Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Veritek83 posted:

Yeah, though (anecdotally) it's much less worse these days.

I'm wondering if I could squeeze myself in as a single diner early on a weeknight without the refuckulous wait. Their food is really up my alley and I want to try it. I'd have to have alternate plans, though- what else is worth the metro ride from Springfield near there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Wroughtirony posted:

I'm wondering if I could squeeze myself in as a single diner early on a weeknight without the refuckulous wait. Their food is really up my alley and I want to try it. I'd have to have alternate plans, though- what else is worth the metro ride from Springfield near there?

I would guess your wait wouldn't be more than ~15 minutes in a situation like that, assuming you get there right around 5:30. Happily, there's a ton of stuff right there- Ted's Bulletin used to be great (not that it isn't anymore, I just haven't been in a long time). Lola's & Molly Malone's have always been fine places for a drink and some okay bar food.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Wroughtirony posted:

Might be easier alone, but when I went in a party of 2 about a month ago mid-week, you basically had to get in line half an hour or so before opening if you wanted to get into the first seating. If you don't, the next table probably won't be available until about 7. Getting there at opening time is not early enough.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Might be easier alone, but when I went in a party of 2 about a month ago mid-week, you basically had to get in line half an hour or so before opening if you wanted to get into the first seating. If you don't, the next table probably won't be available until about 7. Getting there at opening time is not early enough.

Yeah, gently caress that noise. Okay, what else is decent and near there?

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

BLARGHLE posted:

Been a few years, but Belga Cafe is a block away. Ted's and Matchbox are near, but there are a few locations for those anyways. A friend of mine was saying Bearnaise on Pennsylvania Avenue was good, so about three or four blocks from Barrack's Row.

Also, not sure if you can still do it, but at Rose's you can order at the bar. I went last year in June, so before all the national press, showed up at 5:15PM, could have gotten a table for 2 for first seating, but my wife was not ready to eat. They put us down for second seating (said about 7PM), said we could hang out at the bar, and we snagged two seats around 5:40PM.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

BLARGHLE posted:

Sushi Capitol is the best sushi in DC. Get the omakase for $50. It's one of the best bargains in the city. Montmartre is also nearby and last time I went there it was excellent.

DARPA Dad fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 26, 2015

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

DARPA Dad posted:

Sushi Capitol is the best sushi in DC. Get the omakase for $50. It's one of the best bargains in the city. Montmartre is also nearby and last time I went there it was excellent.

Agreed for the most part. I was there a few months ago and it was incredible. Sushi Taro has slightly better food in my opinion, but it's more than twice as expensive and the ambience is totally different.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

kedo posted:

I had a Ben's open up near me recently (Rosslyn). I pop over now and then for lunch which is nice, but it's still better drunk food than anything. The main reason to go there is to watch the servers heckle all the office workers with the same bad jokes over and over again.

How's that one compare to U St.? I have a few friends from out of town who always want to go when they're around, and Rosslyn is way easier for me to get to.

SUBFRIES posted:

Been a few years, but Belga Cafe is a block away.

I haven't been here in so long and I miss it (and the old prices pre-Top Chef). Augh now I'm hungry.

kedo posted:

Sushi Taro has slightly better food in my opinion, but it's more than twice as expensive and the ambience is totally different.

But totally worth lining up before opening for happy hour imo.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Veritek83 posted:

Yeah, though (anecdotally) it's much less worse these days.

Ben's is solid for half smokes, etc. but isn't really about the food. If you're really looking for the good sausage, I like Meats and Foods.

Meats and Foods is great, and the couple that run it are really nice people.

Edit - I see we already had this conversation on the previous page. :)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Veritek83 posted:

Ben's is solid for half smokes, etc. but isn't really about the food.
You have to stand around for ages to get barely decent food. What am I missing here?

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

^^^ don't go during prime-time. Or, hit it in the morning before the poo poo-show starts. I usually stop in on the way to work for a half-smoke breakfast.

