Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

whoa are you okay???

I don't think anyone posting in this thread is okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Magmarashi posted:

I can't believe this thread has reached the point of going back 2 goddamn years to name and shame people for being hopeful for an unreleased/recently released game as some sort of complicated, unfunny 'gotcha!'

:ssh: a lot of them are actually nay sayers...

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

:ssh: a lot of them are actually nay sayers...

Those old posts don't seem very 'nay-sayer' to me. I'm sure the people are now, like the rest of us, but those seem more positive and hopeful. :shrug:

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Babe Magnet posted:

LotRO's .ABC system blows Starbound's out of the water. You can turn your keyboard into a midi instrument and actually play the music in real-time. It's what I thought Starbound was going to do and for the longest time it was the feature I was most hyped about

LotRO was where we got the idea from. If I recall the whole thing started as sideproject Bartwe did for fun one weekend.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah it always seemed like something quick and simple to throw in so it's not like it's a killer thing, I'm just a big gay baby for fun, unnecessary things in games like LotRO's instruments and cosmetic stuff. I figure the ability to actually play the instruments has a decent chance to show up sometime down the line but I won't be disappointed if it won't.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah it always seemed like something quick and simple to throw in so it's not like it's a killer thing, I'm just a big gay baby for fun, unnecessary things in games like LotRO's instruments and cosmetic stuff. I figure the ability to actually play the instruments has a decent chance to show up sometime down the line but I won't be disappointed if it won't.

hmm maybe you should just download like a midi sequencer or something my friend

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I have. Doesn't mean I don't want more of it!

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

So like

I'm really surprised nobody just took bits of my mod and kept running with it when I just stopped caring about this game. I figured someone on the starbound forums would, but I guess the terrible "nobody can use anything anyone else made ever" mindset of minecraft modding carried over.

That or people just stopped caring.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Tyty posted:

So like

I'm really surprised nobody just took bits of my mod and kept running with it when I just stopped caring about this game. I figured someone on the starbound forums would, but I guess the terrible "nobody can use anything anyone else made ever" mindset of minecraft modding carried over.

Nah your mod is poo poo for a poo poo game. hth

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

how can you possibly need attention this badly

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Surely it isn't that bad. But there is no link, and he has no other posts in this thread, so we may never know.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 6, 2015

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I bet he's the dick-chair guy.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Tyty posted:

So like

Our policy is to let people continue developing other people's abandoned mods, as long as they can show they have permission from the original mod author. It's happened a couple times as far as I'm aware.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Tyty posted:

So like

what is your mod even??

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
who gives a gently caress about permissions for mods? why is that even a thing?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Babies

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.

Doctor Schnabel posted:

:qq: copyright infringement applies to mods! I do not give you permission to quote my post as it is my intellectual property!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Wanna see these morons try parlor modding a sharealike

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Schnabel posted:

because modders are huge dumb babies mostly

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Jackard posted:

Surely it isn't that bad. But there is no link, and he has no other posts in this thread, so we may never know.

I could've sworn I posted about it. I think a new thread got made at some point? Kinda haven't paid attention to it for a year and a half.

Ahundredbux posted:

what is your mod even??

It was 1930s bug people. Turns out adding a new race to the game is waaaay too much loving work, and the race json file structures kept getting changed every update.

EDIT: I was also having a lot of problems coming up with ideas for armor and weapons beyond the type of spacesuit you'd see in comics of that era.

Tyty fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 6, 2015

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
hmm I don't think people care -that- much about a reskin

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Are races still reskins? I figured they'd end up with some gameplay differences at some point.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Maybe when they add gameplay to starbound :smugdog:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

As someone who also made a bug-person themed race mod and put a ton of effort and time into it, yeah gently caress race modding

Does the armor even do that thing where a race's armor will give you bonuses for complete sets yet?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

No.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So is there an ETA on when this game will be "complete"?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Tyty posted:

It was 1930s bug people. Turns out adding a new race to the game is waaaay too much loving work, and the race json file structures kept getting changed every update.

EDIT: I was also having a lot of problems coming up with ideas for armor and weapons beyond the type of spacesuit you'd see in comics of that era.

mod sounds like poo poo kill yourself

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
well i think your mod sounds neat but perhaps it is wiser to mod games instead of screensavers

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Knifegrab posted:

Every single moment, the development of the game closes in on half of how much time is left.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

Theyve said they can continue working on starbound for NINE YEARS without any additional income, that was about a year ago. So starbiund will be v1.0 in eight years and will be pretty much the same as it is now but with more grinding.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

LordZoric posted:

I remember what it was like to have hope.

I wanted Starbound to be a good game. I really did. I was a Chucklefish apologist full of hope and joy for a while.

Now I'm a cynical, broken man who hates video games. All of them.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
I know Inventory improvements were requested a bunch here so I thought this should be posted. New objects tab, and item sorting are now in the nightly:

http://playstarbound.com/7th-august-sort-it-out/

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

quote:

This has been one of my most anticipated features

InsertGenericName
Dec 13, 2011

"Ya see, bobby? Smoooooooth" - Hank hill.
Geez, you people are angrier than the steam comments for a Payday 2 announcement post.

Except you guys can carry on an intelligent conversation consisting of more than just ASCII penises and middle fingers..sometimes

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So quick question, when people say "haven't updated in a year" are they counting the nightlies? (which is upadted nightly)

InsertGenericName
Dec 13, 2011

"Ya see, bobby? Smoooooooth" - Hank hill.

Turtlicious posted:

So quick question, when people say "haven't updated in a year" are they counting the nightlies? (which is upadted nightly)

Why would we talk about that when we can keep complaining about the base game forever

But the answer to your question is "Probably"

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

have you tried the nightlies

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

well there was a pattern for a while of people saying actual reasonable things because supernorn was floating around and acted like he wanted to hear them

then he never responded to a single thing anyone said and bloodlust overcame the earth

now he just does like what he just did, throwing links into the howling storm like dropping care packages off into africa

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kly posted:

have you tried the nightlies

I did once but my computer monitor punched me in the face and then the game crashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

We're less a howling storm these days and more a bunch of moron kittens batting at butterflies, off by ourselves until we absent-mindedly happen upon this thread laying in the grass and start inexplicably hissing at it again even though it died months ago and is starting to smell.

• Locked thread