Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

PaybackJack posted:

Had my Sheriff event out here in Taipei, went about as badly as it could go. Two of our regulars were out of town so I drafted two of my star wars regulars to fill some seats. Then the guy I'd gotten to judge no-showed and another guy decided he had better things to do, taking us from 6 with a judge to 5 with no judge, so I stepped out to judge leaving 4 players to compete for the sheriff stuff.

However my loss is your gain as I have 7 extra sets(one red one black) of Jokers. If anyone can't make it to a Sheriff event and wants them drop me an email: paybackjack@gmail.com

Sending you an e-mail. Still using that chronos protocol mat, i am the envy of the netrunner tryhards.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Deviant posted:

Sending you an e-mail. Still using that chronos protocol mat, i am the envy of the netrunner tryhards.

Cool, I quit Netrunner over a year ago and nobody really stepped up to the plate and went as deep into it as a TO as I was but we still have a nice collection of 8 playmats at the store and your Wotan is one of them.

If you emailed me, I will have your promos in the mail tomorrow, assuming you got your address to me.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

PaybackJack posted:

Cool, I quit Netrunner over a year ago and nobody really stepped up to the plate and went as deep into it as a TO as I was but we still have a nice collection of 8 playmats at the store and your Wotan is one of them.

If you emailed me, I will have your promos in the mail tomorrow, assuming you got your address to me.

i didn't include the address because i'm dumb. i will now.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

That's awesome

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm going all in on the Eagle Wardens, but until then, I really want to build a Sister Mary Blessed deck.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm going all in on the Eagle Wardens, but until then, I really want to build a Sister Mary Blessed deck.

Speaking of Law Dogs gimmicks, feast your eyes on this train wreck.

quote:

Dude (8)
1x Judge Harry Somerset* (Base Set)
1x Philip Swinford* (Base Set)
1x Tommy Harden* (Base Set)
4x Steven Wiles (Base Set)
1x Andrew Burton* (Frontier Justice)

Deed (4)
3x Pat's Perch (Base Set)
1x Gomorra Jail* (Frontier Justice)

Goods (4)
2x Quickdraw Handgun (Base Set)
2x The Evidence (Election Day Slaughter)

Action (36)
2x Make the Smart Choice (Base Set)
2x The Stakes Just Rose (Base Set)
2x Sun in Yer Eyes (Base Set)
4x Coachwhip! (Base Set)
4x Pistol Whip (Base Set)
4x Pinned Down (Base Set)
4x Cheatin' Varmint (Base Set)
4x Unprepared (Base Set)
4x Faster on the Draw (Faith and Fear)
4x This’ll Hurt in the Mornin’ (Faith and Fear)
2x Flight of the Lepus (Frontier Justice)

It's loosely based on another jail/burton combo i saw online.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'll never build a Judge deck because they take up literally every action in the game and don't let you build another deck. Unless you're like some weird Clubless Morgan Gadget deck.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

I'll never build a Judge deck because they take up literally every action in the game and don't let you build another deck. Unless you're like some weird Clubless Morgan Gadget deck.

It played nice with my 4R control deck except for Travis and reserves.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Deviant posted:

Speaking of Law Dogs gimmicks, feast your eyes on this train wreck.

It's loosely based on another jail/burton combo i saw online.

I like Jumpin' Judge decks a lot, but they can fail spectacularly on the first turn. If your opponent is running 3x16 and doesn't cheat, you're going to lose big. It's a very all or nothing on the opening turn deck. Fun for casual play (but maybe don't bring them every week to your group), but not something to bring to a tournament.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Spoilers for Nightmare at Noon are out. There is one card that will probably need to get nerfed because it's drat good.

10C - Buried Treasure
Noon: Ace a card in your discard pile to gain 3 ghost rock and draw a card.

loving ridiculously good.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Nice.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

PaybackJack posted:

Spoilers for Nightmare at Noon are out. There is one card that will probably need to get nerfed because it's drat good.

10C - Buried Treasure
Noon: Ace a card in your discard pile to gain 3 ghost rock and draw a card.

loving ridiculously good.

Mind sharing the link? I checked the database, but it's only got a third of the cards up.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Wellp, call your ninja shoppers, Immovable Object, Irresistible Force is at Gen Con.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Father Wendigo posted:

Mind sharing the link? I checked the database, but it's only got a third of the cards up.
Here's everything that hasn't been spoiled somewhere else. The reprint card is Bad Company I think.

Apparently we'll get spoilers for the new factions tomorrow.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Here are the new outfits, if you want the rest of the spoilers you'll probably see them on the gazette or db in a day or two.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Triple posting to add the rules for Kung Fu stuff:

Kung-Fu
Kung Fu is a new keyword found on dudes which represents their training in the martial arts. A dude with Kung Fu will have a rating (typically between 0 and 4) associated with it which is added to that dude’s value while he is in play. Having a Kung Fu rating also allows a dude to perform Kung Fu Tests and utilise Techniques as described below. When chaining techniques into a Combo, the dude’s Kung Fu rating determines the maximum number of additional techniques that can be chained, beyond the initial technique. Although Kung Fu may at first seem similar to skills such as Huckster and Blessed, it is not considered a skill and is not affected by cards referring to skills.

Technique
A technique is a special kind of action card that requires you to choose a Kung Fu dude and have them succeed a Kung Fu Test in order to play. To perform a Kung Fu test, make a pull and compare its value to the value of the dude chosen (including all bonuses such as his Kung Fu rating). If your pull is a lower value than that of the performing dude, the technique succeeds and you use the ability on the technique. Otherwise the technique fails and nothing happens (the ability has been used to no effect, and it’s the next player’s turn to make a play). Any reference to “your dude” or “this dude” on a technique refers to the dude who performed the Kung Fu Test.

Tao Techniques and Combos
Tao Techniques are techniques that are part of a specific school or discipline and can be played in combination with other Techniques from the same Tao. These techniques will have their Tao indicated on the card (for example Tao of Zhu Bajie or Tao of the Jade Rabbit) and many also include a Combo requirement, indicating that you can quickly follow up with another technique before your opponent has a chance to make a play. After you successfully play a Tao Technique check to see if you have satisfied the combo requirement (if any) on the bottom of the card, if so you may immediately choose and play a different Technique of the same Tao from your hand or discard pile choosing the same dude to perform the Kung Fu test. Not all Tao Techniques are able to chain into subsequent techniques, but they can all be used to chain from prior Techniques of the same Tao. The same dude must be chosen to perform the Kung-Fu test for all Techniques in a combo and the maximum number of additional techniques that can be chained is that dude’s Kung Fu rating.
Unlike other action cards, a tao technique is not placed in the discard pile after resolution, instead it remains in play until the end of the phase in which it was played so you will not be able to use the same Tao Technique card twice within a single phase. A Shootout Tao Technique would be discarded at the end of the “Make Plays” step of the shootout, immediately before either player picks their shooter. A Noon Tao Technique is discarded at the end of High Noon, immediately before you check for a winner.

Also LOL at the AEG guy posting these rules(who apparently wrote them in the rulebook, but did not design the mechanic) and then incorrectly telling people how they work on the FB group.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 30, 2015

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The spoilers for most (all?) of the cards from the faction pack are in the Facebook group, but I don't have the time to load them up on imgur and post them here. There's lots of things that are going to shake up the meta, in fact it looks like these factions are specifically designed to counter many current strategies. Lots of free movement, anti-huckster/pulls, Kung Fu itself adds to a dude's value which makes them less susceptible to Shotguns and some hexes, and so on.

Also, tournaments at GenCon are going to decide which characters die in the story:

quote:

Gomorra is a deadly place – people die – and this year at GenCon 8 people will die. 4 dudes from each outfit and an allied drifter will be put on the block each tournament. At the end of each event, the character with the most votes for death will die. At the end of the fifth and final event 4 more dudes will die. We will be covering the voting closely, and are excited to be the source to reveal to you the list of names!

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Oh hell, Drew Beauman's up for the chopping block. That guy's a linchpin for Law Dog Gadget decks. Steve Wiles is also there, but I think it's safe to say nobody would vote to kill him off - the guy's too useful for every faction.

Also, thanks for all the spoilers! Digging the Eagle Wardens, kinda curious as to what they'll do with the 108 - both play style and storywise.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Father Wendigo posted:

Oh hell, Drew Beauman's up for the chopping block. That guy's a linchpin for Law Dog Gadget decks. Steve Wiles is also there, but I think it's safe to say nobody would vote to kill him off - the guy's too useful for every faction.

Also, thanks for all the spoilers! Digging the Eagle Wardens, kinda curious as to what they'll do with the 108 - both play style and storywise.