For the 3rd and Penn places I'm trying Stanton and Greene tonight, have heard good things, will report back.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

You have to stand around for ages to get barely decent food. What am I missing here?

It's about fantasizing about reenacting the scene from State of Play

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Admittedly, I haven't been in 5+ years, but every time I went it was either mid-day or I was real drunk and ended up running into DC-area celebrities (Backyard Band, Mayor Berry, etc)

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

DARPA Dad posted:

Where can I get good soup dumplings? Or soup dumplings at all, really.

Saw this today, the thread mentioned a few of the spots from this list:

http://dc.eater.com/maps/9-restaurants-soup-dumpling-xiao-long-bao-dc

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

ChickenArise posted:

How's that one compare to U St.? I have a few friends from out of town who always want to go when they're around, and Rosslyn is way easier for me to get to.

Delayed reply, I was out of town, hope I'm not too late!

It's assuredly the easier location in every way. There's ample parking out front and in the surrounding neighborhood (be careful to follow the parking rules in the lot, it's patrolled by a predatory towing company), there's a bunch of seating and it's never crowded. However if you care about ambience it's lacking. It feels like what Starbucks is compared to other coffee shops in the world; sterile and without much personality.

Half smokes taste exactly the same though, so :shrug:

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Anyone here have some recommendations for Boston? And no, I did not misspell Balston.

Tried looking for a Boston dining thread, no luck, but figured I'd ask in case anyone here has any tips from travel / visits / living up there.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

SUBFRIES posted:

Anyone here have some recommendations for Boston? And no, I did not misspell Balston.

Tried looking for a Boston dining thread, no luck, but figured I'd ask in case anyone here has any tips from travel / visits / living up there.

Interest in beer? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470054&pagenumber=1010&perpage=40#post446283917

Trillium is amazing imo, but teeny tiny. For food I really like the Public House, and also check out Craigie on Main. If you want ramen, try http://www.yumewokatare.com/

There's tons more. It's a cool city with excellent food and drink.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

ChickenArise posted:

Interest in beer? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470054&pagenumber=1010&perpage=40#post446283917

Trillium is amazing imo, but teeny tiny. For food I really like the Public House, and also check out Craigie on Main. If you want ramen, try http://www.yumewokatare.com/

There's tons more. It's a cool city with excellent food and drink.

Public House is my "PLEASE, CAN WE GO THERE" every time we visit my wife's family, and I've been to Lower Depths and Lord Hobo. Will try to get ramen for a quick bite, mainly looking for some place nice for my sister-in-law's birthday.

Tried the general Boston thread, got one recommendation so far, but it looks like a spot that is near impossible to get a reservation two weeks out.

spankminister
Apr 11, 2012
I'm like 7 pages too late for burger recs, but I've become a huge fan of Social Burger off 123 in Vienna, more so than Elevation/Five Guys, and my previous mainstay, Smashburger. They have pretty solid sauces, soft chewy buns, and they will fry an egg with a slightly runny yolk right on there, which has become addictive. The fries are a little pricey and I haven't tried their milkshakes.

CronoGamer posted:

The general DC chat thread just talked about dumplings this week.

So, unfortunately nothing specific on soup dumplings, but those might be good places to start looking. I've also heard of House of Fortune in Maclean, specifically on soup dumplings.

House of Fortune in McLean (not to be confused with Fortune, the now faded dim sum place) does have great soup dumplings. Really, all the traditional Chinese dishes there are pretty drat good. The ones at Bob's Shanghai in Rockville are also pretty good.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Do these count? http://peterchangarlington.com/soup-steam-pork-buns/

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wife and I went to Mastros a few weeks ago. I've had one of the best restaurant steaks ever at the one in L.A. and when I heard they were opening one here I was excited. They're getting enough locations that it's starting to look chainy but eh, here goes:

Their claim to fame is the seafood tower that they'll customize with whatever you like, we had different types of oysters and a few types of shrimp with different sauces. Visually impressive, and a good way to contrast different regions of seafood. True to their name their steaks are great, and like most really good steakhouses everything is a la carte. I got a KC strip with some foie gras on top. Steak was cooked exactly as ordered and very delicious.

