Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Really close. The next area has the game's point of no return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah you're really close. That particular boss is a big stumbling point because the enemies with levels in between the previous area and that boss are just hanging around in earlier areas of the game.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
What kind of external HDD do you guys use? Just like a standard WD 1 or 2 TB external thing, or what?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have a 32G flash drive with Bayonetta 2 on it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I have a 2TB Seagate drive. I think it was on some list on Nintendo's website.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I've got a slim 500GB Seagate. Had to use a y-cable so it could get enough power, but no complaints so far.

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy

Crawfish posted:

Really close. The next area has the game's point of no return.

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah you're really close. That particular boss is a big stumbling point because the enemies with levels in between the previous area and that boss are just hanging around in earlier areas of the game.

Thanks, I'm relieved to hear that.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Not a Twat posted:

Thanks, I'm relieved to hear that.

Go do some of the quests they gave you for replacement Monados. I hit the same exact issue trying to blitz through the game.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Chill Penguin posted:

What kind of external HDD do you guys use? Just like a standard WD 1 or 2 TB external thing, or what?

Pretty much. If it doesn't have an external power source, you're going to need a USB Y-cable to get enough power to have it work.

Also, if you find that after 1-2 hours of playing, that the Wii U turns off and throws an error about the hard drive, it's probably because you need to disable HDD sleep mode. Here's how you do it:

IGN posted:

"Here's a handy tip: In the System Settings go to "Data Management". Once there do not click on the on-screen buttons but instead hold down on the GamePad's D-Pad and the "+" and "-" buttons for a couple of seconds. A hidden option will show up and you can disable or re-enable the Sleep Mode on the connected HDD. You can do this even if you don't have a removable HDD plugged in the Wii U."

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Chill Penguin posted:

I have a clunky old WD 500 GB Drive. It requires being plugged separately, but it works very well to my great surprise (I had assumed it to old when I tried it). The only game I have on it right now is Wonderful 101, which I bought with Nintendo coins, but it was nice to be able to expand on the Wii U's crappy memory allocation with something that was just collecting dust for me.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Misandu posted:

Go do some of the quests they gave you for replacement Monados. I hit the same exact issue trying to blitz through the game.

Pfft, if your party isn't Seven, Melia and Rikki you're doing it wrong.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Kirios posted:

Pfft, if your party isn't Seven, Melia and Rikki you're doing it wrong.

It's because the game assumes you're going to do them, not because you're nessecarily going to use them. The level jump there is really steep but if you go do those quests then you'll be at the right place.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Fremry posted:

Pretty much. If it doesn't have an external power source, you're going to need a USB Y-cable to get enough power to have it work.

Also, if you find that after 1-2 hours of playing, that the Wii U turns off and throws an error about the hard drive, it's probably because you need to disable HDD sleep mode. Here's how you do it:

I use one of these Toshibas. I got a 750GB one. Needs a Y-Cable, but I haven't had any issues.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

onimusha tactics is like the baby version of Tactics Ogre. hopefully they release either FF Tactics Advance or Knight of Lodis later on

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I picked up Onimusha Tactics knowing nothing about the series or game when it was new. The first mission was a pretty standard is SRPG tutorial. The second mission, some guy gave me a sword and said it would be handy as I descended into Hell to a fight demons. My character agreed. It was pretty nonchalant.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I picked up Onimusha Tactics knowing nothing about the series or game when it was new. The first mission was a pretty standard is SRPG tutorial. The second mission, some guy gave me a sword and said it would be handy as I descended into Hell to a fight demons. My character agreed. It was pretty nonchalant.

Don't know much about the series outside one of the games just randomly having Jean Reno show up as himself in the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rirse posted:

Don't know much about the series outside one of the games just randomly having Jean Reno show up as himself in the game.

That was one of the series 'things', just the first two starred famous Japanese actors.
They dropped it for the last game though probably because it wasn't worth the cost for a series of waning popularity.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL-land people, the Club Nintendo website has been updated to allow you to link your CN account to your NNID, and doing so will give you 750 Stars (within 24 hours).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PAL-land people, the Club Nintendo website has been updated to allow you to link your CN account to your NNID, and doing so will give you 750 Stars (within 24 hours).
The future is here.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I just logged into my Club Nintendo account using my NNID.

ily nintendo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I always had faith that eventually Nintendo would figure the internet thing out.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Nintendo of Europe, you mean.

Meanwhile... NoA, what're you DOIIING? Release Xenoblade on the eShop here!! You're wasting time that could be spent by players playing it and getting them interested in the new one! You idiots, you will regret this!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

We still do not have Flipnote. That came out in NA a while ago, didn't it? How is it even?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of August 6):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Splatoon (update)
WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Beatbuddy - €8.99 / £8.09
    Sanatory Hallways - €9.99 / £8.99
WII DOWNLOADS FOR WII U
    Xenoblade Chronicles - €19.99 / £17.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Star Fox Command (DS) - €9.99 / £8.99
    DK Jungle Climber (DS) - €9.99 / £8.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS

Squids Odyssey (Wii U eShop) - €5.99 / £4.99 until August 13
    Elliot Quest (Wii U eShop) - €10.99 / £8.00 until August 13
    TNT Racers (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until August 13
    Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones (Wii U eShop) - €6.99 / £5.99 until August 27

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Dragon Ball Z; Extreme Butoden (demo)
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Code of Princess (3DS eShop) - €14.95 / £12.49 until August 13
    Sayonara Umihara Kawase (3DS eShop) - €12.40 / £9.99 until August 13
    Fairune (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until August 13
    Parking Star 3D (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.59 until August 13
    Squids Odyssey (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £4.99 until August 13
    AeternoBlade (3DS eShop) - €7.99 / £7.19 until August 13
    Castle Conqueror Defender (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £2.79 until August 20
    Demon King Box (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.39 until August 20
    Quell Memento (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.39 until August 20
    Zombie Panic in Wonderland DX (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until August 21
    Bit Boy!! ARCADE (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until August 27
    PUZZLEBOX setup (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until August 27
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Tons of games across Wii U, 3DS and Wii! - list here, rewards page here. Ends September 30.

NA update (week of August 6):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Splatoon (update)
WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Kung Fu FIGHT! - $1.99
    Astral Breakers - $4.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Golden Sun: The Lost Age (GBA) - $7.99
    Onimusha Tactics (GBA) - $6.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    High Strangeness (Wii U eShop)- $9.99 until August 9
    Elliot Quest (Wii U eShop)- $10.99 until August 13
    Citizens of Earth (Wii U eShop) - $4.99 from August 10-17
    99moves (Wii U eShop)- "on sale" until August 27
    Abyss (Wii U eShop)- "on sale" until August 27
    Rock Zombie (Wii U eShop)- "on sale" until August 27
    Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones (Wii U eShop)- $7.49 until August 27
    GetCLOSE: A Game for Rivals (Wii U eShop)- $0.99 until August 27
    Tiny Galaxy (Wii U eShop)- $3.99 from August 7-September 30

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Etrian Odyssey Untold 2: The Fafnir Knight - $49.99
    Shin Megami Tensei 4 - $19.99 (August 10, permanent price reduction)
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Pokemon Rumble World (update)
    Picross e6 - $5.99
    A-Train 3D: City Simulator - $19.99 (permanent price reduction)
    Japanese Rail Sim 3D Journey to Kyoto - $19.99, includes demo
    Best of Arcade Games - Brick Breaker - $9.99
    Best of Arcade Games - Tetraminoes - $9.99
    Jewel Quest 4 Heritage - $5.99
3DS MENU THEMES
    Aeternoblade - $?
    Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition - $?
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Etrian Odyssey Untold (3DS) - $14.99 until August 10
    Citizens of Earth (3DS eShop) - $4.99 from August 10-17
    Castle Conqueror Defender (3DS eShop) - "on sale" until August 20
    Demon King Box (3DS eShop) - "on sale" until August 20
    Quell Memento (3DS eShop) - "on sale" until August 20
    Zombie Panic in Wonderland DX (3DS eShop) - $4.99 until August 21
    Toys vs. Monsters (3DS) - $1.99 until August 23

No Xenoblade for you, Americans!

The Splatoon update changes a bunch of the maps, adds two new weapon classes, lots of gear, new music, private matchmaking, etc but I'm sure you all know that by now.

The Pokemon Rumble update adds some post-game crap and more rewards tied to the diamond mine or whatever, who cares, bad game.

I don't think they did anything to Golden Sun 2 to simplify the password transfer process, so have fun manually entering your 4000-character password with the d-pad.

A-Train 3D is a legit city sim and pretty much the only game of its kind on 3DS; I think that other railway sim is more of a Densha de Go thing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Also, the PR says "All throughout August, classic games for hard-core gamers are coming to the Virtual Console on Wii U" so maybe this'll finally be the month of Zero Mission?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

What are Starfox Command and Jungle Climber like?