Killing a character isn't going to make them unplayable in future tournaments. It just means that character probably won't be in the story or get a new experienced version unless they get harrowed and brought back.

My friend has a theory that Dog, the character shown on Dog's Duster is Lawrence Blackwood who will come back as a harrowed Law Dog. Doesn't make much sense that he'd come back to work with the people that hung him or that they would accept him back but who knows.

Definitely seems like the Wardens got the better outfit card, but the Techniques and Dudes in 108 are much better. A lot of the Eagle Wardens are spell users and not much else, and the Spirits seem pretty meh so far. While the Techniques can slot right into, and in some cases improve on a straight flush draw structure while being playable out of the discard pile is freaking amazing.

Also I'm expecting that we'll start to see Bounties rolling in now that there's an official list of dudes up for the chopping block. I might even place one myself. I certainly expect to see people grudge put Steven Wiles on that list just because they hate the power of his card.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 30, 2015

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Is the extended storyline and tournament driven story similar to legend of the five rings? I've never played it but it sounds similar

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Zombie #246 posted:

Is the extended storyline and tournament driven story similar to legend of the five rings? I've never played it but it sounds similar

It's exactly the same as far as I can tell.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Hi Doomtown thread, been playing for a while now and was hoping to get a little critique of my current deck. It's worth mentioning that I play Doomtown split probably 50/50 between single and multiplayer (3 a lot more often than 4) and my group are only just getting their own copies, so I've been playing against decks I built for them.

quote:

Morgan Cattle Co. (Base Set)

Dude (16)
1x Irving Patterson* (Base Set)
1x James Ghetty (Base Set)
1x Lane Healey (Base Set)
1x Androcles Brocklehurst (Base Set)
2x Steven Wiles (Base Set)
1x Kyle Wagner* (New Town, New Rules)
1x Roderick Byre (New Town, New Rules)
1x Angélica Espinosa (Double Dealin')
2x Mario Crane (Double Dealin')
1x Drew Beauman (Election Day Slaughter)
1x Arvid Mardh (Election Day Slaughter)
1x Jake Smiley* (Election Day Slaughter)
1x William Specks* (Faith and Fear)
1x Chuān “Jen” Qí* (Faith and Fear)

Deed (15)
1x Blake Ranch (Base Set)
1x Cattle Market (Base Set)
2x Circle M Ranch (Base Set)
2x Pat's Perch (Base Set)
1x Bunkhouse (Base Set)
1x Morgan Research Institute (Base Set)
1x Jackson's Strike (Base Set)
1x Undertaker (Base Set)
1x The Pharmacy (Base Set)
2x Surveyor's Office (Double Dealin')
1x St. Anthony's Chapel (Faith and Fear)
1x Shane & Graves Security (Frontier Justice)

Goods (8)
2x Flame-Thrower (Base Set)
2x Force Field (Base Set)
2x Mechanical Horse (Base Set)
2x Bio-Charged Neutralizer (Faith and Fear)

Action (13)
2x Pinned Down (Base Set)
4x Cheatin' Varmint (Base Set)
2x Hired Help (New Town, New Rules)
1x It's Not What You Know... (Double Dealin')
4x This’ll Hurt in the Mornin’ (Faith and Fear)

Cards up to Frontier Justice

This is like my third revision of the deck to tighten it up. The idea is obviously to have Jen invent a Mechanical Horse to get both her bonuses, and have Kyle Wagner and William Specks get the Bio-Charged Neutralizers since barring Shane and Graves they can't fail the pulls. Previously the other queens were kings for Auto-Cattle Feeder and Point Blank, but ACF rarely made a difference and Point Blank basically required the Neutralizers on to work, so I scrapped that.

Is this deck just a mess? In the games I have with friends it tends to put out a lot of deeds but I'm still not sure if it's fast enough to be landslide. Alternatively, sometimes I have real trouble seeing the right gadgets on people, especially if something goes wrong and I lose William or Kyle early. I run all the Cheatin' Punishment cards because the guy who plays 4R goes for five of a kind all the time.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Steven Wiles got killed in the tournament.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Steven Wiles got killed in the tournament.