The GREATEST thing though is the live music. They have live music every night and the duo we had was loving fantastic. The pianist and vocalist were terrific and I found myself stopping conversations to enjoy their renditions pretty often! I'd seriously go there just to listen to their live music, which is kind of a shame since their bar isn't that great. They don't appear to have any defining cocktails and their sommelier didn't seem that knowledgable to me.

Also like all good steak houses, expect to pay, you'll easily spend $250-300 for a couple before alcohol. So if your firm is taking you out or paying for an event space, I'd recommend Mastro's without reservation.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Any great places in silver spring/wheaton? So far Mandalay is the only one I've been impressed with. Any reason to avoid DC traffic I'll take!

Also, my boyfriend loves seafood. What is the best place for seafood in the DC area? Datey type. Also any good crab places would be appreciated too, he loves that poo poo.

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 5, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Any great places in silver spring/wheaton? So far Mandalay is the only one I've been impressed with. Any reason to avoid DC traffic I'll take!

Also, my boyfriend loves seafood. What is the best place for seafood in the DC area? Datey type. Also any good crab places would be appreciated too, he loves that poo poo.

Quarry House Tavern is a dive bar I loved going to when I had friends in that area. Jewel of India is great.

Timbuktu up near Columbia has really good crab cakes. Some of the reviews within the last year are mixed so I can't say how things are recently.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Ren's Ramen in Wheaton is great.

For crabs, either the Quarterdeck in Arlington or go to the DC Waterfront and get some crabs from the fish mongers there. They will steam them for you free of charge and put them in a bag for you to either take home or find somewhere nice to sit down and have a picnic. Seafood in general, the just-opened Brine in the Merrifield Mosiac District is pretty great. Go there *now* on a busy night when the chef will be there. For the absolute best of the best, Fiola Mare is what you want. It is hugely expensive but you asked for the best.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

For fancy DC seafood, try BlackSalt. For not fancy, I'll second the fish market- get a ton of crabs and just eat 'em right there.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
BlackSalt has a consistency problem but when they're on, they're on.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

spankminister posted:

I'm like 7 pages too late for burger recs, but I've become a huge fan of Social Burger off 123 in Vienna, more so than Elevation/Five Guys, and my previous mainstay, Smashburger. They have pretty solid sauces, soft chewy buns, and they will fry an egg with a slightly runny yolk right on there, which has become addictive. The fries are a little pricey and I haven't tried their milkshakes.

House of Fortune in McLean (not to be confused with Fortune, the now faded dim sum place) does have great soup dumplings. Really, all the traditional Chinese dishes there are pretty drat good. The ones at Bob's Shanghai in Rockville are also pretty good.

Might have to check Social Burger out. Every time I want a burger in the Vienna area, I either go to Elevation off of 123, or BGR over in Tysons.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I've found that Marumen (roughly 20 minute walk from the Fairfax/Vienna metro... easier to just drive though) to be the best in the DC area.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Ray's Hell Burger is still the best burger.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

DARPA Dad posted:

Ray's Hell Burger is still the best burger.

It was really quite ordinary last time we went.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I had a half-smoke with the works at Ben's on U st last week and it was pretty damned good. It's still just a chili dog but it was damned tasty and the fries were cooked properly. Cash only though and the ATM charges $3.50. What a racket! :)

Ate at Kapnos a few months ago. It was really weird seeing George on the line making waffles instead of on my tv. The eggplant dip (melitzanosalata) was spectacular. The baked eggs were great. The gyro (not really, more of a lamb sandwich) needed seasoning to be honest. The chicken and waffles were not really all that impressive. Flavor good, but skin flabby, amaranth hard on the teeth.

I used a washington post article to reproduce the eggplant dip at home. Good stuff.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 6, 2015

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I am a bit of a crab snob, here is a crab primer.

If you have some time to kill, the best crabs I've had at a restaurant within reasonable driving distance of the city are at Cantler's near Annapolis. It's a pain in the rear end to get to, and the wait can be very very long, and they sometimes run out of crabs, but it's worth it. Fresh, local crabs are delivered by boat to the restaurant every morning and then put in a pile in front of you on the table. You can't beat it as crab restaurants go.

The crabs you will get at the DC seafood market will be OK, but frequently they are saltier crabs from the Carolinas or Louisiana and not Maryland crabs. Another option if you don't want to go the restaurant route is to drive about an hour outside of the city, across the Bay Bridge, to either Mr. B's Seafood (a surprisingly professional operation run by family that sells crabs out of their back yard) or Hunter's Crabs. Specifically ask for local crabs. You will typically get better crabs buying them yourself vs. getting them at a restaurant.

Also the next month or two is probably the best time for crabs in the area, so you should get some great ones. There were not a lot to be had earlier in the season.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

dy. posted:

The crabs you will get at the DC seafood market will be OK, but frequently they are saltier crabs from the Carolinas or Louisiana and not Maryland crabs.

I did not know that! They're still delicious though.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

dy. posted:

If you have some time to kill, the best crabs I've had at a restaurant within reasonable driving distance of the city are at Cantler's near Annapolis. It's a pain in the rear end to get to, and the wait can be very very long, and they sometimes run out of crabs, but it's worth it. Fresh, local crabs are delivered by boat to the restaurant every morning and then put in a pile in front of you on the table. You can't beat it as crab restaurants go.

Cantler's is money. There's also...Mike's? I think? which is just outside Annapolis. I used to work at a hotel front desk in Annapolis and those were the two places we told people to go instead of going to one of the terrible places on Main Street.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Veritek83 posted:

Cantler's is money. There's also...Mike's? I think? which is just outside Annapolis. I used to work at a hotel front desk in Annapolis and those were the two places we told people to go instead of going to one of the terrible places on Main Street.

I was just at Mike's this weekend. Crab was good but I can't recommend it with the Quarterdeck so much closer. The wait for a table was about 1.5 hours and the crab was no better than the Quarterdeck's. Being right on the water is nice, though.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
I completely forgot to mention Crisfield's Seafood in Silver Spring. Order the flounder stuffed with crab meat. It is delicious.

edit: Not the flounder. The rockfish. The flounder is great too but the rockfish beats it and only for a dollar more. I also recommend their seafood bisque.

DARPA Dad fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 6, 2015

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

kedo posted:

I was just at Mike's this weekend. Crab was good but I can't recommend it with the Quarterdeck so much closer. The wait for a table was about 1.5 hours and the crab was no better than the Quarterdeck's. Being right on the water is nice, though.

Good to know- I haven't been back to Annapolis in almost 7 or 8 years, but was thinking about making a visit in the next couple of months.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
If it hasn't been said yet the National Art Gallery has an all you can eat buffet for 20 but it serves 5 star quality food and is fantastic.

There is a rotating menu but when I was last there it was cold cuts of prime rib and some French things I can't pronounce but were good.

Thunder Moose fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Aug 8, 2015

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

DARPA Dad posted:

I completely forgot to mention Crisfield's Seafood in Silver Spring. Order the flounder stuffed with crab meat. It is delicious.

edit: Not the flounder. The rockfish. The flounder is great too but the rockfish beats it and only for a dollar more. I also recommend their seafood bisque.

Definitely checking this place out. Will hit up black salt when I get free time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.
Went to Le Diplomate recently for brunch and the food was excellent. A couple of my friends have gone there several times and enjoyed each outing, so they seem to have consistency down as well. Thinking about going back to try their dinner menu.

• Locked thread