Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

420 Gank Mid posted:

I am very glad I didn't bother with most of the "?" spots in Skellige if this is what it does to you.

Whenever I had to deal with water-based combat encounters it would take me 10-15 seconds and I wouldn't even slow down the boat or change course.

Nah, I was able to infer it would do that, and not do them, but others aren't so fortunate. It was actually good that they were super-annoying, because then I didn't feel like I had to do the velen ones either. I think cdpr should probably remove any ?s that they didn't build a cool set piece for - it's much better if all of them feel rewarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I don't know what your point even is now. Skellige sea ? are tedious and sirens make them double tedious even while you one shot them, it's not rocket science. Good that you chose not to uncover this particular game content prepared by the devs for the player to uncover because indeed it's awful.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

OAquinas posted:

There was a locked chest in the sunstone crypt I couldn't find a key for though.

Are you talking about the one guarded by two ghosts that don't attack you and just standing there? Because I found that one last night as the chest in the spike room nearby was one of the last ?s I had to do.

I searched that damned cave for an hour and couldn't find poo poo. I suspect it's a key the ghosts are supposed to drop, but after you've beaten the game they are no longer hostile or some poo poo. I searched online and found quite a few threads of people bitching about that chest.

420 Gank Mid posted:

Yeah I agree that they are not fun combat encounters. But they are not difficult roadblocks. So long as you have a controller in your hand and a pulse it really shouldn't set you back very long. You don't even have to stop the boat.

:spergin:

I got caught in a stunlock a few times running into groups of 5-10 sirens just swooping down in different directions at me. I had no problems when I jumped off the boat (which I was goin to have to do to get the chests anyway) and just crossbowing them underwater.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
It's really not nearly that bad to do all the smuggler's caches though y'all. The sirens are a mild furstration at best and as I said, I was basically just half assing the whole time. Just throw a movie on.

Was it worth it? Eh. I found a bunch of random stuff that I wouldn't have and got a couple more hours out of my new favorite game ever. So yes.

Every time I want to say "i've done everything" in this game though I find a new ! or some poo poo.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

My favorite part of this quest is that there's some nearby drowners that often get bugged and run through the scene. Might be fixed now (too bad).

I was killed by those drowners soon after and the my checkpoint was right at the end of that encounter so my game would load straight into the guy going "Hey, hey boss, hey, I think this guys a Witcher". So I kept that save.

The Iron Rose posted:

So what books are translated to english and what's the chronology/order to read them in?

I found this helpful: http://io9.com/how-to-get-into-the-witcher-novels-1706064080

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 5, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

JetsGuy posted:

It's really not nearly that bad to do all the smuggler's caches though y'all. The sirens are a mild furstration at best and as I said, I was basically just half assing the whole time. Just throw a movie on.

Was it worth it? Eh. I found a bunch of random stuff that I wouldn't have and got a couple more hours out of my new favorite game ever. So yes.

Every time I want to say "i've done everything" in this game though I find a new ! or some poo poo.

Having to distract yourself with something else makes worthwhile hours in your "favorite game ever"? That doesn't even make sense.
And I wonder how much of the random stuff you actually kept, considering the random loot is worthless compared to Witcher gear.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

GrossMurpel posted:

Having to distract yourself with something else makes worthwhile hours in your "favorite game ever"? That doesn't even make sense.

Stop being intentionally dense. The writing is amazing and 98% of the game is fun and not tedious. Oh no, the last 2%, picking up random ?s that have no bearing on anything other than OCD of having ?s out there was a little dull so I "distracted myself" with a movie while I did it. It's the best story telling and character depth of any game I've played and is certainly the largest.

quote:

And I wonder how much of the random stuff you actually kept, considering the random loot is worthless compared to Witcher gear.

Not a lot, but I also didn't bother making anything other than Griffin School gear because what's the point in keeping it if I'm not wearing it? I kept maybe two or three pieces I liked the look of though since you asked. If that was the only thing to do it for, it wasn't worth it, but finding all the little touches out there and a small handful of sidequests was. It's certainly not for everyone hunting down all thsoe stupid things though. That's why it's optional, and very optional at that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
also that some of the loot is RNG dependant. After hundreds of hours, I finally just found some tier one formulas in the sunstone cave. I've hat the enhanced and superior formulas for most of the game, but couldn't make them because i didn't have the basic formula.

I think they should have made it so that you need prereques for crafting and formulas. I understand the in-universe reason, but from a gameplay perspective it's really frustrating to not be able to make an advanced potion or bomb that you have the formula for because you haven't found the formula for an inferior version of it. They could just give formulas a level requirement like gear.

Also, in an opinion that I expect no one else with share, i think they should have done away with reparing weapons, I think they should have just had crafting. When you gear breaks, you have to craft more. This would mean that there would be a reason to carry backup gear, and sometimes you would craft suboptimal gear just because that's what you had on hand. Crafting isn't really that hard or expensive, so it's not like you'd have to constantly grind things. they could up everything's durability some to make it last longer, but I think it would make outfitting a lot less monotonous.

Also grindstones and armor tables should work like oils and be for a number of hits and not a time. that makes no sense and makes using them horribly tedious.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ok so I'm doing some Kaer Morhen quests and the game started freezing every 5 minutes or so. I deleted a lot of save games and it didn't help. One minute everything works fine on my machine, no crashes after hours of playing, nothing and then it starts freezing like this, I don't know what black magic this is.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Palpek posted:

Ok so I'm doing some Kaer Morhen quests and the game started freezing every 5 minutes or so. I deleted a lot of save games and it didn't help. One minute everything works fine on my machine, no crashes after hours of playing, nothing and then it starts freezing like this, I don't know what black magic this is.

You must make an offering to Freya

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I just ran into the guy who has to duel a 100 knights and challenges me. I don't want to kill him. :smith:

I just Axii'd him, got on my horse and ran off.

If I have to maybe I'll just punch him up with my fists. Punching up those guys in the White Orchard inn didn't kill them.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Ularg posted:

I just ran into the guy who has to duel a 100 knights and challenges me. I don't want to kill him. :smith:

If I have to maybe I'll just punch him up with my fists. Punching up those guys in the White Orchard inn didn't kill them.

He'll be back.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

bonds0097 posted:

He'll be back.

I don't remember what happened the first time but the second time I was like, "welp, he had his warning" so I sworded him and he fled. I killed him the third time, but I thought he'd yield like he did the second time. I beheaded him and his two buddies right away the third time. I reloaded and just axii'd him.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

I don't remember what happened the first time but the second time I was like, "welp, he had his warning" so I sworded him and he fled. I killed him the third time, but I thought he'd yield like he did the second time. I beheaded him and his two buddies right away the third time. I reloaded and just axii'd him.

Whatever, gently caress that guy. There's basically every reason to believe that he's confronting tons of people the way he's confronting Geralt, and Geralt must be one of the few who's actually bested him. He's a bully whose luck has run out.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Bear! Bear! Run princess you stupid piece of poo poo!

Love you Geralt.

And fine, I'll kick his rear end.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ularg posted:

Bear! Bear! Run princess you stupid piece of poo poo!

Love you Geralt.

And fine, I'll kick his rear end.

The writers and voice actor for Geralt make the game. 90% of Geralt's dialogue is delivered in a really hilarious neutral deadpan. This is good thing, because it helps players project their own emotions into his worlds, but also because it's really funny.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
On itemization:

Crafting/diagrams of weapons and armor should really have been restricted to things that might be worth crafting. I am never, ever, ever going to craft anything that isn't at least relic, let alone a Novigrad longsword.

Why are witchers' steel swords better for killing humans than the swords of those who focus exclusively on killing other humans? If anything, they would have to create better top-level gear on average, to make up for not being mutant badasses.

I deserved fuckin' Excalibur for beating that level 48 archgriffin. Following the main plot and doing sidequests you kill quite a few fearsome monsters; the fun is both in the challenge, and in the plot advancement, because the story and writing are so good. Killing arch-monsters who aren't plot related is purely for the challenge and is only momentarily satisfying. (Perhaps this is the developers' way of telling us that we should be roleplaying harder and have the sense not to do witchers' work for free?)

Tacky-Ass Rococco fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 5, 2015

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Snak posted:

The writers and voice actor for Geralt make the game. 90% of Geralt's dialogue is delivered in a really hilarious neutral deadpan. This is good thing, because it helps players project their own emotions into his worlds, but also because it's really funny.

It is SO jarring going from W3 to W2, especially as I played W3 first. In W2 Geralt is whispering everything and not nearly as gravel-y.

Voice actor just nailed it in this one.

Jack of Hearts posted:

I deserved fuckin' Excalibur for beating that level 48 archgriffin.

If its the one on that north tiny Skellige island, :agreed:. That bitch can take you down with 1.5 hits even at level 35. He is a tough bird. I actually crafted explosive bolts for him. Bolt, when he hits the ground, axii, strong hit (hope bleeding or poison procs), roll away IMMEDIATELY. Rinse repeat. Roll constantly because that griffin closes distance in 0 seconds and you're dead.

Most rewarding monster fight I can remember, I actually had to work at it as opposed to most of them which I was overleveled for. :v:

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 5, 2015

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ularg posted:

He's Witcher 3's "Conrad Verner."

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I'm seeing some really conflicting information about the Quest Count Reuven's Treasure: Loads of people say the best thing to do is to stealth the whole thing, but if you do that you don't find out the location for the treasure. On the other hand if you ask about it then kill everyone you can give that to Dijkstra and still find out where Dandelion is pretty easily. Is that the best option that gets Dijkstra to help you later or what? Cuz it seems like it is despite what loads of stupid guides say and the game making it feel like you hosed up.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Would it be bothering to post spoilery screenshots of quests? I'm still taking tons of screens. But guess the spoiler rules still apply (and spoilering images can get finnicky)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Ularg posted:

Would it be bothering to post spoilery screenshots of quests? I'm still taking tons of screens. But guess the spoiler rules still apply (and spoilering images can get finnicky)

I'm still playing through so spoiler tags or just linking to the images would be appreciated on my part, but the game has been out for some time now so.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bonds0097 posted:

One of my favorite pieces of storytelling in the game, that speaks not just about Geralt's world but our own, is early in White Orchard when you're tracking wild dogs with the local hunter (this is not really spoilery) and you run across the body of a dude he used to be friends with. The hunter mentions they were friends before "he had to leave the village" so Geralt's like "Oh, what's wrong with you? I can totally lift curses bro." and the hunter's like, "No, you don't understand, I'm gay." (he doesn't exactly say this, more along the lines of him and the lord's son being in love and getting caught in the stable) And Geralt just makes this helpless face (Geralt's facial emoting is fantastic in this game) and says "Oh."

It was this throwaway little scene that was so fantastic and spoke volumes. I loved how Geralt was all, "I can fix you." and then having him realize the problem wasn't with the hunter but with society and that he can't fix that. Anyway, the scene really stuck with me and I thought it was leaps and bounds above the writing in just about every other RPG I've ever played.

My favourite geralt face acting is the scene with the bloody baron's daughter where geralt's alone in the room with a cat for a bit and he just sort of squats down and they stare at each other for a bit in a resigned sort of way. So simple, so good.

Oh and my favourite VO is hilarious feminist pirate captain lady who's unfortunately the worst voice actor in the game so far. YES I ama WOMAN what are you going TO DO about that EH just as GOOD AS ANY MAN no I can't take you to skellige sorry it's too dangerous

edit:

quote:

This is good thing, because it helps players project their own emotions into his worlds, but also because it's really funny.

