of damage. Saying that foresight is only (43 x 1.2 = 51.6) 8.6% mitigation is technically true, but since rampart is only taking true from (57 x .8) 45.6, it's only worth 11.4. If 20% = 11.4, then it's mitigation efficiency is .57. Foresight (8.6) / .57 = 15% mitigation. Foresight is 3/4 of a Rampart in 210... Without tank stance/inner beast.

The numbers in my quoted post above do include Grit, Shield Oath, and Inner Beast being active, in any place where you'd care they would be active. This means that being in tank stance makes foresight a tiny bit better, though it's almost a technicality in the scaling methods, since due to opportunity cost, tank stances happening first mean that rampart is taking 20% of an even smaller number. This is the realistic scenario however.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The main thing Rampart has over Foresight is that Foresight doesn't affect Magical Defense and thus doesn't help with mitigating Magic Damage. Rampart does.

Good to see some numbers/methodology on it to confirm that it is definitely better than Fracture :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there any hidden reason to rush over at DRG 58 and pick up Wheeling Thrust or might I just as well wait until I get 60 and need to do it to unlock dragon kamehameha?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Why would you wait unless you're just grinding fates or something

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Eight-Six posted:

Buy weapons, cosplay

Eimi posted:

Thanks for the Sailor Moon glamour idea. I think it works better with the hyur skirt though, even if it is red. Also needs some new gloves but whatever.

FIGHTING EVIL BY SCREENLIGHT

EATING CHEETOS BY DAYLIGHT

ALWAYS READY FOR AN INTERNET FIGHT

THEY ARE THE ONES NAMED SAILOR GOON

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

This is loving fantastic, especially considering the engine they had to work with.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Why would you wait unless you're just grinding fates or something

Putting off the inevitable hotbar reorganization/culling as long as possible mostly :(

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Putting off the inevitable hotbar reorganization/culling as long as possible mostly :(

That's a really bad idea in that case.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Ciaphas posted:

Better to figure out your new configuration sooner than later.

I haven't had an issue since I adopted my shift+1-5 bar from Ninja (Fang&Claw is 3, Wheeling Slash is 4.)

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
Sometimes I like to wonder if the experience of playing this game could be dramatically improved if all of the gear was ugly

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is it a bad idea to start off with a marauder? A melee DPS tank that leeches a poo poo load of life sounds extremely my poo poo. Unless I'm misunderstanding what the class is, or whatever it's called, job, profession, whatever.

Also I can't seem to make a character on Malboro and its 3AM here(EST). When are you usually able to make characters on servers like this? I'm trying to play with my two real life buddies

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's not a bad idea to start off as anything.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The health leeching won't be a huge part of it. A part, yes, but not a huge part. The tanking and the doing nice enough damage for a tank, however, will be more of a thing.

If you're comfortable being a tank, go ahead and play marauder. It's fun, you hit things with giant axes, and you get to take out an evil buffalo and his minions.

And hell, even if you don't end up liking it, go ahead and start as it. You're not locked in to your starting class in any way.

Anyway, if your desired server isn't open now, it probably will be open within the next 3-5 hours. Right now it's still early enough that people staying up late (particularly on the west coast) could still be actively playing. It's only midnight PST after all. At something more like 7 AM EST, you're contending with the early risers EST and the people who are up really quite late PST, so some time around then would probably be your best bet.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
One of my friends I recently convinced into playing had never played this style of MMO before and had no problems starting Marauder. I joined him for his first few duty finder groups while he got used to tanking, but he got the hang of it pretty quickly.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

Is it a bad idea to start off with a marauder? A melee DPS tank that leeches a poo poo load of life sounds extremely my poo poo. Unless I'm misunderstanding what the class is, or whatever it's called, job, profession, whatever.

Also I can't seem to make a character on Malboro and its 3AM here(EST). When are you usually able to make characters on servers like this? I'm trying to play with my two real life buddies

Health leeching isn't much of a thing but having a huge fuckoff axe and wrecking poo poo while being punched in the face sure is

Please view this important guide to Warrior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHgznsj9Brc

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
WAR done, AST done, now to level a DPS. Which one has the least ramp-up time to full output again?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

effectual posted:

As others mentioned, get 1 class to 30, at which point you'll need to level up another class to 15 to unlock a job. You need a job at level 50 to finish the main story and get to Heavensward content, just so you know.

My personal vote for a class is arcanist since they're the only class that gets two jobs, a DPS job and a healing job. Healers have near instant queues for dungeons, and dungeons are usually the best way to level up.

Also, try to redeem someone's friend code if you can! There's a thread for it in private servers.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 5, 2015

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
Also as mentioned throughout the thread, don' t buy HW until you've beaten the MSQ unless you really want to be Au Ra.

Healers and Tanks get almost instant queue's, but if you have a friend willing to heal/tank for you DPS queue's are relatively fast, usually under 5 minutes in my experience.

Marauder/Warrior is the most forgiving (imo) for learning tank since their AOE agro builder Overpower does damage and generates a good amount of agro.

If you wanna be a Rogue you have to get any class to level 10 first and then head over to Limsa Limosa to become them. Their guild is directly south of the Fisherman Guild Aethernet

Warren fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 5, 2015

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Warren posted:

If you wanna be a Rogue you have to get any class to level 10 first and then head over to Limsa Limosa to become them.

Marauder and Arcanist start out in Limsa Limosa, so pick one of those classes if you want to main as a Rogue.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Can you even get to Limsa before airship? You can travel between Gridania and Ul'dah, but I don't think you can get to Limsa, as the ship is locked out?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Limsa Lominsa is the only city you can't sequence break and hike overland to as soon as you can get out into the world.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

WAR done, AST done, now to level a DPS. Which one has the least ramp-up time to full output again?

Get a spear and poke things.

Lumis
Jan 10, 2006

I'm either a friend or a foe. Depends on who's looking.
Does anyone know if you can overmeld level 5 materias onto things, or do you have to use the "free" materia slots to accomodate them? From what I understand you cannot but I don't have a level 5 materia to test this out with.

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-

SirPhoebos posted:

Marauder and Arcanist start out in Limsa Limosa, so pick one of those classes if you want to main as a Rogue.

Yes, but you need Pugulist to become a ninja anyways. You might want to start out in Ul-Dah, do the MSQ until you can airship around and then switch to Rogue. It'd save time at any rate since you'd have Internal Release earlier.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

FIGHTING EVIL BY SCREENLIGHT

EATING CHEETOS BY DAYLIGHT

ALWAYS READY FOR AN INTERNET FIGHT

THEY ARE THE ONES NAMED SAILOR GOON

gently caress yes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/9235338/

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Lumis posted:

Does anyone know if you can overmeld level 5 materias onto things, or do you have to use the "free" materia slots to accomodate them? From what I understand you cannot but I don't have a level 5 materia to test this out with.

why would you not 100% with materia that costs 1m-2m gil?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Holyshoot posted:

why would you not 100% with materia that costs 1m-2m gil?

Well the issue here is he's asking if Grade V materia CAN be overmelded at all. Which is the first I've heard it suggested that they can't. If they can't that would make melding top end crafting gear a hideous mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumis
Jan 10, 2006

I'm either a friend or a foe. Depends on who's looking.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Well the issue here is he's asking if Grade V materia CAN be overmelded at all. Which is the first I've heard it suggested that they can't. If they can't that would make melding top end crafting gear a hideous mess

Basically this. If you cannot overmeld 5's, it makes the mainhand i170 crafting tools pretty garbage because it only has 1 "free" slot. The website I use is giving me the indication that you cannot; hence, I'm asking for information if someone actually knows whether or not it's possible.

• Locked thread