:smugjones:

Please keep updating us on any casualties. Everyone's got a lot to lose with the exception of the 4th Ring, who's hit list is mostly crap with the exception of Smiling Tom and Dawn/Eve.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Single Tight Female posted:

Hi Doomtown thread, been playing for a while now and was hoping to get a little critique of my current deck. It's worth mentioning that I play Doomtown split probably 50/50 between single and multiplayer (3 a lot more often than 4) and my group are only just getting their own copies, so I've been playing against decks I built for them.

This is like my third revision of the deck to tighten it up. The idea is obviously to have Jen invent a Mechanical Horse to get both her bonuses, and have Kyle Wagner and William Specks get the Bio-Charged Neutralizers since barring Shane and Graves they can't fail the pulls. Previously the other queens were kings for Auto-Cattle Feeder and Point Blank, but ACF rarely made a difference and Point Blank basically required the Neutralizers on to work, so I scrapped that.

Is this deck just a mess? In the games I have with friends it tends to put out a lot of deeds but I'm still not sure if it's fast enough to be landslide. Alternatively, sometimes I have real trouble seeing the right gadgets on people, especially if something goes wrong and I lose William or Kyle early. I run all the Cheatin' Punishment cards because the guy who plays 4R goes for five of a kind all the time.

Can you link the deck list on DTDB? It's one thing that annoys me about that site is that the copy + paste function doesn't automatically include it unless you published the deck, and I deed to be able to see what values you're working with at a quick glance not just the suits.

The main problem with gadget based decks is that they're really slow and the end game doesn't lead directly to victory. What they need is a card which gives victory points, or accumulates them as you build gadgets with a difficulty of like 7 or higher. Right now your plan is, build lots of deeds, use that money to build more deeds and gadgets and then protect those deeds with super strong individual dudes. The problem is that by the time you've gotten to a point where you can really go be proactive with your dudes, the faster decks have already accelerated beyond having 1 good shooter and now have 3. You can't build a deed and a gadget on the same turn with the same dude, which means that the best you can hope for is to build a flamethrower, hand it off to someone, let them build the deed and then hope that your opponent is in a weak enough position that they can't come after you right away to block your income and potentially kill your dude.

You're running a lot of deeds, but the decks that accelerate quickly aren't going to be out CP'ed by you, and will more likely be able to beat you in a shootout because their decks are tuned more for fighting than yours is(due to not running Pistol Whip, Stakes just Rose, or Sun in Your Eyes because of the low values).

Please let me know what values you're running and if possible link to the DTDB page.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Oh yeah, my bad. Deck's here. It's basically 8s and 9s, but at this point I'm thinking if I should just get out of gadgets altogether. Like I said before, I actually canned some gadgets for more deeds on this revision.

The deck feels weak to opponents shootout actions as well. 90% of the time going into a shootout I'm passing, and then someone will just get Unprepared or otherwise dumped on.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Oh yeah, my bad. Deck's here. It's basically 8s and 9s, but at this point I'm thinking if I should just get out of gadgets altogether. Like I said before, I actually canned some gadgets for more deeds on this revision.

The deck feels weak to opponents shootout actions as well. 90% of the time going into a shootout I'm passing, and then someone will just get Unprepared or otherwise dumped on.

Yeah, unfortunately there's not a very good balance with the utility of actions vs gadgets right now. As you mentioned a single unprepared will cost you the battle and all that investment and opportunity cost you spent on the gadget is wasted. I don't think Dudes and Deeds is totally dead though, particularly not in multiplayer actually. We found that there was significantly less interaction at deeds in multiplayer unless the deeds was either worth a lot of control points, or had a powerful ability. In fact, in multiplayer our players seemed fairly reluctant to commit to an engagement with a single player unless there was a really strong motivation to do so.

With that in mind I'd retool the deck with about 10 solid deeds, shooting for 2 production/1 CP as a base stat line, don't go over 2 CP.

Run A-7 clubs( Hired Guns x2, Make 'em Sweat x2, 4x Bottom Dealing, x4 Sun in Your Eyes, x2 Coachwhip, x2 Warpaint, 4x Pistol Whip, 2x One Good Turn, 2x Faster on the Draw, x2 Kidnapping, x2 Pinned Down(use this with Pagliacco to call out there single good shooter). That's 38 before dudes. If you want to tighten this drop 2 As and 2s(the Make 'em Sweats and the Pinned Downs)

Run Pagliacco(he's cheap, you can easily do a 2s scheme with deeds as well. by dropping the aforementioned clubs and tossing in 4x Peacemaker which is one of the better weapons you'll want to use.) Everyone else should have influence printed on them. Preferably we'd like studs and we want them to cost 5GR or less.

