Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

ayn rand hand job posted:

nah

a sw company wanted to use a room for a few hours for promotional/technical purposes

they were willing to compensate the nob profit for the use of space, and they were turned down because the place is run by anarchists

compensating someone for use of thing is called renting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Smythe posted:

compensating someone for use of thing is called renting

eh, wanted to make the delineation between the renting for a few hours as opposed to the lease that was posted
L

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
using non profit resources owns

you give them a tax deductible donation, they let you use their poo poo for "free"

everybody wins

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

oops i missed the part where the mongodb guy was willing to pay money for the use of the space

that actually sounds fair and reasonable. no wonder noisebridge had to poo poo all over it

[Noisebridge-discuss] MongoDB Office Hours
Bryan Reinero breinero at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 21:12:01 UTC 2015

I think donating to Noisebridge is certainly reasonable, and I'll happily ask for budget. I'd just need to know what the community agrees on as far as rate goes.

I think a generalized database group is fantastic idea and I'd be happy to participate in that group whenever asked or welcome to. However, I'm only really qualified or comfortbable speaking about MongoDB. It'd be truly innapropriate for me to organize an event that talks about other databases.

-Bry

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

ayn rand hand job posted:

eh, wanted to make the delineation between the renting for a few hours as opposed to the lease that was posted
L

i work for a nonprofit theatre and rent it for a few hours to every tom dick and harry who wants to pitch me a crumpled 5 dollar bill and poo poo on my sneakers and i do it with a smile

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Smythe posted:

i work for a nonprofit theatre and rent it for a few hours to every tom dick and harry who wants to pitch me a crumpled 5 dollar bill and poo poo on my sneakers and i do it with a smile

welcome to noisebridge

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
someone poo poo on the sneakers again

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
so noisebridge chucked the "die techie scum" lady out. but also kept out the capitalist pigs? maybe they're nihilists, idk

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

so noisebridge chucked the "die techie scum" lady out. but also kept out the capitalist pigs? maybe they're nihilists, idk

they're cretins that list "fight club" as their favourite book on their perpetually ignored okcupid profiles

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
fight club is a good book but the kind of people who list it as a favorite don't have any idea that it's a cautionary tale about them

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
reclaim your masculinity

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
are all maker spaces terrible like this or is noisebridge a unique flower?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Hesh Ballantine posted:

nb is uniquely terrible but maker space drama is everywhere

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Heresiarch posted:

fight club is a good book but the kind of people who list it as a favorite don't have any idea that it's a cautionary tale about them

i used to think it was just really good satire of toxic masculinity and whining bs but turns out nope the author was sincere. also i believe it (along with ladder theory poo poo) helped foment the modern popular mra movement so i no longer like it.

that's all i'll say about this though b/c this thread is awesome and it doesn't need my lovely derail

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

nb is uniquely terrible but maker space drama is everywhere

there is one near me, I thought about going to their open house and that it might be a good chance to network, but now im scared it might actually just be a squat for drifters and the mentally ill

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

Hesh Ballantine posted:

there is one near me, I thought about going to their open house and that it might be a good chance to network, but now im scared it might actually just be a squat for drifters and the mentally ill

i think the homeless is a problem unique to noisebridge because of their san frisco political ideals of ALL BEINGS SHALL BE EQUAL and I DARE NOT JUDGE THE LEAST OF US. the spaces i've been to in ny & pa are about providing a workspace to peeps who don't have a garage/basement to paint their warhams in. but then, this is the east coast, we're all catholic, ruthless, and are proud of our ability to ignore the homeless.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also the whole decidedly anarchic bent to noisebridge plays a big part in the shitweasel situation too. a maker space that doesn't subscribe to "do-ocracy" probably isn't going to be quite so dysfunctional

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hesh Ballantine posted:

depends on the leadership. all makerspaces attract terrible people but the right kind of leadership and rules can minimize it. noisebridge fashions itself as an anarchist commune with no rules, which means the terrible people rule the roost

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

froward posted:

i think the homeless is a problem unique to noisebridge
yes

froward posted:

san frisco
no

froward posted:

because of their political ideals of ALL BEINGS SHALL BE EQUAL and I DARE NOT JUDGE THE LEAST OF US.
except for all the times they kick people out and are totally inequal

froward posted:

the spaces i've been to in ny & pa are about providing a workspace to peeps who don't have a garage/basement to paint their warhams in. but then, this is the east coast, we're all catholic, ruthless, and are proud of our ability to ignore the homeless.
nah all the other hackerspaces around the sf bay that i've seen are p much the same as your experiences, and if anything apathy is the rule of the land. the only makerspace around here that spergs out about rules and poo poo is the pay-per-use place "techshop"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Hesh Ballantine posted:

I'd give it a shot - like someone else mentioned, nb's homeless/drifter population is mostly an effect of being in sf which has a ridiculous amount of homeless people (nice weather, good public services, natch)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CrazyLittle posted:

nah all the other hackerspaces around the sf bay that i've seen are p much the same as your experiences, and if anything apathy is the rule of the land. the only makerspace around here that spergs out about rules and poo poo is the pay-per-use place "techshop"

"tech shop" is the one where you have to learn to use a piece of equipment first and the stuff mostly works and isn't covered with human feces (or at least more than everything else in SF) right?

