Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

TontoCorazon posted:

Do you have a link? It sounds interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccNSB5FLaHA

I believe it's this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellic
Apr 28, 2009

I never asked for this

Grimey Drawer

JackBadass posted:

I'm not sure what the word I'm looking for is, but everything in 1 and 2 looks too "round". They're still fun and playable in spite of that though, don't get me wrong.

FO1&2 were released before a time ZBrush/Mudbox were around and normal maps were a thing in game engines. Displacement and bump mapping were around but that poo poo took forever to render on anything animated. That era commonly just ran on a few default smoothing group choices so a lot of stuff looks like that show Reboot.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I love me some Fallout! I don't mind bad textures because you know those'll be up on Fallout4Nexus within a week but what I can't stand is poor lighting, like everything is making it's own light vs "on scene lighting".

Now compare that to Mafia 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTnriTnBDAg

[edit] SweetFX is probably gonna be a must for this game.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 5, 2015

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Mafia 3 trailer is obviously pre-rendered, though.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I still don't think Bethesda has included ambient occlusion in any of their games. You have to force it with ENBs or your graphics card. That's why the lighting looks really loving flat in the trailer and demo.

Also lmfao

http://www.vg247.com/2015/08/05/fallout-4-looks-more-and-more-like-a-recycled-fallout-3/

quote:

Character models stand out here, with a lack of definition in the Ghouls and Raiders up close. There’s no impressive facial animation to wow over. It’s functional.

quote:

But then you notice that things like the computer terminals from Fallout 3 look exactly the same here, as do other artefacts, to the point where they look lifted without a next-gen polish.

quote:

But Bethesda’s whole presentation felt a little flat at Gamescom today. We were ushered into a dark room with no real ceremony and watched all of this from a pre-recorded video with a 4-5 minute voice over from Todd Howard. After fifteen minutes it was over and we were ushered out with no chance for follow up questions or anything other than a polite “hope you enjoyed it, thanks for coming”. If the people making and publishing this seem like they’re just going through the motions, how can they expect us to get excited? I’m not a fan of the over-the-top marketing presentation, but a little fizz would have gone a long way.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 5, 2015

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

that second picture looks so much better it isn't even funny. side-by-side makes the top one look like the sun is literally going supernova in the background and this snapshot was taken moments before the blast wave incinerated the earth

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

So I was at Gamescom today:

I saw the new footage. It looked fantastic. Very colorful compared to the last few games. There was a noticeable framerate drop at one part which i thought was kind of odd for a demo. Seemed to be about 10 minutes of footage.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Sounds ok to me, I liked Fallout 3!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
lol at the commenter who said "Skyrim with guns". In a few years we're gonna see people calling Elder Scrolls 6 "Fallout 4 with swords".

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

And also saying "Skyrim with guns" like that's a bad thing :gerty:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

ymgve posted:

lol at the commenter who said "Skyrim with guns".
It's almost comforting how some things never chance. FO3 was often called "Oblivion with guns".

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

quote:

And here we go with the graphics bitching again.

You do realize that Fallout 4 offers a unique gameplay that doesn't exist anywhere else, right? Not to mention the fact that it's the first game in gaming history to have 100% sandbox weapon modding. Even Fallen Earth doesn't have as detailed gun crafting as this, and the Borderlands games don't even let you make your own weapons. Heck Codsworth even addresses you by name - you ever played ANY game at all that offers that?

This graphics bitching is so full of poo poo. Who cares about graphics when were talking about RPGs? And good luck running Fallout 4 on your computer if it indeed had the top graphics available. 16Gb RAM? Try 600.

You really have no idea whats going on under the hood of these games.

:dogbutton:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Awesome thanks. That breakdown is pretty cool.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Raygereio posted:

It's almost comforting how some things never chance. FO3 was often called "Oblivion with guns".

And when it was first announced it was Morrowind with Guns.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Have any reports included info about the hacking minigame? NV did everyone a favor by removing duds with higher levels of science, but overall it's just not a fun or engaging process.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

frajaq posted:

And also saying "Skyrim with guns" like that's a bad thing :gerty:

I always said that Skyrim/Morrowind/Oblivion were Fallout with swords.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The fallout hacking minigame is ok, I don't mind it. It's not really awful and annoying like the hacking minigame in Alpha Protocol.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'm not an obsessive pack rat in games, but the crafting in this one makes me nervous. What do you do when everything is potentially useful?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

marktheando posted:

The fallout hacking minigame is ok, I don't mind it. It's not really awful and annoying like the hacking minigame in Alpha Protocol.

I actually like it enough that I've played http://mitchellthompson.net/demos/terminal/ to kill time before.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Die Laughing posted:

I'm not an obsessive pack rat in games, but the crafting in this one makes me nervous. What do you do when everything is potentially useful?

