Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
TLP raiding sounds like barrels of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Republicans posted:

Our turn for Inny in the rotation popped at 1:18 in the loving morning. We cobbled together about 60 people then botched the first pull. Instead of trying again a bunch of us said "this is loving stupid" and went back to bed, leaving TL and Apok to fight over him.

I wonder what the rotation on Lockjaw is like. I don't much care for waiting an extra three months for kunark but this 3 hour window after spawn poo poo is for the birds.

It's 2 hours on Lockjaw and at the 2 hour mark it becomes open to all so I guess your are stuck failing at 15 year old content and the rest of the server laughing at you.

Rotation Mobs still alive two hours after spawning become FFA - This is the only factor in making a mob FFA - Wiping does not make a Rotation Mob FFA. At the 2 hour marker, the mob becomes FFA, even to current engagements.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Did I miss the tlp rush? If not what server has the most people?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Mnoba posted:

It's 2 hours on Lockjaw and at the 2 hour mark it becomes open to all so I guess your are stuck failing at 15 year old content and the rest of the server laughing at you.

Rotation Mobs still alive two hours after spawning become FFA - This is the only factor in making a mob FFA - Wiping does not make a Rotation Mob FFA. At the 2 hour marker, the mob becomes FFA, even to current engagements.

Well we just killed CT no problem so there's that. I just don't think it would be terribly against the spirit of the game if they devs nudged the spawn timers for raid targets closer to prime time when people with lives can actually make themselves available.

napster of meat
Nov 12, 2000

Is anyone selling Kronos cheap like for cash? I'd like to buy at least a few.

Apze
Jul 4, 2014

Republicans posted:

Well we just killed CT no problem so there's that. I just don't think it would be terribly against the spirit of the game if they devs nudged the spawn timers for raid targets closer to prime time when people with lives can actually make themselves available.

I don't really think that's helpful for classic. The loot is meaningless and the fights are easy, the only thing that matters is epeen derived from the kill, of which the only difficult part is the logistics/race. Rotations in classic are silly.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Apparently they have figure out what the plat exploit was and are in the process of handing out bans.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Jotto posted:

Apparently they have figure out what the plat exploit was and are in the process of handing out bans.

If you're logged into the EQ forums, then your game account gets banned, you can continue to post on the EQ forums until your login credentials time out. (Might need to be logged in through a pinned tab?)

I'm sure none of the fine, upstanding posters here would ever make use of that information.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
God loving dammit. What have I done.

(inc beefy, nerdy post)

This is my old wood elf druid, born April 24, 1999, camping in North Karana on Xegony for what I was sure was the last time in the fall of 2001:

Some good college buddies and I played EQ from launch day, suffering through those first hellish months, and on many afternoons and nights had lots of genuinely good times inside this viciously abusive game. And we all still graduated college (in under 5 years.)

The druid wasn't my first or only character, but he was my main. I don't think I was very good. Or maybe I was just too fearful of corpse retrievals and XP penalties, and so tended to stay away from dungeons, opting to be distracted by quests and tradeskills that were immature at the time, like baking. Low risk, low reward, zero profitability.

So after two and a half years, and only reaching a pitiful level 37, it was time to jump ship and check out the new hotness, Dark Age of Camelot. I gave away everything Uvien had, except for some food and drink, a few batwings, his Testament of Vanear, and a stack of ales (our guild was the Drunken Badgers; I kept some on him at all times.)

But recently someone told me about Project 99. I read up on it, wandered into the Games forum, and instead started reading this thread about 2 weeks ago. Curiosity overcame me, and I made a new account and played through the tutorial, following advice in the OP. I remembered my old email address and billing info, but since that email account is dead, I had to get help from customer service. A few exchanges later and I was logging into my old account, with a naked wood elf sitting at the character screen.

He was still 37, still in the Drunken Badgers, still broke as gently caress, and even still had SoW active. And I think I want to keep playing him. This game doesn't seem as punishing and vicious as it was 16 years ago, and nostalgia can be powerful sometimes.

But what should my unfrozen caveman druid do next? I had Kunark and Velious but quit before Luclin. I never saw a mount. Never augmented anything or visited a guild lobby. Spells come every level now, and while I'm missing several ports, apparently I have Zephyr spells now? I couldn't remember where I was bound, so as a precaution before gating, I memorized another Ring spell, just in case. Turns out I was bound in Firiona Vie. And turns out that place is not the same as when I left. I saw some half elf corpses, several huge golems nearby, and got the gently caress out. Also, this UI is a beast now, so I'm still messing with that.

Since I was still in North Karana, I killed a few wisps, sold and turned in some lightstones for a few plat, then made my way to West Freeport to buy the PoK teleport spell. I'm learning my way around there, but I have no armor and no money. And like I said, I went through the tutorial with a different character already, and I've read close to 75% of this thread, so I'm a little up to speed, there's just so. much. stuff. that's new to me.
  • I have lots of stuff to /claim, but don't know which ones I should do right now, and which I should wait for. Several have bundles of armor and weapons that say they're level appropriate. But if there's some cutoff range, like I'd get substantially better stuff if I can just get to level 40, then maybe I should hold off?
  • Similarly the game tells me I have several veteran rewards available. I haven't claimed them yet though. Those are only available to a single character per account, right?
  • I have over 3100 loyalty crowns. I found the lady NPC who accepts these, but don't know if it's wise to spend them on her. Are loyalty crowns ultra rare to come by? 436 will get me a bag of platinum, maybe I should just do that to get me off the ground right now?
  • Speaking of, it looks like there are tons of other types of alternate currency now. Are any of those important or helpful?

I know there's always the option to copy to test, but I want to hang out on a live server for now. I'm thinking I should hire a tank merc and go fight some poo poo somewhere to make some money, but I'm worried about having no gear, and therefore not much mana. Back in the day, giants were a good source of plat, but could a tank merc of my level handle that? I want to play casually, and I don't think I'll ever get good enough to raid poo poo, I just don't know a drat thing any more.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

utonium posted:

(inc beefy, nerdy post)

This is my old wood elf druid, born April 24, 1999, camping in North Karana on Xegony for what I was sure was the last time in the fall of 2001:

• I have lots of stuff to /claim, but don't know which ones I should do right now, and which I should wait for. Several have bundles of armor and weapons that say they're level appropriate. But if there's some cutoff range, like I'd get substantially better stuff if I can just get to level 40, then maybe I should hold off?
  • Similarly the game tells me I have several veteran rewards available. I haven't claimed them yet though. Those are only available to a single character per account, right?
  • I have over 3100 loyalty crowns. I found the lady NPC who accepts these, but don't know if it's wise to spend them on her. Are loyalty crowns ultra rare to come by? 436 will get me a bag of platinum, maybe I should just do that to get me off the ground right now?
  • Speaking of, it looks like there are tons of other types of alternate currency now. Are any of those important or helpful?

I know there's always the option to copy to test, but I want to hang out on a live server for now. I'm thinking I should hire a tank merc and go fight some poo poo somewhere to make some money, but I'm worried about having no gear, and therefore not much mana. Back in the day, giants were a good source of plat, but could a tank merc of my level handle that? I want to play casually, and I don't think I'll ever get good enough to raid poo poo, I just don't know a drat thing any more.

First off, you're on the normal server with the most goons. We're all max level and mostly just raid, but we're still there. Put serverwide.gchat:fygm in your /autojoin.

If any of your claim items are 999, just go ahead and claim them if they sound neat. Level appropriate means they give you defiant gear for your level, same stuff that will be in the bazaar for about 100-1000p.

You can claim vet rewards on a number of character equal to your years entitled. Each character gets all the vet rewards abilities. You probably have like 7 years entitled, so go ahead and claim them on the character you want to continue as a main. Event if you make a mistake, you still have enough extra. Just don't go claiming them with random newbie characters.

For loyalty, getting the 3 anchor packages that can port you back to your guild hall or personal house are the top picks. After that, it's the clickie bunny pet, character dolls, plat bags, and perfect aug distillers. Aug distillers won't matter to you for a long time, so don't worry about those.

Newer mobs will have better plat drops, but will be harder to kill. A tank merc shouldn't have a problem killing any even-ish con mob. If you're silver, get an apprentice 5, if you're gold, get a journeyman 1. Defiant armor means you'll be able to re-gear in about 20 minutes once you get some plat.

