Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Guffikins posted:

Hi I have a really odd bike-

It's a 2003 F650CS, which is somehow an oddly styled street version of the F650GS. They only made the thing for a few years, so I guess the motorcycle public just wasn't ready for a commuting thumper. I've put about 6k miles on it over the last year or so, and it's a weird little bike but I'm pretty fond of it. This is test packing for my trip next week from San Francisco to South Bend- I figured if I had to get there, and I had to get the bike there, I might as well do it all at once.

Tank-mounted passenger grab handles. HD considered these back in 1994. For 32 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Guffikins posted:

It's a 2003 F650CS, which is somehow an oddly styled street version of the F650GS. They only made the thing for a few years, so I guess the motorcycle public just wasn't ready for a commuting thumper. I've put about 6k miles on it over the last year or so, and it's a weird little bike but I'm pretty fond of it. This is test packing for my trip next week from San Francisco to South Bend- I figured if I had to get there, and I had to get the bike there, I might as well do it all at once.

Heh, that was badged as a funster over here! I see a few of them around, they look fun.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I saw one of those at a gas station once in the absolute dead of winter in upstate NY, the gas tank is actually under tail/seat right?

Cool little bike!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Marv Hushman posted:

Tank-mounted passenger grab handles. HD considered these back in 1994. For 32 seconds.

That's an Erik patent, right? Perfect for Hero's domestic market.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

clutchpuck posted:

That's an Erik patent, right? Perfect for Hero's domestic market.

I have no idea. I was making a love handles/girth joke that went wide of the mark, apparently.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Marv Hushman posted:

I have no idea. I was making a love handles/girth joke that went wide of the mark, apparently.

Well don't feel bad I made a passenger-in-front-India joke that also sailed wide.

Guffikins
Jul 4, 2004

Voltage posted:

I saw one of those at a gas station once in the absolute dead of winter in upstate NY, the gas tank is actually under tail/seat right?

Cool little bike!

Yep, and I get a big divot in front where the tank would normally be instead- I've got the original tank bag sitting in it in the picture, it'll be holding my camelbak for the ride east.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

Guffikins posted:

High five F650 buddy.

I've got a F650GS. Despite all of it's strangeness, I really like it even though it's performance is arguably agricultural. Check out the FAQs over at https://www.faq.f650.com lots of good info there.

The CS has a belt drive right?

Guffikins
Jul 4, 2004

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

High five F650 buddy.

I've got a F650GS. Despite all of it's strangeness, I really like it even though it's performance is arguably agricultural. Check out the FAQs over at https://www.faq.f650.com lots of good info there.

The CS has a belt drive right?

Yeah it's belt drive, which is one less thing to maintain (except for tension). Those f650 forums and FAQs are great, between that and youtube I found everything I needed to go over the whole bike and check everything before my trip.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

One of those park next to me every day. I kinda like it.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Guffikins posted:

What's up 650CS buddy!

Here's mine from a bit ago. I took apart the front end and plastidipped the stuff bag rails. Let me know how that luggage system works out, I'm looking to add a bit of storage.

Guffikins
Jul 4, 2004

Those are just a couple of Krauser bags that came with the bike when I got it- they're amazingly ugly, but having locking hard bags is so great I can't make myself care how dumb they look. Just two stupid ugly bags changes the way you can use your bike.

The bag is a cheap rear end Cycle Gear dry bag, but it was only 60 bucks and it fits on the bike so I can't complain.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

new bike day, woo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks far too tidy for you. Almost like it's never been repeatedly and violently crashed.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, has that even crossed a ditch or a cobbed-together ramp yet?

e: also is it a two-fitty

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Yeah CRF250L. All I did with it yesterday was take it home in the pouring rain (the day was sunny and beautiful until I was on the road home) and hit the dirt pile a few times to see what would happen.

Today I rode it to work, tested out jumping curbs, and on my way home I plan on taking a long back dirt road. So far, so good.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Went on some back dirt roads, met some tractors and ATVs, lots of large puddles, and some pretty rough terrain on a "road" that is actually more of a town maintained ATV trail that technically allows plated vehicles. I am thinking about taking on some rougher stuff tomorrow but I will let the weather decide that, though depending on how violent the thunder showers are, it could make for good video.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

My ratty rear end DRZ is done :D

Cost 65% of a new one, but oh man does it rip. Even with a lovely (klr) CV40 carb on it.

The FCR39 I bought used is predictably hosed up and I'm rebuilding it.

Details:
424cc stroker kit, stage 2 hotcams, wiseco valves, new(ish) oem cylinder, full fmf exhaust. 11.7:1 compression.

