Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If you find the world and ideas intriguing but the pace and story don't hold you, try The Scar. Same world, much tighter plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

I'd say that or Embassytown.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Dienes posted:

I'd say that or Embassytown.

I think embassytown is his best novel, personally.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
For a starting point, the rest of the catalogue is earned after Perdido, with all the many connotations of "earn" applying to both the reader and the author.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Second story-by-story thoughts post (stories 11-19):

https://outtherebooks.wordpress.com/2015/07/20/three-moments-of-an-explosion-stories-by-china-mieville-my-thoughts-on-every-story-part-2/

Again, no major spoilers. But I do talk about the overall premise of each story.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
And I finished the book, so here's part three (stories 20-28):

https://outtherebooks.wordpress.com/2015/07/22/three-moments-of-an-explosion-stories-by-china-mieville-my-thoughts-on-every-story-part-3/

That post also has my overall review (which is also my Goodreads review) which I will share now!

My review posted:

It's easy to see why China Miéville took three years to release a new book after Railsea. Apart from a monthly comic series, he was beavering away on a huge variety of novelettes, short stories, and pieces of flash fiction. And that's the key selling point of this collection: variety. There is an enormous wealth of creative ideas bursting from the seams of this book, and while the execution doesn't always live up to the promise, I guarantee you that with each of the 28 stories of this book you will be presented with a new and unusual fantasy, SF, horror, or weird fiction idea, which will worm its way inside your head.

Miéville doesn't let readers at his ideas easily though. The premise of every story is buried in their middle pages, leaving the reader disorientated at first, having to find their own way in the story — before, like the sections of a puzzle box unfolding, the pieces are slowly unveiled. Think of how long the nature of the cities takes to be revealed in The City & the City. Every story within these pages is like that, writ small.

There are some stories in this book that will stay with you a long time. The absolute gems marry exceptional creativity with eloquent prose and brilliant execution. Other tales, however, might let you down if you're hoping for a definitive conclusion to the weirdness... but the journey through Miéville's mind will be worth it anyway. Most of the short, experimental pieces work well too, even when they are just fragments of stories.

If you've read through all of my story-by-story descriptions, you'll have seen me lament more than once for a proper ending. Resolution-shyness is the collection's biggest flaw, but I think Miéville chose to end most of the "culprit" stories ambiguously and abruptly in order to preserve the inexplicableness of the weird — and not for a lack of ending ideas. Regardless, this approach to storytelling is going to frustrate fans, newcomers, and critics alike. I definitely look forward to seeing what Miéville says about the stories in this book, in his inevitable upcoming interviews and appearances.

I can genuinely recommend this collection to any Miéville fan. It will terrify and amaze you. It's so weighty with rich imagination and prose skills honed over a brilliant career. However, I still think that novels are Miéville's finest medium, because longer works discipline him into developing his outlandish ideas more thoroughly and coming up with satisfying conclusions.

4.5 stars

I won't inundate this thread with the individual story thoughts, you can go to the blog posts for those.

Goddamn I can't wait for you all to get this book.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Woo, I'm getting a review copy this week!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Here's a 50 page preview of the book, for those who can't wait!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/272380004/Three-Moments-of-an-Explosion

It has the first four full stories and part of the fifth.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Of what I've read so far I've only enjoyed Polynia.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It really feels like he's been writing it in one sitting and switched stories whenever he got bored of one idea - without ever coming back. There's good stuff in there but very few stories are fully realized. In the Slopes and Estate in particular I'd love to have seen more of.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 29, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
There is a problem with lack of endings, but it doesn't pervade the whole book. "The 9th Technique", "Säcken" and "The Rabbet" all had delicious endings. I admit the majority had ambiguous or abrupt endings, but they're still good stories anyway.

IMO the only ones where the complete lack of resolution hurts the story were "After the Festival" and, to a lesser extent, "Keep" and "The Junket".

For what it's worth, the stories I loved the most in the collection were:
• Polynia
• The 9th Technique
• The Rope is the World
• Säcken
• The Bastard Prompt
• A Second Slice Manifesto
• Four Final Orpheuses
• The Rabbet
• The Design

That's a mix of ones with definite endings, and ones without. The strengths of all of them are the incredible ideas and the excellent writing.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

So this was written as his Next Book, rather than it being a collection of stories he's written here and there over the last few years?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Junkenstein posted:

So this was written as his Next Book, rather than it being a collection of stories he's written here and there over the last few years?

10 or 12 of the 28 stories were published elsewhere first, but only 2 of them were published before Railsea. So yeah, AFAIK this is the bulk of what he's been working on since 2012 (along with This Census Taker).

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

There is a problem with lack of endings, but it doesn't pervade the whole book. "The 9th Technique", "Säcken" and "The Rabbet" all had delicious endings. I admit the majority had ambiguous or abrupt endings, but they're still good stories anyway.

IMO the only ones where the complete lack of resolution hurts the story were "After the Festival" and, to a lesser extent, "Keep" and "The Junket".

For what it's worth, the stories I loved the most in the collection were:
• Polynia
• The 9th Technique
• The Rope is the World
• Säcken
• The Bastard Prompt
• A Second Slice Manifesto
• Four Final Orpheuses
• The Rabbet
• The Design

That's a mix of ones with definite endings, and ones without. The strengths of all of them are the incredible ideas and the excellent writing.

The main problem with this novel collection, which you also note on your blog, is the lack of good endings. I was expecting more from Mieville both in terms of storylines and intricacies. Nothing from Bas-Lag, so that universe should be definately dead now.
I came away lacking something in this novel collection, in contrast to Looking for Jake.
As for Säcken, I felt like I had read it before in a better version by Stephen King.
Nice reviews.

My favourites were:
Polynia
Dowager of Bees
Dreaded outcome
Keep
Covehithe (the best one)
Four Final Orpheuses (or rather the last one of them )
The Design

Come to think of it, all of these are kinda similar. Dowager, Dreaded and Design are all modern day stories with a fantastical element.
Polynia, Keep, Covehithe are all apocalypse scenarios with fantastical elements.

The Junket was kinda hilarious when the film title was presented.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Guess I'll add my favorites while we're at it:
-Three Moments of an Explosion. Flash fiction, but extremely evocative, got me thinking of ghosts of buildings and explosions as a short-lived sentient lifeform for quite a while. Miéville really shows how loving amazing he is in adding magic to the mundane here.
-New Death. I think I shared my interpretation of the story here before, and the idea and some of the imagery are disturbing as hell.
-In the Slopes, the story that really needed an ending was nonetheless a joy to read. I'd love to see this extended.
-Buzzard's Egg. It's a fantastic exercise in worldbuilding while deliberately avoiding the "show don't tell" rule. We don't see anything but it's evocative nonetheless.
-Säcken. As I said before, it's Miéville doing King or early Barker. He manages to be a lot more subtle and implicit than either.
-Dreaded Outcome. I got some experience with psychotherapy on both ends and the idea of TVT is amazing - exactly something a sociopath psychologist could concoct. It's absurdly humorous and yet chillingly close to real - reminds me of City And City that way.
-Keep. Literalizing the concept of personal space is, again, classic Miéville mundane turned magic. I don't even mind the lack of ending here, it works pretty well on the metaphorical level.
-Second Slice Manifesto, probably my favorite of the bunch. Simple but amazing idea, gets your mind toying with the whole concept of whether artists see the world in the same way as other people theme.
-The Design, not a very strong story on its own but a perfect coda to the book. There's not much to the story but the poetic way it's told in will absorb you; almost like it's not a text but a picture - or scrimshaw...

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
My copy is delayed, it won't be here until the 12th :(

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Just finishing up my first draft for the Lifted Brow.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

My copy got delivered to my parents' house by mistake.

Guess I know where I'm going this weekend.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hey guys, would you like to hear about

:siren: ANOTHER NEW 2016 NOVEL?? :siren:

THE LAST DAYS OF NEW PARIS is an intense and gripping tale set in an alternative universe: June 1940 following Paris’ fall to the Germans, the villa of Air-Bel in Marsailles, is filled with Trotskyists, anti-fascists, exiled artists, and surrealists. One Air-Bel dissident decides the best way to fight the Nazis is to construct a surrealist bomb. When the bomb is accidentally detonated, surrealist Cataclysm sweeps Paris and transforms it according to a violent, weaponized dream logic.

Confirmed by Tor.com in the last paragraph of their Three Moments review: http://www.tor.com/2015/08/04/book-reviews-three-moments-of-an-explosion-stories-by-china-mieville/

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Ooft, that sounds pretty good.

BigSkillet
Nov 27, 2003
I said teaberry, not sandalwood!
Skirting around writing another Bas Lag book by throwing Torque Bombs into an alternate-history novel? I'm wicked excited for that based on the brief description.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Now this sounds great.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

loving hell, CM owns

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Got my copy of Three Moments in today, now if I can just tear myself away from Bloodborne...

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Hmm..

Does this mean a mechanised Hitler, some melding of guns, tanks and the Fuhrer?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That man needs to write faster.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Hedrigall posted:

THE LAST DAYS OF NEW PARIS is an intense and gripping tale set in an alternative universe: June 1940 following Paris’ fall to the Germans, the villa of Air-Bel in Marsailles, is filled with Trotskyists, anti-fascists, exiled artists, and surrealists. One Air-Bel dissident decides the best way to fight the Nazis is to construct a surrealist bomb. When the bomb is accidentally detonated, surrealist Cataclysm sweeps Paris and transforms it according to a violent, weaponized dream logic.

I started with 'great some more wwii alternate history, at least it might be weird' to 'holy gently caress that is an insane premise' within the span of a blurb. Good god drat, such envy.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

That sounds Mieville as gently caress. I want it now.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I need that right now.

e: Maybe time to reread City and the City since I've binged Scar basically every summer for the last 3 years.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming
You wait 4 years for a new Mieville book and then three turn up at once.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Skelicopter posted:

The struggle is real.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Skelicopter posted:

Three?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

3 Moments of an Explosion, Census Taker (technically a novella but still counts), Last Days of New Paris

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

3 Moments of an Explosion, Census Taker (technically a novella but still counts), Last Days of New Paris

Ah yes, forgot about Census Taker.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
When it rains, it pours.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Le prince frais d'Air-Bel

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Reading through Three Moments right now, quite enjoying it. Just finished In the Slopes, what, er, uh, happened? I didn't really understand any of the significance of the later plot developments. What happened to Gilroy? What were the shining jewels in the resin casts? I can't tell if it was left intentionally vague or I'm a bad reader.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Hedrigall posted:

Hey guys, would you like to hear about

Confirmed by Tor.com in the last paragraph of their Three Moments review: http://www.tor.com/2015/08/04/book-reviews-three-moments-of-an-explosion-stories-by-china-mieville/

Andre Breton posted:

“The purest surrealist act is walking into a crowd with a loaded gun and firing into it randomly”

Really looking forward to this one.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

NicelyNice posted:

Reading through Three Moments right now, quite enjoying it. Just finished In the Slopes, what, er, uh, happened? I didn't really understand any of the significance of the later plot developments. What happened to Gilroy? What were the shining jewels in the resin casts? I can't tell if it was left intentionally vague or I'm a bad reader.

It had an enigmatic New Weird ending, which is to say I didn't really get it either :saddowns: ... but at least it was a well-written story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I didn't get that either. Also i didn't really understand the ending to Three Moments of an Explosion.