I somehow always end up pushing the weight limit at all times. Hardcore mode is actually bad for me because I horde or craft so many bullets I'll have hundreds of pounds of shotgun shells alone. If I have to collect all the tin cans and toy cars in the world for my craft-craze I can only hope they make a lot of junk just straight weightless.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Die Laughing posted:

How is this any different than New Vegas? All the junk as potentially useful somewhere, even the really useless stuff like burnt books and coffee mugs eventually got a use from the Old World Blues DLC turn in quests.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Hmm, that's an interesting breakdown and all fairly promising stuff. I do have to say I'm of two minds on the presentation of the Power Armor though. I definitely like it acknowledging more that it's not just really heavy duty armor plating but actual Powered Armor Suits, but his specific note of "and now we get to see what happens if you fight a Deathclaw without Power Armor" does have me worried. I can understand the perspective of having Power Armor be necessary for the biggest threats, but only if it's use is either strictly limited (you're only allowed to spawn power armor in certain situations) or limited by circumstance and mechanics (you could theoretically use it all the time, but it's a giant pain to do for one reason or another). Otherwise I'm worried it's going to feel like there's no build other than the use Power Armor build with maybe a side of hyper-sneaky kill shot that doesn't need armor.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

ymgve posted:

lol at the commenter who said "Skyrim with guns". In a few years we're gonna see people calling Elder Scrolls 6 "Fallout 4 with swords".

Not all posts in the forums are made in complete seriousness, friend.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

Why do people hate the AP hacking minigame? It's not great, but I don't see any reason to go as far as say I hate it. They invoked the first grader in me that loved doing word searches.

ymgve posted:

People also said that about Far Cry 3. As far as I'm concerned it's a compliment!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

LornMarkus posted:

Hmm, that's an interesting breakdown and all fairly promising stuff. I do have to say I'm of two minds on the presentation of the Power Armor though. I definitely like it acknowledging more that it's not just really heavy duty armor plating but actual Powered Armor Suits, but his specific note of "and now we get to see what happens if you fight a Deathclaw without Power Armor" does have me worried. I can understand the perspective of having Power Armor be necessary for the biggest threats, but only if it's use is either strictly limited (you're only allowed to spawn power armor in certain situations) or limited by circumstance and mechanics (you could theoretically use it all the time, but it's a giant pain to do for one reason or another). Otherwise I'm worried it's going to feel like there's no build other than the use Power Armor build with maybe a side of hyper-sneaky kill shot that doesn't need armor.

I liked the one NV mod that made power armor have no weight to itself and blocked damage 90% that wasn't penetrating shots. Made dealing with Brotherhood of Steel a bit more fun.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

year199X posted:

Why do people hate the AP hacking minigame? It's not great, but I don't see any reason to go as far as say I hate it. They invoked the first grader in me that loved doing word searches.

I also love the hacking mini-game. My theory is haters don't actually play it, instead opting for the "pick the first three options then cancel out and try again" method. In those cases it stops being fun and turns into a chore/slog.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

year199X posted:

I found it extremely frustrating. Find the first bit that isn't moving and then it loving changes position if you take too long finding the other one. And it's all on a timer for maximum stress.

Maybe you are better at pattern recognition than I am. But the hacking and the equally terrible other minigame for disabling alarms pretty much ruined Alpha Protocol for me.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

I also love the hacking mini-game. My theory is haters don't actually play it, instead opting for the "pick the first three options then cancel out and try again" method. In those cases it stops being fun and turns into a chore/slog.

Psst, I was talking about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urhnx2XrySQ

Personally I never had an issue with the hacking so :shrug:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

year199X posted:

Oh gross, I don't want a time limit that's far too stressful.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Lotish posted:

I somehow always end up pushing the weight limit at all times. Hardcore mode is actually bad for me because I horde or craft so many bullets I'll have hundreds of pounds of shotgun shells alone. If I have to collect all the tin cans and toy cars in the world for my craft-craze I can only hope they make a lot of junk just straight weightless.

Anyone else selected an item at random then you had to collect EVERY SINGLE one you came across?

My house was full of teddy bears and garden gnomes.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Rutibex posted:

I mean tons of people don't know about the utility of junk code sooo

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

year199X posted:

Same here. I liked it. I also liked that if you didn't like it you could use an item to just skip it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ak Gara posted:

Anyone else selected an item at random then you had to collect EVERY SINGLE one you came across?

I have in my possession every 5-ball in existence in the Mojave wasteland.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Ak Gara posted:

My bed was covered in a giant pile of old world bills.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Skyrim is all about creating a horrible jumble of physics to create chaos every time your in-game family tries to walk around.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I thought the F3/NV hacking minigame was fairly unoffensive. Once I found out you can get rid of duds by selecting things inside parenthesis and brackets it suddenly became a breeze. One of my fav hack games though is Bioshock 2. It's fast, not an eyestrain, and requires juuuust enough player input to feel like you actually accomplished something.

LornMarkus posted:

Maybe there'll be lots of restrictions while in Power Armor. You can see he lumbers along while in it, although that might have been because he was toting around the minigun. I wouldn't mind of it was more like a resource. It takes a lot of damage, so you gotta get components to repair/upgrade it, so you can't just lean on it like a crutch.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Constant Hamprince posted:

Not all posts in the forums are made in complete seriousness, friend.

No, it's funny because people also called Fallout 3 "Oblivion with guns" and when Skyrim came out, people called it "Fallout with swords". It's an endless cycle.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

What happens when guns finally get added to an Elderscrolls game :confused:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

What happens when guns finally get added to an Elderscrolls game :confused:

Rabid, frothing anger about LORE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU