Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

I've been going through my quest backlog, and I'm trying to finish up Legacy of Allag. Is there any rhyme or reason to when a FATE is launched?

The CT unlock FATEs spawn fairly regularly, just stick around for a while and they'll pop up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Is there any way in Windows or FFXIV somewhere to change what sound device it's outputting to without having to wholly restart the client? I have to do they every time I plug in my USB headset or switch to it in Windows, and it's bloody aggravating.

The best you can do is find something that acts as a virtual audio sink, set FF to that, and then have it flip between physical sinks.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
WE ARE THE CLOUDWALKERS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzTJtWaUh18

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ciaphas posted:

Is there any way in Windows or FFXIV somewhere to change what sound device it's outputting to without having to wholly restart the client? I have to do they every time I plug in my USB headset or switch to it in Windows, and it's bloody aggravating.

This doesn't make sense. Windows outputs the sound to the connection in the audio card not to the headphone itself. Just plug something else in? I switch from headphones to speakers just fine.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

This doesn't make sense. Windows outputs the sound to the connection in the audio card not to the headphone itself. Just plug something else in? I switch from headphones to speakers just fine.

This does not work in the case of usb headsets because they are a separate audio device entirely. It's not the same as just plugging headphones into your existing speakers / card.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

So don't expect ludicrously huge spiked pauldrons. The biggest pointy armor piece you'll likely see is a summoner's horn.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bob NewSCART posted:

Can I deck my self out in the most outlandishly hosed up over the top plate armor in this game? I finally got in as a marauder but that lancer armor in the chat create preview looks sweeeet

Have you ever wished to wear a hat that had two bears yelling out of your ears? Well wish no longer!

Eej fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 5, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

WE ONLY PLAY CLOUDWALKING SONGS

The spikes are there to keep you from falling asleep tanking A1

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

nuru posted:

This does not work in the case of usb headsets because they are a separate audio device entirely. It's not the same as just plugging headphones into your existing speakers / card.

OK you got me, get something that hooks into the sound card. Or hope they release some drivers that fixes that.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

OK you got me, get something that hooks into the sound card. Or hope they release some drivers that fixes that.

It's wholly an issue with FF14 only setting the output source at start. Most games let you swap output in the options no problem.

I'm guessing it's related to PS3/PS4 support and it not being worth the effort for the small number of people like us who care.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

nuru posted:

It's wholly an issue with FF14 only setting the output source at start. Most games let you swap output in the options no problem.

I'm guessing it's related to PS3/PS4 support and it not being worth the effort for the small number of people like us who care.

Dont blame this on FF14 man, total known issue. I like learning computer stuff so I looked it up.

superuser . com posted:

This depends completely on both the application and sound card.

Generally speaking, applications can "request" sound on a certain device, (and give you the option to change devices).

Games on the other hand requests sound when they start running (through DirectX) and then keep playing through it. In some games you can restart the sound system by changing sound settings in-game, such as if the game offers 3d sound, or any sort of "advanced" effect, however generally speaking, volume alone does not do this.

The best alternative that is guaranteed to work is to get a speaker with a headset port as the moment you plug in a headset, the speakers will output to it. Unfortunately for you, I have never seen one with a USB headset socket.

Post if you want to do some digging, I would search google for computer questions.
http://superuser.com/questions/31097/how-to-redirect-sound-to-usb-headset-when-plugged-in

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Dont blame this on FF14 man, total known issue. I like learning computer stuff so I looked it up.

Which part are you saying is a known issue? If I plug in a usb headset while most games are running I can switch the audio device in Windows and/or in the game and things are fine. I have to restart FF14. There are ways to do this, and that quote you linked even mentions it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ciaphas posted:

This has been a gripe for me for a long time and I found something that works most of the time. Right click on the speaker in your system tray and click playback devices. Click on your headset and make it the default. It should switch all audio over but might not switch the FF audio.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
attn. all goons: do not communicate with non-skywalkers. you do not need them

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

This has been a gripe for me for a long time and I found something that works most of the time. Right click on the speaker in your system tray and click playback devices. Click on your headset and make it the default. It should switch all audio over but might not switch the FF audio.

FF14 will not switch to the new default audio device.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

nuru posted:

Which part are you saying is a known issue? If I plug in a usb headset while most games are running I can switch the audio device in Windows and/or in the game and things are fine. I have to restart FF14. There are ways to do this, and that quote you linked even mentions it.

Email Yoshi about it geez.

:gitgud: Headphones

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

It's just a quality of life thing most games handle just fine. It'd be nice, but I also don't really care if I have to restart the game before raid time.

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

Ciaphas posted:

Virtual Audio Cable, and programs like it, can do this. Technically FFXIV is always outputting to your default audio device, "Line 1", and you can choose to pump Line 1 repeat into anything you choose to on the fly without FFXIV knowing any different.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

nuru posted:

FF14 will not switch to the new default audio device.

Couldn't remember if it would or not. You do have to switch the default device for it to be on the headset when starting the app at least in my case.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

MohShuvuu posted:

Quarantine is now a 10 second dps check. Have fun, summoners.

For Savage, I hope?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

LegionAreI posted:

For Savage, I hope?

yes/maybe but definitely not normal

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Holyshoot posted:

yes/maybe but definitely not normal

As a non-savage bad, that both makes me happy and (if it's true) a little sad for Summoners having to hold cooldowns for that in progression. No fun when you don't get to press enormous numbers on the boss!

Drium
Jun 24, 2015
I don't know if any of our crafters on Excalibur read this thread, but I may need your help.

I've reached the Zodiac stage of the Relic quest-- I only started playing a month and a half ish ago now, so I haven't built the money to affort this stuff yet. After buying the four 100k gil items, I'm down to 1M gil, so if I shelled out full price for the eight items I'll need I won't have any left.

The items I need are:

Furnace Ring (HQ)
Perfect Firewood (HQ)
Perfect Mortar (HQ)
Perfect Pestle (HQ)
Perfect Vellum (HQ)
Perfect Pounce (HQ)
Tailor-made Eel Pie (HQ)
Perfect Cloth (HQ)

These seem to go for ~100,000 gil a piece on the market board which as I said is widely out of my garbage newbie price range. So I'm hoping slash begging that we have a few crafters in Please Be Careful who might have the mats for this stuff laying around, and who wouldn't mind cutting me a friendly price-- even if it was just 75k instead of 100k that'd be a huge improvement in terms of gil it'll leave me with.

Contact me in-game as Blossom Rose if you see me online, or reply here!

Drium fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 6, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Couldn't remember if it would or not. You do have to switch the default device for it to be on the headset when starting the app at least in my case.

Definitely won't switch to new default device. The only way you can do it is what Stufoo said. It is annoying considered most other games will switch or have the option to change sound device in game but oh well.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I somehow never got the hatchling for getting 50 commendations :(.

Is there anywhere I can check to find if I lost a reward somehow?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

MohShuvuu posted:

Quarantine is now a 10 second dps check. Have fun, summoners.

I've been perfecting swift photobooth robot murdering in regular as OT, I'm so excited :swoon:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Did you talk to the achievement fellow near the waterfall in Old Gridania?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SirPhoebos posted:

You have to go get item rewards from that guy by the waterfall in old Gridania. You only get titles automatically.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Drium posted:

I don't know if any of our crafters on Excalibur read this thread, but I may need your help.

I've reached the Zodiac stage of the Relic quest-- I only started playing a month and a half ish ago now, so I haven't built the money to affort this stuff yet. After buying the four 100k gil items, I'm down to 1M gil, so if I shelled out full price for the eight items I'll need I won't have any left.

dude, the relic quest is very much not worth the effort not that HW is out. if you really want a pretty weapon for glamours just put the quest off until you can do it without completely bankrupting yourself.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

dmboogie posted:

dude, the relic quest is very much not worth the effort not that HW is out. if you really want a pretty weapon for glamours just put the quest off until you can do it without completely bankrupting yourself.

How dare someone do a thing you don't approve of.

A bunch of that stuff has high markup on the MB, the request is not unreasonable.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Boten Anna posted:

How dare someone do a thing you don't approve of.

A bunch of that stuff has high markup on the MB, the request is not unreasonable.

Quickly someone could make some money by relisting those items higher. He has 900k gold.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Boten Anna posted:

I've been perfecting swift photobooth robot murdering in regular as OT, I'm so excited :swoon:

Dumping damage onto the time-out turn table bot isn't a problem. Finding a pubbie off tank who can hold its agro while I go to town sometimes is.

Those times when you lose GL3 the instant before you can hit the bot are the worst though. :smith:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Begemot posted:

You have to go get item rewards from that guy by the waterfall in old Gridania. You only get titles automatically.

:aaa: I did not know that.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Thundarr posted:

Dumping damage onto the time-out turn table bot isn't a problem. Finding a pubbie off tank who can hold its agro while I go to town sometimes is.

Those times when you lose GL3 the instant before you can hit the bot are the worst though. :smith:

I hate the one where berserk isn't up again yet, that's the worst one. If eye isn't prepped for some reason the melee DD with me might get a couple punches to the face, but robot murder is sometimes not a pretty business, ok.

I wonder if the timing is going to be mostly the same on A4S.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thundarr posted:

I always like it when the pubbie offtank has trouble pulling threat off garuda-egi.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I love offtanking A4 so pro tips for all the Warriors out there:

1) Getting sucked in the photoboth happens at specific times in the fight, with slight variation for exceptionally bad or good DPS. Learn when these are. It's always after certain mechanics (usu orbs) end, and your berserk cooldown timer is a good hint if you've lost track.

2) Once you know when Surprise Purikura is about to happen and it is no longer a surprise, prep storm's eye and make sure you have at least 3 stacks of Wrath/Abandon

3) When you're in, switch to Deliverance if you haven't already, apply Storm's Eye (you should have 4 or 5 stacks of Wrath/Abandon now), pop berserk and internal release, fell cleave, infuriate, fell cleave, then do hate combo

4) There will be one where berserk won't be up yet, that one sucks. Just prep the same way and do your best. If internal release and infuriate are up, it's probably best to only blow them if you're with a particularly terrible DPS, otherwise it's best to save for the next one

5) Look at this photograph, every time I look I get sucked into pneumatic tubes and forced to fight robots to death,

6) Seriously though, strength accessories

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Alternative strategy: Die so that a healer can see the room.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

I love offtanking A4 so pro tips for all the Warriors out there:

1) Getting sucked in the photoboth happens at specific times in the fight, with slight variation for exceptionally bad or good DPS. Learn when these are. It's always after certain mechanics (usu orbs) end, and your berserk cooldown timer is a good hint if you've lost track.

2) Once you know when Surprise Purikura is about to happen and it is no longer a surprise, prep storm's eye and make sure you have at least 3 stacks of Wrath/Abandon

3) When you're in, switch to Deliverance if you haven't already, apply Storm's Eye (you should have 4 or 5 stacks of Wrath/Abandon now), pop berserk and internal release, fell cleave, infuriate, fell cleave, then do hate combo

4) There will be one where berserk won't be up yet, that one sucks. Just prep the same way and do your best. If internal release and infuriate are up, it's probably best to only blow them if you're with a particularly terrible DPS, otherwise it's best to save for the next one

5) Look at this photograph, every time I look I get sucked into pneumatic tubes and forced to fight robots to death,

6) Seriously though, strength accessories

I am currently using str right side for A1 savage on my drk. The dream is real.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Stufoo posted:

Virtual Audio Cable, and programs like it, can do this. Technically FFXIV is always outputting to your default audio device, "Line 1", and you can choose to pump Line 1 repeat into anything you choose to on the fly without FFXIV knowing any different.

Thanks. Looks like Razer Surround is a free alternative that does exactly this, so I'll give it a look when I get home later tonight.

(To those like Tenzarin who suggested just getting 3.5 headphones, technically my default sound device isn't even the sound card, it's the video card, 'cos my default audio goes through HDMI into a splitter so both the office and the living room have access to the PC.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

SirPhoebos posted:

:aaa: I did not know that.

Don't feel bad. I can't think of anywhere in the game they bother to tell you that.

• Locked thread