Edit:

All of your spells will be in PoK. Use find (ctrl-f) to find the druid spell vendors. We do get zephyrs (targeted ports with a confirmation box) to everywhere we have both a self and group port.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 9, 2015

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

utonium posted:

I'm playing casual right now, but on Test which is a easier pill to swallow once you start hitting the popular leveling zones. I also didn't have any gear or enough real plat to twink but you'll find life to be a hell of a lot easier once you get your merc.

Get the tank merc, damage shield him up, check out the hotzone NPC and collect the quest for your level range (on completion you will be able to pick a piece of gear, do this 3 times). Defiant Gear will start to drop for you, just not necessarily in every slot -- you may have to play the AH a bit for pieces you need or ask any goons.

Dying isn't a huge issue these days while leveling. You can summon your corpse at the guildhall and a merc cleric can revive it. Due to the weirdness of all the expansions and mob balance, you're going to find places where mobs are just easier to kill due to low hitpoints or less burst; or places with better xp. Explore, try out a dungeon or two, get the feel of aggro ranges, pulling, mob adds, running the hell out of zone -- the classic EQ stuff.

You're going to hit a few artificial walls post level 60 if you do not have help as a lot of the guides out there assume you're decked to the teeth or have a poo poo ton of plat and are experienced at pulling groups. If you do not meet those requirements, you're just going to level much slower. Mercs dps starts to drop off at some point, honestly I have never hit past level 71 due to the grind / AA farming, so I couldn't tell you when that happens. They seem to always poo poo out 2x more damage than me.

Always ask goons for advice as a lot of the playerbase assumes you already know what to do.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Awesome to see the before and after screenshots. :) I wish I could have done the same, but I played a Rogue back in the day and while I still have the same account, I just didn't want to play Rogue again when I reactivated around 6 years ago.

I would spend the loyalty crowns for at least one Bag of Platinum - it will yield around 15k plat, which is way more than enough to get all necessary spells, basic bags and Defiant gear to get up to speed.

Edit: Here are some hunting spot ideas for you, focusing on getting a soft and easy start:

Mountains of Rathe hill giants (now in the northeast corner of the zone) - your tank merc will be able to handle them easily.
Ocean of Tears spectres
Overthere, random wandering mobs all over
City of Mist entrance mobs (perhaps wait until you're level 40)
The Burning Wood wandering mobs - hot zone, so this will be great XP at level 40+
Blightfire Moors (in the TSS expansion) - wandering higher level mobs, beware that they are tougher than classic/Kunark mobs

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 10, 2015

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
Thanks for all the help here and in-game. It's nuts that this still plays like the same game, but now my char can buy loving FOOD that has better stats than the gear I had before.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

utonium posted:

Nostalgia post

I like your story. I wish more goons would tell awesome stories of nostalgia such as this.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

joshtothemaxx posted:

I like your story. I wish more goons would tell awesome stories of nostalgia such as this.
Are you still collecting responses for that MMO oral history project? When I was digging through this thread last week I saw your Google form and bookmarked it.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I want to start playing everquest again for the 400th time tin my life but i'm having a slight problem. I've just spent 2 hours digging through e-mails usernames and passwords and clicking into every possible server and not having any luck at all finding my old characters.

I played on test so after checking sveral accounts it made sense to me I wouldn't have anything on test 3 years later but I stopped playing around veil of alaris and had a 95 rogue 95 sk from live and a ton of multi boxes around 90 on test that must have went ka-put. I've tried probably every e-mail I remember unless there is something I am just missing entirely. Is there any way besides magelo (I never used it) to find what server my characters could possibly be on?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
They haven't wiped Test in many years (like ten+?), so it's unlikely your characters are gone unless they were deleted by you (or if you were hacked or something?) at some point. There used to be a Everquest version of WoW's armory (if you're at all familiar) called EQPlayers but it seems it was discontinued, in the last couple of years, that'd at least have shown you server/class if you could provide the character name, though IIRC you had to opt in for it in-game.

You might have some luck submitting a ticket and asking (particularly if you can provide personal information related to the accounts) but given the state of the server side staff nowadays it's probably unlikely they'll be able to help you.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

utonium posted:

Are you still collecting responses for that MMO oral history project? When I was digging through this thread last week I saw your Google form and bookmarked it.

Yeah. I am probably going to be doing that slowly for years, no joke. I've started adding them here: http://publichistorynorrath.wikia.com/. It's really just a placeholder and public archive until I get up the energy and time to make something that looks nice.

Thanks for the interest :)

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

suuma posted:

They haven't wiped Test in many years (like ten+?), so it's unlikely your characters are gone unless they were deleted by you (or if you were hacked or something?) at some point. There used to be a Everquest version of WoW's armory (if you're at all familiar) called EQPlayers but it seems it was discontinued, in the last couple of years, that'd at least have shown you server/class if you could provide the character name, though IIRC you had to opt in for it in-game.

You might have some luck submitting a ticket and asking (particularly if you can provide personal information related to the accounts) but given the state of the server side staff nowadays it's probably unlikely they'll be able to help you.

Ah maybe I was just trying the wrong account to check for test. I tried about 5 accounts (I found 8 daybreak accounts from emails so far) before I gave up. For some reason I logged into an old hotmail ive been using for 10 years and when it switched to outlook deleted all of my old email. I did a password reset on it but it doesnt seem that it ison that account either. I looked for eqplayers thinking it might be archived somewhere no such luck. I found 2 emails I used for boxing and reset them I am pretty sure (they had station accounts or whatever daybreak is called now ) and test had nothing on for them... and I know I was boxing them on test :(

I guess ill get ahold of customer service and see if they can point me ina right direction all I know is my chars names I dont know what account was what. Kina trippy I found my old Gates of Discord/Omens of War chars that I raided a LOT on and they are still geared standing around clueless at level 70. I might just have to start over thanks for the advice.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Oh my god am I an idiot how do I get rid of this drat sphere of light?!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

FalloutGod posted:

Oh my god am I an idiot how do I get rid of this drat sphere of light?!

what

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Meowbot posted:

Ah maybe I was just trying the wrong account to check for test. I tried about 5 accounts (I found 8 daybreak accounts from emails so far) before I gave up. For some reason I logged into an old hotmail ive been using for 10 years and when it switched to outlook deleted all of my old email. I did a password reset on it but it doesnt seem that it ison that account either. I looked for eqplayers thinking it might be archived somewhere no such luck. I found 2 emails I used for boxing and reset them I am pretty sure (they had station accounts or whatever daybreak is called now ) and test had nothing on for them... and I know I was boxing them on test :(

I guess ill get ahold of customer service and see if they can point me ina right direction all I know is my chars names I dont know what account was what. Kina trippy I found my old Gates of Discord/Omens of War chars that I raided a LOT on and they are still geared standing around clueless at level 70. I might just have to start over thanks for the advice.

If your guys are 10years old they probably have worse gear than what you can get from "Defiant armor." You can get to level60ish in a couple days on test, or hours if you get PLed. I wouldn't worry too much about it if you can't find your dudes.

SK+Wiz is a pretty solid duo.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

I joined the goon channel a few times in the last week to see what presence was still around but the most I've ever seen were 2 people on luclin and povar, is the game just dead goon wise?

I would be up for making a character or two if there are any chillaxed goons who have semi heavy to heavy play times still, probably even raid if I got the opportunity. Don't really care what server. Flexible on what class because I like them all.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Botnit posted:

I joined the goon channel a few times in the last week to see what presence was still around but the most I've ever seen were 2 people on luclin and povar, is the game just dead goon wise?

I would be up for making a character or two if there are any chillaxed goons who have semi heavy to heavy play times still, probably even raid if I got the opportunity. Don't really care what server. Flexible on what class because I like them all.

It's pretty much dead, and too spread out. There might be an individual or a pair on other servers. Jetz0r and I are on Xegony and we play once a week, hating Arx Mentis raids for the 932nd time, wondering when beta will come out, and welcoming the sweet embrace of death.

Corlen and Quarken have accounts here but Corlen is busy hustlin' and qxx is a man of mystery.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

Botnit posted:

I decided to start playing on test again and I got a monk, druid, magician to level 78 then I found my bard and ranger and am working on a monk, druid, magician, SK, ranger, bard box and I hate my life right now trying to juggle 6 windows on one monitor. They're in the high 70s low 80s. I was having a ton of fun just dicking around leveling up then I witnessed someone get from level 25-70 in less than 10 minutes and it made me super sad because I spent like a week getting to level 69.

I recommend if you wanna play EQ just go to test, its free and its pretty awesome. Oh, did I mention auto grant AA? Yeah, get 200+ AA per level and end up with 3500 AA at level 80. Its ridiculous.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
yeah going from 1-100 in a couple hours and ending up with a huge assortment of top gear does kind of ruin the 'magic' of EQ. but everyone should have to play from 1-80 at least once in their life

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I always hit a wall at around level 65 when the xp starts to slow down. This also takes me like 10 days.

Are people just being powerleveled by Rangers doing mass headshots or something?

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

Mayor McCheese posted:

I always hit a wall at around level 65 when the xp starts to slow down. This also takes me like 10 days.

Are people just being powerleveled by Rangers doing mass headshots or something?

There is a instance in POK outside the bank called the hatchery. They take a level 100ish char and gather up a few dozen mobs and then have the PL'd player use a PBAE potion. It is ridiculous how fast you level up doing this. Like I said probably 10 mins to go from 1-70. My level 77-82 characters are still trying to figure out where to go now that I'm done with loping plains for the most part.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Fort mech or something similar, like the zeka spires or whatever that gnome poo poo is all called are pretty good.

Korrascian Wastes and Toskirrak from Void; Pellucid Grotto from Underfoot is pretty good. Doing the Filling the Repository task is stupid amounts of xp. You can almost hit House of Thule - The Grounds, but you need top of the line lvl80 gear to do anything worthwhile.

For lvl65, hit up plane of storms and kill frogs. The exp is pretty good there. Honestly there are like thousand lvl 65 zones. But you really want to be in the oldest zones you can because the mobs are way easier.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I have a raid copy warrior & cleric that I've kind of wanted to level up a bit old-school style and do their 1.0s (already done quite a bit of the warrior one). If anyone wanted to join me, I might start playing again.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

In on test as Shaejun, lowly shadowknight trolling general chat while sitting alone in goon channel

Saw my first goon during some gfay event, never put forum name to in game name

Some guy is faking being given a 105 character by Absor during that stress test and people on test are getting super pissed about it

Botnit fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 4, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Botnit posted:

In on test as Shaejun, lowly shadowknight trolling general chat while sitting alone in goon channel

Saw my first goon during some gfay event, never put forum name to in game name

Some guy is faking being given a 105 character by Absor during that stress test and people on test are getting super pissed about it

Oh no, the integrity of Test and the millions of 105 test copies are ruined.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Node posted:

Oh no, the integrity of Test and the millions of 105 test copies are ruined.

How dare you!?!?! My 105 was levelled from level 1... well, 25 totally on Test.

(Please disregard the base double experience, free gear and infinite exp potions)

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Not that there's anyone still playing but double xp just started

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Alright, which one of you is austicshitlord on eqlive?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Me in real life.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

jetz0r posted:

Alright, which one of you is austicshitlord on eqlive?

All of them

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Just started a Ranger on Lockjaw, anyone want to trade some plat on FV for some banded? Newbie life is rough

Edit: just bought a Krono, newbie life is rough, time to twink an SK!

blatman fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 9, 2015

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I'm trying to spend daybreak cash and it just won't work when I try to add more funds.

I get a payment error through firefox, IE, chrome and same issue with paypal. I've tried multiple computers for 3 days now. When I try it through game it says "Failed to finalize final cost. Try again later." and I've tried for 3 days. I opened a ticket with daybreak 3 days ago and have had no response. I tried calling them but can't authenticate the account since I can't remember my security question ... this sucks since there is no way to buy marketplace items and I just want to give them money. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Meowbot posted:

I'm trying to spend daybreak cash and it just won't work when I try to add more funds.

I get a payment error through firefox, IE, chrome and same issue with paypal. I've tried multiple computers for 3 days now. When I try it through game it says "Failed to finalize final cost. Try again later." and I've tried for 3 days. I opened a ticket with daybreak 3 days ago and have had no response. I tried calling them but can't authenticate the account since I can't remember my security question ... this sucks since there is no way to buy marketplace items and I just want to give them money. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

:soe: