Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Half my stuff is with my friend who drove but I was able to get a good amount of Cthulhu and Glorantha stuff.

Guide to Glorantha Vol. 1-2
King of Sartar
Horror on the Orient Express
7th Edition CoC Dice
Dreamhounds of Paris
The Book of Ants
Trail of Cthulhu screen
A note board
Fate dice

I got the Guide, CoC dice, and Horror at auction for about $100 cheaper than msrp. The Ennies auction is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I need to find a good way to distribute all those to goons.

I recommend BattleCON at dawn. Or pistols.

Seems like a bunch of people from here were in the tournament. Might have played you at some point...

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.

Bottom Liner posted:

FFG line should go out the hall instead of wrapping around and blocking other vendors booths FFS. Miserably managed.

Chessex does not deserve like 5 different booths for the same poo poo when plenty of vendors don't even get a single one because of space.

Artist alley was meh and should definitely be moved to make space.

People with rolling luggage and beach carts in the exhibitors hall should be executed.

Cash is definitely king, you can get great deals if you pay cash (even more so when you have exact change).

The loving FFG line was INSANE. There was a lot of VERY LOUD bitching from vendors who got caught in the line. It was basically all that was being talked about by the little guys on that half of the hall.
Chessex should cut down on their 9billion booths, agreed.
I love the Artists, but am beginning ot think that they might be better in another space... or instead of moving them, move the kids activity area.
Rolling luggage should be burned if taken into the Exhibit Hall.
CASH CASH CASH :10bux:

BlackIronHeart posted:

For anyone who wasn't using it, the GroupMe app was really nice, very funny at times and it's the only reason I snagged GoT, thanks to Kim. Get on that poo poo next year.

fordan posted:

Never allow GroupMe to make noise. Almost always a bad idea. But the GroupMe was awesome for finding goons for games and food. Or abusing Mudcrab's ability to be in the exhibit hall early even if I failed to wake up early enough to get in on the action.

Le Woad posted:

Lastly, as everyone else said, huge props to Lauren and Kim for braving the FFG line and helping us all out.

I'm really glad I could help out with stuff again this year! Ya'll gotta let me know what the big ticket item is next year! :neckbeard:

....anyone wanna sell me Codenames? :smith:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

....anyone wanna sell me Codenames? :smith:

If you don't want to hang out with me and my copy of codenames, just say so. :mad:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Deviant I just added you on Facebook :ninja:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Bottom Liner posted:

Deviant I just added you on Facebook :ninja:

So you did. Orlangooooooooons~

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Artists Alley would be nice in another spot. As it is we saw people on the floor playing magic there the other day.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Len posted:

Artists Alley would be nice in another spot. As it is we saw people on the floor playing magic there the other day.

They were probably waiting in a line to get cards signed or something. (Steve Argyle usually has a booth, and rather than just sign things, he does alters and stuff, too, so his line goes realllllly slooooooow.)

One of the side rooms across the hall from the Exhibitor Hall would be a good Artist Room, though.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

A layer of "crash" tables and heavy person sofa area in place of the artist alley and perhaps a tram to the foodtrucks would do wonders for making lines fit around the girth of gencon's dealers room

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Speaking of places to crash, the dark room upstairs and the Rio Grande room were pretty much the best rooms at the con if you weren't actively out to buy stuff. One was quiet and had easy access to outlets to charge stuff and the other had free demos and free soda. Can't complain...

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

Rolling luggage should be burned if taken into the Exhibit Hall.

Only if we can also ban people and their costumes that don't fit inside a hula hoop? Some jerk-rear end was walking around the dealer's hall with a 3 foot Companion Cube strapped to his back while a lady was complaining that people kept hitting the 5 foot long, semi-rigid leather tail that was hanging off her rear end. There are already staffers at every entrance, I think, so it'd be nice if they could spot check folks and direct them to the cosplay areas in the concourse.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I met Undead Viking. Jealous?

Fine. I met Tom Vassal. Jealous now?

OK. I met the Critical Failure Cosplay crew. Now I know you're jealous!