So the final deck will look something like this:

STF's MCC Rebuild

Morgan Cattle Co. (Base Set)

Dude (14)
1x Angela Payne (Election Day Slaughter)
1x Chuān “Jen” Qí* (Faith and Fear)
1x Clint Ramsey (Base Set)
1x Eve Henry (Base Set)
1x Irving Patterson* (Base Set)
1x Jarrett Blake* (Base Set)
1x Jon Longstride* (Base Set)
1x Nicodemus Whateley (Faith and Fear)
3x Pagliaccio (Faith and Fear)
1x Ramiro Mendoza (Base Set)
1x Steven Wiles (Base Set)
1x Travis Moone* (Base Set)

Deed (10)
1x B & B Attorneys (Base Set)
1x Blake Ranch (Base Set)
1x Charlie's Place (Base Set)
1x Dead Dog Tavern (Base Set)
1x Gomorra Parish (Base Set)
1x Jackson's Strike (Base Set)
1x Lula's Exploit (Nightmare at Noon)
1x Pat's Perch (Base Set)
1x Pony Express (Base Set)
1x Yan Li's Tailoring (Base Set)

Goods (4)
4x Peacemaker (Base Set)

Action (24)
4x Bottom Dealin' (Base Set)
2x Coachwhip! (Base Set)
2x Faster on the Draw (Faith and Fear)
2x Hired Guns (Base Set)
2x Kidnappin' (Base Set)
2x One Good Turn… (Base Set)
4x Pistol Whip (Base Set)
4x Sun in Yer Eyes (Base Set)
2x War Paint (Base Set)

52 cards with printed value (required 52)
Cards up to Nightmare at Noon

Deck built on DoomtownDB.

With this setup you've got 1 GR, 2 upkeep but you're starting a pretty solid lineup of guys. With a Deed scheme most things costing 3 or less with minimal CP, you should be able to build anything in your deck without needing to win lowball the first turn, but with your values you'll actually be pretty good at winning lowball. The deck has a lot of actions which should buy you the time you need to get rolling, we've got just about all the out of town deeds you can ask for which is helpful for getting setup. Our in town deeds are all useful and places that we'll have no problem wanting to camp out in. Build up your deeds, dudes then wait for the moment when you can drop Nicodemus and clean up by booting all your dudes in a location. The Pags and Travis are helpful in this case as you can use them to call out whoever comes a knocking and not have to get Nicodemus involved in a fight. Early game you should hit a flush, but be able to punish cheating pretty well, late game you're looking at straight flushes all the time.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Angelica Espinosa Nooooooooooooooooooo!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Ramiro Mendoza bites the dust too. Seems like if you have a good card they're gunning for you.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What did you expect, she's holding her gun backwards in the card art. :v:

PaybackJack posted:

Ramiro Mendoza bites the dust too. Seems like if you have a good card they're gunning for you.

I'm actually pretty surprised with the power level of the people getting plugged. I figured people would be killing off low power/high cost chuff like Slade.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 1, 2015

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

The complete body count:

Elmore Rhine {LD}
Angelica Espinosa {SL} & Steven Wiles {DR} (both killed in a tie for Qualifier Round 2)
Ramiro Mendoza {DR}
Bobo {FR}
Andreas Andregg {LD}
Makaio Kaleo, Esq. {SL}
Arvid Mardh {MC}
Slade Lighbody {FR}

Silas Aims sheds a tear for the loss of Makaio. Sloane apparently took a nasty beating due to oversaturation. The final match was Fourth Ring v. Fourth Ring in a Paralysis/Pestilence Mark-off.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Father Wendigo posted:

The complete body count:

Elmore Rhine {LD}
Angelica Espinosa {SL} & Steven Wiles {DR} (both killed in a tie for Qualifier Round 2)
Ramiro Mendoza {DR}
Bobo {FR}
Andreas Andregg {LD}
Makaio Kaleo, Esq. {SL}
Arvid Mardh {MC}
Slade Lighbody {FR}

Silas Aims sheds a tear for the loss of Makaio. Sloane apparently took a nasty beating due to oversaturation. The final match was Fourth Ring v. Fourth Ring in a Paralysis/Pestilence Mark-off.