(Triss has just gruesomely murdered the gently caress out of someone)

Geralt: Triss. That was... a little premature.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 5, 2015

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm still playing through so spoiler tags or just linking to the images would be appreciated on my part, but the game has been out for some time now so.

I can just link to the images. I don't trust the spoiler tags to work on images all the time. So I think just putting them on the link itself would keep it from auto-imbedding depending on peoples browser extensions.

Most of them are just a bunch of "This is a really cool shot" or "This is a really interesting face". Uploading them now.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

sebmojo posted:

My favourite geralt face acting is the scene with the bloody baron's daughter where geralt's alone in the room with a cat for a bit and he just sort of squats down and they stare at each other for a bit in a resigned sort of way. So simple, so good.
I loved the part when investigating the Baron's family's living quarters. Geralt finds that doll and asks if Tamara is involved in black magic....

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Ularg posted:

I can just link to the images. I don't trust the spoiler tags to work on images all the time. So I think just putting them on the link itself would keep it from auto-imbedding depending on peoples browser extensions.

Most of them are just a bunch of "This is a really cool shot" or "This is a really interesting face". Uploading them now.

yeah, just link them. if someone quotes a spoiled embedded image it becomes no longer spoiler tagged because the forums were built in the 50's

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Over the whole game, Geralt's best face/voice acting starts whenever someone is about to ask him to go sidequesting and he just gets all resigned because he knows something is coming.

But yes, Geralt sperging out about werewolves and curses and poo poo when the hunter is just trying to tell him that he's gay was pretty funny.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Nephthys posted:

I'm seeing some really conflicting information about the Quest Count Reuven's Treasure: Loads of people say the best thing to do is to stealth the whole thing, but if you do that you don't find out the location for the treasure. On the other hand if you ask about it then kill everyone you can give that to Dijkstra and still find out where Dandelion is pretty easily. Is that the best option that gets Dijkstra to help you later or what? Cuz it seems like it is despite what loads of stupid guides say and the game making it feel like you hosed up.

Count Reuven's Treasure: Wait, how can you stealth in that quest? Aren't the only two options to fight or talk your way through it? Also the fighting path only feels like you hosed up if you feel like you owe it to Dijkstra to find the treasure location or something.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

ymgve posted:

Count Reuven's Treasure: Wait, how can you stealth in that quest? Aren't the only two options to fight or talk your way through it? Also the fighting path only feels like you hosed up if you feel like you owe it to Dijkstra to find the treasure location or something.

By stealth I meant talk your way through without starting a fight, sorry. And you have it backwards, the fighting path is where you find out about Dijkstra's treasure. The talky path is where you only ask about Dandelion. I felt like I hosed up cuz Triss got mad at me and also apparently you get less exp.

I do kinda feel like I owe it to Dijkstra though.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

ymgve posted:

If we're talking about the same part of the quest (delivering Triss to Menge), I very quickly decided I wasn't about to let a bunch of bitch rear end witch hunters manhandle Triss so Geralt was like "Okay, gently caress this charade" and we murdered everyone in the fortress. That felt like the right way to do that quest, Geralt is not particularly subtle.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Even Roach doesn't want to do this stupid side quest.

But this sidequest is right up Geralt's alley.

This game is really good at making interesting faces for NPCs.

Guy on the right,

On the spoiler side of things, these are the two screenshots that really show good facial animation. You can just see it clear as day on them.

http://imgur.com/ch8tf3l and http://imgur.com/BshH2iA

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

There is nothing wrong with wanting to murder all the witch hunters. All of them. Forever. Also Radovid. Forever.

Basically encounters with Witch Hunters actually cause me to have a knee jerk visceral reaction irl and I can't help but want to just murder all of them, which goes to show how good CDPR was at writing them into the game world. If one of the objectives of a DLC would be to wipe out the Witch Hunters as well as the Church of the Eternal Fire I'd be pretty ecstatic.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ice Fist posted:

There is nothing wrong with wanting to murder all the witch hunters. All of them. Forever. Also Radovid. Forever.

