Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Choco1980 posted:

Also, do you have a general idea for when you wanted to do the Hellstream? I'm busy for like the next two and a half weeks but if it's after that I'd totally be down. I think we're already skype buddies despite possibly never actually talking to each other on there.

I'm not sure, but it likely won't be in the next two or three weeks. Invitations will be open until the stream happens :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!
As a survivor of the BoatStream, the thought of this gives me the beginnings of a migraine...sign me up...you bastard.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
sweet I'm totally in. I think Ghost Babel is my favorite story just because of how drat stupid it is.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

Also, for the record, there's one thing Dark Id didn't cover in his LP of Ghost Babel--the game has a vr missions mode. :shepicide:

...He did though?
http://lparchive.org/Metal-Gear-Ghost-Babel/Update%2049/

Or am I missing something?

BTW, Danaru, does Grace know about IdeaSpy? :allears:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

...He did though?
http://lparchive.org/Metal-Gear-Ghost-Babel/Update%2049/

Or am I missing something?

BTW, Danaru, does Grace know about IdeaSpy? :allears:

I forgot about the special missions, but that'd still be like if Danaru was only doing one mode of virtual missions here, and only shown to highlight the silly writing and sadistic requirements. There's still a whole slew of like, target missions and whatnot not shown there that look like an 8-bit version of what's going on right here in the thread presently.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:siren:Let's Play Metal Gear Solid VR Missions Episode 6 - Better Than 0th:siren:

Please note that immediately after declaring the speed up, I completed the mission on the next attempt :froggonk:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jul 28, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
w/r/t that puzzle with the guard and the c4 I only have this to say: Uh, well, actually, unenamleh, manamablamableh! Duh!! How could you not see that solution Dan???

edit: Wait, with the mine and the guard maze thing, why didn't you just blow yourself up again?

edit again: Oh it's because you had like no health, right. Forgot about that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 26, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Why do they have so many "get sighted and fail" objectives given how finicky the controls are?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SSNeoman posted:

Why do they have so many "get sighted and fail" objectives given how finicky the controls are?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:siren:Let's Play Metal Gear Solid VR Missions Episode 7 - Enemy Unknown:siren:

I forget exactly when we mention it, since I was more focused on trying to fix the fact that apparently I managed to clip my audio every god drat time I laughed good thanks, but here's the video where the Japanese lady has two baby red pandas in her house. It's kawaii as gently caress.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Diamonds are in fact Gems... But more important Diamonds are forever.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I never knew about the Ufo. Or the double Genollas.

And if Grace thinks that's out there...wait for Snake Tales

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

what

the gently caress

did I just watch :psyduck:

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Snake got abducted by a ufo? What is this game? I'm feeling now that it's definitely worth grinding through the weapon missions to unlock puzzle & variety after all! Some of the failure conditions seen seem pretty strict but it's balanced by how short the missions generally are. Except for the few really dickish ones you're not losing a whole lot of time trying again from the start.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah seriously. Your "reward" for doing all the semi-generic skill based levels is the fun stuff starts. We still have mystery and ninja, plus the other mode that Danaru is staying coy about to blow your mind. The best is being saved for last with this portion.

Also, for the record one of my favorite "wtf mgs?" Moments comes in a Substance giant mission that, like this one, has things work unexpectedly if you know what you're doing...

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Choco1980 posted:

Also, for the record one of my favorite "wtf mgs?" Moments comes in a Substance giant mission that, like this one, has things work unexpectedly if you know what you're doing...

I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about, and I'll definitely be showing that off :getin:

:siren:
Let's Play MGS VR Missions Episode 8 - When The Snakes Cry

We finish up NG Selection and get into Mystery mode, which is my personal favourite just because of how much fun the devs had with it. We also start VR Mission, and uh, it goes...

Danaru fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 31, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Grace's befuddlement at the bizarro logic moments make the whole LP worth it. Also saving the best for last with the Ninja mode I see (as well as something unnamed so far...)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

For all your MGS board game needs please see Metal Gear Ac!d 1.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Choco1980 posted:

Also saving the best for last with the Ninja mode I see (as well as something unnamed so far...)

Ninja mode is fantastic and frankly it's a drat shame there wasn't either more missions, or a full on game using the mechanics. At least there's a Grey Fox skin in Revengeance.

I actually might release the next episode a day before I planned to just because I want everyone to see Ninja mode. Also because we're recording the first session of MGS2 very soon :ssh:

SSNeoman posted:

For all your MGS board game needs please see Metal Gear Ac!d 1.

:unsmigghh:

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

In the original VR missions, did you get those clues at the start of each stage of Mystery mode? I'm certain it didn't say such blatant things as "Someone has taken the criminal's mask". I mean, I know it's just Spot The Difference but I'm sure those clues weren't there. :colbert:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Green Wing posted:

In the original VR missions, did you get those clues at the start of each stage of Mystery mode? I'm certain it didn't say such blatant things as "Someone has taken the criminal's mask". I mean, I know it's just Spot The Difference but I'm sure those clues weren't there. :colbert:

This IS the original VR missions :v: The PSN version is unchanged from the original disc version

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Danaru posted:

This IS the original VR missions :v: The PSN version is unchanged from the original disc version

Welp I am just bad at remembering.

Also you two playing along with Mystery 10 was adorable. "Oh gosh all of these clues! :ohdear:"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Hahaha what the gently caress I had no idea any of this crazy poo poo was in VR Missions

I rented it as a kid (because I have been a huge MGS fan since roughly age six) but got tripped up on the weapon missions and thought that was the whole game

Genola is... certainly a god drat thing

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Oh we're not done with the surprises yet for this game. Just wait til next update. Danaru's saving the best for last for sure...

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play MGS VR Missions Episode 9 - Finale

I cut out a bunch of footage of me loving up constantly, so during the VR mission, I expected to cut out the footage, leading me to play as if no one was watching. Bizarrely enough the second I think anyone is watching I become like 5 times worse. THIS IS PROOF I TOLD YOU I WAS GOOD AT VIDEO GAMES

Also apologies for the last ten minutes just being me enjoying a nostalgia bomb. :v:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm really excited for MGS2. I think Grace has played it before but doesn't remember any of it? There's nothing quite like a person going through MGS2 blind and reacting to all the greatness.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm really excited for MGS2. I think Grace has played it before but doesn't remember any of it? There's nothing quite like a person going through MGS2 blind and reacting to all the greatness.

A couple years back we blitzed through the four main games during a week, which is actually what gave us the idea for the thread.

If Grace were playing we probably would have just gotten past the tank. :v: Seriously if you think I'm bad at games, go watch Kirby Superstar.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So Dan are you just being coy or do you genuinely not know about the Beauty and the Beast thing?

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
The intro really spoils just about everything huh? Really cool game with a lot more to it than I'd initially thought. I'd say Mystery mode was just the silliest and best thing. Ninja could've been the best had it been more than three missions. That VR Mission guantlet ranks up there too.

"I don't like Naomi."
I can agree with this. I mean, does anybody like here? Even back in '98 I thought she sucked. Think I even dislike her more than I do Big Boss. Oh and those TGS videos have some gold in them. "Ocerot" "Tankman" "Valcan"...

Thanks for showing off the full extent of this crazy game. And guess what? Now you have footage to splice into MGS2 videos any time VR Training gets brought up!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

pick-e posted:

Thanks for showing off the full extent of this crazy game. And guess what? Now you have footage to splice into MGS2 videos any time VR Training gets brought up!

Raiden : I've had extensive training -- the kind that's indistinguishable from the real thing.

Pliskin : Like what?

Raiden : Well mainly punching gems and blowing myself up on my own claymores.

SSNeoman posted:

So Dan are you just being coy or do you genuinely not know about the Beauty and the Beast thing?

I know a couple 'different things about B&B, they're mostly creepy and uncomfortable, as such I'll be showing them off when the time comes :v:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
I was thinking of making a joke about how the American version footage was all action music and explosions, while the Japanese one was all slow, vocal themes and cutscenes, but then you showed the TGS B-roll video. :v:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Danaru posted:

Raiden : I've had extensive training -- the kind that's indistinguishable from the real thing.

Pliskin : Like what?

Raiden : Well mainly punching gems and blowing myself up on my own claymores.