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

eschaton posted:

(someone poo poo on the DB)
no, that's how mongo always is

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Cocoa Crispies posted:

"tech shop" is the one where you have to learn to use a piece of equipment first and the stuff mostly works and isn't covered with human feces (or at least more than everything else in SF) right?

yeah and they charge per minute to use the fancier machines

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Leck posted:

no, that's how mongo always is

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Every space has insurance that requires classes of some kind before using anything that grinds, cuts, or burns. Tech Shops allegedly have people who will help you make your dreams come true, whatever that is. It's like retail for workspaces.

Spaces usually charge a monthly fee for access. Tech Shops are about 150/mo. Most spaces tend to be 20-50/mo. This is a pretty good barrier to crazy people. Despite this, conspiracy theorists & perpetual energy morons still show up sometimes :bahgawd:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

froward posted:

Every space has insurance that requires classes of some kind before using anything that grinds, cuts, or burns. Tech Shops allegedly have people who will help you make your dreams come true, whatever that is. It's like retail for workspaces.

insurance?

pfffft

*spends tens of thousand dollars in fixing faulty self done electrical work*

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Cold on a Cob posted:

i used to think it was just really good satire of toxic masculinity and whining bs but turns out nope the author was sincere.

i'd like to know where you heard this because he helped write the movie script and the director and producers were very specific in interviews that tyler and project mayhem and all that were meant to be A Bad Thing and that anybody who thought they were something to emulate was missing the point

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Heresiarch posted:

he's since come out and said it was unironically an endorsement of hte thing smart people read as him mocking

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

born on a buy you posted:

he's since come out and said it was unironically an endorsement of hte thing smart people read as him mocking

seriously can you link me to this

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Heresiarch posted:

i'll try to find it

to clarify and iirc, the satire about modern consumer culture was serious. his remedy for it, on the other hand, was not satire - he's an unironic anarcho-primitivist and really believes modern men are having a crisis of masculinity or something like that

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Heresiarch posted:

best i can find quickly http://www.gradesaver.com/fight-club-novel/study-guide/afterword-by-chuck-palahniuk

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'll try to find it

to clarify and iirc, the satire about modern consumer culture was serious. his remedy for it, on the other hand, was not satire - he's an unironic anarcho-primitivist and really believes modern men are having a crisis of masculinity or something like that

it's alright, i'll do some digging myself since this isn't really the thread for it (and trying to have this discussion anywhere on sa would probably turn into a clusterfuck anyway)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

born on a buy you posted:

ah, the starship troopers defense

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Heresiarch posted:

it's alright, i'll do some digging myself since this isn't really the thread for it (and trying to have this discussion anywhere on sa would probably turn into a clusterfuck anyway)

ok i can't find the interview where he was more explicit, but i found this. all i can say definitively for now is he honestly believes that there is a crisis of masculinity for the modern male as our traditional roles have been obliterated by modern society, he thinks fighting is awesome, and he is definitely a big fan of anarchism though not necessarily as a formal political movement (he's a member of the cacophony society in any case) (not referenced in the article but easily found elsewhere)

there is this as well, but unfortunately they reference palahniuk without specifying which are fiction and which are non-fiction so we can't 100% know which are directly attributable and which are interpreted by the article author vOv

and lastly this which shows his biases and disconnect from reality (i.e. he's right that men don't read but he completely glosses over the fact that 80+ % of authors are men and this is only changing recently, regardless of how many women read more than men)

ok end derail

The Ghost Writer
Jun 27, 2012
:ghost:
Shameful Outlet
hankering for a more primitive society ("government on a scale citizens can comprehend!") means no fancy science and r&d which means i no longer can put a fleshlight on some roombas and dongs on others and turn them loose to see which ones who bumps into (or gets bumped by) to determine which one(s) are gay and by how much so forget it t:mad:

The Ghost Writer
Jun 27, 2012
:ghost:
Shameful Outlet
in in case youre wondering - bet your not but gonna tell you anyway - degree of gayness of roombas has no effect on their cleaning abilities

but its not like their whole lives revolve around being gay or anything so no real surprise there

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://gizmodo.com/sfs-infrastructure-is-falling-apart-because-people-keep-1722251849

Is noisebridge leaking? maybe they only poop.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
doesn't SF have the most people making GBS threads in the streets in the US by a wide margin too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
maybe someone should disrupt the street making GBS threads with a new service called Poo.pr where you pay a monthly fee for access to a network of toilets guaranteed within 1000 feet of each other spanning the bay area

• Locked thread