I didn't think Sloane would win. DR got hit with some pretty harsh meta in the last pack and I didn't think SG would stand up to 4R control. I was surprised both were 4R; I thought oddities could make an appearance. I'm interested to see the decklists.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

My ninja shopper wasn't able to secure the faction box, which sucks. I'm so hype for the Eagle Wardens that it's making it difficult to work on other decks.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

So the final deck will look something like this:

With this setup you've got 1 GR, 2 upkeep but you're starting a pretty solid lineup of guys. With a Deed scheme most things costing 3 or less with minimal CP, you should be able to build anything in your deck without needing to win lowball the first turn, but with your values you'll actually be pretty good at winning lowball. The deck has a lot of actions which should buy you the time you need to get rolling, we've got just about all the out of town deeds you can ask for which is helpful for getting setup. Our in town deeds are all useful and places that we'll have no problem wanting to camp out in. Build up your deeds, dudes then wait for the moment when you can drop Nicodemus and clean up by booting all your dudes in a location. The Pags and Travis are helpful in this case as you can use them to call out whoever comes a knocking and not have to get Nicodemus involved in a fight. Early game you should hit a flush, but be able to punish cheating pretty well, late game you're looking at straight flushes all the time.

This is super excellent and I'll run it as soon as I can, thanks. My multiplayer games have followed the same pattern as yours it seems, everyone's very hesitant to commit to anything except occasionally leaping to a 2-CP deed, usually with some kind of way to back out safely if needed. We're definitely ending up with a lot of kingmaking and politicking too, so a deck that accelerates towards victory in one move would probably work a lot better. Just to check, is it your contention that Mad Science is poor in the current card pool as it has no win condition (only supplementing others) or is that alongside it being bad against the kind of decks people are running now?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Just to check, is it your contention that Mad Science is poor in the current card pool as it has no win condition (only supplementing others) or is that alongside it being bad against the kind of decks people are running now?

Both and then some!

Against control, like 4R, you're really easy to lock down because you tend to have 1 good shooter early and rely on drawing into goods to make other dudes good. If they've got Avie Cline who can pull your booted Scientist into a location where they can pick him off easily in a shootout you're in trouble. Since Gadgets are kind of expensive you're giving up the early game against Aggressive decks too. Since the best thing can use Gadgets for is shootouts you still need to run good shootout cards, but you can't run many of them because you have to concern yourself with the pulls you need to make. Even a card like Quaterman is a tough sell in a Gadget deck because his value is just so low and he's one of the better Gadgets out there. So yeah, too slow in the early game against the aggression of the current decks, and too easily to control in the late game.

The win condition thing would be helpful because then the deck would have a stronger direction for you to build towards. In the case of the deck I've given you, you're using the out of town deeds to help build a giant income to support dropping a lot of dudes with influence. Once you've set that up then you can move everyone into a spot adjacent to your home and camp out there. If you come up against Avie Cline control decks then wait for her, or Tyx, to move then Ambush her with everyone you've got. Take her out and that deck will fold. If they go in for long term Paralysis Marks and such, no matter. You don't mind being booted at that location with most of your guys, and you'll accelerate faster than that deck will. When you finally drop Whateley you'll force them to come fight you, at which point you'll be sitting on a giant stud rating and drawing into Straight Flushes, which will trump everything but their 5oak or possibly DHM(this still isn't really a good build, I've ran it out of a few different things and there just isn't quite enough synergy there yet).

Gadgetorium solved a big issue in that inventing locked your dude down and help keep your economy up for other things like deeds and dudes. They still need some better shootout actions in the 9-K range than just Unprepared, and they need a reason to build Gadgets beyond having more powerful goods.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 3, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jokers are in the mail.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Well, I got nightmare at noon and Immovable Object at Gencon.

Now to make a kung fu exploitation movie deck.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Deviant posted:

Well, I got nightmare at noon and Immovable Object at Gencon.

Now to make a kung fu exploitation movie deck.

Lucky bastard, I should have made you stand in line and buy me one. I can't wait. Kung Fu just looks ridiculous. Hopefully they can keep the power level down and I'm glad that the cards don't immediately go to your discard pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

PaybackJack posted:

Lucky bastard, I should have made you stand in line and buy me one. I can't wait. Kung Fu just looks ridiculous. Hopefully they can keep the power level down and I'm glad that the cards don't immediately go to your discard pile.

I didn't stand in any line. They had them restocked day two.

• Locked thread