Basically encounters with Witch Hunters actually cause me to have a knee jerk visceral reaction irl and I can't help but want to just murder all of them, which goes to show how good CDPR was at writing them into the game world. If one of the objectives of a DLC would be to wipe out the Witch Hunters as well as the Church of the Eternal Fire I'd be pretty ecstatic.
poo poo, sign me up. I have repeatedly pissed off, fought, and killed random witch hunters that I see standing around because I want to loving murder them all.

edit: pissing off, fighting, and killing random witch hunters is especially funny because they always have a skull over their heads but I just cheese my way through.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I really want to kill Hemmelfart despite never actually meeting the guy.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Bort Bortles posted:

poo poo, sign me up. I have repeatedly pissed off, fought, and killed random witch hunters that I see standing around because I want to loving murder them all.

edit: pissing off, fighting, and killing random witch hunters is especially funny because they always have a skull over their heads but I just cheese my way through.

What is even more amazing about the writing is that they actually wrote in witch hunters that don't come off as complete sociopaths (at least on the surface). The hunter you meet that is (Velen questlin spoilers) Temara's squad leader actually seems like a decent person. Not that he'd hesitate for a moment to catch a burn the gently caress out of a witch/sorceress, but he's not the kind of scum you instantly meet in Novigrad where all they talk about is the last guy they tortured to death.

It literally seems like all the most sadistic and depraved of the Witch Hunter ranks ended up in Novigrad.

Priests of the eternal fire on the other hand, the only one of those guys that you can be sure isn't a sadistic rear end in a top hat is the one who sells you herbs on Temple Isle.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I really suck at Gwent, especially when the AI just throws the first round by putting a ton of spies in place. Stomps me the next two.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I was really surprised that Tamara and her commander never show up again. Something about them just really gave me the impression they'd be recurring characters and I'd see them later in Novigrad.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Nephthys posted:

By stealth I meant talk your way through without starting a fight, sorry. And you have it backwards, the fighting path is where you find out about Dijkstra's treasure. The talky path is where you only ask about Dandelion. I felt like I hosed up cuz Triss got mad at me and also apparently you get less exp.

I do kinda feel like I owe it to Dijkstra though.

I think you misunderstand what I mean by fighting path. You can literally start fighting the moment you're inside the doors and you are unable to talk with Menge because he along with all his guards go in full attack mode. You never learn about where the treasure is but you find a key and a letter which tells you where Dandelion is. This leaves Dijkstra pretty angry and you won't get your full reward, Triss slightly angry but with fingernails intact, and a whole lot of sliced witch hunters which is always a plus.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

ymgve posted:

I think you misunderstand what I mean by fighting path. You can literally start fighting the moment you're inside the doors and you are unable to talk with Menge because he along with all his guards go in full attack mode. You never learn about where the treasure is but you find a key and a letter which tells you where Dandelion is. This leaves Dijkstra pretty angry and you won't get your full reward, Triss slightly angry but with fingernails intact, and a whole lot of sliced witch hunters which is always a plus.

Sure, but you can also talk your way to Menge and then ask him about the treasure and he tells you its in a bank on Kovir, but then when you bring up Dandelion he gets suspicious of you and you fight the whole building and then you get the key and letter. Dijkstra seemed pretty happy, you still find Dandelion and you get to kill everyone so it seems like a win/win to me.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

I was really surprised that Tamara and her commander never show up again. Something about them just really gave me the impression they'd be recurring characters and I'd see them later in Novigrad.

Didn't Tamara's commander have a cough when you first meet him in Oxenfurt? I thought it would surely come up later as him having some kind of a deadly disease, with Tamara begging you to save his life because praying to the Eternal Fire ain't doing poo poo. Then you could convince them to get magical help from the pellar or some alchemist and they would see the error of their ways and ditch the Witch Hunters together and live happily ever after. Or something.