Seriously they were super nice guys and totally cool to game with.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Two highlights of the weekend:

-The CAH concert was surprisingly excellent. They cracked jokes about how lovely their game is writin the first fifteen minutes, then went on to put on a very progressive variety show. The show featured two of my favorite comedians, and the bands weren't bad for being of the 'nerd pandering' genre. The whole thing felt like CAH apologizing for making bank off a lovely game for lovely people, and really wanted people to know that they support women and minorities despite their game making punchlines of rape and Hitler. Enjoyable show, but the game is still garbage.

- I had my first true dungeon experience with my brother and sister. I bought us three grab bags of tokens, and two had ultrarares. They'll be on eBay soon.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Indolent Bastard posted:

Fine. I met Tom Vassal. Jealous now?

Did he yell at you like his kids?

That reminds me, I need to look into going to Dive Tower Con this year.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Did he yell at you like his kids?

That reminds me, I need to look into going to Dive Tower Con this year.

Sadly no. He was polite, thoughtful and a good guy to talk with. It's hard to hate people when they are nice folks in person, regardless how shallow and shoddily produced their show may be.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Deviant posted:

Also the American moderator was a bit of a prick.

A BIT!?!?! Seriously gently caress that guy.

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah we walked a block past the food truck area and found the Yard House almost deserted, was nice to just chill out someplace cool and quiet for an hour.

This is why places like Loughmiller's is sweet. They are just far enough off of the beaten path that there is almost no wait.

Backno fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 5, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Indolent Bastard posted:

Sadly no. He was polite, thoughtful and a good guy to talk with. It's hard to hate people when they are nice folks in person, regardless how shallow and shoddily produced their show may be.

Dice Tower isn't that bad and I'm sure he usually is personable. He's also still miles ahead of some of the notables "honored" at Gencon.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I met and talked with Rodney of Watch it Played fame for about 10 minutes or so about AGoT 2nd Ed.
Great guy, and just as nice in person. I wanna play games with that dude.
He's a goon, but doesn't post/lurk much.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I went to the Secret Cabal podcast meet up and it was a good time Saturday. Rodney is part of their crew as well and they're all just normal dudes that love games. It's the only game podcast I can stomach and they cover a large variety. They also gave out a sweet swag bag that had a custom challenge coin and dice.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Well! Gencon was a thing.

I feel bad I couldn't meet goons (hi, I was the Colombogoon), but I DID bring a gencon newbie with me this year, and as the one driving the car my schedule was pretty much tied to his.

Mostly I spent a lot of time in the Auction House. Which is where most of my money went this year.

I especially enjoyed the So77 game I joined on... friday, I think it was!

The BAD side of it all? Well...

My hotel was ~$500, which is not bad. With conversion rates from USD to COP (colombian pesos) that was roughly a million COP when I reserved it.

By the time the con ended. Well... the dollar price rose from 2000 to 3000 COP in the meantime. ~1,500,000 COP.

:suicide:

god I´m glad I mostly brought cash instead of using my credit cards.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Bucnasti posted:

Where's the Gencon 2016 thread?
On it

I mean the thread stayed active for about 6 weeks after the convention last year, and I posted the new one in January, so there are only a few Gen-Con-threadless months really

I will clearly start posting the new thread in January every year though.

Unrelated to anything Harry & Izzy's is so good omg

TheHoosier posted:

Another year, another successful GenCon. It feels like everyone socialized a lot more this year, which was great.
Certainly I broke my Gen-Con Curse of making it to the Colts Grille Trivia and then never seeing anyone again. Though interestingly this year I basically did not even attend Colts Grille Trivia as there were no seats when I originally got there and then by the time I went to my room and got back there were three different tables that wanted me to sit with them :smith: So I did the only logical thing: I chose the least fun table. Wait

Deviant posted:

I could live in the auction all weekend.

TOVA!
You can, and more importantly--you should. That is how things work. Or at least how I ended up slowly transitioning from "guy who likes Gen-Con and plays a game sometimes" to "Just Leave Me At The Auction, Thanks"

QnoisX posted:

Which one of you guys paid for the old calendar and hug from the girl in the chainmail bikini?
Also she is 17, hope you feel tricked now whoever you are! We share a this-month birthday though, so I know he is safe next year. Well, legally safe. Probably still morally bankrupt.

djfooboo posted:

Another Sorry I didn't meet up with goons post :(

People said it was more crowded, they are liars. It was about the same, even less at times.

Bee coffee upped their game
Meeting Goons really is surprisingly fun and painless.

The exhibit hall was stuffed at all times this year, which I believe is the first time I have never felt like there was a lull. I QUESTION YOUR EXPERIENCE!!!

Also I hit way more stench clouds this year than in the last several years; I hope that is not a sign of things to come.

Bee Coffee really is awesome and I am sad I cannot have them across the street from wherever I currently am. Plus I completely goddamn spaced on the fact that they were open 24 hours, and god drat, at LEAST Friday and Saturday nights at like 1 A.M. I was thinking how awesome some good coffee would be but assumed it was impossible. Sad.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

GroupMe will make you look like a God to your friends. Games of RPGs they've always wanted to play, incredible food, endless games into the night, special deals and the locations and times of everything at your fingertips. At one point I asked people where a certain booth was, without knowing the game, and 4 or 5 goons were suddenly searching for it with me.
This is a really interesting point. It sort of is like having a Gen-Con Hivemind at your disposal considering how knowledgeable several people on there are about various things. O.K. when I say "several people" I just mean "Mudcrab Merchant knows everything and I can tell you about the Auction"

Pez posted:

I didn't make it into the auction a single time this year :(
THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT YEAR

Probably

I definitely did not see "Josh not auctioneering" coming though. I kind of assumed it was a given that he was on call forever.

Also Kerzoro you are the man and I am still going to buy you something if we ever meet up as thanks for Exchange Rate Endurance

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Quarex posted:

Unrelated to anything Harry & Izzy's is so good omg

Can somebody give me the lowdown on Harry & Izzy's I was under the impression they were just St Elmos version 2.0, do they have a significantly different menu?

One more story about Gencon this year:
I was at the airport on the way home, and I stop in the little shop to get a bottle of water.
This adorable little grey haired lady is working the counter and she's super sweet, and she asks me if I was there for GenCon. I tell he I was and that I had a great time. then she says "I hear you guys might be leaving."
I hold my breath because this could go someplace bad, and I try to deflect "Oh yeah, the show is getting pretty big they might need to find a bigger space."
She says "Oh no, they have plenty of space, it's that law the governor passed. It says they don't have to serve people who are you know not-christians."
Still holding my breath.
"And I just don't agree with that, what if they decided not to serve me because I have grey hair? That's not right."
Big sigh of relief, faith in humanity restored.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I didn't think Thurs/Fri/Sun were that bad. Saturday was a loving madhouse, though. Everything else seemed pretty normal GenCon, smells included!

For the "book hotels really early pre-housing-block" crew - is the $400 hotels.com/$475 refundable really what I'm hedging my bets with? Like, daaaaaaang.

Also, I got confirmation from the dude running Tri Indy that it's the first weekend in August. Gencon 2016 is Aug 4-7 :getin:

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
Well if we go back next year, I do not want to stay in the same place as this year. We stayed at the Alexander because that's what our group planner was able to get from the portal. Yeah...they charged us $80 to park there for 4 days plus some unknown charge of $150 extra that we still have to call and find out what that was even for. That's all on top of paying almost $1k for the room that never got cool and had a frosted glass door to the bathroom. Yeah, good luck not waking up everyone in the middle of the night if you have to pee. Oh, you might want more than 2 towels for four people? Crazy. I've enjoyed my stay more at chain motels. Places that might not have fancy lights or all glass walk in showers, but they have a loving microwave or a table in the room to play games on. Only upside of the place was they did allow access to one of their meeting room with tables for Gencon folks to play games. The downside being that it made us too lazy to walk half a mile back to the con to play games with goons in the big hall.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Bucnasti posted:

Can somebody give me the lowdown on Harry & Izzy's I was under the impression they were just St Elmos version 2.0, do they have a significantly different menu?

One more story about Gencon this year:
I was at the airport on the way home, and I stop in the little shop to get a bottle of water.
This adorable little grey haired lady is working the counter and she's super sweet, and she asks me if I was there for GenCon. I tell he I was and that I had a great time. then she says "I hear you guys might be leaving."
I hold my breath because this could go someplace bad, and I try to deflect "Oh yeah, the show is getting pretty big they might need to find a bigger space."
She says "Oh no, they have plenty of space, it's that law the governor passed. It says they don't have to serve people who are you know not-christians."
Still holding my breath.
"And I just don't agree with that, what if they decided not to serve me because I have grey hair? That's not right."
Big sigh of relief, faith in humanity restored.

They have a similar menu but they're much more laid back. They also have a great lunch menu that's like $18 or something that lets you get a shrimp cocktail, salad or desert, and one of two different sandwiches.

We cap off there every year and I get the $31 Izzy style strip, a giant loving shrimp cocktail (their cocktail sauce is the bomb) and drink GenCon exclusive Sunking Beers.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Stopped at h&I and had their pizza - was pretty good for $12.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I have to say, I encountered fewer rampant stank clouds this year, and I spent a lot of time in the dealer hall. Of course, this was offset by a smell of rear end and crotch cheese smell so thick from either a player or gm at one table that I left a game halfway through. I was gagging it was so bad.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah I had that with one of the players in a game I was in, they must have had halitosis or something, it was foul.

And of course, poo poo and Shake

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Bucnasti posted:

In addition to what Sigma-X said about it being laid back and the prices being way more "I just spent $250 on board games"-friendly, either I did a terrible job with the St. Elmo's menu the two times I went there years ago or Harry & Izzy's also has a much bigger menu, because I definitely do not remember there being anything like the prime rib pizza on the St. Elmo menu, and oh, oh my lord, prime rib pizza best pizza. WHY? WHY DOES IT MAKE SENSE TO PUT PRIME RIB ON A PIZZA? It just works.

Also Harry & Izzy's was surprisingly easy to get a seat at no matter when I went (and I went 3 times!)...could be because you have to walk past all of the food carts to get there, and it is technically a bit farther (across the street!) than the Ram, so lots of people would be siphoned off already.

Also I liked your Little Old Lady story. That woman was constantly wavering between Tea Party and My Mom and she went all-in My Mom!

QnoisX posted:

Well if we go back next year, I do not want to stay in the same place as this year. We stayed at the Alexander because that's what our group planner was able to get from the portal. Yeah...they charged us $80 to park there for 4 days plus some unknown charge of $150 extra that we still have to call and find out what that was even for. That's all on top of paying almost $1k for the room that never got cool and had a frosted glass door to the bathroom. Yeah, good luck not waking up everyone in the middle of the night if you have to pee. Oh, you might want more than 2 towels for four people? Crazy. I've enjoyed my stay more at chain motels. Places that might not have fancy lights or all glass walk in showers, but they have a loving microwave or a table in the room to play games on. Only upside of the place was they did allow access to one of their meeting room with tables for Gencon folks to play games. The downside being that it made us too lazy to walk half a mile back to the con to play games with goons in the big hall.
If there is one truism I have encountered in life, it is that business-luxury hotels are almost always confusingly useless for We Modern Folk(tm). I spend a lot of time in Hilton hotels currently, and virtually every one of their cheaper properties is more user-friendly for virtually anything you might want to do. The breakfast is way better at the Hilton than at the Hampton Inn or the Doubletree Suites, sure, but good luck comfortably getting work (or gaming in this case) done on your granite tabletop or without a microwave or refrigerator.

The Columbia Club was nearly as bad as what you describe of the Alexander; one of the only places in Indianapolis I have felt judged in the way we were 24/7 in Milwaukee, with old rooms and basically no frills whatsoever despite paying a premium to be there. Though I think someone did say they also are willing to let you use their conference rooms for gaming...IF you are dressed appropriately(!)

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Quarex posted:

If there is one truism I have encountered in life, it is that business-luxury hotels are almost always confusingly useless for We Modern Folk(tm). I spend a lot of time in Hilton hotels currently, and virtually every one of their cheaper properties is more user-friendly for virtually anything you might want to do. The breakfast is way better at the Hilton than at the Hampton Inn or the Doubletree Suites, sure, but good luck comfortably getting work (or gaming in this case) done on your granite tabletop or without a microwave or refrigerator.

The Columbia Club was nearly as bad as what you describe of the Alexander; one of the only places in Indianapolis I have felt judged in the way we were 24/7 in Milwaukee, with old rooms and basically no frills whatsoever despite paying a premium to be there. Though I think someone did say they also are willing to let you use their conference rooms for gaming...IF you are dressed appropriately(!)

Yeah, it was one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in, at least for function. Mostly it was just weird stuff. Like there were no overhead lights in the room, except the bathroom that had super bright ones...which made the glass door even worse at night. The only lights in the main area of the room were some under the shelf that had all of their expensive snack foods and a couple of spotlights over the beds that were pointed at the strange paintings hanging on the wall. Okay, so the astronaut wearing a suit made out of what looked like a quilt was kinda funny. The shower was just a glass door enclosing a tiled area, but the towel holder was inside the shower. So it would get wet if you hung it there. The toilet paper roll was hanging on a nice metal hook, but one side would fall off if you pulled on it. The tv was sitting on the dresser, so you couldn't put anything on the dresser or you'd block the IR for the remote. The only table in the room was shorter than the chair and about the size of a plate. More like a foot stool. Anyways, mostly just little stuff (other than the glass door to the bathroom that also didn't lock), but it was annoying. The weirdest thing? The elevator didn't go down to the ground floor. You had to take it down to the 2nd floor where the lobby was and walk by the desk to either the stairs or another elevator that only went between 1 and 2. I'm pretty sure the 1st floor for the main elevator went down to their maintenance/room service area, but still..it's weird.

Did you guys get breakfast? All they offered us was free coffee in the lobby. There was free coffee in the room, so kinda pointless. They had breakfast on the menu, if you wanted to spend $15+ on room service...but who wants to do that? Oh and they setup a table next to the door on the first floor selling muffins and such. Still $200+ a night for a room. Give me some doughnuts or cereal or something? Jeez. The people working there were nice though. You have to walk by the desk every time you go to your room or leave and they'd always ask if we had a good time at the con or if we needed anything. One Night slid off my stack of games on my way to their gaming room and a woman rushed over and picked it up for me. Enough complaining... :)

Btw, we called and they did refund the $150 charge. No idea what it was for, but it shouldn't have been on our bill. Dunno if that was just a sneaky way to charge more and they hoped we wouldn't catch it. Might want to check your bills too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Was I just blind or was there a lack of anime body pillow cases for sale? I don't remember seeing rows of them hanging above booths with post it notes covering the porny bits.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Len posted:

Was I just blind or was there a lack of anime body pillow cases for sale? I don't remember seeing rows of them hanging above booths with post it notes covering the porny bits.

I sure as gently caress remember them. You might have been blessed with Waifu-blindness.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yes, I seem to recall aisles 1200-1800 being nothing but anime body pillows.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

They were there. I had to explain to my fiancé what they were.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

djfooboo posted:

They were there. I had to explain to my fiancé what they were.

It must have been awkward trying to convince your fiancé to bring another woman into the bedroom in such a public forum.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Len posted:

They were at a booth right in the exhibit hall by the Magic tournament/gaming area in the big playing hall.

Like right by the Z-man booth.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Sloober posted:

They were at a booth right in the exhibit hall by the Magic tournament/gaming area in the big playing hall.

Like right by the Z-man booth.

Furoticon also had similarly-tasteful posters over by the Bezier booth.

I was amused that the majority of the body pillows were right next to the Tragedy Looper/Code of Nine demos.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They know their target audience.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I was flipping through my AD&D players handbook last night and saw this on the back page. I either forgot it was there or just overlooked it so many years ago:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Over two thousand people!

• Locked thread