I know a couple 'different things about B&B, they're mostly creepy and uncomfortable, as such I'll be showing them off when the time comes :v:

The thing is, the game itself pulls that gag during that exchange. It's dumb and great and I love it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

For the third game in what is slowly turning into "let's play every loving metal gear game ever" thread, we come to Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, the Metal Gear game I've played the most! For reference, I 100% collected every dogtag back when I played on the PS2.

And I enjoyed it.

What version is this?

We're playing the Metal Gear Solid 2 HD edition! It includes everything from Substance except the skateboarding. It has a couple quirks, but frankly it's an excellent port.

What are the drinking conditions this time?

As always:

Status goes to alert: 1 drink
Using a ration: 2 drinks
Game Over: 1 shot

This time, however, we're adding drinking words. The words to drink on are:

Nanomachines
Patriots/LaLiLuLeLo
Metal Gear

You may remember we were going to have a system where we picked drinking words from a list, but that was overcomplicated, so we used the most popular ones.

As a bonus: This will be a 100% dog tag collection attempt for the plant only. For every percentage point missed, I'll take a drink of bud light apple, which you may remember was the most offensive bullshit I've drank so far.

What beer were you drinking during X episode?

The drinks are being tracked in this post, Including the beeradvocate rank and my own personal rank. Shockingly Beeradvocate and I don't agree too often!

Hey, are you going to show off [thing]?

Probably! Some of the more well known easter eggs I might leave out just because I forget, but I'll be trying to show off some of the crazier or lesser known stuff.

:siren:Let's Play Metal Gear Solid 2 Episode 1 - Sweet Shades:siren:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 5, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hell yes. This game is loving crazy, I'm so looking forward to you guys' reactions to it. :getin:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
oh my god you're gonna get tore the gently caress up unless you play in one hour chunks a day apart.

Seriously with those three words in particular that isn't a drinking game, that's just... drinking. Hard drinking.

e;

You might actually need to throw up mid-recording to make room for more beer in the last third of the game. That's the kind of drinking you're in for. The final stretch of the game is a two hour long cutscene and you're going to be taking approximately 1.5 drinks every sentence. Assuming roughly a fluid ounce of beer per drink, you'll kill most of a 30-rack in the climax alone.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 5, 2015

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Willie Tomg posted:

oh my god you're gonna get tore the gently caress up unless you play in one hour chunks a day apart.

Seriously with those three words in particular that isn't a drinking game, that's just... drinking. Hard drinking.

One thing I never realized until recording is that the marine commandant never stops saying Metal Gear holy gently caress.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Danaru posted:

One thing I never realized until recording is that the marine commandant never stops saying Metal Gear holy gently caress.

Yeah when I read those rules one of the first things I heard in my brain was "something something challenges posed by a Metal Gear. The only thing that can stop a Metal Gear is another Metal Gear" and just sorta facepalmed briefly when i realized that was the non-insane part of the game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Olga is probably my favorite female character in any Metal Gear game. I'm glad to hear you like her as most people kinda forget about her.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!
I absolutely love the Tanker Chapter, despite being fairly linear there are so many neat details that never show up again. From small stuff like breaking plates and bottles and the drat ice cubes, to being able to permanently dispose of enemies by throwing them overboard, it ends up playing more like a sandbox. It's essentially a vertical slice demo level. It's a shame that the Plant chapter couldn't follow suit.

I remember reading in some gaming magazine that Ray was built to destroy other Metal Gears and, even as a hyped up ~15 year old, I remember thinking that Ray looked really stupid and would never be able to take down a Rex; I choose to believe that the Metal Gear fight sequence in MGS4 was Kojima's way of saying that he agreed with me. Also I was actually spoiled on the Raiden switcheroo before I played the game, and I always felt that knowing that beforehand allowed me to enjoy the game more than I would have had I been "tricked."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

Iron Chitlin posted:

Also I was actually spoiled on the Raiden switcheroo before I played the game, and I always felt that knowing that beforehand allowed me to enjoy the game more than I would have had I been "tricked."
I was spoiled on Raiden when I got home with the game and opened the instruction book to look for the controls. On the very first page which is the contents it lists "Player Characters". Characters? With an s? I just had to zip right to that page and see what was up. The book even goes so far as to tell you the sword controls which had always left me thinking, were they really even trying to hide anything?