Also that Splatoon update makes it look like they really rushed the game out before it was "finished", but at the same time it's cool that they're offering it for free and not as paid DLC.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

irlZaphod posted:

Also that Splatoon update makes it look like they really rushed the game out before it was "finished", but at the same time it's cool that they're offering it for free and not as paid DLC.

The map changes are just balance adjustments, rolling out a lot of different features week by week was more of an intentional strategy (most of it was already on disc) to keep people interested and keep the game in the media week after week, which seems to have worked given after two months it has a god drat 15% attach rate. If they're to be believed they also wanted to save this updated matchmaking until everyone had experience with the game against randos first.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Ha, great. PAL gets XBC, and NA gets the lovely sequel to an overrated lovely game. Guess this is revenge for that previous 30 years

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

greatn posted:

The map changes are just balance adjustments, rolling out a lot of different features week by week was more of an intentional strategy (most of it was already on disc) to keep people interested and keep the game in the media week after week, which seems to have worked given after two months it has a god drat 15% attach rate. If they're to be believed they also wanted to save this updated matchmaking until everyone had experience with the game against randos first.
Fair enough, I thought more the new weapon classes, but again maybe they wanted people to play around with the launch ones first instead of including everything from the get-go.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
No Zero Mission

No Xenoblade

No Justice

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

irlZaphod posted:

Starfox Command is a weird quasi-remake of Starfox 2 with touch controls and a lot of furry puppet drama. I don't think it's terrible but it's definitely weird and most people don't care for it.

Jungle Climber is a sequel to DK King of Swing, which is an action game about swinging around on pegs, using the shoulder buttons, kinda like a platformer version of Clu Clu Land. There are a hundred million Rare-esque doohickeys and other unlocks and a lot of them are quite tough to get, so if you like the basic gameplay you'll get a lot out of it.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
While they have a dearth of Wii U full releases, they should be releasing downloadable Wii and VC games, but we keep getting this crap.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Please don't buy Starfox Command

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

A few words on the new Kirby games that came out from someone who's owned the originals and bought the new ones because plugging in my old consoles is :effort:

-Squeak Squad holds up surprisingly well, it went to Nintendo 64 collectathon levels of crazy with things to collect and the inventory system works. You can turn off the standard piece of poo poo DS emulation screen the Wii U uses by going into "screen settings" and make it so that the main action screen is the entire TV and the DS bottom screen is your Wii U tablet. This is a badass feature and makes me want to replay other DS games just to see them on a way bigger screen and not feel like my attention is being halved all the time.

-Kirby 64 is underrated. The graphics are still horrible eyesearing Nintendo 64 polygons but because it embraced a 2.5D approach, came out late and therefore pushed the console to its full potential, and because Kirby's world is made up of simple shapes in general, it held up graphically a lot better than other Nintendo 64 titles. Ability mixing is also more unique and interesting than the same abilities and moves that are basically copy pasted into every Kirby game now.

-Return to Dreamland is an amazing game and has a surprising amount of content for a Kirby platformer. If you like the Kirby formula, get it. The only bummer is that you have to have 2 controllers and make Kirby tag along as an absentee player to use as any of the other characters, which is bullshit because even the Mario games let you choose to play as the other characters. Making it an unlock after 100%ing the game or something would be nice.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I just wish that playing in Wii classic mode didn't look like pepper on wet paper. I would probably buy a lot more old VC games.

Also, Star Fox Command is good and fun. If you are at all interested in the Star Fox "lore" (IE you thought all the new characters they introduced in 64 were cool) then you'll get a kick out of the branching storylines and alternate endings. There are like 9 of them, ranging from goofy to sad to just bizarre. I remember the multiplayer being fun, but that's probably not a factor here.

Chill Penguin fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 6, 2015

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fremry posted:

While they have a dearth of Wii U full releases, they should be releasing downloadable Wii and VC games, but we keep getting this crap.

They released 3 Kirby games last week.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

give me the most hardcore game of all, ogre battle

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

elf help book posted:

They released 3 Kirby games last week.

Yeah, definitely true. I need to pick up return to dreamland.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Chill Penguin posted:

I just wish that playing in Wii classic mode didn't look like pepper on wet paper. I would probably buy a lot more old VC games.

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Help Im Alive posted:

Please don't buy Starfox Command

Counterpoint: Slippy has a girlfriend.
So we lost Club Nintendo in america but its replacement is ...?