Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Gamesguy posted:

Sold some DIS/NVDA/PCLN to take profits before earnings. I'm starting to accumulate AAPL at this level.

Current longs: es, nq, tf, AAPL, AMZN, DIS, GOOGL, IBB, JPM, NFLX, NVDA, PCLN, TSLA.

Still only moderately long, mostly just shuffling positions around.

Added some more AAPL earlier today when it held yesterday's lows, now out of half. Also took profits on most of my NFLX and PCLN, exited DIS.

Still holding the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Gamesguy posted:

Added some more AAPL earlier today when it held yesterday's lows, now out of half. Also took profits on most of my NFLX and PCLN, exited DIS.

Still holding the rest.

How about you post one of your patented screenshots for DIS?

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Kal Torak posted:

How about you post one of your patented screenshots for DIS?

You seem bitter about people posting their trades and making money on those trades in the stock trading thread.

But since you asked, I lost $10k on the DIS calls.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Business posted:

Everyone buy lots of JASO its fun like punching yourself in the dick or chewing on glass.

As a former JASO bagholder myself--pre reverse split!--I agree. It's definitely a "fun" stock.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Lumber Liquidators might just be headed to liquidation. They're losing business + lawsuits coming. Down 25% today, post-earnings, and down some ridiculous amount since the 60 Minutes story.

If you've been thinking about getting hardwood flooring...might be able to get a great bargain coming up here pretty quick.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Also a good time to get respiratory cancer.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

TheBuilder posted:

Also a good time to get respiratory cancer.

Seconding this. They are going under because they sold/are selling wood that should not be used near people.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I'm pretty sure it was some scandal about a particular glue used in some laminates.

If they sell other products (e.g., hardwood) that should be fine to buy.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
They're no longer selling the lolChina formaldawood obviously

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Saint Fu posted:

I'd take the 6.8% myself. Unless your currency is under heavy inflationary pressures.

Its probably 6.8% not just because of potential high inflation and/or currency devaluation, but also because of non-zero chance the bank might not return all of the capital, or even fold altogether. Putting money in non-US banks isn't exactly risk free. Gauging that risk is hard as poo poo in an environment where public information is hard to come by. Impossible to really give good info without knowing which asian country he's talking about, but yah, I'd probably do the vanguard fund if its a significant percentage of total assets. Although I do personally have a few percent of assets in bank of china - gambooool/emergency fund.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
There is no telling what is going to happen with WTW over the next few days. They just had a knockout earnings call and the short interest is well over 50% of float. I've been scaling into it for a couple of months now and was starting to get nervous, but it looks like a homerun now

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Gamesguy posted:

You seem bitter about people posting their trades and making money on those trades in the stock trading thread.

But since you asked, I lost $10k on the DIS calls.

For the pure amount of money you have invested I love seeing screenshots of your trades. Continue plz

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Baddog posted:

Its probably 6.8% not just because of potential high inflation and/or currency devaluation, but also because of non-zero chance the bank might not return all of the capital, or even fold altogether. Putting money in non-US banks isn't exactly risk free. Gauging that risk is hard as poo poo in an environment where public information is hard to come by. Impossible to really give good info without knowing which asian country he's talking about, but yah, I'd probably do the vanguard fund if its a significant percentage of total assets. Although I do personally have a few percent of assets in bank of china - gambooool/emergency fund.

I should have given more info.

The country is Vietnam.

The annual inflation rate projected for 2015 according to googling and using different international sources is about 3% , partly due to low oil prices (according to sources found on google)..

The bank is "BaoViet."

It's a state bank. Unlikely to have problems b/c it's heavily a state bank.

Yes, there is less transparency as folks know, but my friends have been doing 1-year term accounts for a few years and have never had a problem. There are problems with the smaller dodgy banks, no doubt about that, but BaoViet bank (and Vietcom bank) should be solid.

Thanks for the replies. I read them all.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Not a Children posted:

Do Not Try To Time The Market, To The Point Where Even The Coordinating Conjunctions And Prepositions In This Sentence Are Capitalized

I have always Dollar Cost Averaged - until I left the US and lived abroad. I have to bring cash back to the US and wire some of it back to the US (but cannot wire all of it b/c of no proof of paying taxes).

I do not dollar cost average now.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Positive Optimyst posted:

I have always Dollar Cost Averaged - until I left the US and lived abroad. I have to bring cash back to the US and wire some of it back to the US (but cannot wire all of it b/c of no proof of paying taxes).

I do not dollar cost average now.

What do you mean about taxes? You don't need any proof of paying taxes as far as I know, unless you want to take the foreign income tax deduction instead of the foreign income exclusion. If you take the exclusion you just report your gross foreign income and you don't pay any US taxes on that income up to like $99k. You are required by law to report your foreign income as a US citizen and I would recommend you play nice with the IRS, especially considering it is tax-free unless you're making hella dong.

hold hands at the park
Apr 12, 2008

Gamesguy posted:

Still holding the rest.

Thanks for your recommendations. I'm new to individual stock investing, and it has been helpful to witness your strategy of going long on these large, stable companies. I've gambled on some solar, biotech, and chicken stocks recommended in this thread and found it to be an overall nerve-wracking experience.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Positive Optimyst posted:

I should have given more info.

The country is Vietnam.

The annual inflation rate projected for 2015 according to googling and using different international sources is about 3% , partly due to low oil prices (according to sources found on google)..

The bank is "BaoViet."

It's a state bank. Unlikely to have problems b/c it's heavily a state bank.

Yes, there is less transparency as folks know, but my friends have been doing 1-year term accounts for a few years and have never had a problem. There are problems with the smaller dodgy banks, no doubt about that, but BaoViet bank (and Vietcom bank) should be solid.

Thanks for the replies. I read them all.

If you're planning to come back, I'd want my savings in USD. Your savings rate could just as easily be wiped out by a change in currency value.

pyroseraphin posted:

Thanks for your recommendations. I'm new to individual stock investing, and it has been helpful to witness your strategy of going long on these large, stable companies. I've gambled on some solar, biotech, and chicken stocks recommended in this thread and found it to be an overall nerve-wracking experience.

Don't be fooled, he's gambling with a massive amount of options, which is inherently way more risky and nerve-wracking than just going long with stock.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

District Selectman posted:

Don't be fooled, he's gambling with a massive amount of options, which is inherently way more risky and nerve-wracking than just going long with stock.
My man

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Riding this HOS train from under 17.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

tentish klown posted:

Riding this HOS train from under 17.

I grabbed 500 shares of TDW during yesterday's sodomy session, feeling a little smart (look out below).

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

fruition posted:

I grabbed 500 shares of TDW during yesterday's sodomy session, feeling a little smart (look out below).

Same

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Bleh. I didn't get out of GDDY before earnings last night and really got spanked for that one.

I really should go through here and clean house, I've got some real stinkers right now (TDOC, GLOB) that I IPO'd and then didn't dump when I should have. I'm still in the green by a decent bit, but it would have been better yesterday!

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Sold 10 calls against HOS with the spike up today, could just be a blip.

Got 6k shares, 20 shorted calls for December 26 strike @ 1.3, and 10 shorted calls for September 21 strike @ 1.15.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

Arkane posted:

Sold 10 calls against HOS with the spike up today, could just be a blip.

Got 6k shares, 20 shorted calls for December 26 strike @ 1.3, and 10 shorted calls for September 21 strike @ 1.15.

Yeah I took some off the table to buy lower as oil inevitably slides further in the coming months.

Holding 1500 shares of TDW, and 1250 shares of HOS

...and 500 shares of MNKD, but we won't talk about that

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I am looking for a telecom stock to fill in that sector of my portfolio. I am currently looking at VZ and T. I want a stable, low risk stock with a high, but sustainable dividend payout. I like T off the bat because it has less long term debt compared to assets and equity than VZ. T also has a nicer dividend but has less wiggle room with its cash flow. VZ has a lot more debt and less equity, but just went through a rather long expansion period. VZ seems to be the bigger growth company. That being said, T also is planning to expand their broadband significantly, which will result in revenue growth at the expense of debt.

Not a fan of the DirecTV merger for reasons we probably all found out this week. Subscriber television is not something I want more exposure to, but T also has a high percentage of wired service which I think is more stable than wireless (which VZ is heavier into).

This will be a long term play for me, so I might just be splitting hairs (they are the same company), but I am wondering if anyone here has other insights I am missing.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I agree with you on VZ over T. Looked into these a few months ago and came to largely the same conclusions.

Biggest caveat is that both of these are sort of yield plays and would presumably be poor performers in a rising interest rate environment.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
I've owned both for a while now, bought them during a dip for a long-term boring dividend play, and VZ has constantly performed better than T while I've been holding them.

Of course I put more money into T than VZ back then.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My guess is that the DirecTV purchase is more or less entirely about claiming that lucrative NFL Sunday Ticket license. DirecTV's license is exclusive but now that it's one company, presumably AT&T will be able to offer it to its cable subscribers for the same money with very little additional overhead. That may attract some satellite subscribers to switch over (which is roughly a net-zero move) but it should also increase total subscribership to Sunday Ticket. And that's worth $200-$350 per subscriber per year.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Speaking of other dividend plays, at today's close VIAB is yielding 3.6%. I haven't really looked into the financials yet but I'm curious if today's crash might've been a little overdone.

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011
MNST, Monster Beverage, is not staying down after hours. It had worse earnings and came out below estimates but would not fall below $135. As of this moment it is trading a dollar less than close price. :psyduck:
I wonder if their conference call will cause it to drop but some people really love this company.

Edit: Listening to their call and am watching their price go above their close(+$4 now). Seems many other brands are losing out against Monster in other countries, market share wise. Tomorrow will be an interesting day.

BouncingBuckyBalls fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 6, 2015

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Agronox posted:

Speaking of other dividend plays, at today's close VIAB is yielding 3.6%. I haven't really looked into the financials yet but I'm curious if today's crash might've been a little overdone.

If you believe that things really are moving to a "pay-per-channel" model, viacom doesn't really have anything people would want to pay per month for. Even comedy central, worth more than a buck or two a month? People with kids might buy the Nick* channels, but their subscriber numbers are gonna dry the gently caress up, so that even the retarded advertisers are gonna pay a lot less for time. I guess if you look at them as a content company, the end game could be that they sell shows to amazon/netflix/whoever... but that seems like a lower margin and much riskier business than their current model.

Ford (4.04) and Coke (3.15) have similar dividends and seem like a much smaller chance of being 1/10 the market cap in 2-3 years. They might even grow!

edit - list of viacom assets. Outside of paramount pictures (which is sucking lately and looks like only a new star trek next year as a decently guaranteed hit), this really seems like a bunch of crap. 20.5B, really?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Viacom

Baddog fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 6, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Someone in this thread just made a bunch of money on NVDA.

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008
Been getting absolutely wrecked on VUZI lately. Price is dropping like a rock on a lack of news when people are starting to expect announcements of partnerships.

Also hilarity in DDD, which was apparently so oversold that a "not so bad" earnings miss resulted in +20% at one point during the day and +16% close.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DNova posted:

What do you mean about taxes? You don't need any proof of paying taxes as far as I know, unless you want to take the foreign income tax deduction instead of the foreign income exclusion. If you take the exclusion you just report your gross foreign income and you don't pay any US taxes on that income up to like $99k. You are required by law to report your foreign income as a US citizen and I would recommend you play nice with the IRS, especially considering it is tax-free unless you're making hella dong.

DNova,

I'm not referring to the US.

I'm referring to the Vietnam end: To wire money back into the US I have to provide an VNese tax form. to make sure I didn't earn it by 1. not paying VNese income or 2. did not earn the money by say, selling arms or dope.

I have tax forms for some income from one employer but most others don't provide an official tax form.

I have no concern about the US end, and yes, I'm aware of the 2555 foreign income exclusion form and rule / reg.

Cheers.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

District Selectman posted:

If you're planning to come back, I'd want my savings in USD. Your savings rate could just as easily be wiped out by a change in currency value.

Interesting point on planning on returning to the US.

At the age of 45, I have been thinking of trying to retire and die overseas, preferable in East Asia. I don't know if this will happen, but if I stay in Asia, I can retire at 60 probably and retire for sure at 65.

If I return to the US, regardless of my income of job, I doubt I'll ever be able to retire because of the costs of living, taxes, and typical issues.

I will sill keep some money in Index funds (and yes stock at times as I have a Scott Trade stock account), but I want more of money in Asia, in this case Vietnam.

The VN state bank of Vietnam (BoV) have devalued the currency 5 times in the last 6 years to compete with other nations (at least 15 other nations' central banks have been devaluing their currencies, and VN is just following suit..

That said, I am not concerned about he VN currently at the moment - but I'm always watching.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Josh Lyman posted:

Someone in this thread just made a bunch of money on NVDA.

hellyeah, dis guy. <-----

until I look at my poor poor SUNE. christ I have lost like 15k yesterday in unrealized gains. :smith:

I'm long though :unsmith:

right?

:smith:

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 7, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

July jobs in line with estimate of 215k and minor upward revision to the last 2 months. Should provide a minor lift to the markets.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I am wanting to learn about options, but every example I have always talks about buying 10 or more contracts ect.

Are there any good tutorials/websites that can show real world examples that show 1 contract examples. I know that 1 contract = 100 shares, so if a contract for XYZ stock is $2 it would be $200 for the premium to do that option for either a call or put.

I just want to learn the basics of controlling 1 contract to be a call (price expected to go up) or a put (price expected to go down) and then get the hang of this first.

Somewhat confusing when looking at a chain to see a call price available for NFLX at $115 2 weeks from now when the price is at $123 already.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

MrBigglesworth posted:

I am wanting to learn about options, but every example I have always talks about buying 10 or more contracts ect.

Are there any good tutorials/websites that can show real world examples that show 1 contract examples. I know that 1 contract = 100 shares, so if a contract for XYZ stock is $2 it would be $200 for the premium to do that option for either a call or put.

I just want to learn the basics of controlling 1 contract to be a call (price expected to go up) or a put (price expected to go down) and then get the hang of this first.

Somewhat confusing when looking at a chain to see a call price available for NFLX at $115 2 weeks from now when the price is at $123 already.

I think you should probably start with the Investopedia basic articles on what options are and the basics of how they behave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

MrBigglesworth posted:

There probably aren't people writing (selling) calls for 115 now, but they might've been written a month (or several months) ago, so there is still volume on those currently.