1-3 are stock DRZ gears, 4-5 are the ACT wide ratio kit.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

cursedshitbox posted:

Cost 65% of a new one, but oh man does it rip. Even with a lovely (klr) CV40 carb on it.

Details:
424cc stroker kit, stage 2 hotcams, wiseco valves, new(ish) oem cylinder, full fmf exhaust. 11.7:1 compression.

Awesome!

Speaking of DRZs, my exhaust rattled off where it screws into the engine today. Twice. :cripes: Loud. As. gently caress.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Chichevache posted:

Awesome!

Speaking of DRZs, my exhaust rattled off where it screws into the engine today. Twice. :cripes: Loud. As. gently caress.

Ooof, thst bike doesn't like you moving does it?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Did you have to modify the case or counterweight at all to use the wide ratio kit? I'm kinda tempted to do it to mine but the writeup I saw on ADVrider had someone shaving a few mm off engine bits to give it clearance which doesn't fill me with confidence.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
My spouses DR650 did that poo poo last week ciche hahahaha
E:

I kicked it when I got to work to show my manager its dropping bolts like his harley and it fell off the loving bike. I have a spare header gasket if you need one too.

you have to trim two shift forks and a little on one case. 5th gear is biiig.

Funny story. the stroker kit comes with a little instruction sheet saying you have to shave the rod if there is less than 1mm clearance between it and the counter balancer.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 3, 2015

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Details:

I think when I do my valves this winter I'm just gonna get stage 2 hotcams or a set of nice Webs. Not a huge fan of the stage 1's.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
All this thumper fixing talk has me considering... My blown up XR400 is still in my garage despite the fact that I sold it.

It currently makes no compression but has the pumper carb and stage 3 hotcam installed. The transmission was having an odd issue of randomly downshifting on heavy throttle inputs (like going down the front straight at GSS pinned in 4th gear). I figured I would need to fix / rebuild / replace the trans and do full bottom and top end as the piston broke into several pieces. I was told I could find a running XR400 for a grand, but that's been impossible.

I don't have the space but may buy a house within a few months. Continue searching for a donor bike to swap motors? Rebuild myself with little experience outside of a head swap on a Ninja 250 and some car work?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Flikken posted:

Ooof, thst bike doesn't like you moving does it?

Apparently it likes me moving even faster while blue flames shoot out the side and car alarms go off!

I don't think I can even blame myself for this part going wrong, right?:negative:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Applied some leftover rim striping I had, and dipped the front fender black. 3 layers of black and 2 layers of plasti dip 'glossy' which didn't really make it glossy but gave it more of a metallic look, as the dip is textured. Looks good though, but I wonder how it'll hold up. At least now I've confirmed it really does look much better with a black fender, so I can always buy a real one.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Excuse lovely mobile phone pic...

It's not my 40th birthday until tomorrow so this does not, in any way, constitute a midlife crisis.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's not my 40th birthday until tomorrow so this does not, in any way, constitute a midlife crisis.

Did you buy it?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

Did you buy it?

Well this is the post pictures of your motorcycle thread, so yeah...

This was taken as I waited for them to sort out the paperwork, there was a lovely bit of serendipity - I had a meeting just across the river from the dealer today, otherwise I wouldn't have been free to pick it up until Sunday, and like I say it's my birthday tomorrow, so it all came together nicely.

Also the radio started playing this just after I walked in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x29ug8gV5M

Seems like someone's trying to tell me I chose wisely.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This was taken as I waited for them to sort out the paperwork, there was a lovely bit of serendipity - I had a meeting just across the river from the dealer today, otherwise I wouldn't have been free to pick it up until Sunday, and like I say it's my birthday tomorrow, so it all came together nicely.

As a Ducati owner :smuggo: I can say: you did!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Someone's a Ducatisti! A Monsteristi, even.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

sofullofhate posted:

As a Ducati owner :smuggo: I can say: you did!

:smuggo::respek::smuggo:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Happy birthday, Twisto! I wish I could get a bike for my birthday, but instead we're going motocamping, so I feel like that's a good, close-ish second.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Grats on your new SuperDu... :(

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Whither Le Shiver?

Congrats, great choice.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This rules. Have fun, man.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Sweet, but wow if any bike was ever crying out for a tail tidy it's that one!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Sure but you were really waffling for a while and it looks like it's still at the dealer.

Little do you realize, that song just auto plays whenever a new customer walks in.

Congrats on the new bike, let us know how it is. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I find it hilarious that you were put off a Suzuki by their terrible perceived quality and bought a ducati. I want to see what it looks like after one London winter outside.